Author Topic: Heading to Frazer Island  (Read 5899 times)

Offline paulw

• Sleeping Bag User
Heading to Frazer Island
« on: June 26, 2011, 08:37:03 AM »
Hi Everybody..  Planning a trip to Frazer Island in September for a week.  Unfortunately weren't able to avoid the qld. school holiday period.  Haven't been before so any tips on the best camp spots etc. would be appreciated.  Don't need facilities in particular.  haven't investigated costs yet or bookings for that time of year.  I would like to think that we would not be committed to booking ahead for the entire week so any info would be great.  Cheers. Paul
Why do people spend all of THEIR time and money to get to where WE spend all of our time and money to get away from?

Offline paulw

• Sleeping Bag User
Re: Heading to Frazer Island
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 09:33:59 AM »
Forgot to mention, will be taking the camper trailer
Why do people spend all of THEIR time and money to get to where WE spend all of our time and money to get away from?

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 09:41:19 AM »
Any of the camp grounds are good. We have stayed at Central Station and more recently at Dili Village, which was fantastic. There is plenty of camping behind the dunes, but I couldn't recommend any particular spot.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline V8100

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 10:42:49 AM »
We were there around that time last year camped at central station but probably wouldnt again. as big jules said Dilli Village looked great. Central was too far out to everything for our liking and everything stayed wet due to being in the middle of a rainforest .  In saying all of that had an awsome time and cant wait to return.

cheers ed
2010 Navara d22(gone)
2004 jayco swan
2003 V8 cruiser

Offline Kirky

• Swag User
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 11:21:20 AM »
Has anyone stayed at the Big 4 at Cathedral Beach?

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 04:49:18 PM »
Has anyone stayed at the Big 4 at Cathedral Beach?

Stayed there for 6 nights in the CT on a powered site back in April this year. It is not up to the standards of your normal Big4. The only thing it had going for it really was showers/toilets and washers/dryers. The amenities block I would rate a 5 out of 10. Recommend you take shower thongs.
Being about half way up the island it is a good base for day trips.
We want to go back to Fraser and would probably bush camp this time as we know what the island is like.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 06:43:39 PM »

Being about half way up the island it is a good base for day trips.

we are regular visitors to Fraser and always camp on the beach, and this is our thinking also, anywhere about halfway up the island. anywhere from say The Maheno to Dundaburra stretch we try and find a nice spot to set up on.
September should see you with the added bonus of whales being seen daily and not real far out to sea, is great to be sitting having breakfast looking out at the ocean and a whale jumps up out of the ocean, Tailor fishing should be pretty good also.
IMHO the Big 4 is to expensive considering how run down it is, though i have friends who love going there when they visit the island, so each to their own. Dilli Village is to far South for my likings and Central Station i just don't like at all, Dundaburra is ok if you want the family to camp in a fenced area but IMHO you can't beat camping right on the beach looking out at the ocean every time.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Shager

• Swag User
  • Hi
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 06:51:14 PM »
What is it like these days with dingos. I haven't been to the island for about 7 yrs, now I have children, I used to camp on the beach as dingos did not bother me, but now being a father I am a bit concerned.
life is a gift best lived boldly

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 06:56:15 PM »
We are staying at Dilli  Village next week and I can't tell you yet what its like, but the ability to have a fire ( don't forget its winter ) is one of the reasons we picked it...plus the recomendations of the my swag mob who went there last year..
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline LC

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 08:44:19 PM »
Any of the camp grounds are good. We have stayed at Central Station and more recently at Dili Village, which was fantastic. There is plenty of camping behind the dunes, but I couldn't recommend any particular spot.

x2
Here is the
to our Fraser Video, in the first few minutes are some pictures of Dilli Village. Having looked at the others i.e. Central Station and Cathederal Beach I would not bother with anything other than Dilli Village. Their email address is dillivillage@usc.edu.au
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 08:46:24 PM by Lcandlc »
MY 2016 200 series Sahara
2016 Lifestyle Reconn

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 08:48:45 PM »
watch out for the sink hole thats opened... see video in another thread
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Swogjb

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 09:02:39 PM »
x2
Here is the to our Fraser Video, in the first few minutes are some pictures of Dilli Village. Having looked at the others i.e. Central Station and Cathederal Beach I would not bother with anything other than Dilli Village. Their email address is dillivillage@usc.edu.au

Top class video with awesome soundtrack :cup:
 :cheers:

Toyata Landcruiser TD 200 GXL
Trackabout Safari SV Extenda

Offline paulw

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 09:11:58 PM »
Thanks all.  I am gaining a bit more of an insight into the place.  keep it coming.  thanks for the video
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 09:13:58 PM by paulw »

Offline ddr

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 08:25:30 AM »
Having seen all the campgrounds Id only ever camp on the beach.  We did it last time & would def stay on the beach if/when we go again.

If you dont need or take your own facilities, there is nothing quite like the surrounds that right on the beach provides.

When we were there 2 years ago we saw 2 Dingos in 2 weeks.  They never came near us but we were always vigilant with food & scraps being locked away.

Offline nick 08

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 09:33:23 AM »
We have been there for our annual Fraser trip for the last 5 years just came back the end of may.

We have camped in most spots up and down the east side and found north of orchid beach and waddy point the better spot, we saw 2 dingos in a week and hardly any backpackers they are only allowed to waddy point in hire 4x4s i think.

The service station at orchid has everything from hot food, alcohol, bait and tackle, free water and air, ice and a pub with a view :cheers: and its not that far for day trips from most spots.

Don't forget your beach rods cause its good fishing just follow the locals  ;D

Nick
08 Triton GLX R with all the gear
Trackabout Deluxe tourer camper

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 09:42:49 AM »
We are staying at Dilli  Village next week and I can't tell you yet what its like, but the ability to have a fire ( don't forget its winter ) is one of the reasons we picked it...plus the recomendations of the my swag mob who went there last year..
you can have fires on the beach at Fraser Island if you know the rules!!!
plenty of people won't believe me as all they hear is NO FIRES ALLOWED, but you are allowed fires, they just have to be a certain sort and use a certain fuel.
when camped on the beach you need a drum to have the fire in (braziers not allowed)
recommended 300mm up off of the sand in height so as not to heat the sand underneath it
drum should have a grate in it for the fire to burn on and then the ash falls to the bottom of the drum where it is collected
NO TIMBER ALLOWED TO BE BURNT!!!!!
fuel has to be a manufactured product (so anything like sawdust logs, heatbeads and compressed newspaper logs is exceptable)
take the ash with you when you leave, don't bury it
follow those rules and you can have a fire (Total fire bans overule this obviously), we've been doing it for years and the Rangers have even seen our drum and asked to see what we have been burning (i showed them our sawdust logs and heatbeads).

What is it like these days with dingos. I haven't been to the island for about 7 yrs, now I have children, I used to camp on the beach as dingos did not bother me, but now being a father I am a bit concerned.
dingo's are the same as they have always been, don't let your kids out of your sight and they'll be fine.
we've camped on the beach with both our kids since they were 6 months old, one year we had a group trip that had about a dozen kids all under 10 years old there with the youngest being only a few months old. you can't let your kids out of your sight or what happened to that little kid at easter time could happen to your kid, sounds bad but it's true. make the effort to watch your kid the entire time (some parents will say it's not possible, but it is if you choose to IMHO) and you'll have a great time.
just because people only see a dingo or 2 in 2 weeks doen't mean they aren't there, every morning we saw new footprints through the campsite when we camp on the beach. last trip there we had them walking through camp during the day whilst we were there also, so you can't let the kids roam free. i know it doesn't sound relaxing having to watch your kids like a hawk whilst on holidays, and to be honest it's probably not, but i'm happy to do that if it means i get to camp right on the water front and enjoy a great place and can then leave with my child unharmed.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 09:53:18 AM by Rumpig »

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 10:54:10 AM »
Well said mate....but its one reason we are going to dill I village next week....so we can have a "real " fire.... ;D

As we have no kids, the dingoes won't worry us.....would need 40 of them to cart the missus away.  !!!!!!   ;D ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 01:39:48 PM »
Well said mate....but its one reason we are going to dill I village next week....so we can have a "real " fire.... ;D

what's their policy Re: firewood out of curiosity?
i know Nat. Parks stopped people bringing wood over years ago due to worry about introducing pests etc., just wondering how you go about burning timber at Dilli Village these days.
can you bring it with you or do you need to buy it there?
does it have to be milled timber offcuts and not sawn logs if you get my meaning?
cheers

Offline maca76

• Tent User
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 01:46:11 PM »
We stayed at Dilli at easter, not bad at all, we took over heaps off timber was not milled or the like. I have seen people take ute loads over. I have been to fraser 4 times this year for work and play and seen dingoes each time, keep a good eye on your kids at all times and your family will have a ball.

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 01:47:20 PM »
what's their policy Re: firewood out of curiosity?
i know Nat. Parks stopped people bringing wood over years ago due to worry about introducing pests etc., just wondering how you go about burning timber at Dilli Village these days.
can you bring it with you or do you need to buy it there?
does it have to be milled timber offcuts and not sawn logs if you get my meaning?
cheers

My understanding is you can bring any sort of wood ??
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011, 01:50:22 PM »
I guess this would relate to any fires
http://www.frasercoastholidays.info/things_to_see/parks/fraser-island.cfm

Campers who want a campfire in the communal fire rings provided, must bring their own firewood. However it must be untreated, milled timber (e.g. mill off-cuts), not bush timber, as this reduces the risk of introducing foreign pathogens and other pests into the park. Visitors are reminded that all flora in protected areas, including dead trees or fallen limbs, is protected by law and therefore cannot be cut or collected.

QPWS provides communal fire rings at:

Waddy Point beachfront campground
Waddy Point campground
Dundubara campground
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2011, 02:22:06 PM »
I guess this would relate to any fires

Dilli Village is privately owned, so doesn't come under National Park rules !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 03:10:29 PM »
I can recommend Dundabara campground for families. The only issue with the family/fenced campgrounds is that there's only a small provision of campsites for CTs - I think Dundabara allows 5 CTs only.

Here's a link to a (tent camping) trip we did last year - lots of pics and info.

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/trips-touring-treks-23/brief-trip-fraser-island-58751/
2007 Jimboomba Maddison Staircase
1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42