Author Topic: Which computer programme for photo's  (Read 2964 times)

Offline kochy

• Tent User
  • Toyota Hilux Dualcab Turbo
Which computer programme for photo's
« on: March 08, 2011, 08:05:38 PM »
I have somehow lost my programme for uploading photo's etc. Which is the easiest programme to use for this.
Thanks Kochy
If you are not riding on the edge you are taking up to much room

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
Re: Which computer programme for photo's
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 08:22:35 PM »

I don't use any program to upload photo's Kochy ... to the net that is.

Do you mean from camera to puter?

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline OffRoadDave

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • If I think I can build it I will!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 08:24:42 PM »
You weren't using Photobucket's bulk uploader or something like that by chance?

Offline kochy

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 08:54:51 PM »
Kit-e yes that's what I want to do, I don't know what the programme was but I must have done something wrong.
Kochy

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 09:04:16 PM »
I use Fast-Stone Image Viewer - its free and its fantastic - even does a quick RAW to JPEG conversion if needed ...

Cheers

Steve

http://www.faststone.org/
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline exploder

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 09:22:13 PM »
I use infraview (free download) to shrink the size of the pic(uploads faster). Real easy to use too. Then a photobucket account..

http://www.irfanview.com

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 11:35:35 PM »
To download from camera to computer:
If you are using windows, the you should be able to find the card (whether it be CF or SD or whatever) within your camera and upload to the puter without the "camera" software.  Of course, the camera will need to be plugged into the computer and turned on.

Start
Run
Type... E:  (the : is simply upper case ;   )
Enter

You will have to tamper with E: a bit ... it could be F: G: H: etc (mine is F: at home but I use the camera software and E: at work using the below method because it's not company policy to add stuff yourself) but ABCD should all be taken by the puter itself.  D: being the disc drive A: being the floppy C: being your hard-drive beats me what B: is but I've never been able to use it.

Anyway, when you find the correct drive letter: then you can slowly open files till you find your photo's.  Then it's a matter of either cut /copy / paste to your desired location or copy / paste to your desired location.

Alternately ...
Open a windows page (like Control Panel eg) and get the left hand side menu happening.  You should see your C: and desktop listed.  Open C: or any other drive letter: until you find either the name of your camera or a drive letter: and open each file untill you find your photo's.

Sometimes cameras use multiple files to store each day's photo's OR one folder for them all.

Alternatively ...
If you are using Windows7, use the Windows Live Photo Gallery to "import" your photo's from your camera.  You will find this under Start / All  Programs / Windows or sometimes it will be in a subfolder called Windows Live.

Alternatively ...

Buy a card reader from your favourite electronics store and use that.  Make sure it will handle the cards your camera takes or you'll be driving back to change it over.  These are relatively cheap and are useful, but it's something else to cart around when you really don't need to ... whatever floats your boat.

To upload to the net:
Each webpage should have it's own upload software, simply use that.

Otherwise ...

Go to the website of your camera manufacturer and download the computer software from them direct.  Give them a call if you have issues finding it (or an email) as they are usually glad to be of assistance.  You can also get "firmware" updates for you camera too.  Again, give them an email or a call to assist you.

If have a Canon 7D and our computer upload software is called Zoom Brower ... a dumb name, but it's an easy way to do things if you have it available.  I believe the software brings all the camera settings across with it ... otherwise it really is a waste of time and computer hard drive space (well to me anyhow).

I can do screen shots if you like ... just ask ... Good Luck
Kit_e
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 12:02:40 AM by Kit_e_kat9 »
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 03:12:01 AM »
Lost it?
My guess would be it's just the shortcut is gone. Unless of course you've just had a re-install or some other work done to it recently?
How computer savvy are you? Have a look under "Program Files" & see if you recognise the program
Bob and Robyn

Offline kochy

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 06:35:03 AM »
Thanks everyone all this info will fix it for me.
 I seem to have had trouble during the cyclones we just had while using a genny for power.
 The camera is a Fuji S5800 and connects direct to the computer.

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 07:43:03 AM »
I use the MySwag gallery to host my photos now, it automaticly resizes the photos, about the easiest I've used so far.

I thought infraview was free with windows??

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 08:41:55 AM »
I thought infraview was free with windows??

Hi
   free to down load and  use with windows.

A very capable graphics program with lots of batch processing features

cheers

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 11:01:55 AM »
Hi Kochy,

Some good options already here. Personally, I use the Picasa software from Google. It's free to download and use, and works really well. I use it to download the photos from the camera to the computer, and then to upload selected photos to the (free) Picasa web albums so I can share them online. It's all seamless, which is what I like about it - the one program does the lot, and a couple of clicks is all it takes to get photos from camera to computer to internet. It can automatically resize the photos during the upload process as well, if you want it to.

I've been using it for a few years now, and it's never missed a beat for me. I've been so impressed with it that a couple of years ago I actually upgraded to their paid online storage to get more web space, but they've since increased the amount of space you get for free, so I haven't needed to pay since then.

I'd recommend checking it out at least : http://picasa.google.com/ - it's a free download and only takes half an hour to set it all up and set up the online albums and logins. For me, the ease of having a single, integrated process is what keeps me coming back to this solution.

For image editing, I use the free (and excellent) Paint.NET application - http://www.getpaint.net/ - very powerful, and does everything I need. It's no Photoshop, but it's much easier to learn, and will do 99% of what most people need without the extra complexity or cost. Again, highly recommended.

Good luck!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.