Author Topic: Camper Tent help!!!  (Read 3978 times)

Offline katieh

• Learning the Ropes
Camper Tent help!!!
« on: March 10, 2011, 07:01:18 PM »
Hi, so we have a full off road trailor which we are thinking about getting the tent to put on top or selling this and buying the whole lot. Our budget for the tent alone would be up to the $3000 mark and for the whole lot about $7000.
We have 2 children so need a bit of room as we have a 4 room tent at the moment which is great but definatly dont need all that space.
We do some pretty extreme 4wding so if buying the trailor as well we will need a good quality one and definatly dont want a crap made tent. We are looking at the bluetongue, cig, pinnacle and any others around this price. Does anyone have any experience with these ones? or heard anything we should no about? Can anyone give me some sugestions on good camper tents in this price range?

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Camper Tent help!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 07:17:49 PM »
Where are you?

We use "Oz trail" tops from Kulkyne Kampers for our hire units and have no trouble with them and absolutely fantastic service from them.
We're sydney based so we get our trailers from "holiday" trailers.
Again, reliable sturdy units. Only let down is the painting, but that gets rock and dirt blasted in the first few weeks so it doesn't really matter. I also don't like the retreads supplied, so put new tyres on.....

Hopefully helpful.
Brian
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline holycrapola

• Learning the Ropes
  • Owner of a camper trailer - a tent on a trailer
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 08:14:38 PM »
We have a bluetongue and I wouldnt recommend it. I cant discuss here as we have a number of issues.

I have looked in detail at the GIC today and I must say much more impressed with it than what we have...

As for the oztrail tents they are quite small..

If you are in Melbourne, the Caravan and camping show is on at Caufield this weekend.
New 2010 BT CT - semi off road towed by an Aurion

Leaking tent...arghhh
Not enough to dampen the camping spirit

Offline mystq

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 08:16:40 PM »
You are more then welcome to discuss the issues you have had with your bluetongue camper tent.
Eat Sleep Camp Repeat

Offline holycrapola

• Learning the Ropes
  • Owner of a camper trailer - a tent on a trailer
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 08:21:10 PM »
You are more then welcome to discuss the issues you have had with your bluetongue camper tent.

Yes I know, but until we have sought a resolution, knowing both the supplier and BT read here, I am not prepared to post too much :)
New 2010 BT CT - semi off road towed by an Aurion

Leaking tent...arghhh
Not enough to dampen the camping spirit

Offline trekkn

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 09:42:46 PM »
we have been looking at a large range of ct's for a while now and we decided on the pinnacle full off road powdercoated trailer it appers to be value for money and a good entry level ct . We like the construction of the trailer and the size of the tent ,In 2 weeks we should have the ct in our drive way then  i will have a good look over it and see what i will strenghten /modify before we get it dirty
I have made several calls to greg at pinnacles asking him questions and discusing other options he was very helpfull and appered to be honest when i asked him a few tehnical questions about the construction of the trailer
I hope this helps you
cheers
Trekkn

Offline Vince

• Tent User
    • Central Coast 4WD Club
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 09:56:58 PM »
As in our pic below... this is a Holiday trailer and OzTrail Camper 9 tent on top. Very easy to set up and good quality canvas.

kulkyene campers are running a great special on the Camper 12 tent tops at the moment (see link below) they are roomy and a good size for two adults and a couple of kids.

http://www.kampers.com.au/common.php?c=1&t=4

Offline WaituiRob

• "Oldies still doing it.....Camping that is!
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 01:58:24 PM »
Hi Katieh,

Austrack Campers make a tent which is in your price range, 12ft. is $2399 which includes canvas
    annexe walls, a set of midge mesh walls and roof protector. Yes they are ripstop and made in China under
   licence, but Austrack have been in business for a number of years and have a lot of satisfied customers.
     Quite a few are My Swaggers, who seem to be very satisfied with their tents.

We`ve had ours for 16 months, been in heavy rain and strong winds, no problems whatsoever.
        I don`t know how it will last compared to Aussie canvas, but unfortunately we can`t all afford to buy
      Australian made products. Austrack tents come in green as well as camo. (It`s a love / hate thing with the
     camo. some people think they are revolting, but them`s the breaks!)

Cheers,  Robyn.

Offline gqcamper

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 05:36:47 PM »
we have just picked up our new camper which just happens to have an austrack top and it looks good.it's a 12ft model and has plenty of room for the three of us and usually a friend of my daughters.
i will post some pics in the MY CAMPER SECTION if your interested.
first time setting up was about 35 mins with awning, i reckon next time we will knock that down to about 15 to 20mins.
not sure where you are located but we bought the whole package from a mob in penrith (western sydney) called southerncross trailers,so far the experience has been good,nice people to deal with and camper finished pretty well on time.

Offline Jon

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Bringing rain to every campsite
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 08:59:35 PM »
Hi Katieh,

Austrack Campers make a tent which is in your price range, 12ft. is $2399 which includes canvas
    annexe walls, a set of midge mesh walls and roof protector. Yes they are ripstop and made in China under
   licence, but Austrack have been in business for a number of years and have a lot of satisfied customers.
     Quite a few are My Swaggers, who seem to be very satisfied with their tents.

Except for the mattress. Cut it up for the kids and buy yourself an innerspring ;D
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Offline katieh

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 06:54:28 PM »
All your replys have been so much help. Thanks heaps and if anyone out there has any more help please let me no. Thanks again. x