Author Topic: Advantages of CT over caravan.  (Read 4076 times)

Offline Blinky Bill

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2013 Pajero auto diesel & 2000 Kimberley Kamper
Advantages of CT over caravan.
« on: March 11, 2011, 07:50:49 AM »

I've been enjoying the camper trailer life for over 14 years now. I went from a small tent to a bigger tent to experiencing a camper van and eventually discovered this beaut package known as a camper trailer. I originally kicked off with a rather nice new soft floor on road model and as time went by I wanted an off-road and so purchased a 3rd hand 2000 model Kimberley Kamper.

So that's what got me to this point, and I wonder if one day when age catches-up if I'll become a caravan guy. I read a fair bit about why caravan owners move from camper trailers and it's almost always to do with 'wet canvas'. Now I know that caravans have heaps of advantages over CT's, stop - open door - sit down out of the weather - is the obvious one for me.

But I wonder if there aren't advantages for the CT over the caravan and would like your thoughts.

A couple that I can think of are:
* Easier to tow - Personally I like looking in the rear view mirror and seeing over the top of my CT.
* Cheaper to tow - I'd reckon it costs way less to tow than an 'apartment on wheels'.
* Easy to stow - Unlike most caravans my CT will easily stow in a garage, shed or car port without needing to worry about damaging the roof.

And on that note I'll throw it open for comments. If you want you can toss in points for the CT, for the caravan or perhaps a bit of both. Maybe you went away with a group that had both CT's and caravans and can share your observations.

Cheers - Wayne

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields (1880 - 1946)

Offline TOPNDR

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Advantages of CT over caravan.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 08:12:22 AM »
Mrs T's evolution, as with mine has been, trailer with camping gear stowed therein, Pre loved Kimberley Kamper, Australian Offroad Campers Quantum super camper.

I loved the Kimberley but Mrs T found the canvas, particularly the awning a hassle.  Must've hurt her eyes because for the most part, I put the awning up & took it down. Her duties were to hold two poles steady while I put the guy ropes up.   :D

So we moved to the Quantum, which has a pop-top, pull out Dometic awning, and el whizzo stainless pull out kitchen.  It's great and I could travel in it long term without any problems.  Mrs T loves it too but she has suggested to me that if we're going to do the grey nomad thing long term, she'll be wanting more living space.  She really liked a Kedron we looked at at St Helens in Tassie last month.

Fortunately I foresaw this shift in wants and purchased a 200 Series V8 diesel Cruiser so that when instructed to buy a big caravan, I had the tow vehicle.

The Quantum is as cheap, fuel wise to tow behind the cruiser, as the Kimberley was behind a 3 litre manual Patrol.  

I agree, looking over the camper in the mirror is better than just looking at the front of the camper a few feet behind the tug.

Our Quantum fits comfortably in the carport but a Kedron won't  :'(
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 08:14:20 AM by TOPNDR »
'09 VX TTD Cruiser:- 6 speed auto, 650 nm torque plus bling
'09 Australian Off Road Quantum

Offline stockhorse

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 08:16:59 AM »
Perhaps the solution is a hard side,but collapsable caravan/camper. See them on ebay every now and then.Stop wind handle,lifts up ,alldone. No wet canvas, no folding kitchen, everyting is easy.
Might be worth a look.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 09:18:45 AM »
I think the hard lid, expanding end style is a good compromise. That will probably be our next camper.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Captain

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • My Cruiser & AORC Quantum
    • My online pics
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 01:20:22 PM »
I don't think the perfect camper has ever been made, they are always a compromise - just need to make the Tardis! Also, most people's needs keep changing and I know that has always been one reason behind our camper changes.

When we had very young kids, the poptop caravan (Windsor Rapid) was perfect. But it comes with the caravan issues of "inside living" so as the kids got older, we purchased a camper trailer (Camprite) and proceded to spend all bar our sleeping time outside. This was great for many years but as we older and softer, a few more comforts were desired. So we now have the Quantum, a "crossover" between a van (poptop, hard walled but shower/toilet) and a camper trailer (outside cooking, tru off-road etc...).

Having had both ends of the spectrum we knew what we wanted. Outside cooking is not everyones ideal, but it was a must for us - as was a rollout awning. And being a true offroader was also a must, so the shower/toilet sealed the deal so to speak. Anyway, it suits us and I suppose I have my foot in both the camper and van camps now ;D

Thes "crossovers" mostly straddle the issues between camper trailer and van that you mention and are the fastest growing area of the camper / van market from what I can see, probably in an attempt to coover many of the issues you mention..

Cheers

Captain
My GXL TTD 200 Landcruiser and AORC Quantum loaded with Kayaks and bikes (my Camprite now sold )

Offline Garry H

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 01:26:31 PM »
Hi,
it really depends on the sorts of trips you do,
a caravan wont go where we go, and sometimes I don't even take the camper and we just tent it from the back of the dual cab,
mind you we have kids that dig in and help,  and I still have to work to fund the trips
maybee in retiremant and sticking to the black top and better tracks may see a caravan one day but not for a long time.........

Cheers
Garry

Offline Blinky Bill

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 04:59:19 PM »
My God what's going on here with so many Quantums? Is there a nest around here somewhere's?  ???

Seriously chaps, I'm bloody envious of those them there Quantums. They look the go to me and I would not say no to one......... that's for sure.  :D

Just out of curiosity, what do you like best about your Quantum?

And of course...any troubles with them?

Cheerio - Wayne
Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.

Offline rossbarb

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 06:53:15 PM »
Hi Everyone,
Like everyone else our needs and wants have changed. We have had all types, pop top caravans, jayco campers, kimberley kamper and now we have a Topaz by track trailer similar to a quantum and I love it. I suffer badly from insect bites i react savagely so being able to get in out them is a blessing, ease of set up. no wet canvas, go most places, no dust, my hubby loves how it is built he is fussy, the bed stays made up, reasonable bench spac, Ross loves the storage outside i think that was the selling point for him.
Hope this adds to the conversation, Happy camping
barb

Offline Captain

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • My Cruiser & AORC Quantum
    • My online pics
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 07:22:19 PM »
...Just out of curiosity, what do you like best about your Quantum?....
And of course...any troubles with them?
Cheerio - Wayne
What do I like... just about everything  8)  Apart from the obvious, what has shown to be great is roadside stops. Simply stop at a scenic spot, roll out the awning and pull out the kitchen and you have a great meal while outside admiring the scenery. And then SWMBO has a nice clean loo at any time. Its OK for us guys to go anywhere, but it certainly has made traveling more pleasant for my wife. And I gotta admit that having a hot shower certainly doesn't hurt - you have the choice of inside or outside shower depending on where you are camped.

Have I mentioned that outside kitchen  ;D its amazing how everyone congregates around while I cook and wash-up (I have a deal with my wife, we go camping, I cook, clean, pack.... ). And if the weather does turn bad, I can either put up the full annexe around the kitchen or use a portable stove inside (haven't needed that yet).

Another great thing is overnght stops, just pull up and the beds are done (just like a van). But you have the much smaller size and off-road ability much more like a camper trailer.

After reading the above, it really boils down to having the smaller towing size and "outside living" advantages of a camper trailer while retaing the inside comforts of a van.

And as for issues, nothing of any note. Just had a flick mixer tap leak, but a quick call to AORC and they sent TWO, a spare one in case the outside one started to leak too. Cannot complain with service like that.

Cheers

Captain
My GXL TTD 200 Landcruiser and AORC Quantum loaded with Kayaks and bikes (my Camprite now sold )

Offline Blinky Bill

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 04:02:15 PM »
Well I've simply got to get around to checking out the Topaz and the Quantum.

All I really need now is a sponsor & I'm away.  ;D

Cheerio - Wayne

Offline ddr

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 10:14:10 AM »
One advantage I guess of the camper trailer over a van is that when its persisting down on the 3rd day of camping you get a cold shower while you setup  :'(

Offline rod_bram

• Swag User
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 12:01:59 PM »
I guess we have the best of both worlds. For 40 years we camped with tents, tarps, kids and loved it. 3 1/2 years ago we bought our camping trailer (soft floor with kitchen attached to tailgate) no kids and love that for ease of setup and outdoor living (a bit of a pain in the wet but bearable). In February we did our first trip to Tathra and Lakes Entrance for three weeks in our new caravan (Paramount Duet) which we now share with our Daughter/Son in law and grandkids so it should get plenty of use.
We have kept the Tents, Camper trailer and now the Caravan and as we are retired, we plan our trips with the capability to go anywhere we like and take the most appropriate accommodation for the trip.
We are going to the Simpson in June with our 4x4 club and will tent it, just came back from Rubicon where we used the van and are going to the Bogong High Plains next moth where we will use the Camper Trailer so I don't think you need to choose or compromise and each unit is designed for different trips.
We don't have a lot of money and the maintenance on the C/T is minor (registration $35 per annum, tyres a couple every 2/3 years and replace the battery every 3/4 years and have replaced two springs since we have owned it, about $50 bucks each.). Yep, it is easy to store and lives in our garage while the caravan takes up a car place in the carport and the tents take up a shelf in the shed.
Obviously our needs have changed and our level of comfort increased with each upgrade but we find that we still eat outside and prepare food outside (bought a Baby Q for cooking) and our campstove as well so we have not lost the spirit of camping. We have a full annex on the Van but also found a shade cloth accessory wall that slides on in a couple of minutes and protects from wind and rain and we now use that in preference to the Annex so we are still sociable and not locked away in the "box" like so many we see in caravans.

I reckon whatever you buy you enjoy and the main thing is to get out there and enjoy it while you can.

Cheers Rod
Rod and Lorna