Author Topic: It sounded like a good idea at the time...  (Read 2476 times)

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
It sounded like a good idea at the time...
« on: April 23, 2011, 10:51:07 AM »
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/man-critical-after-potato-gun-discharges/story-e6frf7jx-1226043645734

A man is in a critical condition after being shot in the head with a potato gun in a forest in central western NSW.

The 24-year-old man was camping with friends in Gurnang State Forest, south of Oberon, when a potato gun discharged, striking him in the head about 2am (AEST) today, police said.

The man was airlifted to Westmead hospital in a critical condition.

Police are investigating the incident.

The air-pressurised gun is designed to shoot potatoes and other projectiles.

I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: It sounded like a good idea at the time...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 11:11:19 AM »
Hi,
   I've seen one made from sewer pipe, powered with hairspray and ignited with a gas-lighter .

It could take the bark off a gum tree with an apple at about 4 metres.

Great fun, but lots of danger potential.

cheers

Offline Tim - Stratford

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Sarah's Canvas Products
    • Canvas Jaffle Iron Covers
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 11:30:32 AM »
Years ago the apprentices under the old man would make 'mortars' powered by compressed air - projectiles were steel drink cans filled with concrete or casting sand  :o - as they say, all fun until someone loses an eye....or worse.

Sarah's Canvas Products...
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=30053.0

Offline gibbo301

• Still doing it in my Aussie Swag
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 01:07:54 PM »
very dangerous things i saw one with the hair spray the potato went through a interall door

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 10:48:53 AM »
In a similar vein, I have a scar across my stomach from a university assignment that went wrong.

The task was a group engineering assignment, to build a catapult or similar launcher that could accurately place a projectile on a target disc in a variety of situations (over a high wall, under an overhanging branch, etc). We made ours out of a PVC launch tube with a pair of slits up each side and a bolt through as the launch device. The bolt was tensioned by a two pieces of surgical rubber attached to the top of the launch tube. We had calibrated the tube at various spots so that we could "dial up" a known amount of tension into the rubber straps to achieve known range, and and along with changes in tube angle the result was a simple, yet very predictable launcher that could land a spud softly on target every time. We were on track to get A+'s, and generally considered ourselves to be geniuses. Spying on the other teams revealed we were in the box seat for accuracy and power.

The final mark on the test (I kid you not - the lecturers were bigger kids than we were, if it were possible) was bonus points for the team who could achieve the greatest distance. Yup. So we were out testing the day prior. For those who've used surgical rubber before, you can put a MASSIVE amount of stretch into it, and get a massive amount of energy out of it. You know where this is going.

I was on the end of one of the straps, a mate (Anthony) was on the end of the other, and we were ratcheting up the power to see if we could get another 10m out of the launcher. Turns out, the strength of PVC tube, once you've cut two slits down the length of it, really isn't what it use to be. The tube fractured, and the launch bolt came loose. Ant copped a wack from the extended piece of rubber into his chest. I drew the short straw, and when the launch assembly broke, my rubber strap came away with the 10mm bolt still attached to the end of it, straight into my stomach. Ant was the first to realise what happened, when he worked out that if the steel wasn't on the end of his length of rubber, it must have been on mine. I was very lucky - could have easily been more along the lines of this poor bloke. Needless to say, with our launcher in pieces and half our team incapacitated, we failed the assignment.

As an aside, it's also a good example of why snatch straps and shackles are such dangerous things - same principle, just scaled up a bit with tons of force involved instead of "just" a couple of hundred kgs...

Anyway, that's my "Useless Story About Matt" for the day!

Thanks!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline ScottnRach

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 11:04:29 AM »
Many years ago a group of mates and I were partying out in an old dry river bed between Broken Hill and Menindee.  We had one of those lengths of bungee cord that people use for bungee running.  You tie one end off and the other end around your waste and try and run to reach a can of beer before the bungee cord pulls you back.

Anyway someone came up with the bright idea of tying the bungee cord to a tree limb and launching a volunteer up and down.  Another bright idea was to tie a piece of wood at the base to use as a seat.  Well three of us were pulling the "seat" down when someone slipped, the cord pulled tight and the stick "seat" flew up in the air, unfortunately the end of the stick went straight through one of the guys eyes and he was hanging from his eyelid about 8 feet in the air.

We were all a bit shocked and just stood there watching our mate dangle from his eyelid.  He was saying "fella's can you get me down this really hurts".  Bright idea number three was to pull him down by his legs, this caused him to use a number of profanities.

Fortunately we did get him down and stemmed the bleeding until we could get him to hospital.  All the time I was thinking that Mum was right when she used to say "its all fun and games until someone loses an eye".