Author Topic: Give when your gone  (Read 4305 times)

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
Give when your gone
« on: June 30, 2011, 09:25:53 PM »
Has you  considered being an organ donor  ? Think about it , Talk about it , Do something about it .  There is no need to post your thoughts just consider . Its your chance to help others
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline outback jack

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Give when your gone
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 09:48:23 PM »
yeah mate, have been registered as an organ donor for many years (don't think my liver would qualify though)  :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Brett B

• Hard Top Camper User
  • just cruzin
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 09:49:29 PM »
They can have all my bits thats if there any good might make em feel worse
97 80 series and home made ct

Offline Jason B

• "Mark Goldie recovery team coordinator"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series Turbo DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper 2013 SE
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 09:51:16 PM »
Done.

Offline jtraf

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 09:58:29 PM »
Funny this came up tonight. Told my parents last night that both me and the wife are organ donors and that in the event of something happening I want to be recycled........mum got upset with me but it is better for all the family to know your wishes.  The world had enough soil already and if my bits are still good why not?
James - 1994 Patrol GQ TD42T Auto dragging around our 2007 Trackabout Safari Camper

Offline skog

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 10:02:50 PM »
We have been on the register for a few years.
But make sure you tell your family of your wishes.

Offline Silvo

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The grass is greener where you water it..
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 10:08:01 PM »
Being registered doesn't mean a thing.. You need it in your will. If you are only registered, when and if it happens, your family can over rule it if they choose at the time.
Dan - 2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE and Lifestyle Camper AT10 EVO

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 10:18:55 PM »

I've got it noted on my licence.  Don't think they'd want my lungs (smoker), my liver (drinker) or my eyes (I wear glasses).  But I think everything else might be okay-ish.  I wouldn't mind being recycled.   Family can bury what evers left over.

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 08:21:08 AM »
YEp......The misses and I are up for the ultimate recycling program.............may as well let someone else use it when we are gone.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 08:34:15 AM »
They can have anything that's any good....but they may have to do some searching. !!

And Speewa.....is that the 1st....or 2nd......logical, well spoken, well spelt and understandable post you've ever made. ??????????     ;D ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 08:55:18 AM »
Being registered doesn't mean a thing.. You need it in your will. If you are only registered, when and if it happens, your family can over rule it if they choose at the time.
I really don't think this would make any difference at all. We didn't find my Brothers will for about a week and a half after he died. which was way too late. unless of course you know the content of the will. They did take skin from him. You almost have to die in a hospital before your organs can be donated as every minuet after that the organs start to die too.
I know my parents want to be donors if possible and I figure I wont be needing the bits anymore so if by donating my organs it would be the last act of helping people in their time of need that I could do so that makes me feel good. I help save lives regularly (SES Volunteer road crash operator)  so it wold finish there.
Regards
Crisp Image

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 09:01:14 AM »
The shortage of available organs should be a relatively easy fix. All that is needed is an enforceable approval on drivers licences that states that if you don't approve the use of your organs if you die, you don't receive organs from others if you are in the need for spares. That way, only people who are willing to donate receive the benefits from others with the same views.
I also put up for discussion a system where registered donor's could receive a free (budget style) service and cremation paid by the relevant Government. The $3000 cost is pretty minimal compared to the medical cost of transplants, and many people who have loved ones that die, are financially ruined by the cost of dealing with the cost of death. This would both alleviate many cases of grief, and should raise a good stock of used parts.
Jamie Dunne was pushing this on 4BC Brisbane radio, but left the station before much was done.
As an aside, just remember that prepaid funerals are not necessarily the end of the costs. My father died last year with the thoughts that his prepaid funeral meant no stress on the family. It still cost nearly $800 extra to what he had paid, and that didn't even include a service or hearse.
Cheers

Offline Yoda42

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Beagle kisses don't grow hair
    • Travels With Beagles Blog
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 09:09:04 AM »
Alternatively, make the system an "opt out" one - ie you have to specifically state "somewhere" that you DON'T want your organs used.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 2 beagles & an Lifestyle Reconn
http://travelswithbeagles.blogspot.com

Offline Pauly

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Whats This?
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 11:20:11 AM »
Thats the best solution, opt out not in. I think I read somewhere they were having trouble processing organs quick enough which would be typical, advertise to increase but dont increase infrastructure to cope. Im an organ donor has been on my licence since it started. The funny thing is the only part of my body im a bit concerned about donating is my eyes, just incase theres an after life i wanna be able to see the girls and the fridge ;D

Cheers Pauly

New ride 2005 Landcruiser Sahara, Mickey T,s, dual batts Arb Sahara Bar, HID lights :)

Self made camper

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Sorry, did i offend you with my Common Sense?
    • Everyday Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 12:17:23 PM »
They can have anything that's any good....but they may have to do some searching. !!

And Speewa.....is that the 1st....or 2nd......logical, well spoken, well spelt and understandable post you've ever made. ??????????     ;D ;D
refer to link  >:D

http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=14517.0
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/markgu/patrol?fu=5470975

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 03:15:43 PM »
I've got it noted on my licence and I’ve also told my family I want to donate should something happen to me.

I have 2 close friends how were born with health problems and both needed Lung Transplants a couple of years ago. Without a couple of generous people offering critical organs when they passed away, these 2 fantastic people wouldn’t be still with us today.

Offline Silvo

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The grass is greener where you water it..
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2011, 06:44:19 PM »
I really don't think this would make any difference at all. We didn't find my Brothers will for about a week and a half after he died. which was way too late. unless of course you know the content of the will.
Regards
Crisp Image

Actually checked again and having it in your will still means nothing as you mentioned..family has final say, everything else just helps them to understand what you wanted.

Dan
Dan - 2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE and Lifestyle Camper AT10 EVO

Offline sandman

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2011, 07:37:21 PM »
I've told everyone in my family that if any part of me can be used to help someone else's life then I want them to take. Seriously I won't need it anymore when I'm dead!