Author Topic: The firewood thread  (Read 234311 times)

Offline Mattsglxr

• Tent User
The firewood thread
« Reply #775 on: October 31, 2017, 10:21:23 PM »
Edited due to double post
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 09:47:08 PM by Mattsglxr »

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: The firewood thread
« Reply #776 on: November 01, 2017, 06:19:53 AM »
Nice load but there ae a lot of gaps in the load
For Stack & Stow l give you a 7 out of 10    ( Could do better next time  ) :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #777 on: November 11, 2017, 06:09:28 PM »
Next year we are building a new house, and in that house will be a ducted heat pump.........I have spent too many years dealing with wood, I am 100% sick of it!

Today we made sure next winter is covered for the final time................this may be my last pile of wood  :laugh: Well I may put a small wood heater in my new shed so perhaps it wont be  ???

About 10 metres in this pic.
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #778 on: November 11, 2017, 06:23:21 PM »
Next year we are building a new house, and in that house will be a ducted heat pump.........I have spent too many years dealing with wood, I am 100% sick of it!

Today we made sure next winter is covered for the final time................this may be my last pile of wood  :laugh: Well I may put a small wood heater in my new shed so perhaps it wont be  ???

About 10 metres in this pic.

Danny, I can relate to your point in life, I too after 30 years was sick of  finding, cutting splitting, stacking and then moving from wood shed to house, firewood so I just moved to Queensland.
Good luck with the new house build.
 Out of interest when you say you are putting in a ducted heat pump what do you mean?
In a previous life ( plumbing business) I use to install many variations of either hydronic heating, both panel radiators and under slab heating and also ducted gas furnace heating. Never done a ducted heat pump.

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #779 on: November 11, 2017, 06:35:31 PM »
Danny, I can relate to your point in life, I too after 30 years was sick of  finding, cutting splitting, stacking and then moving from wood shed to house, firewood so I just moved to Queensland.
Good luck with the new house build.
 Out of interest when you say you are putting in a ducted heat pump what do you mean?
In a previous life ( plumbing business) I use to install many variations of either hydronic heating, both panel radiators and under slab heating and also ducted gas furnace heating. Never done a ducted heat pump.

haha yeh moving to queensland is one solution to the heating issue  ;D

Im not sure how to explain a ducted heat pump but its just a reverse cycle system that they put in the roof (I dont know why its better in the roof?? Not all of them are.) and run ducting to each room.

You control the temperature in the rooms by opening or closing the vents. Very basic but it works. You also have a thermostat in the main living area for automated control of the temperature and that of course effects all the other rooms.

95% of people just leave all the vents open and allow the thermostat to control the temp in the whole house.

But just to touch on what you said about the firewood, the saying that it heats you 3 times is very true! Cutting splitting and stacking is one thing, and can usually be done to cover a winter in a big day or two. Its the transferring it inside so the wife has easy access that annoys me over winter. And its messy. You cant beat the heat though.
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #780 on: November 11, 2017, 07:13:59 PM »
haha yeh moving to queensland is one solution to the heating issue  ;D

Im not sure how to explain a ducted heat pump but its just a reverse cycle system that they put in the roof (I dont know why its better in the roof?? Not all of them are.) and run ducting to each room.

You control the temperature in the rooms by opening or closing the vents. Very basic but it works. You also have a thermostat in the main living area for automated control of the temperature and that of course effects all the other rooms.

95% of people just leave all the vents open and allow the thermostat to control the temp in the whole house.

But just to touch on what you said about the firewood, the saying that it heats you 3 times is very true! Cutting splitting and stacking is one thing, and can usually be done to cover a winter in a big day or two. Its the transferring it inside so the wife has easy access that annoys me over winter. And its messy. You cant beat the heat though.

I just worked it out https://www.auroraenergy.com.au/help-and-advice/heating-guide/heat-pumps-ducted
It  appears to be just another name and variation of Ducted Airconditioning. It was why I asked as I always think of an A/C compressor as a heat pump, same as a fridge is a heat pump, and for the plumber that I am a heat pump hot water unit is just a water heater with a AC compressor

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #781 on: December 07, 2017, 04:57:04 PM »
Another couple of tonne from the bottom paddock. Just wish it didn't take out the fence on the way down. All cut up now and ready to stack in the shed for next winter, or maybe next week with our weather of late

GG

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #782 on: December 07, 2017, 07:21:06 PM »
As long as your not taking down trees  Willy  Nilly   , if it happens to fall on the ground then its fair game    ;D            :cheers:

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #783 on: December 07, 2017, 08:42:58 PM »
I think you have another winter in the other half standing. I think it is buggered now that it has split at ground level.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #784 on: December 07, 2017, 10:18:13 PM »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #785 on: December 08, 2017, 05:19:47 AM »
I think you have another winter in the other half standing. I think it is buggered now that it has split at ground level.

I have enough dead wood standing to last the next 10 years or so of Melbourne winters  ;D

GG

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #786 on: December 08, 2017, 07:33:32 AM »
I have enough dead wood standing to last the next 10 years or so of Melbourne winters  ;D

GG

Bloody wood.........this will keep a few families warm for a few Tassie winters!

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #788 on: December 08, 2017, 12:18:44 PM »
Bloody wood.........this will keep a few families warm for a few Tassie winters!
call on me and scott.. we'll get it done in a weekend for you :)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #789 on: December 09, 2017, 04:00:59 AM »
call on me and scott.. we'll get it done in a weekend for you :)
Hand out the grog & stand back     :cheers:

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #790 on: December 09, 2017, 06:30:07 AM »
Hand out the grog & stand back     :cheers:

.....well back....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #791 on: December 09, 2017, 07:47:22 PM »
This could be a really Hot topic               :cheers:

Offline VKPrado

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #792 on: December 11, 2017, 01:07:20 PM »
What do others have in the way of a blockbuster/ splitter? The manual type you actually have to swing.

I have a one with a fiberglass type handle with a rubber grip that is showing quite a lot of wear and want to update it but am struggling to find one that will stand up to actually splitting wood.

I have purchased a Cyclone branded one with a wooden handle from the big green shed but broke the handle on the first hit. I returned it as it had only be an hour since it was bought and they replaced it. Took it home and once again one hit and the handle broke. Took it back and asked for my money back. The sales person remark was that I must be hitting it to hard  ???. Back home with the old splitter and kept splitting the wood.

So what do others have and/ or recommend?

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #793 on: December 11, 2017, 01:18:43 PM »
What do others have in the way of a blockbuster/ splitter? The manual type you actually have to swing.

I have a one with a fiberglass type handle with a rubber grip that is showing quite a lot of wear and want to update it but am struggling to find one that will stand up to actually splitting wood.

I have purchased a Cyclone branded one with a wooden handle from the big green shed but broke the handle on the first hit. I returned it as it had only be an hour since it was bought and they replaced it. Took it home and once again one hit and the handle broke. Took it back and asked for my money back. The sales person remark was that I must be hitting it to hard  ???. Back home with the old splitter and kept splitting the wood.

So what do others have and/ or recommend?

I use one of these, http://www.fiskars.com.au/products/gardening/axes/splitting-axe-xxl-x27-1015644

Split tonnes of timber with it every year and it is the best I have used. A bit expensive but quality is not cheap

GG

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #794 on: December 11, 2017, 01:29:47 PM »
Quote from: VKPrado

Knickers to swing, bought a $200 electric Ebay one 4-5 yrs ago... only a small unit but does everything I've asked of it :D
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline VKPrado

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #795 on: December 11, 2017, 01:38:42 PM »
I use one of these, http://www.fiskars.com.au/products/gardening/axes/splitting-axe-xxl-x27-1015644

Split tonnes of timber with it every year and it is the best I have used. A bit expensive but quality is not cheap

GG

Thanks for the recommendation. I have only seen these in the shop so did wonder what they were like to actually use.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #796 on: December 11, 2017, 07:38:08 PM »
Get your Mummer to split wood  , if to aint petrol powered its your problem  :cheers: ;D

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
« Reply #797 on: March 01, 2018, 07:32:51 PM »
Anyone ever use a tungsten tip chainsaw chain? Been thinking about trying one out to see what they are like.
SWMBO reminds me of a Prodigy song....
Driving - Mighty 89 2.8td Rodeo
Towing - Aussie Jays Big Red (with her DMax http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=33442.0)

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #798 on: March 01, 2018, 08:14:10 PM »
Anyone ever use a tungsten tip chainsaw chain? Been thinking about trying one out to see what they are like.

Many years ago i had one on a 20" bar, advantages was that it lasted longer but the early ones like I had tended to lose a tip or two easily. Expensive and finding someone to retip and edge was difficult. I believe the modern version has the T/C not only on the top tip but down over the front edge of cutting tip so,may work better.
I worked out I was better of taking out upto 4 or more sharpened chains and regularly swap over at the first time the chain shows signs of struggling, saving the chain from a need for a deep grind resharpen. I would then take back to the shed the used chains to bench sharpen.If needed I might just chuck the hand file over chain in field if required.

Offline pabhar

• Swag User
« Reply #799 on: March 02, 2018, 09:48:30 AM »
With all of the storms in South East Qld of late managed to pick up some firewood for the pizza oven and camping to dry out. Big tree came down in the park across the road, unfortunately the council contractors only left the main trunk by the time I organised the chainsaw but still managed to get a fair pile.