Author Topic: 200 Series diesel has cacked its dacks  (Read 33318 times)

Offline JD-120

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: 200 Series diesel has cacked its dacks
« Reply #225 on: September 16, 2020, 06:42:54 AM »
Bad luck JD, did you tow much with the Prado and towing when it detonated?
Always worries me when I hear of this happening.
We had a similar experience with our CX 5 diesel but fortunately Mazda came to the party even though it was 3 years  and 60000km over or out of warranty, fitting a new complete engine with new everything turbos , injectors etc.

yeah we were towing about 2T when it happened. Is  diesel, had about 220k on the clock. its an 08 model, so no chance of Toyota paying for it unfortunatley as this was only just last year. It hurt at the time, was pretty stressfull  end to a bloody terrific trip away.  Im just happy that it happened on the way home, on the highway and in cell phone reception. Could of been a whole lot painfull.

side note: I thought I had the top cover of RACQ being Ultimate. apparently theres a higher cover called platinum and this is the cover that also gets your van home. I ended up having pay to get the van sent home. seperate to the prado
Cheers

Justin

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #226 on: September 16, 2020, 07:02:58 AM »
Got it back today

Yay! ;D

Good to hear, Keith :cup:

Fingers crossed for your trip home ;D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday
The following users thanked this post: KeithB

Offline Pauloz

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #227 on: September 16, 2020, 07:22:35 AM »
Excellent, great to hear!!   :D :D

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #228 on: September 16, 2020, 08:51:35 AM »
yeah we were towing about 2T when it happened. Is  diesel, had about 220k on the clock. its an 08 model, so no chance of Toyota paying for it unfortunatley as this was only just last year. It hurt at the time, was pretty stressfull  end to a bloody terrific trip away.  Im just happy that it happened on the way home, on the highway and in cell phone reception. Could of been a whole lot painfull.

side note: I thought I had the top cover of RACQ being Ultimate. apparently theres a higher cover called platinum and this is the cover that also gets your van home. I ended up having pay to get the van sent home. seperate to the prado

Thats interesting, I have Ultimate cover and just logged into my account and copy and pasted the info below. Might check into this a bit further.
I checked on my account and there isn't an option for Platinum Roadside assist, Ultimate is the highest option.

RACQ Ultimate is perfect for Queenslanders who love getting out on the open road.
If you rely on your car to travel those extra distances each day or you’re often away on a holiday road trip or weekend adventures, the last thing you want is a car breakdown. Our highest level of roadside cover gives you up to $7,000 a year in benefits and travel entitlements, including towing up to 200km. RACQ Ultimate covers you in any eligible car plus you can nominate a car that is covered no matter who is driving. And if you travel with a caravan or trailer it’s covered as part of your policy~.

RACQ Ultimate is the only roadside cover that offers you the option to have your caravan or trailer returned to a location of your choice in the event it cannot be mobilised.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 08:56:38 AM by noel_w »
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #229 on: September 16, 2020, 11:28:15 AM »

Thats interesting, I have Ultimate cover and just logged into my account and copy and pasted the info below. Might check into this a bit further.
I checked on my account and there isn't an option for Platinum Roadside assist, Ultimate is the highest option.

RACQ Ultimate is perfect for Queenslanders who love getting out on the open road.
If you rely on your car to travel those extra distances each day or you’re often away on a holiday road trip or weekend adventures, the last thing you want is a car breakdown. Our highest level of roadside cover gives you up to $7,000 a year in benefits and travel entitlements, including towing up to 200km. RACQ Ultimate covers you in any eligible car plus you can nominate a car that is covered no matter who is driving. And if you travel with a caravan or trailer it’s covered as part of your policy~.

RACQ Ultimate is the only roadside cover that offers you the option to have your caravan or trailer returned to a location of your choice in the event it cannot be mobilised.
google doesnt show platinum either.
https://www.racq.com.au/roadside-assistance/compare-roadside-options

https://www.racq.com.au/roadside-assistance/how-it-works/terms-and-conditions
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #230 on: September 16, 2020, 11:37:29 AM »
No, nothing on their site now, but I'm certain that I looked there only in this last week or so & also saw Platinum listed, because at the time I thought "Whatda - you mean my Ultimate isn't good enough any more" ??? :'(
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline JD-120

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #231 on: September 16, 2020, 03:47:11 PM »

ahh, this is my bad, i had ultra, but needed ultimate. again, ultra seems pretty top level for me :)

disregard all platinum comments  ;D
Cheers

Justin
The following users thanked this post: noel_w

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #232 on: September 16, 2020, 04:00:25 PM »
ahh, this is my bad, i had ultra, but needed ultimate. again, ultra seems pretty top level for me :)

disregard all platinum comments  ;D
All good, thought I was missing something, though those that know me will tell you this anyway.  :laugh:
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #233 on: September 16, 2020, 05:04:43 PM »
All good, thought I was missing something, though those that know me will tell you this anyway.  :laugh:
They chop and change often enough it you were both right at 9am yesterday and 9am today :D
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #234 on: September 17, 2020, 06:05:17 AM »
Might want to find out what the conditions are. To me the word mobilised means the caravan can't be towed i.e broken axle etc.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline MarkVS

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #235 on: September 17, 2020, 08:04:58 AM »
Might want to find out what the conditions are. To me the word mobilised means the caravan can't be towed i.e broken axle etc.
I have RACQ Ultimate.....absolutely great service....2 years ago had a problem with my Pajero about 7 hrs away from home.
They sent a large flat bed truck out, pulled the car and camper (as one) up onto the tray, and took us all the way home. Then next day, sent out a smaller flatbed and took the car down to my mechanic.
Stayed in contact the whole time, and cost me nothing.

So they cover your tow vehicle, AND what you are towing, in the event that it is immobilised.
Mark VS
2020 Patrol Series 5
2015 Complete Campsite Exodus 14

2013,2015,2017 National Meet
Survivor 2013 McGirr Across the Gulf trip
2014 McGirr Cape trip
2016 Duggie Savannah trip
2018 McGirr Kimberley

For every situation you have 3 choices. Live with it, change it, or leave it. But only pick one

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #236 on: September 17, 2020, 08:10:56 AM »

My mate had a bearing fail and eat the end off his camper trailer swingarm axle over the NT border in Marla, S.A. such that the wheel almost fell off when he pulled over.

RACQ organised to get it home (Brisbane) and he got accomodation allowances etc to continue his trip with the family. Apparently a $12-15k job all up.

Touch wood I haven't needed it, but I definitely have it.

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #237 on: September 18, 2020, 09:46:22 AM »
Got it back today and took it for a return run from Orange to Lithgow (226km) without the van. Stuck to the speed limits in S6 mostly on cruise control. No issues at all with the engine. No error codes or anything like that.
Will try the same tomorrow with the van in tow in S4 and S5 before I take it back for final inspection. Did 12.3L/100km for the return trip, which is good for a vehicle with all the crap that mine has on it.
The aircon buttons have all gone haywire, so I will get them to see what their fancy code reader says.
Keith

All good yet Keith?

Has it passed final inspection?
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....
The following users thanked this post: slave

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #238 on: September 18, 2020, 09:56:41 AM »
Quote from: GeoffA
All good yet Keith?

Has it passed final inspection?

Hes stuck on side of road waiting for towy :'(

its a joke...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #239 on: September 18, 2020, 12:37:35 PM »
I took it for a second run Orange-Lithgow-Orange on Wednesday with the caravan on the back, same as before, in S4 sticking to the speed limits on cruise control. It went well and did 20.6 l/100 for the return trip. Took it back for inspection yesterday morning and all it needed was a coolant top up.
Came home yesterday afternoon and did 16.4 l/100km from Orange to the inner west of Sydney with the caravan in tow, again in S4 and S3 all the way.
Looking good so far.
I asked them to fit a Provent catch can, but, with a compressor and a third battery under the bonnet, there is no room to fit one. Does anyone have any ideas on that?
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #240 on: September 18, 2020, 01:35:44 PM »
Do you have room beside the brake master cyl ..  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prbP-qJwsDs        Failing that  Might have to set it up remotely lower down  with a sensor activated oil scavenger return pump . Wont be cheap though ..
Is there a way to mount the catch can high enough above the engine up under the dash and run a return line, using through bulkhead fittings ..
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 02:13:55 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #241 on: September 18, 2020, 02:05:43 PM »

I asked them to fit a Provent catch can, but, with a compressor and a third battery under the bonnet, there is no room to fit one. Does anyone have any ideas on that?
Keith

http://www.xpeditionconcepts.com.au/services/

This is the one I have, out of the way

GG
The following users thanked this post: GeoffA, KeithB

Offline MrCruza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #242 on: September 18, 2020, 07:18:13 PM »
Cheers, John.

'12 Cruiser
2020 NextGen Blackline

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #243 on: September 18, 2020, 08:32:59 PM »
Gents
How do you drain them?
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #244 on: September 18, 2020, 08:44:18 PM »
Different car, and I don't know how it would go for you, but I use one of these on my TD42T Patrol.

http://www.sydneyfilters.com.au/provent-200-non-return-check-valve/

It's been there for years, and I've never had to do anything.
Set and forget, but I'm sure there will be detractors....

:cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #245 on: September 18, 2020, 08:46:47 PM »
From  provents explanation they drain bak into the sump ..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kvfjvq6lCQ 
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #246 on: September 18, 2020, 08:53:33 PM »
Gents
How do you drain them?
Keith

Most or all of them have a drain outlet at the bottom. Run a hose off this with a on/off valve and run it under the 4wd and dump it every oil change.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #247 on: September 19, 2020, 07:28:09 AM »
Gents
How do you drain them?
Keith

The drain in mine is tucked up in the wing of the bullbar. Every 5000k i move the plastic internal liner of the inner guard out of the way and pull out the drain hose. It almost reaches the ground when extended. On the end i have a water ball valve which I zip tie locked and I drain it into a coke bottle or similar. After draining new zippy and tuck it up out of the way for next time.

GG
The following users thanked this post: plusnq

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #248 on: September 27, 2020, 06:00:04 PM »
How's it all going now your back home Keith. All running well?

GG

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #249 on: September 27, 2020, 10:37:58 PM »
The 200 is running very nicely indeed and I am catching up on a few caravan jobs while the argument goes on with Club 4x4 insurance. It's basically a question of whether the engine has been dusted, which is not attributable to a single event under the period of the policy. The repairer says it's been dusted. The vehicle has not been down a dirt road in four years and I can prove that with my fuel log book and a letter from my own mechanic quoting the service schedule and his opinion that the engine ran perfectly at the last service.

The other option is that some loose muck got sucked in during the first ever use of maximum power up hills in the passing with the 2.5 tonne loaded van on the back on its maiden voyage. There was a lot of loose carbonated muck in the inlet manifold and no sign of dust. Although there was some slight dust on the inlet plumbing which I think has been there forever.

I am asking for a pro rata payment based on the  expected life of the engine. On Thursday I am having a new Patroldocta air box and a Provent catch can fitted to prevent the problem recurring. In the meantime we are in the hands of the insurance Gods.

Keith