Author Topic: Garage Heating  (Read 19262 times)

Offline bagpuss

• Tent User
  • Living the dream
Re: Garage Heating
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2019, 11:10:14 PM »
Here is a photo of he intake silencer that's on my heater I have fitted a air filter off ebay to help with keeping things out of the heaters intake I find that it really makes the jet intake sound a lot quieter

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2019, 04:16:18 AM »
No they don’t stop dust or small bugs - nor are they meant to - but i defy you to put one over your intake while it is running and not hear 100% reduction in intake whine.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2019, 06:38:53 AM »
No they don’t stop dust or small bugs - nor are they meant to - but i defy you to put one over your intake while it is running and not hear 100% reduction in intake whine.

I'll give it a try next weekend.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2019, 07:01:36 AM »
according to youtube tests, they make no difference to noise levels ?

If you are talking about the Australian bloke it is because he is testing it wrong. He has the decibel meter at the intake so he is measuring the induction noise through the baffles...thats why he gets a higher reading.
There are baffles in the way so the air makes an extra noise going around them.

The idea of the intake silencer is to stop the induction noise coming through the heater unit into the cabin.

They make a considerable difference to the sound where it matters, or at least mine do.

And just on the exhaust side of things the Aussie bloke said if you want a longer exhaust he recommends making it bigger. I disagree. These are a straight through system that is not restricted and are way large enough for the application.

I extended my exhaust years ago on the camper with the same size pipe and have never had an issue. I do the same in the garage.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 07:04:31 AM by DannyG »
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build
The following users thanked this post: edz

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2019, 06:39:35 PM »

The idea of the intake silencer is to stop the induction noise coming through the heater unit into the cabin.

I extended my exhaust years ago on the camper with the same size pipe and have never had an issue. I do the same in the garage.

I can hardly hear the noise from the intake inside, but outside is where I think it is noisy.....which is where the bloke had the decibel meter. I will try the original "silencer" on the weekend and see if it makes any difference.
My exhaust is very short, probably 250mm from outlet to the 1st of the 2 mufflers and only approx 50mm hanging off the 2nd muffler.
Can't say I can hear the exhaust at all.

What the bloke is saying on a few things is not that some things will cause major problems, but best practise.....and a few he backs up with sound reasoning....like having the pump at 45deg or better.

I'm not going to bag a bloke who went to a lot of trouble testing these things, especially when I haven't seen anyone do better ?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 06:43:42 PM by gronk »
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2019, 09:34:27 PM »

What the bloke is saying on a few things is not that some things will cause major problems, but best practise.....and a few he backs up with sound reasoning....like having the pump at 45deg or better.

I'm not going to bag a bloke who went to a lot of trouble testing these things, especially when I haven't seen anyone do better ?

I agree, no one needs to bag the bloke who has gone to a lot of trouble to offer some really good info on these heaters.
But it’s important that we as long term real world users give our real world version of our experience and not just a bench test.
We can’t help that our experiences are not the same as some of his bench testing.

I have never used a fuel filter on my old 2kw heater either just FYI :)

The Aussie guy on YouTube makes me wonder why he has spent so much money buying these units to do his testing?
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2019, 09:37:30 PM »

I hope it catches fire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2019, 10:29:45 PM »

Ha ha, they must have pure diesel down in Tassie !!  lol
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2019, 09:07:53 AM »
I don't have filters either. It's just a furnace fed by a dosing pump - it'll eat up any old crap, not that I feed it bad fuel.

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2019, 09:17:19 AM »
I don't have filters either. It's just a furnace fed by a dosing pump - it'll eat up any old crap, not that I feed it bad fuel.

Yep I was actually thinking of mixing in some old sump oil into my fuel to get rid of the stuff. I wonder if it would work?

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2019, 09:27:06 AM »
Yep I was actually thinking of mixing in some old sump oil into my fuel to get rid of the stuff. I wonder if it would work?
As long as it's diluted enough it should be fine. Plenty of vids show bio diesel/ diesel veg oil mixes all being burned. As long as you don't go more than about 50/50 ratio you shouldn't have to pre heat the oil to get it to burn.

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2019, 09:30:45 AM »
As long as it's diluted enough it should be fine. Plenty of vids show bio diesel/ diesel veg oil mixes all being burned. As long as you don't go more than about 50/50 ratio you shouldn't have to pre heat the oil to get it to burn.

Thanks, Ill do some testing on the weekend. Even adding 20-30% would be great as it helps to get rid of all the old oil we get around here.

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2019, 10:07:21 AM »
Thanks, Ill do some testing on the weekend. Even adding 20-30% would be great as it helps to get rid of all the old oil we get around here.

I would probably make sure you use it on high, one issue I have heard about with them is sooting up, especially when running at a low temp. I imagine that adding, especially old oil out of a diesel engine would also contribute to a soot issue, Running it at a high temp apparently helps with this by burning it all off.
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2019, 09:57:25 PM »

Fed by a dosing pump with a small orifice....feeding into another small orifice before it hits the "furnace"..
Mine came with a filter, so an easy decision.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2019, 08:29:32 PM »
Well, I'm camping atm, have tried the heater.......works great, too good in fact....ran it on low last night ( 1.8 pulse rate ) for 1/2 hr before bed....had to turn it off....unless we wanted to sleep naked on top of the bed with no sheets.
Tried the 2 different intakes.....one is the original "silencer" and the one I bought, a similar one with just a fine gauze and nothing else......And NO difference in intake noise.....inside or outside.
The missus loves it in the morning, to have a quick wash in a tub of hot water in the camper.
Can't say it's really quiet, but as we won't run it all night, it'll be ok
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2019, 08:44:08 PM »
I’ve always compared our diesel heaters noise inside the camper to sounding like sitting in your car with it’s fan on high...not quiet, but not super loud either.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2019, 09:51:53 PM »
Those who think that they’re loud must be bloody light sleepers. Being a constant background noise I have no problem sleeping while it’s on

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Garage Heating
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2019, 10:00:48 PM »
Or...... They went camping for the peace and quiet and can’t believe that selfish bastard beside them is going to running that bloody annoying droning thing right beside their tent all bloody night......

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2019, 10:12:12 PM »
Or..... if they wanted peace and quiet, perhaps camping beside someone wasn’t the brightest move

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2019, 09:57:17 AM »
Or..... if they wanted peace and quiet, perhaps camping beside someone wasn’t the brightest move

Might be a bit late when the 1st you knew,  the person 10m away fires it up at 10pm ?

I've always been a bit anti noise late at night at a campground so I'd be hesitant to run my heater for too long right near someone.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2019, 01:26:37 PM »
Might be a bit late when the 1st you knew,  the person 10m away fires it up at 10pm ?

I've always been a bit anti noise late at night at a campground so I'd be hesitant to run my heater for too long right near someone.

You’d want to hope they don’t snore as I know that’d be louder and less consistent than my heater running

Offline aussie9

• Tent User
« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2019, 01:46:26 PM »

Just spent a week at a Forestry Camp that is usually deserted through the week. I was the only one there Sun to Tues when 4 vans (with vehicles) arrived and set up in a group about 100mts away.
Far enough away
Come 6:30pm 3 fired up diesel heaters and these all cycled on and off until about 7:00am the next morning.
People that say heaters are like a gentle hum, hardly audible, weren't near these 3.
Weren't even timed to cut in and out together.
Not as bad as generators, but louder than the usual owl or koala or even the occassional deer rutt.
Same the next 3 nights.
I just pulled my goose down eiderdown up and was probably warmer than them anyway.
It did get down to -6 most mornings but is winter after all.
Cheers

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2019, 01:51:20 PM »
Not as bad as generators.....

They may not be as loud as generators, but they ARE just as bad.

Back to garage heating....

:cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2019, 03:00:20 PM »

Come 6:30pm 3 fired up diesel heaters and these all cycled on and off until about 7:00am the next morning.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

And there lay the problem.... cycling. Yes they can get noisier if set via thermostat and cycle on and off, they also use a lot more battery power. If mines on overnight its just left running or I totally agree that it’d give me the sh#%s too

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2019, 03:13:42 PM »
And there lay the problem.... cycling. Yes they can get noisier if set via thermostat and cycle on and off, they also use a lot more battery power. If mines on overnight its just left running or I totally agree that it’d give me the sh#%s too

ATM, only because I haven't read the instructions on how to do thermstat settings, it is running on min or up to max pulse rate settings.
On the lower settings ( around the 2 mark ) it is fairly quiet.....but still boils the camper after 1/2 hr.
Anyway, the best thing for us so far is to warm up the camper before bed, then when I get up in the morning , turn the power on to the controller and the missus can fire it up when she decides to get out of bed.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra