Author Topic: Attempting to make up my mind on a new tug  (Read 6772 times)

pacs

Attempting to make up my mind on a new tug
« on: March 04, 2011, 04:50:21 PM »
Hi all been looking around attempting to make my mind up on a new tug and I brought this months edition of 4wd action as the large text ( 10 Best Used Tourers ) caught my eye and it has given me a little more information/tips to ponder regarding these cars listed and opened eyes to the patrol which I had not considered due to my past two 4x4's being Toyota's

Just thought it would be good to hear from some owners of these tugs as to their experiences with the older model 4x4's with high K's and what they have left out in the articles that I need to take into consideration.

Also what sort of k's should you get out of a diesel motor as a lot of the cars in my price range will have 250km and more..

Offline Silvo

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The grass is greener where you water it..
Re: Attempting to make up my mind on a new tug
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 04:56:18 PM »
is the patrol still doing a 3ltr? i wouldnt touch that with someone else's money..

what are you considering?
Dan - 2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE and Lifestyle Camper AT10 EVO

Offline DANBRI

• "Canvas Undies Never Die"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.campingaustralia.org
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 05:01:36 PM »
Research the particular model you are after, they're all different with their reliability.

A car will basically run forever, it's wheather you are willing to keep it going. Anything with high km has risk associated with it. A clutch, head, bottom end etc. all cost reasonable money to replace.

If you can narrow the vehicles down there will be plenty of advice on model issues etc.

Offline KevRM

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 05:12:48 PM »
With that sort of k's be careful, especially fuel pumps (very dear), i would definitely buy off of a dealer because you normally get
at least 3 months warranty or more if you can. Also have a good mechanic inspect it for you.

Best of luck
KEV & RUTH

pacs

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 05:57:21 PM »
well thats the issue I'm not set on a model as yet.. my last 4x4 was a hilux 3D and it was a great car but the take off and pickup was what $***ed me off the most.. and then kids came along and the 4x4 had to go for a few years :(

I would like another hilux as I have a dog and its easyer to keep the hair out of the cab but $ they seem to be abit to highly priced with high k's of 260-270,000 at local dealers they still want 20-24,000 on road
I like the look of the Patrol and the 80 series but just not sure which would be the better option I saw a GU ST today a 2.8 TD but it had over 400 on the clock and asking price was still just over 12000

I'm only wanting to spend 12-15000 on the car so I can still do some mods after the purchase as alot will require a lift kit and bull bar to start with..

Online GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 05:59:38 PM »
I am happy with the Patrol and I paid a premium to get the 4.2 donk, it may be a little slow but I hope it is as reliable as all say, so far so good. Of late it has cost me some money on maintenance with a new starter motor, rear man seal and replacement clutch for around the $3000 mark. Of course there are all the associated haves and needs to make it a more comfortable and formidable weapon when out in the bush, I wont add up what I have spent. The 3L has its problem but if you take some preventative measures and cross your fingers you mat be OK, just don't listen to Broady at the moment as he has found out its downfalls  :'(

I think as others have said do your research ask some questions and find the best vehicle you can, if you can find a blank canvas at least it should not of been as bashed around as something with a 5 inch lift, lockers and bar work all round. Enjoy the hunt and ask away if you need a hand

GG

pacs

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 06:27:11 PM »
I'm seeing a lot of the 1999 GU ST 2.8 Turbo diesel model in the price range Im wanting to spend if anyone that has one can quote on these?
km seem to range from 180-270,000 other then the one I saw today with over 400,000 and still a 12,999 price tag  ???

Offline Rowanb

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 06:46:47 PM »
Hi there pacs I have a  2.8 GU and I think its a great 4b. Mine has 315000 on the clock with no major dramas (touch wood), except for the head which cracked (ok thats probably a major drama) at 270 I think. Apart from that it has not missed a beat and I give it a hard time (but I do look after it) I service it every 5000ish my self.
Ok it is slow of the mark but once you get over the fact that, for a diesel, they need to be revved and a few times the tacho on mine has seen 4500.
I hate to say it but patrol forum has heaps of info on them.
Best thing about them is they come with there own cloaking device (they smoke more than Sydney single mum) once again though you learn to live with that. I would only sell mine for a gold plated Hummer plus cash of course.
Good luck in your quest.

Row and Shaz.
Hubby and Wife team

Offline jtraf

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 10:40:40 PM »
I would be looking at a 1994+ GQ Patrol........there are still quite a few out there that have not had a hard life..

Coming in around the $6-$10k mark they make an excellent tug and at 250-300Kays they are just run in....

OK I personally have a 94 TD42T auto GQ LWB and love it to bits and for where it has taken me and where I am prepared to take it the GQ will be in my garage for some time to come......

HTH
James - 1994 Patrol GQ TD42T Auto dragging around our 2007 Trackabout Safari Camper

Offline Paul and Bern

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Living for Holidays
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 11:04:35 PM »
 :D Hi Pacs.  I've got a 98, 2.8GU.  Been an alright vehicle once a couple of initial dramas were sorted after being bashed out of Mr Nissan.  We've done about 176K, just done pump and injectors... which may or may not have needed doing as I think the MAF sensor was the main culprit.  They are ok but remember it's a 2.8L - 6 cyl and not a 6L - V8, when the turbo runs out of puff it's about all over.
400K seems a lot of miles.. I reckon if you look you'd find one with a lot lower k's like around what mine's got, I think that would be around average of what I'd expect (the 180's).
Our agreed value for insurance was about $17k with our extras and that was about the max.
I've blocked the egr and added catch can, and the 3" inch exhaust has got it pulling just below 1500. 
Check when the timing belt was done, and if the upgraded plate and gear has been fitted ( think it's dowled).  They also have a problem with the harmonic balancer coming loose (or the bolt that holds it)...
If you want to do a lot of low speed lugging a 4.2 would be better..... and there are still some good GQ's out there or you could fluke an early GU DX model.  DX doesn't have the back little seats, and is more vynal then plush carpet, and originally had the skinny wheels.
Maybe you could fluke one of those rwv conversions, where they chop the boot off and add a tray.
Can't remember exact price for egr block etc but prob around $400
injector tips - $700-$800 (fitted)
3" exhaust $800 - I fitted it
Timing belt etc $750 ( by Mechanic)
Paul
Can every day be made a public holiday?

pacs

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 08:03:12 AM »
thanks guys I will go and have a test drive of the one in town today and if I like it I will then start the hunt down melbourne way
I guess it depends on the work it has done and if the k's where hot country k's or start stop k's as my vy ute has 422 on the clock and it still goes great only thing to go in the past 12 months was the water pump and also had to redo the valley gasket and rocket cover gaskets as I've only ever done basic service work on my the one diesel I have owned its good to get as much info from the owners of these cars as I can

thanks for all the info all and keep it coming !  ;D

Offline Rowanb

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 10:03:19 AM »
I agree with Paul they are no V8 so if your in a hurry leave early but once the turbo spools up they hunt along ok. If you end up getting one 4th gear will be your best friend once loaded towing the camper even on the hway a hill pulls the guts outa them, saying that I love mine and there is nothig that really annoys me about it except the drivers seat padding as mine has sagged, proably due to my short arse dragging over it to get out.  ;D
Good fuel economy though.
Row and Shaz.
Hubby and Wife team

Offline CRW

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Driving the Dreamliner
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 12:24:57 PM »
I believe Broady might have a cheap vehicle for sale  ;D ;D ;D
Cheers
Carl

200 Series Land Cruiser TTD V8,  Complete Campsite Hard Floor Fraser

Offline Paul and Bern

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Living for Holidays
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 06:47:52 PM »
 :D Good luck, as you probably gather you tend to find a soft spot for the 2.8.  If you look at GunnaDo's recent trip through the high country you can see they will hold their own.  I tow in 5th fully loaded, the 3" helps a lot there.  If you get in one and it has a powerband like an old 2-stroke it is possible the flywheel upgrade wasn't done on it, which basically was my biggest bug bear when we bought ours. They are a comfortable old bus really but IMHO have a better feel in the handling dept then the 100 series they were pitched against at the time, not that many will still have the original coils.
Have a look at "patrol4x4.com" and wander through the posts there is a bit on the GU and their problems.
 :cheers: Paul
Can every day be made a public holiday?

pacs

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 07:51:50 AM »
lol thanks CRW will it take my trusty old vy motor  ;D

Thanks Paul and Burn will take a look at Gunna Do's trip and the patrol site :)

I didn't get to test drive yesterday as the dealer was not open darn small country dealers and the only others around town are the new models with large price tags out of my range so thought it better to wait out the weekend and arrange it during business hours Moday

Offline kalex

• Tent User
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2011, 01:29:19 PM »
What about a 90 series Prado? What is you budget?

pacs

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2011, 01:01:17 PM »
What about a 90 series Prado? What is you budget?

yeah my partner does like the prado but I'm just not sold on them they seem to lack space and with the twins and all the shizy missy packs even just for a weekend I will need the extra space also they are mainly around the 20,000 up range and I really only want to spend 12-15,000 leaving room for some extra's

Offline jasonw

• Swag User
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2011, 02:20:44 PM »
check all the forums like patrol4x4, lcool, aulro etc they have a mass of car specific reading. have you considered a disco?????
jimboomba excalaber camper

pacs

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 07:13:54 PM »
check all the forums like patrol4x4, lcool, aulro etc they have a mass of car specific reading. have you considered a disco?????

thx jasonw a few the other lads pointed me in the direction of patrol4x4 which I have now joined as I have a soft spot for the patrols and missy is with me one this which is vital  ;D and no I have not looked at the disco but I'm open to options so will check them out  :cheers:

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 04:40:16 AM »
For the range your looking what about a Pajero , For the $ range you can get into an Exceed with low KMs  . Have a look  ( google )at Australian Car Buyers Group they buy ex lease rigs , worth a try in the big smoke   . When I was looking to upgrade my NL they had top range rigs at great $  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Fivid

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 12:24:38 PM »
Just reading alsewhere here, in case you have not seen it, http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=11837.0

PS, Did you get those photos I sent?

:cheers:
Dave
http://www.trailtrack4x4.com/

Offline kiwipete

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 07:21:29 PM »
Hi all been looking around attempting to make my mind up on a new tug and I brought this months edition of 4wd action as the large text ( 10 Best Used Tourers ) caught my eye and it has given me a little more information/tips to ponder regarding these cars listed and opened eyes to the patrol which I had not considered due to my past two 4x4's being Toyota's

Just thought it would be good to hear from some owners of these tugs as to their experiences with the older model 4x4's with high K's and what they have left out in the articles that I need to take into consideration.

Also what sort of k's should you get out of a diesel motor as a lot of the cars in my price range will have 250km and more..

I'll just save you alot of time and money...  get a 80Series Landcruiser any model will be perfect
KiwiPete
1991 HDJ80
Explorer Campers & Canvas - Lawson Off Road
http://www.explorercampers.com.au/
Canberra

pacs

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2011, 07:42:55 PM »
For the range your looking what about a Pajero , For the $ range you can get into an Exceed with low KMs  . Have a look  ( google )at Australian Car Buyers Group they buy ex lease rigs , worth a try in the big smoke   . When I was looking to upgrade my NL they had top range rigs at great $  :cheers:
cheers speewa I'll take a look most company novated lease cars at least have good service histories that one plus

pacs

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2011, 07:48:34 PM »
Just reading alsewhere here, in case you have not seen it, http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=11837.0

PS, Did you get those photos I sent?

:cheers:
Dave

cheers Fivid I saw that one been looking at a few around town there is one thats come from the local ARB all done up right to go at a local dealer but I have not had the chance to call in to check it out and the asking price..

I have not seen any emails with photos but I cant remember which email I asked you to send them to was it my work one or the graytech.com.au one?

pacs

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 07:59:59 PM »
I'll just save you alot of time and money...  get a 80Series Landcruiser any model will be perfect

lol well I was just looking at this one the other day think it had 270,000k's from memory

http://www.countrycars.com.au/centralvictoria/bendigo/car-dealer/used-car/1994/toyota/landcruiser/1008225?back=50&srch=Search Cars&pcode=C&makesel=TOYOTA&maxprice=0&modelsel=LANDCRUISER&minprice=0&order=T&body=ANY&seller=A&keyword=Keyword&neworused=U&location=A