Author Topic: Damage to Long Plain Hut  (Read 4290 times)

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
Damage to Long Plain Hut
« on: March 08, 2011, 06:42:41 AM »
Long Plain Hut in Kosciuszko NP was damaged by dickheads over the weekend, words fail me >:D >:D

EDIT; Link didn't work

The news release from the NSW NPWS reads:

NPWS and Police look for historic hut vandals

The NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) staff at Tumut have expressed outrage over a weekend in which more than $10,000 damage was done to two historic huts in the northern end of Kosciuszko National Park.

The popular Long Plain Hut, also known as Campbells Hut, was attacked by vandals sometime over the weekend, as was Matthews Hut some 20km to the south on the Snowy Mountains Highway at Kiandra.

NPWS Ranger, Megan Bowden, today described the damage as significant.

“Generally the huts are safe from vandals but this weekend they have really done some terrible damage at Long Plain, ripping an entire wall off the weatherboard building, smashing windows as well as leaving smashed bottles and damaged parks signs.

“A nearby stream bank has also been trashed. At Matthews Hut two windows have been broken.

“The NPWS and volunteers, as well as families with strong connections to these huts, put a lot of effort and care into maintaining them. To have this happen to these huts is quite upsetting for everyone.

“We believe the damage was inflicted Saturday evening.

“We are hoping to question four men about 20-25 years of age who were seen camping at Long Plain with a crew cab ute with aluminium sides, carrying a large gas BBQ on the back plus a blue-green motorbike and a ride-on lawnmower.

“Other park visitors are alleged to have been harassed by the group which were also alleged to have been driving recklessly around the camping area.

“”Trees were cut down plus creek banks and lawns were damaged by vehicles, while a fire was left burning along with bottles and cans left lying around,” Ms Bowden said.

Long Plain Homestead also known as Campbells, Oddy’s, or Ibbotsons was built in 1916 by Bobby Joyce for Dr Campbell on Long Plain Road near Rules Point on the Snowy Mountains Highway.

The hut was used by graziers in the summer months and trappers in the winter months as well as being used as a dance hall. Mining operations were also undertaken nearby.

Ms Bowden said that NPWS officers had just re-roofed the hut last year and volunteers from the Land Rover Club have been caretaking the hut for many years.

“Repairing this damage is going to take time/money as the weatherboards have to be specially milled as they have a tapered profile. These huts are two of seventy we have in KNP but each is unique and are significant examples of vernacular bush architecture.

A black and blue cap was left at the scene. Police and NPWS are continuing investigations.

Media contact – Stuart Cohen
02 62297126 or 0429 771601
stuart.cohen@environment.nsw.gov.au

Link for photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nswnationalparks/sets/72157626213037726/

The Land Rover Club of the ACT is already considering repair to this mindless damage.

Baz.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 06:54:21 AM by Redback »
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
Re: Damage to Long Plain Hut
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 06:49:04 AM »
Sort of fits into my post in the cattle thread unfortunately.  Its a shame
Living the Dream.

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 07:05:21 AM »
What worries me is these people might breed. ???

Offline craigtempo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • welcome to the party that never ends
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 10:22:09 AM »
^*&*$*&%(*^)(&)(*&(*(*%(*)()((*%$%^#%@

this is the reason man invented condoms................................................

hope they catch the bastards ....... and i reckon they will

craig

Offline GU_Thomo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 12:47:22 PM »
I have never understood what makes some people behave like this.
I am not a violent person but people like that make me wish I was there with a baseball bat.

You would hope that someone who was harrased by them got the rego number.

Cheers
Parry

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 01:37:10 PM »
You can only hope someone got a rego number!!

Reminds me of camping at Collins Flat one Xmas after the fires ripped through the Dargo area, some dope left his campfire burning and drove off, the minute we go reception we rand the DSE giving them his details >:D

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline RichardW

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Out and About from North Rocks, Sydney
    • Profile and Images
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 04:37:01 PM »
A damn shame.
Just makes it that much harder for the rest of us.
Richard
2005 Landcruiser TD100 & Wallaby Hard Top Camper Trailer
Profile and Images

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 04:45:10 PM »
1st up against the wall come the revolution , Bastards  >:D
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline outback jack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 04:50:12 PM »
1st up against the wall come the revolution , Bastards  >:D

i'll pull the trigger

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 05:35:21 PM »
Jack If your up for this you will have to go to Mildura as that's the end of the cue, at the moment  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 05:59:52 PM »
sensless f#%*wits should have something they actualy care about destroyed in front of there eyes for all to see >:( >:( >:(
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline grizzly

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 06:34:40 PM »
This is the type of thing that spoils a great job, If you are confronted by these Bogans when you are camping do not risk your safety some of these idiots are willing to hurt people and not blink an eye especially when they are tanked, if you can take details ( time, date, place, description or photos of people involved, motor vehicle description rego ) and pass this onto police/ National Parks ( Call Police as early as possible ) , they cant help if they do not know. You would be amazed how quickly these idiots leave an area alone when they know people will not put up with their bad behaviour. These idiots make me  >:(
GRIZZLY

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 12:36:04 AM »
It was a long weekend here and there are a few reports of the bogans getting leave passes from the city for the weekend.  Apparently Baden Powell campground was a nightmare with alcohol and violence that led to a Police presence the next day. 

It amazes me how as a society we put up with this crap and no politicians are willing to stand up and be counted on getting these oxygen theives off our streets.  Are all politicians that stupid they think hardline policy will loose them votes, surely it would be the opposite?  Locking fools like this up somewhere in the desert has got to be cheaper than the cost their type places on society having them roam free, and if it isn't, I think I could even be convinced that paying an extra cent in the dollar tax was worth it if it meant my family was safer./  After all I am sure there are a heap of assylum seekers who would willingly put up their hand to take a job building prisons in the desert or work out there as a prison guard if no Australian citizens want to if it meant they could obtain citizenship in the longer term.
2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 06:17:20 AM »
Some people should be sterilised at birth
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 08:11:51 AM »
Hi,
  exceedingly disappointing that this happens.
I hope the magistrate shares my anger.
cheers