Author Topic: Flash Floods  (Read 50135 times)

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Flash Floods
« Reply #125 on: January 03, 2011, 04:15:06 PM »
Graylyn try to hold yourself together as long as you can , drink slow as the water up that way is merky . Do we need a beer drop to help you along ? Stay safe  :cheers:        :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline graylyn

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Kendall River Barramundi
« Reply #126 on: January 03, 2011, 04:17:28 PM »
Thanks mate, but no - the Engel has plenty of the good stuff to keep me happy until Ergon get their act into gear.

By the way, what is it like down your way?
The worst day fishing is always better than the best day at work.

2021 Isuzu d-max utility 3 litre
2012 Jayco Swan Outback
full 60 litre Engel

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #127 on: January 03, 2011, 05:06:14 PM »

Thinking of all in Rocky at this time, especially our Fearless Leader ... Oh and Happy Birthday to you Brett.  I'm watching some footage of what's happening in Rocky now ... shocking stuff ...

Kit_e
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 03:49:22 PM by Kit_e_kat9 »
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #128 on: January 04, 2011, 06:21:36 AM »
Those poor bastards in Rocky cut off & suffering the creeping water . Their world is slowly sinking , then when it goes there is the cleanup that can be the big heart breaker . Hang in there

Offline farmer6

• Tent User
« Reply #129 on: January 05, 2011, 04:41:34 PM »

Hi all

I haven't been on the site for a while. We have had no power now for 7 days. I've finally had a few minutes to come into the office to check things with the trusty Honda genni purring outside. I can live without power but sleeping without air con in these conditions isn't much fun. The river just below us rose high enough that the power line went under the water and is now covered in debris so they can not reconnect the line until they can get access to the line. We have been camping in the camper trailer on the next property over. We were only on generators for about 4 days there so that wasn't to bad but I am sick of the sound of them running. There were 3 families ( 15 people) living out of a 2 bedroom cottage with all our fridges and freezers that we took up from our houses running off a 5.5 KVA genni. Our houses were all out of the water with the lowest one having about 50 cm to go before it came in the house. All our farm levies failed and we have lost most of the crops and have alot of damage.

Emerald township is a mess with the flood level going higher than the "experts" thought it would go so most of the houses got some water damage with some getting over 1 metre of water thru homes. When the bridge re-opened into Emerald we went in and helped friends clean up there homes. The community spirit has been incredible with everyone helping each other. There have been teams of about 6 men from mines and other work places going from house to house with pressure washers and squeegees and mops and just get stuck in and clear out all the furniture and clean the house and then move on to the next and go again. It certainly restores your faith in society when you see it. 

There is massive infrastructure damage with roads destroyed and big sections of rail line washed out. It will take months to restore most of the damage and billions of dollars because of the scale. The damage just around here is huge so with all the other areas I wonder if the government will really be able to cope. When you see Bligh and Gillard put $1 million from each of the state and federal governments into a $2 billion bucket you really have to question your leaders grip on reality.

Rocky is now getting all of our water and its devastating that town just like all the other towns that this massive flood event has impacted on. The costs will be massive but the sadness and pain will be worse. If you know anyone affected by any of the flood water, ring or text them just to let them know you are there and thinking of them even if you are also effected. That alone is worth more to people than anything else.

Its rained the last 4 nights and is raining outside as I type this, so I guess that's what they call 'rubbing salt into the wound'. Anyway I better shut of the genni and get back to work.

farmer6
2006 100 series landcruiser wagon

2010 Jimboomba Camper

Offline Isuzumu

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Isuzu MU
« Reply #130 on: January 05, 2011, 07:36:42 PM »
Thanks for the up date mate, be carefull please.
Cheers Bruce
2012 Isuzu D.Max
1994 Isuzu Mu
2011 Jayco 17.55 Outback with Cruisemaster Independent Air Suspension
Off road trailer full of camping gear.

HF Radio Club  Sel Call 1955

Offline graylyn

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Kendall River Barramundi
« Reply #131 on: January 05, 2011, 07:55:04 PM »
Thnks Farmer.  My thoughts are with you mate.  I hope you get out of this mess ok.
The worst day fishing is always better than the best day at work.

2021 Isuzu d-max utility 3 litre
2012 Jayco Swan Outback
full 60 litre Engel

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #132 on: January 05, 2011, 08:09:52 PM »
Removed my thread as the timing was bad and that is my fault. There is a quote in the next page that needs to go as well.

Apologies.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 06:41:55 PM by SteveandViv »
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #133 on: January 05, 2011, 08:18:49 PM »
Hi all

I haven't been on the site for a while. We have had no power now for 7 days. I've finally had a few minutes to come into the office to check things with the trusty Honda genni purring outside. I can live without power but sleeping without air con in these conditions isn't much fun. The river just below us rose high enough that the power line went under the water and is now covered in debris so they can not reconnect the line until they can get access to the line. We have been camping in the camper trailer on the next property over. We were only on generators for about 4 days there so that wasn't to bad but I am sick of the sound of them running. There were 3 families ( 15 people) living out of a 2 bedroom cottage with all our fridges and freezers that we took up from our houses running off a 5.5 KVA genni. Our houses were all out of the water with the lowest one having about 50 cm to go before it came in the house. All our farm levies failed and we have lost most of the crops and have alot of damage.

Emerald township is a mess with the flood level going higher than the "experts" thought it would go so most of the houses got some water damage with some getting over 1 metre of water thru homes. When the bridge re-opened into Emerald we went in and helped friends clean up there homes. The community spirit has been incredible with everyone helping each other. There have been teams of about 6 men from mines and other work places going from house to house with pressure washers and squeegees and mops and just get stuck in and clear out all the furniture and clean the house and then move on to the next and go again. It certainly restores your faith in society when you see it. 

There is massive infrastructure damage with roads destroyed and big sections of rail line washed out. It will take months to restore most of the damage and billions of dollars because of the scale. The damage just around here is huge so with all the other areas I wonder if the government will really be able to cope. When you see Bligh and Gillard put $1 million from each of the state and federal governments into a $2 billion bucket you really have to question your leaders grip on reality.

Rocky is now getting all of our water and its devastating that town just like all the other towns that this massive flood event has impacted on. The costs will be massive but the sadness and pain will be worse. If you know anyone affected by any of the flood water, ring or text them just to let them know you are there and thinking of them even if you are also effected. That alone is worth more to people than anything else.

Its rained the last 4 nights and is raining outside as I type this, so I guess that's what they call 'rubbing salt into the wound'. Anyway I better shut of the genni and get back to work.

farmer6
Hang in there mate, there is light at the end of the tunnel.
In times like this the true Aussie fighting spirit comes out in bucketloads.

Take care mate
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:22:19 PM by Black Diamond »
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline Paul and Bern

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Living for Holidays
« Reply #134 on: January 05, 2011, 08:22:15 PM »
Thnks Farmer.  My thoughts are with you mate.  I hope you get out of this mess ok.

X2
Can every day be made a public holiday?

Offline WaituiRob

• "Oldies still doing it.....Camping that is!
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #135 on: January 05, 2011, 08:28:49 PM »
Hi Farmer,

Our thoughts are with you, your family and friends at this time for the terrible predicament you are in.
   To me seeing the pictures on television of the rising rivers and homes under water is terrible, but reading
 your story really hits home just how people are suffering and how helpless it makes others feel that we can`t
  do anything for you except donate to the fund.

Thinking of You,
  Robyn and Frank.  

Offline britts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #136 on: January 05, 2011, 09:23:14 PM »
Thoughts & best wishes out to you all.

Offline Duchess

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • "Its not as hard as you think, you know."
« Reply #137 on: January 05, 2011, 09:25:47 PM »
farmer6, thanks so much for checking in. It's been just shocking to watch from a distance, let alone be in the thick of it. It makes me so much more grateful for our levee bank and how it protects our town from the worst of flood water.

Know that there are many of us still thinking of you and yours as you go through this tough time.

I sure hope that after it is all over, you get a chance to get in the camper and go and have a break some where else, some where you can get your mind off things and forget for a little while about what you've been through. I did get to do the same thing over the Christmas break and I'm so glad I could, it sure has helped me.

"I've got one job on this ship. It's stupid but I'm going to do it!"

www.duchessandthedukeontour.blogspot.com.au

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #138 on: January 05, 2011, 09:32:30 PM »
Hey Farmer6,
Glad to hear you are okay ... physically ... mentally ... if not otherwise.  See you knew that camper would be a great investment!   :cup: 

Nice to know you can still get around up there without too much hassle.  Excellent to hear of the community spirit that comes through ... The Aussie Battlers will always come through with the help of other Aussie Battlers.  Usually the ones that can least afford to help always do so, such is the Australian Spirit. 

Keep us updated as the focus of the media is now all on Rocky ...

Kit_e

P.S Big storm here tonight.  Lots of thunder and lightning (which I do love).  Just had 36mm and it's still raining ...  Thankfully Brisvegas and surrounds is a fairly hilly place ...
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #139 on: January 05, 2011, 09:38:46 PM »
Taken mine down as well, as per Steve's post on the previous page.  As per my PM reply to Steve, I find him one of the most considered members on the forum, and his posts reflect that.  I should've seen his tongue firmly embedded in his cheek. So, equally "my bad".
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 12:14:27 AM by barry1956 »
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline morgue

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #140 on: January 05, 2011, 10:19:54 PM »
Its Back.....
1100hrs 5.1.11, Alstonville coped 34mm in 1 hr tonight, Coffs Habour 65mm and lower down is not looking too good if the predictions are right (I hope they are wrong, really wrong,), so low lying roads around the Mid and Nth Coast will be effected over the next 48hrs....please take care when travelling...stay out of swollen water courses (even if you have travelled them a hundred times before), it just isn't worth it.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #141 on: January 06, 2011, 05:41:46 AM »
This thread is to keep up to date with Swaggers on rhe ground , Who what where & when .
Not some political ranting about what should have been , I wish to deal with support for what it.
Wet & displaced  & worried for their familys thats the point  ( of what ever political color )
Hang tuff all of you
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 05:50:43 AM by speewa158 »

Offline GSK33

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Tent
« Reply #142 on: January 06, 2011, 06:46:39 AM »
Got up at 5am to go to work in Moura. 46ml rain overnight put all the creeks up again. Had to turn around and come home! Got out of bed early for nothing, Bugger. Road closed from Biloela to at least Banana. I can watch the Aussie's loose another game of cricket now.

Offline farmer6

• Tent User
« Reply #143 on: January 06, 2011, 02:23:40 PM »

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It even brought a tear to my eye, built up water pressure I assume. My wife is keen to get away in the camper once everything settles down. She is busy looking after kids in town for friends that are nurses and electricians so they can keep helping others after they clean up. Once the power is back on I will try to post some photos as they tell the story better than I ever could. My brother in law is a professional photographer and in the 2008 floods he got some great photos but he got 830mm of water thru his house so he didn't get much time to get many photos this time. Poor bugger lost boxes of negatives and is trying to sort thru boxes of black and white photos. He is in a 2 story house and was trying to get everything upstairs but wasn't able to save everything. Him and a mate carried a full size upright freezer full of meat and whatever else you have in a freezer up the stairs because there wasn't time to unload it. So I don't think I will ever do anything to make him mad after that effort. I weigh much less than a full freezer. ;D

Its amazing the amount of damaged furniture on the footpaths. There are crews going around all over town with backhoes and bobcats and trucks taking it to the dump but there is still just heaps of stuff still to be taken away. I don't think I have seen so many beds in my life. Then there are all the toys and even photos. You just feel for all these people and the poor kids that are trying to understand what is going on. Things are slowly returning to normal, or something like normal, around town but there is still heaps of work to be done to fix the homes. After the 2008 floods it took up to a year before everything was repaired in all the homes so I guess it will be the same this time around or even longer with the scale of flooding.

As for us here if the bloody rain ever stops and once the rivers go down we can start the clean up. We got one of the motors that went under water going but another one, that we thought we had fixed, has now blown a head gasket. As the water drains away the true extent of the damage is reveled. When everything is covered in dirty flood water it all looks ok because above the water is still fine and everything going on under the water is hidden.

Thanks again for your thoughts
farmer6
2006 100 series landcruiser wagon

2010 Jimboomba Camper

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #144 on: January 06, 2011, 06:03:57 PM »
When the water is down & the damage is in view & it all looks Iike Sh1t  , try to remember why you are there . This is the life you chose & its the life you love . Good Seasons Good Miles  :cheers:

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #145 on: January 06, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
Steve, why the need for a partisan beat-up?   ???
I am yet to come across these people with Plasma TVs, but know heaps who benefited from the fact that Australia avoided going into recession.  Likewise, having just travelled the back roads of Gippsland, I have seen the extent of re-building in both government and 'private' primary schools.  This resulted in real jobs for real people in real communities and, unlike the Liberal years, it wasn't just in government-friendly seats.
By comparison, the 'middle class welfare' of the Liberal years was far more than $900 / household, it was just that it was targeted at those with incomes well above average.  Would have been far more sensible if the Libs had spent that on new infrastructure, perhaps including 'flood proofing' where practicable.

Fair enough and I was just trying to be light hearted.. My apologies - I was wrong to post it...

I see a lot of things up here in the far NW and I can assure you many have done just as I said. We still have children that have no food but the parents watch Foxtel. One place to put this post, I should have know better

Steve
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #146 on: January 06, 2011, 08:11:41 PM »
I just want this thread to reflect our support to those up to there ears in it & gain a first hand grip on whats really going on . That is Australia not eny political color , as we are all in this together  ;D

Offline Duchess

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • "Its not as hard as you think, you know."
« Reply #147 on: January 06, 2011, 08:43:06 PM »
This is the life you chose & its the life you love . Good Seasons Good Miles  :cheers:

This sums it up for me...thanks speewa... :cheers:

"I've got one job on this ship. It's stupid but I'm going to do it!"

www.duchessandthedukeontour.blogspot.com.au

Offline NewcastleKnight

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #148 on: January 06, 2011, 08:53:37 PM »
I just want this thread to reflect our support to those up to there ears in it & gain a first hand grip on whats really going on . That is Australia not eny political color , as we are all in this together  ;D

My God Speewa, this actually makes sense and I agree!

Offline Sharky

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • AORC - Odyssey Export
« Reply #149 on: January 06, 2011, 11:10:37 PM »
I'm currently in Roma doing a bit of work in support of those struggling to minimise the damage from the huge amount of water flowing down the Balonne River.
Flew over Surat and St George today and thought I'd post these to give everyone an idea of the amount of water in this area.

This is the Balonne River about 20nm north of St George at the Breadmore resovoir. The water is surging through here at quite a speed.

This is the barage at St George.

Some people have gone to amazing efforts to save their property. Much was learnt from the March 2010 floods and there has been a lot of work done to save property. This house is just one of a number along the river edge that has it's own levy.

This is St George viewed from the NW. The town is coping well so far.

Sharky
LC105 & AORC - Odyssey Export