Author Topic: Tambo Omeo or XTRAIL Navigator, decisions decisions...  (Read 7135 times)

Offline ldsparrow

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • www.1yearoff.com.au
Tambo Omeo or XTRAIL Navigator, decisions decisions...
« on: February 26, 2011, 05:48:20 PM »
I think we have narrowed it down to 2 camper trailers, the Tambo Omeo and the XTRAIL Navigator. We ventured back out there again this morning and had a good look over both hoping to come out with a decision on which way we would go, but no we still cannot decide...

We really like the Tambo as its a great trailer, lots of storage space, the tent is huge and Aussie made canvas, big windows on the tent, it has a walk up area to get into bed which is going to be great while living in it for a year as we wont have to climb over each other. There is also lots of good feedback on the Tambo campers on this forum.

The XTRAIL once again is well built, the kitchen layout is great, the Annex comes with all of the walls and the electrics system is much more comprehensive, plus there is also lots of storage. The thing I am struggling with though is the imported tent when so many comments on this forum say go with the Aussie made canvas. Now the real killer is that with the current discount on offer with XTRAIL makes it around 3k cheaper when we add the options onto both camper trailers that we are after. That is an Engel 80L fridge / freezer and lots more goodies...

One question I have from seasoned campers, how often do people put up all of their walls on their annex?

HELP...all feedback is more than welcome.
Blog: www.1yearoff.com.au

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
Re: Tambo Omeo or XTRAIL Navigator, decisions decisions...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 06:04:17 PM »
I am a little biased and would go for the Tambo. I have found mine to be a strong unit which has followed me anywhere that I have dragged it without any problems. The canvas has never leaked and it has been through a lot of rain of late. The service you will get from Keith and Amanda is also top notch.

My annex is set up everytime we set up, the kitchen wall also goes up to protect the kitchen and is not that hard to do, we also have a wall for the other end and I would guess we put it up 50% of the time. We do not have the front wall but I am looking at getting a small return to protect the end of the kitchen when the weather turns really nasty.

I cannot comment on the Xtrail but I am sure someone will come along soon. Good luck on the decision.

The Omeo will most probably be my next camper not too far down the track.

GG

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 06:33:41 PM »
One question I have from seasoned campers, how often do people put up all of their walls on their annex?

I never used the walls on my Tambo, actually maybe the kitchen wall once or twice.

I'd buy the Tambo, well known and hold their value if you every sell it (bit like Toyota). First person to see mine bought it for almost what it cost me. Not saying the Xtrail is bad but I prefer the Tambo.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 06:36:48 PM by D4D »
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline staghornflat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 08:19:18 PM »
I use the kitchen wall all the time and only use other end wall when weather is bad. if its really wet or cold I put the front wall as well. You wont get any better canvas work and canvas than tambo IMO.
2017 200 Cruiser
2010 KK limited edition

Offline tambodaryl

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 08:29:53 PM »
Once again a little biased as I own a Tambo Cooper however I would also go for the Tambo. 
Also don't know a lot about the Xtrail, however I think you will get a better resale value with the Tambo. 
Excellent canvas never leaked,  I'd stick to Aussie made canvas. 
Walls on annexe only go up due to extemes of weather, kitchen first then opposite end and then front. 
Used the front wall in -3 degrees with electric heater in powered site and no one was cold.

Offline Moto Mech

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 07:46:13 AM »
Again, Id go for the Tambo but again, Ive never seen/had anything to do with an Xtrail.
We've dragged our Tambo all over our great country and its begging for more.When we purchased ours, we purchased it new sight  un-seen, just went on word of mouth and glad we did. :cup:
ARB, the only gear for my Landcruiser 105
Red Earth Camper Trailer

Offline camdyson

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 09:03:34 AM »
Hi Idsparrow,

Had a look at the XTrail at Wandin the other day - very good value rig but yeah, the grade of canvas was a bit light IMHO. Otherwise, very nice rig.

We generally set up the wall behind our kitchen, and only the other side if longer stops. Have never bothered with the outside wall, would only imagine using it in prolonged cold/wet/windy weather. Too hot/stuffy otherwise.

Good luck with your choice.

Cam
Set your chickens free

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 09:13:54 AM »
Don't waste too much time thinking about it. They're both good, will have their respective strengths and weaknesses. If they both offer what you want in terms of camping, look at other aspects of the deal like price or added extras they're willing to give you maybe.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 09:17:15 AM »
I have an Xtrail and very happy with the canvas, I was like you when searching and have had the unit for 6 months on several trips, mostly in the rain and its been great.  The canvas manufacturing is all about the quality control imposed during making and there are good and bad from China and Australia, as I said I couldnt be happier and the trailer is tops, I have the Ranger as I wanted a rear fold unit.

Wil
Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

Offline XTCT

• Swag User
    • XTRAIL Camper Trailer
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 10:27:27 PM »
Hi ldsparrow

If you insist to use OZ canvas, we can faciliate that very soon. If our price is roughly the same as your target Tambo but mounted with OZ made tent, who will you go for then  ;D

Sam
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 10:30:04 PM by XTCT »
XTRAIL Campers
19/257 Colchester Rd, Kilsyth South, VIC 3137
Tel: (03) 9761 7373 Fax: (03) 9761 7323

Follow Us:
Blogger: http://XTRAILcampers.blogspot.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/XTRAILcampers
Twitter: http://twitter.com/XTRAILcampers

Offline mystq

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 10:46:11 PM »
Go the Tambo, tough as anything, I dragged it through the Balfour track (Tasmania) brand new and it didn't miss a bit.
(Google or youtube the Balfour track)
Eat Sleep Camp Repeat

Offline WogsRus

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 06:37:02 AM »
I have to say Tambo probably is a more recognise name i do however have an Xtrail and the quality of the camper is spot on. The trailer is built dam tough and attention to detail is pot on.

I am more then happy with the imported tent top but i know Sam can facilitate an Oz top if needed.

I would be more then happy to recommend Xtrail, have a look over my thread here to see their in house construction

http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=8021.0
HAD 2007 NS GLX Pajero, 3.8L grunt, ex Cop,

NOW 50th Anniversary Simpson Edition Poootrol wit some fruit

"Speed doesn't kill. It's the sudden stop at the end"
"Live everyday as if it was your last, and some day it will"

Offline Trish59au

• Swag User
  • He got the 24 year old I got the 4WD...fair swap!!
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 02:42:03 PM »
We are also looking for a new camper trailer and if they were my final options I would choose the Tambo Omeo.
Not only are they great campers you get very good after sales service  :D

100 series Landcruiser.
Tenting it for a while...looking for a camper that I can manage by myself.

Offline ldsparrow

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • www.1yearoff.com.au
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 06:12:10 PM »
99% sure we are going to go with the Tambo, going to head down there in a couple of weeks time and place the order...
Blog: www.1yearoff.com.au

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 06:17:11 PM »
99% sure we are going to go with the Tambo, going to head down there in a couple of weeks time and place the order...
Did you see they have a speacial for the month of March orders, wouldnt want to miss out on it if possible

GG

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 06:18:31 PM »
We are also looking for a new camper trailer and if they were my final options I would choose the Tambo Omeo.
Not only are they great campers you get very good after sales service  :D

Good to see there are many good dealers out there, Sam at Xtrail was great when I bought mine and with the followup service.  Sad to see some other threads where other owners are having trouble with their purchases from other companies.

Wil
Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

Offline WogsRus

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 06:51:33 PM »
I Second that, I know how buissy sam is but he sure tiers his best and my experiences with him and after sale services are fantastic.

I think the Xtrail is more bang for your buck but each to their own
HAD 2007 NS GLX Pajero, 3.8L grunt, ex Cop,

NOW 50th Anniversary Simpson Edition Poootrol wit some fruit

"Speed doesn't kill. It's the sudden stop at the end"
"Live everyday as if it was your last, and some day it will"

Offline XTCT

• Swag User
    • XTRAIL Camper Trailer
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 09:19:24 PM »

Hi ldsparrow,

It is a pity to learn that you "have" made your decision to go other brand. It is understandable that XTRAIL is a growing camper trailer manufacturer in this industry and still green to the market without huge user base for word of mouth. We do strive to improve our products constinously. Our R&D work is a non-stop process.  In future, if you have chance to come across XTRAL camper trailer package (2010 models onward) when camping, please give us a chance by inspecting it. You should be able to see more of XTRAIL camper trailer along the way. And, you will see more remarkable models from us gradually.

For our after sales services, the most remarkable case can be mySwag member "metric". Ask him to what degree we support our product which will let you understand more about our after sales service.

Just for your personal reference, hereunder is a reference post to show "impossible" after sales service we did for "metric":
http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=8021.new

story of "Bombora" having his new XTRAIL camper done 12,000km in first trip and the route and tracks he had been to:
http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=7650

cheers and good luck to your hunting.

cheers

Sam
XTRAIL Campers
19/257 Colchester Rd, Kilsyth South, VIC 3137
Tel: (03) 9761 7373 Fax: (03) 9761 7323

Follow Us:
Blogger: http://XTRAILcampers.blogspot.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/XTRAILcampers
Twitter: http://twitter.com/XTRAILcampers