Author Topic: do you lend out your camper trailer?  (Read 21955 times)

Offline kranky al

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • theeee winaaaaaaar
Re: do you lend out your camper trailer?
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2011, 05:20:32 PM »
doesnt bother me - but they can take their own matteress
if nissan made a prop plane using the zd30 - would you fly in it?

if fishing were easy it would be called "your mum"

www.pixelpac.com.au

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2011, 05:28:15 PM »
we would only lend ours to our grown up sons and families, but we did have a friend say 'oh, and we will be able to borrow it, hey?', as soon as I had told her we bought one.  I was so dumbfounded I didn't reply, think she got the message.  Same friends couldn't believe it after we said no to looking after their dog while they were away for a few weeks, even though that same dog had attempted to attack Kev when we minded it for a weekend.  Some people take friendship a bit far.  In saying that, we are still good friends.
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline carinya

• Tent User
  • Nothing $30 million wouldn't fix
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2011, 05:52:20 PM »
Same as everyone else. No, but thanks for asking.
MK Triton Dual Cab.
Cheap gal trailer with some stuff added.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2011, 06:51:22 PM »
hand them a phone number to a place that hires trailers...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Put another banger on the barbie
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2011, 06:57:35 PM »
Same as most members here. "Definately Not"
Go hire one.  >:(

Offline rellbell

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2000 gu II + MDC XT12
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2011, 07:45:45 PM »
Need a sticker like those ute stickers: "yes it's my camper trailer: NO you can't borrow it"

Can I have one of those too

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2011, 08:55:45 PM »

I've gone without so much so that I can have this trailer ... so Pizz Orf ... No Freaking Way ... Bite Me ... except if it's my dad.  He fixes what he breaks and fixes what I've broken and fixes it even if it isn't broken and on occassion breaks things just so he can fix them (makes them better) ... but then again, he'd probably start doing mod's before me ... oh and he'd definitely fart in the bed ... but it would come back with a pillow top innerspring so maybe that's a good idea.  Might ring him now and see if he wants to borrow it.

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline Duchess

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • "Its not as hard as you think, you know."
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2011, 10:20:09 PM »
  Might ring him now and see if he wants to borrow it.

Kit_e

Do you think he might like to borrow mine as well??  ;D :cup:

"I've got one job on this ship. It's stupid but I'm going to do it!"

www.duchessandthedukeontour.blogspot.com.au

Offline randan

• Tent User
  • Jeep ......... No contest!
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2011, 10:23:11 AM »
It's not that I have that much of a concern regarding the trailer itself it all the other items that need to switched on switched off - in the correct order, and all that gear that HAS to go back in the SAME place. If went to use the camper next and couldn't find something-or-other because some moron put it back in the WRONG spot or worse still lost it.........well just ask the missus how I react to that situation!  >:D

Yes damage to the tent is a concern but for me it's all the little things that have taken us many many outings to gather and know how to use correctly would have me saying sorry NO ???

randan
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways ~
Beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ‘WOO HOO - What a Ride!

Offline randan

• Tent User
  • Jeep ......... No contest!
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2011, 10:29:35 AM »
Hey I just thought of a "test" for those that feel the need to ask. >:D Pull out your shower tent...you know the one that makes you and the missus shout at each other and say "just give it here you don't know what your doing"....then you both just throw it down unfolded and place it on top of the bed. :'(

Just pass them that and say if you can put that up and repack it in 5 mins then you will have shown me that you have the know how to be able to borrow my trailer!

randan
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways ~
Beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ‘WOO HOO - What a Ride!

Offline Beaker

• Tent User
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2011, 12:18:51 PM »
I feel a bit sorry for you guys - you must have dodgy mates!  :'(

I can only think of a couple of mates and family I wouldn't lend mine to. I've lent my truck to most of them at some point and its worth a hell of a lot more then a camper!

My BIL lent  me his TrakShak for over 8 months - its what sold me on the design. It went back to him with the wiring tidied up and repacked wheel bearings. I know mine would come back similarly looked after.

4WDing, Camping, Trailbiking, MTBing, Climbing, Paddling, Rallying.

That's what makes the 9-5 bearable....

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2011, 12:56:56 PM »
I feel a bit sorry for you guys - you must have dodgy mates!  :'(

I can only think of a couple of mates and family I wouldn't lend mine to. I've lent my truck to most of them at some point and its worth a hell of a lot more then a camper!

My BIL lent  me his TrakShak for over 8 months - its what sold me on the design. It went back to him with the wiring tidied up and repacked wheel bearings. I know mine would come back similarly looked after.
Its not the fact of dodgey mates, but its a good quick way to lose a good friendship.
If you look after your trailer like anal style, then you loan it out and it comes back with 3ft rip in the roof, or wall or something like that or repaired patched canvas, your $20,000 immaculate trailer is now worth thouands less and looks like crap.. I'm sure most mates arent going to replace the whole canvas for you/me/anyone at the prices some places charge... Maybe they would, but who wants to find out?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT'S CAMPING.
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2011, 12:59:35 PM »
Do people have mates without camper trailers??   8)

I have never been asked if mine can be borrowed, i guess it would depend on the mood I was in when they asked  ;D

Rich
IF YOU SEE US OUT AND ABOUT COME AND SAY G'DAY!

FOLLOW ME ON
https://www.instagram.com/offroad_touring/

Offline Beaker

• Tent User
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2011, 01:47:24 PM »
Its not the fact of dodgey mates, but its a good quick way to lose a good friendship.
If you look after your trailer like anal style, then you loan it out and it comes back with 3ft rip in the roof, or wall or something like that or repaired patched canvas, your $20,000 immaculate trailer is now worth thouands less and looks like crap.. I'm sure most mates arent going to replace the whole canvas for you/me/anyone at the prices some places charge... Maybe they would, but who wants to find out?

Maybe, but I know pretty much all of my mates and family would try very hard to return it in better condition then it left. If there was damage, I'd know for sure it was a genuine accident and not through lack of care, in which case, so be it - could have happened to anyone including me.

Besides I know for a fact that my mates would offer to fix - regardless of price. A buddy of mine borrowed my near new XR6T a few years ago and put a light scratch (barely visible unless you were 1/2 an inch from it) in the side skirt on a low rock he couldn't see at the end of a driveway - he offered to have it resprayed and the lend of his car while it was in the shop.

Its reciprical too, I have no hesitation in asking to borrow something and there has never been a hesitation in it being lent. But each to their own, I certainly don't judge people for valuing their possesions  :cheers:
4WDing, Camping, Trailbiking, MTBing, Climbing, Paddling, Rallying.

That's what makes the 9-5 bearable....

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2011, 04:05:17 PM »
Some people are very anal about things they own, others aren't. I reckon some are a bit too precious with their stuff, it is there to be used. If I'm not using it, it will just be sitting in the garage anyway. The joy others have from using my stuff far outweighs the possibility of a little bit of damage. My friends/family are the type that would return stuff the same/better than when they got it.
BUT, if it was brand new and I hadn't used it I would tell them to get stuffed!

I would lend mine out to my good mates and family no worries. I trust them to look after it and fix it if they broke it. My trailer is not as expensive as some on here, maybe that makes a difference.

Numerous times My Patrol has been borrowed for a week at a time(I have a work car) to tow a work trailer while their car was getting fixed. Each time it has come back with a full tank of petrol, regardless of how much was in there when they borrowed it, and they wash it!!!
A mate borrowed my trailer and broke the rear light. It came back with 2 new lights!

If you have untrustworthy mates/family, that is very unfortunate for you.
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline Johnny Trackabout

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • GIDDY UP...WHOO BACK
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2011, 05:23:41 PM »
Hey I just thought of a "test" for those that feel the need to ask. >:D Pull out your shower tent...you know the one that makes you and the missus shout at each other and say "just give it here you don't know what your doing"....then you both just throw it down unfolded and place it on top of the bed. :'(

Just pass them that and say if you can put that up and repack it in 5 mins then you will have shown me that you have the know how to be able to borrow my trailer!

randan
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :cup:

Offline TOPNDR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2011, 06:36:04 PM »
I've not been asked but wouldn't say yes, and wouldn't offer it.  It's my (opos, our) toy, and if we bend it we can only be upset at ourselves.  Nor would I ask to borrow some one else's camper, or car, or pretty well anything.
'09 VX TTD Cruiser:- 6 speed auto, 650 nm torque plus bling
'09 Australian Off Road Quantum

Offline camdyson

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2011, 08:48:39 PM »
I gladly offer to lend stuff to people I want to help out, but have little time for "askers". So that's a big "no" from me!

Geeze, some people are unbelievable - who the hell asks first go in your new CT??!! Do they have daughters? >:D >:D

Be strong.

Cam

Edit: You answered the daughter question already!! ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 08:20:17 PM by camdyson »
Set your chickens free

Offline FODFA

• Swag User
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2011, 11:17:28 PM »
Can't say as anyone has ever asked to borrow the camper.

I also have a hydraulic tip trailer that I built, if i go to a working bee or something similar, people who I don't know from a bar of soap ask if they can borrow it. I did lend it to a mate once, as it also has a treg hitch he borrowed my coupling as well (I have a 1 piece coupling not a bolt on one) he didn't fit the coupling correctly and he lost the trailer going round a bend, fortunately no major damage but a few hours work and a few dollars to get it all fixed.

Never again.

Cheers Andrew
Just what i didn't need, another forum and more mods!

Offline LeighC

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2011, 12:22:44 AM »
Interesting read !!

To put another slant on this, I've been on the receiving end of 'borrowing a camper'.  A few years back our family was planning a Kimberley to NT trip (6 weeks) and had investigated and were all ready to pay for a hire camper.  When telling a close friend who owned a CT about our planned trip they offered up theirs to borrow.  It wasn't something we even considered.  We offered to give them the money we were going to pay for the hire CT, after all I'd prefer to give my money to a mate than someone I didn't know -  they flatly refused.  In the end they insisted we take it and we compromised on half the rate of the hire unit.  I knew their CT was insured and confirmed if anything untoward happened then I would pay for any excess and any other out of pocket expenses.  I ensured it was handed back cleaner than when we got it and disclosed any issues we had (which was a loose tap fitting), I replaced a threaded gas fitting that was p!ssing me off.

We've now purchase the same camper as a result of that as it gave us very informed view on what we liked about the base unit and upgraded a few of the options to suit our needs.  Would I lend ours out ?? I think most of us have friends that we know will have the same respect for your own equipment, the only issue I'd face is the precedence it sets for other mates who don't show the same level of care ... but then it would be pretty easy to decline to people I'm not as comfortable with.

cheers,
Leigh
Prado 150 series
Pioneer Argyle SE

Offline Diesel Power

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2011, 07:58:10 AM »
Its a bit like asking " would you lend out your wife"???????
Work - dedicated or medicated?

1999 HZJ105 GXL Auto Fully kitted. SOLD.
2008 VDJ200 GXL Auto.
2007 Custom built soft floor. SOLD.
2015 Kimberley Karavan Classic. SOLD.
2012 Kimberley Kamper Limited Edition.

Offline RW

• Sleeping Bag User
  • ross
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2011, 09:11:10 AM »
No Way!!!!! I know what happens in these things at night,and no one else is doing that in my camper

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2011, 09:14:47 AM »
I have also been on the receiving end. My sister got a brand new Outback sturt at Christmas 2010 and we used it at the end of January. 2 weeks later we had our own Outback camper. A great way to try out the camper before we purchsed one. We have been sharing camping equipment for years and have not had any problems with that so it was not a hard thing.
I would have to say that I would not lend it to someone unless I was there to set up and pack up. But I guess I would want to use it then too.
Regards
Crisp Image

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Offline Lowndsey

• Tent User
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2011, 05:20:29 PM »
I have never been asked by anyone yet. I would lend it to my brother but definately no one else.

Offline Garry H

• Tent User
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2011, 12:23:12 AM »
the camper trailer....... mmmmmm, maybee depending on who asks and how well I know they look after their own gear,
if the roles were reversed would you ask them?
a couple of years ago my folks borrowed my tug for a 6 week tag along right thru the middle of WA after theirs met with unfortunate irrepairable damage whilst just staring on that trip,
it came back with and extra 10,000 k's on the clock but cleaner (a few more scratch's) and a few small quirky bits fixed
thats what familys are for..........
the gear is there to used and not abused,

sometimes it WILL be easier to say NO rather than sort the sh*t out after
hope this helps
cheers
Garry