Author Topic: Entertainment  (Read 3885 times)

UIZ733

Entertainment
« on: March 03, 2011, 11:12:15 AM »
I need to arrange entertainment for the Coromal. By entertainment I mean music (include MP3 player and CD's etc) and radio (AM and FM). Obvious solution is to fit a "Car Radio" and associated speakers. There are some good value units with appropriate inputs and speakers available in may outlets.
Before comitting to the Car Radio option, does anybody use a viable alternative with good quality sound? I am thinking of something like this; http://worldwide.bose.com/axa/en_au/web/shop_online/page.html preferably without the price tag. The unit would have to be DC/Battery powered to enable use without mains power. The camper has a deep cycle battery with solar etc. Any comments and advice appreciated.
Regards Pat

Offline Humbolt

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Entertainment
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 02:35:13 PM »
I was looking at the Bose portable sound dock myself. VERY nice bit of gear. One of the few good things Bose do :)
The price is a bit excessive but have you listened to one? Puts a big smile on your face i can tell you!!!
They cost about $475 to resellers and the best i could get one for was $500.
They last a while on batteries but it is proportional to the volume, big time!!
Unfortunately they run on 9vdc so no plugging directly into a ciggie socket or similar but i am sure you could find something to regulate the voltage.
Maybe either run/charge from an inverter or buy a second battery (which bose sell).
I can def recommend one if you have the cash!!

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 05:40:08 PM »
I was also looking at the BOSE dock but also didn't like the price tag, I then did a bit of investigation, looked at a few reviews and decided on the Logitech Pure-Fi Anywhere 2. The Logitech matches the Bose for sound quality at half the price it also has a rechargeable battery and can be set up anywhere, it will go louder than what most people require at their campsite but even when at full volume the sound remains clear and undistorted.

I was a BOSE fan after having some of their speakers connected to my Techniques entertainment system  :cup: but this thing is pretty impressive.

Check them out on this link  :cheers:

http://www.logitech.com/en-au/speakers-audio/ipod-mp3-speakers/devices/4320
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline AKB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 06:12:24 PM »
We went the portable iPod dock option, we thought about the car stereo but then you are limited to only having music around and in your camper ( if you spend the day down at the river no music for you) and Im also glad because quite often we are outside at night listening to tunes and the child is inside watching a movie on the iPad before going to bed.  We don't have to listen to transformers for the 109th time and he can hear his movie uninterrupted

Offline tonyw

• Tent User
    • Tonys Travel Blogs
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 06:22:26 PM »
I play my guitars, i even have a battery powered Roland Street Cube amp/PA if i wanted to go electric
or via head phones f i dont want to upset the critters.  :cup:

I do like the look and sound of the Logitech Pure-Fi Anywhere 2 and i think this is the way i will be going for my portable music solution.

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 06:43:50 PM »
If its entertainment your after I would highly suggest the antics in the "electric blanket" thread.
Highly entertaining, and from what I'm led to believe, quite healthy too.  >:D ;D

Seriously though, I went with a rechargeable dock from JB hifi.
Does around 15-20 hours before needing a recharge.
Quite small but loud and clear enough for our purposes.
I paid $120 for it. Of course a week later they were on special for $90........ :-[

We were going to install a stereo in our hawk, but decided it would be a pain while the kids were watching DVD's and someone would always lose out.
By having a portable dock we can put our music on a table away from their noise........
JKB obviously knows what its like............. :D

Love the kids dearly, but theres only so many times you can listen to their stuff.

Cheers
Brian
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline Heiny

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 06:49:07 PM »
If its entertainment your after I would highly suggest the antics in the "electric blanket" thread.
Highly entertaining, and from what I'm led to believe, quite healthy too.  >:D ;D

;D ;D :cup: :cup: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline graylyn

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Kendall River Barramundi
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 07:21:59 PM »
I have got an Ipod and a cheap Phillips docking that goes 12/240.  works a treat for me.  And when you think about it, how many hours are you going to be playing it and listening to it.  Is it worth 500 bucks.  I think mine was about 50 dollars for the dock.
The worst day fishing is always better than the best day at work.

2021 Isuzu d-max utility 3 litre
2012 Jayco Swan Outback
full 60 litre Engel

Offline Humbolt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 07:59:51 PM »
I actually forgot to mention what we use.
OrbitM
Very cheap, good sound though not the loudest. Plug in the Iphone and away you go.
Takes 3 AAA batteries and has lasted 3 trips and still going strong.

Offline Ynot

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Tony. Prado 150 GXL, Coromal 632RTP
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 08:43:36 PM »
I have just bought (not fitted) a GME 9520 AM/FM CD and DVD player.

Fits in dash like a radio but gives the option of playing DVD's through the TV. also comes with a remote control and has MP3 input as well as USB and SD slots.

I will mount it in the Camper with two Marine speakers.

It comes with a IP65 front casing that can be removed.

Link below to Witworths but you will get a better deal if you shop around.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=114&item=69871&intAbsolutePage=&LinkedItem=69867&search123=
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?  (Homer J Simpson).

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 10:35:16 PM »
Well I am also a Bose fan having first got one 12 years ago while I ;lived in the middles east. Got the docking station using points...Happy about that and I still think they sound the best of the lot
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

UIZ733

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 12:20:15 PM »
Thanks to all who have replied so promptly and without stirring any controversy :laugh:.
I have bought one of these;
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LOGITECH-PURE-FI-ANYWHERE-2-IPOD-IPHONE-SPEAKERS-/120691245483?pt=AU_Computers_Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item1c19c241ab
I will report on performance when delivered if required.
P

Offline Heiny

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 08:52:21 PM »
Thanks to all who have replied so promptly and without stirring any controversy :laugh:.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LOGITECH-PURE-FI-ANYWHERE-2-IPOD-IPHONE-SPEAKERS-/120691245483?pt=AU_Computers_Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item1c19c241ab
P

Good choice and at a great price too, well done :cup: :cup: :laugh:

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 09:44:50 PM »
P

What...You did what - bought what - controversy, I'll give you controversy. How could you buy that .............OK, great piece of kit..Hope you and your Logi get infest by a swam of logi eating ants  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

UIZ733

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 02:58:40 PM »
Happy to announce that the Logitech Pure Fi 2 has arrived and is an outstanding piece of equipment for the price I paid ...........$80 delivered. I must confess that I am very hard to please when it comes to sound systems!
Regards and thanks to all contributors. P