Author Topic: Jayco Expanda Outback??? How outback  (Read 11429 times)

Offline lakey

• Learning the Ropes
Jayco Expanda Outback??? How outback
« on: June 14, 2011, 08:54:10 AM »
Hi all

After many hours at the Brisbane show we are still undecided on the actual robustness of the outback expanda (Looking at the 14 44.4) We camp a lot at double island point, Fraser Moreton etc and aren't convinced the Jayco is tough enough. What limitations to actual owners of Expandas find? Can they handle a bit of hard work or does the cabinetwork and fit out start to show signs of wear. Any feedback would be appreciated. 

Offline rodw

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Jayco Expanda Outback??? How outback
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 09:39:44 AM »
Hi all

After many hours at the Brisbane show we are still undecided on the actual robustness of the outback expanda (Looking at the 14 44.4) We camp a lot at double island point, Fraser Moreton etc and aren't convinced the Jayco is tough enough. What limitations to actual owners of Expandas find? Can they handle a bit of hard work or does the cabinetwork and fit out start to show signs of wear. Any feedback would be appreciated. 

Not sure about the Expanda but we looked at vans at last year's show and purchased a Coromal offroad van. Bit more expensive. We got a lot of negative feedback about Jaycos while just sitting in the Coromal van we eventually purchased and it was amazing the good feedback we got on the Coromal from other owners.

The new Sandwich style Jayco construction does not let them fix cupboards properly and that is why in the Jayco vans, there are overhead fittings in places that get in the road (you hit your head on them, well I did) to get around this limitation. They are there so they can fix cupboards to something. One Coromal owner reckoned his mates Jayco fell apart on the same tracks this Coromal breezed through. Coromal place additional mounting blocks behind the wall skin to mount their cupboards into  and use 32" tyres. on their offroad vans.

However saying that, if your Jayco is only going to do a few sand runs, it'll probably be OK as you don't get those vibrations you get on corrugated dirt roads....

Have not been out in ours enough to know if it will hang together but ask us in a few months time....

Offline theflyingbadger

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 09:42:58 AM »
and people in a Nissan car yard will tell you that Toy-motors are crap.

and vice versa....
Jon

CRD TD42TI Patrol - Ultimate Xtrk TBD

Offline ehsc

• FIRE EARTH MOON STARS THATS LIVING
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • JUST DO IT
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 10:58:41 AM »
Hi Lakey
There is a thread on here from tw who dragged a jayco expanda from sa to nth qld on some pretty ordinary roads seemed to handle it ok .Thread would be in trips and tracks well worth a look.I have a jayco dove outback been on some pretty rough tracks it hasn't fallen apart yet.All the best its always a hard decission . :cheers: ehsc
2017 Isuxu D-max
2003 Jayco Freedom Outback

Offline DANBRI

• "Canvas Undies Never Die"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.campingaustralia.org
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 11:04:21 AM »
I know it's not an expanda, but I took an 09 Eagle Outback through some pretty hammered roads. A couple drawers dropped but with some longer screws and general beefing up here and there they handle it quite well.

All the drawer runners etc scalloped, where they created divots in the runners from the pounding but other than that the unit was still fully functional.

I'd take one up the Old Tele, like anything if you treat whatever you're towing with some respect it should survive!

Offline oldblade

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Porsche it's broken again
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 11:32:56 AM »
We had a 2008 jayco swan outback with independent suspension and it went up gutters great :)

I was to afraid of taking it anywhere for one reason lack of dust proofing it  had holes in it that you could see through

If you didn't mind the dust I am sure you could take it most places within reason

Offline 4wd26

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 11:40:53 AM »
Not specifically Jayco related BUT you can take a expanda type van a lot of places.

Prior preperation pays you back pretty quick
http://sites.google.com/site/australiagettingoutthere/journal-blog/day1-landinginlondon
^^^ where we took our Windsor (equivelent to a Jayco 16-49-3) so bigger than you are talking to Fraser Island
we have also taken it down the Darling river run.

You need to have a good look at how the vans are constructed and make your own decisions.

there are plenty of owners that have taken there expandas "offroad" but most have done a bit "tweeking"
'08 Mitsubishi Triton GLX/R Diesel Auto, with offroad accessories.
Windsor Rapid 472s Offroad
Not your usual camper trailer
Getting Out There<- BLOG

Offline JethroT

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 11:47:41 AM »
We looked at the Jayco's which are built similar to our Goldstream and we find it handles Double Island without any problems.

At 8ft wide and 18ft long it's difficult in tight spots amongst the trees.

A diff lock would be handy when you hit big dry holes in the dunes.

If I was travelling on dirt roads for any distance I would spend some time sealing out the dust.

Regards
Geoff    
Regards, Geoff and Michele

Offline gruesome

• Don't follow me I'm LOST
  • Tent User
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 09:02:43 PM »
Lakey mate I know just how you feel, spent  a fair bit of time looking at the same van in Brisbane and SWMBO wants to get one, i'm on the other side of the fence and want to keep the Complete Campsite, so we sort of have a stand off at the moment.  I just want some more info the same as you, as the next few trips are all West and then Nth up into the Gulf so I might just have to watch this thread and see what pops up,
cheers Andy :cheers:
2001 Prado OME coils and springs, bfg 265/75/16, UHF, Warn 9000lb winch
dual batteries, snorkel, draw  system, TJM bar, hella lights
Complete Campsite trailer

Offline oldblade

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Porsche it's broken again
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 09:38:24 PM »
Lakey mate I know just how you feel, spent  a fair bit of time looking at the same van in Brisbane and SWMBO wants to get one, i'm on the other side of the fence and want to keep the Complete Campsite, so we sort of have a stand off at the moment.  I just want some more info the same as you, as the next few trips are all West and then Nth up into the Gulf so I might just have to watch this thread and see what pops up,
cheers Andy :cheers:

We were in the same boat
when we started camping we were in a tent the Taj Mahal first trip to cania gorge and it was fantastic but the tent had to go way to big and a pain to put up

So we bought a Touring tent and we did Tassie for a month and loved it but wanted more comfort so we thought a camper trailer and the search started
but what we found was the Jayco's had so much for so little nearly half the price of what a top of the line camper trailer were (kimbery aussie swag)

So we bought a new jayco swan outback
and we had some great holidays BUT it ended bush camping as I just didn't trust it for dust sealing and the fit out (cupboard doors staying on). I am sure the chassis and main body would be fine but wasn't happy to take it down even dirt roads We can't stand dirt inside we never had dirt in our tent so we didn't think it was too much to ask. we also found ourselfs caravaners by that I mean when it gets dark get inside and and get comfy

So it got sold and we bought a Topaz a dust proof caravan that is as wide as the car and enough room inside to sit when it's raining but not enough room to get comfortable and become a caravaner and it can go bush.

What will I buy next  ??? ???

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 08:55:51 AM »
My mate brought a 2010 Outback Expanda new.  Don't know the exact model but it was 17-18ft long with tandem wheels.  He's pretty rough with his gear and by the time he arrived at his destinantion in the Flinders Rangers, found the the shower cubicle had torn away from the internal walls.  Had it fixed under warranty.  Second time he used it, part of the over head cupboards fell to pieces and was again fixed under warranty.

I have no brand affiliation with caravans, and am not trying to bag the Outback Expanda.  This occurred just recently so I thought it appropriate to post in your thread.  At the end of the day I guess everything has limitation.  Just for the record, the same mate towed a Jayco swan across the Simpson and apparently it made it through, unscathed.   

Offline Moto Moto

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 07:34:46 AM »
I just took delivery of an outback 14.44-4 expanda and I agree with oldblade if you plan on towing off road lots look elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong I love my expanda, the space, comfort, ease of use and affordability were our main criteria for the purchase. Not extreme off road ability. They are great for a bit of dirt road action here and there, not full on off road.

In saying that I have read many stories on different expanda forums about people towing on some pretty rough tracks with very few issues. If you are willing to spend some time preparing the van, then who am I to say it can't be done.

Good luck!
2012 BT-50 XTR and Jayco Expanda 14.44-4 Outback

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 08:39:40 AM »
IMHO, there ain't nothing tough about Frazer, or any beach for that matter for a camper, it's tougher on the tow vehicle than the camper, now corragated roads of the outback are tough on a camper, this is what kills Jayco style campers and it's the interior that suffers mostly.

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool