Author Topic: Now bullbars under threat - survey  (Read 28516 times)

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
Re: Now bullbars under threat - survey
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2011, 12:06:36 PM »
oops!  Thanks Dazzler for reminding me to renew my prescription of 'ThinkRight' pills, its a long time since 1984 and I have finally run out! ;D
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline Slipus

• Tent User
  • Slip
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2011, 04:00:35 PM »
Survey done

What moron proposed banning Bullbars.  This would cost lives.  What about heavy vehicles, a roo/beast would do significant damage and could possibly force the vehicle into on coming traffic. 
What about repair costs and delays ?

regards

Slip

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2011, 10:36:01 AM »
Survey done

What moron proposed banning Bullbars.  This would cost lives.  What about heavy vehicles, a roo/beast would do significant damage and could possibly force the vehicle into on coming traffic. 
What about repair costs and delays ?

regards

Slip
Yet to actually see any evidence that this has been proposed.  Happy to be shown some if it exists. 

Remember: "Without evidence it is just a beat up!"   ;D
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2011, 11:05:04 AM »
Yet to actually see any evidence that this has been proposed.  Happy to be shown some if it exists. 

Or an eleborate conspiracy theory put out there by paraniod anti authoritarian.....or worse,.... a sly Scruby-arian. ;D ;D
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2011, 04:06:39 PM »
Or an eleborate conspiracy theory put out there by paraniod anti authoritarian.....or worse,.... a sly Scruby-arian. ;D ;D

Snow, someone has already run the 'its the pedestrians' line a few days ago! 

Still waiting for the pics!

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2011, 07:39:07 PM »
Snow, someone has already run the 'its the pedestrians' line a few days ago! 

Still waiting for the pics!
Yeah mate, it was me. Always good for a bit more milage. ;D ;D
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline turbojoe

• Tent User
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2011, 07:52:40 PM »
just did it !

crackacoldie

« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2011, 09:23:33 PM »
done
 :cheers: Cracka

Offline ozynorts

• Swag User
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2011, 10:33:51 AM »

just found this link on the fed gov infrastructure website.
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/motor/design/adr_comment.aspx
go to the pdf titled regulation impact statement
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 10:41:07 AM by ozynorts »
Ezytrail behind Colorado 7 LTZ

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2011, 11:08:37 AM »
Thanks Oz,

Will have a look at it.  Always good to know what is actually being proposed.  Might even be able to make a submission - which would likely carry a lot more weight than signing an e-petition.  Similarly, something to write to MPs about.

Offline Dunk66

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2011, 09:30:58 PM »
next they try to stop trucks from having bull bars this l reckon has all come about since yuppies started buying 4x4'sjavascript:void(0);

crackacoldie

« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2011, 09:57:30 PM »
I have just read the documentation from the goovernment and it does seem to recognise the need for VFPS (bull bars) on 4wd vehicles and the ban of steel bars seems to only apply to 2wd vehicles (to be replaced with polymer bars). So all may not quite be as bad as it seems.  Having said this, I still stand by the old addage that :

A BULLBAR IN THE BUSH IS WORTH TWO PEDESTRIANS IN THE CITY

:cheers: Cracka

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2011, 10:16:12 PM »
No Aus manufacturer / retailer will agree to comply with this:
"... 5. Frontal protection systems, as separate technical units, shall
not be distributed, offered for sale or sold unless accompanied by
a list of vehicle types for which the frontal protection system is
type-approved, as well as by clear assembly instructions."

Just imagine all the 'experts' that would be needed to translate the 'chinglish' "destructions" that come with the stuff from Superche@p / Flea-bay!  ;D

Offline TroyE

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • you can't buy experience
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2011, 09:37:38 PM »
done

Thank You!
Thank you for taking our survey. Your response is very important to us. For further information on this matter please visit: http://www.aaaa.com.au/4wd
you can't polish a turd, BUT you can roll it in glitter...

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2011, 09:55:09 AM »
I have seen/heard somewhere that the whole thing is sponsored by SmartBar.......

Makes you thinking.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline Alloy C/T

• Tent User
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2011, 02:22:42 PM »
Ok , could someone please explain  where they get their statistics from , 25 to 30 thousand animal strikes per year they claim in the article,  is this Australia wide or just 1 state ? Ive had upto 6 hits in just the 1 trip from home to the supermarket in Longreach ,126klm 1 way.

Offline Silvo

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The grass is greener where you water it..
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2011, 05:25:40 PM »

Ok , could someone please explain  where they get their statistics from , 25 to 30 thousand animal strikes per year they claim in the article,  is this Australia wide or just 1 state ? Ive had upto 6 hits in just the 1 trip from home to the supermarket in Longreach ,126klm 1 way.

what they are saying is that is an estimated figure..

hell i estimate 400,000,000,000 beers are had each year, let's run a survey to find out.

even if you don't have a bullbar or care, taking the time to complete the survey to help hit that $20,000 limit is great.

dan
Dan - 2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE and Lifestyle Camper AT10 EVO

Offline ntpryce

• Tent User
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2011, 06:45:05 PM »

I think this is meant to come from insurance claim statistics.  Check this report out:  Australian Automotive Aftermarket Association industry position paper

Quote from this report: "In 2007 NRMA Insurance recorded over recorded over 9000 animal-related collisions in NSW alone, with the total cost to the NSW Community estimated at $70 million"
Proud owner of a new Challenge 'Meridian' off-road Camper Trailer.

:cup: May 2010 POTM Winner :cup:

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2011, 07:23:34 PM »
Received this from ARB today

ARB, in conjunction with the Australian 4WD Industry Council has launched a national on-line public survey to collect information from the public about their use of bull bars and nudge bars.
The safety of Australian motorists that drive vehicles fitted with bull bars and nudge bars is threatened by proposed new Federal Government regulations, which are based on rules developed for the European environment and road conditions by the United Nations Economic Cooperation for Europe (UNECE).
The 4WD Industry Council wants up-to-date information about bull and nudge bars - also known as "vehicle front protection systems" (VFPS) - for its consultations with the Department of Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Development in Canberra about the proposed regulation. This regulation focuses on pedestrian safety - not vehicle and occupant safety.
The Department has now released a Regulation Impact Statement for Pedestrian Safety Standards for public consultation, which closes on 15 April 2011. This document includes extensive discussion on "VFPS" and contains options for the regulation of bull bars.
By completing the 4WD Industry Council's survey, participants will help meet the need for current accurate data on the use of bull and nudge bars. The Council hopes to learn more about vehicle types, driving patterns and critical safety issues, such as animal strikes and other impacts.
Adoption of this overseas rule would make it impossible in Australia to fit bull and nudge bars, which are designed to protect drivers and passengers in front end animal strikes and other impacts. It may also ban winches and driving lights.
The Federal Department has released the proposed regulation for a three month consultation period. We want to collect road users' views and report them as part of the industry response.
The survey takes only moments to complete and is totally confidential. We will add this new data to a report recently commissioned by the Council to study animal strikes on Australian roads.
These Council initiatives respond to the lack of uniform data about the estimated 25,000 to 30,000 vehicle-to-animal strikes occurring each year across Australia. We do not believe that good regulatory decisions can be made without proper research and without canvassing all key issues.
ARB encourages road users to complete the on-line survey as soon as possible. The Survey closes on 31 March 2011. For every person completing the questionnaire, the Council will donate $1 to the Royal Flying Doctor Service, to a maximum of $20,000.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline GS

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The hand the turns the doorknob, opens the door...
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2011, 08:05:24 PM »

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2011, 11:17:40 AM »
Why is it some 4wd drivers think it’s ok to drive around with their bullbar mounted rod holders fitted when they're obviously not going fishing? Given there is enough focus on bullbars, do you need to draw attention to yourself even more?
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline balfang

• Swag User
  • "My sister & I - can't really see any resemblance"
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2011, 12:20:19 PM »
Survey done !

The pollies need to realise that bullbars don't kill people. Drivers kill people  >:(

The road toll isn't going to decrease just by banning bullbars.

Cheers Keith  :cheers:

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2011, 12:37:59 PM »
Why is it some 4wd drivers think it’s ok to drive around with their bullbar mounted rod holders fitted when they're obviously not going fishing? Given there is enough focus on bullbars, do you need to draw attention to yourself even more?
x2 

Its called arrogance, the 'no one can stop me doing whatever I damn well want' syndrome.  Beside, its the fault of the kid / their parents if they run onto the road and are impaled on my rod holder ... so don't blame me.

Offline theflyingbadger

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2011, 02:01:02 PM »
Those "burger makers" (rod holders) should be banned. Who in their right mind would want their expensive fishing gear on the bull bar getting flies and Christ knows what stuck on it?
Jon

CRD TD42TI Patrol - Ultimate Xtrk TBD

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2011, 05:11:13 PM »
TFB, ... "who?" ... what the Kiwis would call "wenkers". ...  "Look at me, I own fishing rods, but left 'em at home!"