Author Topic: Second hand SURPRISE  (Read 6519 times)

Offline jtraf

• Tent User
Second hand SURPRISE
« on: June 28, 2011, 09:42:45 PM »
Stopped past JB HiFi on the way home tonight to buy the wife a new camera as she has been complaining that my D-SLR is to hard to carry around......anyway did my usual cant be stuffed approach as I had already gotten price I was willing to pay.

Go up to sales guy and tell him I want that camera with that card and that case and if you can do price x I will take it now.......no probs he does the deal and I pay and drive home thinking of the browny points I am going to earn from this gesture....

Anyway to cut a long story short I get home and give her the camera and she is wrapped all the way up to the point where she opens it and the bloody thing is used!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not talking display model but bloody used with dings and scratches and all unpacked...........SWMBO then asks why I put it in the JB HiFi bag if I had bought it on eBay  

Now I have to go back and blow my top for being provided second hand $hit....sort of takes the shine off a surprise

NOT BLOODY HAPPY.....

James - 1994 Patrol GQ TD42T Auto dragging around our 2007 Trackabout Safari Camper

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Second hand SURPRISE
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 10:16:10 PM »
Cant wait to see what sort of reply you get from them :D

Does the serial # on the camera match the docket?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 09:12:20 AM »
Good luck
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline jtraf

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 10:16:58 AM »
Rang them this morning first thing and they said that it was just a big mistake......

I voiced how upset I was with being sold second hand goods when buying from a retailer and he just fobbed it off.......We will get you a new one in sorry come in and pick it up...

Moral of the story is to open the box prior to leaving the store from now on.
James - 1994 Patrol GQ TD42T Auto dragging around our 2007 Trackabout Safari Camper

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 10:23:07 AM »
Quote from: jtraf
I voiced how upset I was with being sold second hand goods when buying from a retailer and he just fobbed it off
Sadly did you expect more these days? The bloke is probably on .001% commission on sales and couldn't care less

When you go in, ask to see the manager. Tell him his staff couldnt give a rats arse. and that this was a birthday present - and your missus walked out on you leaving you in a restaurant with a $300 bill for food nobody was going to eat when you handed her a used camera for her birthday. See if the guilt trip gets you anything.

I'd ask for bux back and go elsewhere, but you already know they wont do that.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 10:25:26 AM »
They made a mistake and they are going to fix it. What is it you are after???
Living the Dream.

Offline Wandering Tassie

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 10:40:12 AM »

Agree, we all make them from time to time, get it replaced and move on.

Trevor

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 10:42:55 AM »
Maybe this should be moved to http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=10728
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 10:46:43 AM »

Exactly what I was thinking.  Mistakes happen, they acknowledged the mistake and apologised..... time to move on I reckon.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 10:47:04 AM »
Quote from: darren
Blood...

Mistake? Why would they have a Second hand camera in stock? packaged up all nice and new - they were always going to try and sell it as new.
Wonder how often they sell stuff the staff take away on holidays as new?
Obviously its something they dont have issues with doing and selling as new. If they did they would have been a bit more concerned than 'stiff Shit mate'

Accepting poor service is why customer service in this country will never improve.

YMMV
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 10:50:33 AM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline rescue1

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • D40 Navara [HIS] T31 X-Trail [HERS]
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 10:59:30 AM »
You'd be surprised the things that happen to retailers stock. My neighbour recently bought a new 80 channel UHF CB and asked me to fit it for him. The box contained a 40 channel CB that was a rival brand, when they took it back to the retailer it seemed that it had been returned by a customer a few days beforehand (and the previous customer had seemed to have pulled the switch)

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 11:01:16 AM »
Mistake? Why would they have a Second hand camera in stock? packaged up all nice and new - they were always going to try and sell it as new

I guess your view is that it was intentional.  I tend to think it was simply a mistake.  When you've worked with some of the people I have over the years it doesn't surprise me that someone accidently put a second hand item back in a new box.  You would be surprised how many people in our society are seemingly running on a couple of brains cells.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 11:25:57 AM »
Quote from: rotare
I guess your view is that it was intentional.
who knows, but customer walks in 'this is what I want and all Im going to pay is X" probably wasnt wat the kid serving on commission was hoping to hear.

Depending on the staff member and the day he could have just thought
anyway if james is happy, thats all that matters in the end. Im just over Shit customer service in this country. In many country, (try drive thru food places for example) in this place diabolical doesnt even come close to their service..
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 11:30:19 AM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline bussoboy

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Wanting to travel before all the roads are sealed
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 01:32:46 PM »
As someone who spent 25 years as an automotive spare parts guy in retail, wholesale and dealership levels i can see both sides of this but what it boils down to is people want a bargain so stores will only pay crap wages to keep costs down, the big fall down is if you pay crap you employ crap -

there is no way I'ld put up with stuff these people have to deal with day in and day out for what they take home anymore

as for a 2nd hand camera, i know of someone buying a 4 stroke lawnmower from Kmart and mowing their lawn with it before realizing that they didn't put any oil in it.........so what did they do, they put it back in the box, sealed it up and returned it back and got a refund, no questions asked
2011 GXL 200 Series & 2017 Kokoda Endure 111

Offline jtraf

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 02:33:06 PM »
What do I expect?????? That is a great question............I expect to get the product that I bought the first time.....Now I understand if it is faulty I can live with that, not an issue.  But to be sold second hand gear I am sorry that  is just rubbish.

I will go down there and I will voice my dissatisfaction because my time is just as valuable as their's.

Happy to buy second hand that is not the issue.  When I bought it I was in and out because I knew what I wanted.  I didn't haggle the earth out of it.  I did not hassle the salesmen with 50 questions.  I knew what I wanted and was happy to pay and leave.  He even checked it while I walked over to the register to pay for it and placed into a plastic bag for me to take home.

I also have an expectation that if they have return items that they check them prior to putting them back on the shelf.

At the end of the day all I have said is check whats in the bag prior to leaving the store. I didn't and got caught out so I have drive out of my way again tonight and get what I should have gotten last night.

Also has taken the shine off it a little as you would expect being a gift and all.........

James

Offline craigtempo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • welcome to the party that never ends
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 03:00:51 PM »
well i wouldnt expect to be given a second hand product ...... i dont give a s##t what there excuse is .jb hifi is an electrical department store . go to david jones and buy a camera , a bed a tele do u think they would give u a second hand one .

craig

Offline baldheadedgit

• Hard Top Camper User
  • your shout.?.. I'll ave Arf.......!
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 03:49:58 PM »
jtraf.......fully agree mate,,, get a replacement and compensation..and don't leave the shop till you do,, stand your ground....
I had a similar thing,,, Bought a part for the washing machine,,,control panel, all electronic...had an hours drive to pick it up from the shop,,plus tolls on motorway, fuel etc... cost of part $125.
Got home, fitted the part,, same problem, didn't work,,,....peed of to say the least.. rang the shop....sorry, we sold you a returned part...
Back i go to the shop..more tolls, more fuel. more time...........ready to rip someones head of... the guy hands me the new part, sorry bout that he Say's......... Sorry,!!! sorry!!!! is that all you got.. at this point i exploded..... ;D
left the shop with the new part and a full refund..  freebie, my kind of compensation... :cheers:

Poverty Pack.!

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 04:59:05 PM »
This seems pretty rampant these days. I have been stung a couple of time now on mobile phones.
I have had the sim put in in the shop etc and then when I have had a chance to sit down and work them out properly I have found other peoples photos and stuff on them.................................I hate the thought of paying for new and ending up with a previous customers returned product.......it feels like they are just trying to pull the wool over your eyes......how stupid do these people think the average man in the street is.........

Offline 2 Brutal

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 08:11:36 PM »
Yes then there is the kind of customer that should be in jail who doesn't pay for anything and just walks out with stuff. >:( >:(
Custom made stone guards and boat loaders for Jayco Outbacks and more.

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 08:35:56 PM »
There not customers....they're thieves and should be held accountable....but so should the retailer / manufacturer for repackaging goods and try and pass them off as new...

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2011, 08:39:56 PM »
I have stuffed up at work.. even over a million dollars worth...
 Obviously you blokes dont.... It must be good
Living the Dream.

Offline singo-26

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Gone bush permanently!
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2011, 08:43:38 PM »
There not customers....they're thieves and should be held accountable....but so should the retailer / manufacturer for repackaging goods and try and pass them off as new...

So should the retailer be held responsible if this is the action of a customer being dishonest. It is very possible that a customer has used then returned the camera for credit and the retailer is only guilty of taking the customers word that the camera has not been used.
Steve

2001 HZJ105 and a custom rearfold softfloor.

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 09:08:25 PM »
Wouldn't the retailer have noticed the ding and scratches as per the original post.................

Yes I have stuffed up and thats why I carry professional indemnity insurance but it would not cover misleading or deceptive conduct...........

This ins't a case of a simple stuff up the camera had been repackaged and sold as new.

Offline singo-26

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Gone bush permanently!
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2011, 09:21:17 PM »
Wouldn't the retailer have noticed the ding and scratches as per the original post.................

Yes I have stuffed up and thats why I carry professional indemnity insurance but it would not cover misleading or deceptive conduct...........

This ins't a case of a simple stuff up the camera had been repackaged and sold as new.

The dents and scratches would not have been noticed If The retailer looked at a well presented box, looked to be unopened or only opened for the purpose of looking and deciding it was unsuitable (for whatever reason). I still have the box for my camera and with a wipe to remove the dust (it's stored in a cupboard with all receipts and instructions) it could well pass as only a week old, If i were to put my camera in the box and return it for credit externally it would appear as unopened although 6 months old. As I said, and I have reread the first post, It is possible that the retailer has not deceived jtraf but have been deceived by a dishonest customer.
Steve

2001 HZJ105 and a custom rearfold softfloor.

Offline 2 Brutal

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2011, 09:39:44 PM »
Here's a good 1 about a dishonest customer, had a customer last week complain about the rust appearing on a 4wd product he supposedly bought 3 years ago from somewhere in NSW or Vic, I explained how he would need to provide proof of purchase if it is to be a warranty claim, he never bought it from us so it could have been 3rd hand for all we knew, he starts to rant and rave and reckons we should follow up a proof of purchase. >:( >:( Um no that is your problem, so he rings the supplier and the supplier can hear his Mrs in the back ground calling out how the product would be about 8 years old at least. >:( >:( >:(
Custom made stone guards and boat loaders for Jayco Outbacks and more.