Author Topic: Boating no longer allowed on Lake Eyre! WTF  (Read 3843 times)

Offline Garry H

• Tent User
Boating no longer allowed on Lake Eyre! WTF
« on: March 15, 2011, 03:48:41 PM »
Hi,
from the Yacht club site, news section.........

http://lakeeyreyc.com

"A spanner has been thrown into the works by National Parks refusal to give permission for us to sail on Lake Eyre until they have obtained the OK from the native title claimants. From all reports it appears National Parks are enjoying the opportunity to prevent us from recreating in their park and are in no hurry to resolve the issue. This process could take years and means that realistically speaking the only way to boat on Lake Eyre this year will be by committing an illegal act and given the anger in our membership this may happen. "

"It appears the South Australian Government are happy to remove our common law right to access and boat on a navigable waterway. We find this amazing given that there is no legal difference between our sailing territory and the River Murray. As Indigenous Australians lived alongside every waterway in the country will your favorite boating place be next? Unfortunately we cannot match the free legal services the complainants have at their disposal so all we can do is make the public aware of the erosion of the right to recreate in a National Park in an environmentally sustainable way.

The Lake Eyre Yacht Club, by encouraging tourism in South Australia's Far North, has contributed greatly to the State's Tourism Industry over the last 5 years. For a State that seems to often be in recession you would think they would be grateful for our effort. We would like to thank the South Australian Government for rewarding our efforts in such a meaningful way.

In addition the Station Manager of Stuart Creek, a BHP owned property, has cut access to Lake Eyre South in response to pressure from the native title claimants. This access track, has been used since the year dot, by locals and those in the know to access Lake Eyre South in an area of firm beach with water only 30m from the National Park boundary. It has never been formalised as a public access track because it is only a few kilometres off the Oodnadatta Track and had never caused problems. This track led to the most environmentally friendly access to Lake Eyre South with a firm beach and deep water within 10m of the National Park boundary at present.

Due to our current situation any plans that we may have for Easter are being kept private. There are many other Lakes and Rivers in the area that are navigable should you wish to boat in the area while you can."

looks like it will fill again...........

"7 March 2011"

"The current inflow into Lake Eyre means that the Lake will reach a level comparable or slightly higher than 2000 - the best flood since 1989. This summers monsoon is not yet over so we are expecting more water, particularly from the larger rivers in Queensland, assuming further cyclones. In the bottom left hand corner of our web site's lake status page is a link to a satellite image of the massive Neales flood. It is expected that the current flood of Belt Bay/Jackboot Bay Basin and Lake Eyre South will have peaked at 2m by Easter."

wonder where this all finish.....................

at least I've been there with the kids (and we have been climbed Ayers rock!! )
cheers
Garry

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Boating no longer allowed on Lake Eyre! WTF
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 05:41:51 PM »
Dan for PM, he will fix it!
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 06:17:40 PM »
Lets get the Lake Eyre Surf Life Saving Club to coment on this as it may be also an OH&S issue  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline kranky al

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • theeee winaaaaaaar
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 06:25:59 PM »
the middle section of the c.s.r is now closed for the same reason :(
if nissan made a prop plane using the zd30 - would you fly in it?

if fishing were easy it would be called "your mum"

www.pixelpac.com.au

time

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 07:50:14 PM »
As an ex Public Servant I declare Centrelink Offices my sacred site. 

Therefore, from this day forward unless you are part of my extended family you cannot enter!

If you dare to ignore my wishes you will reported to the United Nations!!

Offline kranky al

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • theeee winaaaaaaar
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 10:02:22 PM »
As an ex Public Servant I declare Centrelink Offices my sacred site.  

Therefore, from this day forward unless you are part of my extended family you cannot enter!

If you dare to ignore my wishes you will reported to the United Nations!!

sorry mate - i think another section of our community beat you to that one a long time ago

THEY ARE FILTHY DISGUSTING DEADBEATS  and i for one have had enough of the smell and the ridiculous sense of entitlement they seem to have - they think because their mob have been around for so many more years than ours that they should never work for anything.  i dont want to make this a black and white thing - actually - bugger it - yes i do

you can hear them singing their pathetic tribal song every time you go in there........ it makes you sick

GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD FOREEEEEEVERR............
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 10:09:48 PM by kranky al »

www.pixelpac.com.au

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 10:45:08 PM »
the middle section of the c.s.r is now closed for the same reason :(

What do you mean.. What reason, floods or Native title.

PS. It's no better up here either
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline HerGU

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 10:48:27 PM »
What a joke....it should be able to be enjoyed by all.

Offline kranky al

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • theeee winaaaaaaar
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 12:08:29 AM »
native title

www.pixelpac.com.au

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 08:53:36 AM »
native title
I must admit that I' am a bit perplexed about all this 'Native Title" babble.
When I actually looked into the history of Australia I found there are actually no true Australia natives left.
The "aboriginals" that live here now (and call themselves natives) are decendents of the ones that came over from other countries ( I cannot remember which ones) and actually killed off all the "natives" that were here before them.
Much like what has happened in every other country in the world throughout history.
So as far as I can see there are actually NO "true" natives living anywhere in Australia.
Just a different bunch of conquerors...
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline cardinal28

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 10:02:44 AM »
Do yourself a favour and have a read of a book called "Cape York - A Savage Frontier" by Rodney Lidell. The first chapter is veeeery interesting. Our indigenous friends tried to stop the book being published. It explains how the 'aboriginals' got here and who the first inhabitants were. He backs it up with factual information form the archives.
Growing old is inevitable - growing up is optional.

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 10:04:05 AM »
I met the bloke who wrote that up there in 97.
Living the Dream.