Author Topic: The Cost of Quality.......Or a Rip off ?  (Read 12763 times)

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: The Cost of Quality.......Or a Rip off ?
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2013, 06:08:53 PM »
I think most people don't realize that cargo barriers and draw systems must meet Australian standards and also must be ADR compliant.

It unfortunately isn't illegal to sell or fit noncompliant cargo barriers or draw systems but it is illegal to use a vehicle on Australian roads if noncompliant items are fitted.

Really? Do tell where this ADR and use policy exists.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline MR MAC GU

• Soft Floor Camper User
The Cost of Quality.......Or a Rip off ?
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2013, 06:38:22 PM »
Really? Do tell where this ADR and use policy exists.
See if this helps.

Lifted from the Milford website - Milford Industries

Question: “Aren’t all Cargo Barriers the same?”
Answer: “Very definitely not! Ensure that your Cargo Barrier complies with the Australian/New Zealand Standard AS4034. This Standard is the most rigorous in the world. The current version of this Standard is AS/NZS4034.1:2008. Failure to use AS4034.1 rated barriers puts a Fleet Manager at risk of prosecution in the event of an accident where an employee is injured. And who wants to live with themselves if their family is injured unnecessarily because a non-complying barrier was purchased? ”

Question: “What does a Cargo Barrier that meets the ‘Standard’ actually have to do?”
Answer: “The Cargo Barrier must have the design strength to remain intact and deform no more than the prescribed amount when a single mass load of no less than 60kg impacts at a force equivalent to that experienced in a 48kmh frontal crash. That’s an impact of 1200kg! Milford Cargo Barriers are rigorously tested in our own NATA approved test facility and independently certified to deliver this Standard for more than 200 Passenger, 4WD and Light Commercial Vehicles.”

Question: “What are some of the other design requirements of AS4034.1?”
Answer: “Cargo Barriers that comply with AS4034.1 are designed to fit specific vehicles. Among the many parameters, they must follow the perimeter of the vehicle, provide uninterrupted access for the seat belt and child restraint straps (this must be built into the barrier and not just provided as an extra cost option) and must provide a means of escape in the event of entrapment. They must be properly secured to the framework of the vehicle using special attachments (rather than the seat belt anchorages)”.

Question: “How do I know that a Cargo Barrier does actually comply with AS4034?”
Answer: “These days, it is easy to tell whether a Cargo Barrier meets the Standard. This is because the latest version of AS4034.1 includes the requirement that a Cargo Barrier have a means of avoiding entrapment in the unusual event of a person becoming locked in the vehicle. Because of this you should be able to visibly see a hammer or ‘access window’ on the product (with the exception of some vehicles that may have an internal tailgate release or where it is not possible to lock the vehicle load area from inside).”
“You can also tell whether a Cargo Barrier complies with the Standard by looking for the permanently attached Rating Label. The absence of a Rating Label means that the product does not comply at all. A Rating Label that does not state AS4034.1 means that the product only partially complies and you should ask further questions.”

Question: “What about if I wish to modify or install a secondhand cargo barrier?”
Answer: “The cargo barrier is designed and tested under strict compliance and high impact conditions, therefore in order to maintain the desired performance of the Cargo Barrier, strict adherence to the recommendations of the Australian Standard and our installation instructions is essential. Under no condition do we recommend modification of the product or the use of alternative anchorage points — to do so will void the warranty & rated capacity.
Where a Cargo Barrier is modified or a secondhand barrier which is damaged or has an unknown history is fitted, then the rated capacity plaque must be removed and replaced with a non-rated capacity tag by the installer. Failure to remove the rating plaque in these circumstances will result in the product liability transferring from the manufacturer to the retailer / installer of the product.

Draw systems come under the same ADR and as structure. Check black widows site for more details. Too many sub sections to cut and paste.

Sent from Behind you...BOO
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 06:49:29 PM by MR MAC GU »
"I live with Fear everyday and sometimes She lets me RACE"

The Motley Crew 4x4 and Social Club of Australia inc
www.themotleycrew.com.au

2004 GU Patrol ST Wagon with all the good touring gear.
"Lifted Locked and Loaded"

2010 Kimberley Platinum Extreme with "extras"

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2013, 07:00:49 PM »
So that states a cargo barrier must be certified and made to AU standard but it doesn't say it is 'illegal to use'

Oh and that is cargo barriers covered what about drawers...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 07:06:00 PM by D4D »

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline MR MAC GU

• Soft Floor Camper User
The Cost of Quality.......Or a Rip off ?
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2013, 07:06:31 PM »
How did I know that was going to be from Mr Black Widow. He and Mr Bushtracker must be great mates.

So that states a cargo barrier must be certified and made to AU standard but it doesn't say it is 'illegal to use'

Oh and that is cargo barriers covered what about drawers...

It's all under as4034 vehicle load restraint guide.

Both items fall in this category but I don't have a computer handy and the PDF won't open on my phone. But the answer is yes by law and not Milford etc.

All items fitted to vehicles that relate to safety must be ADR approved otherwise they are illegal.

Sent from Behind you...BOO
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 07:13:29 PM by MR MAC GU »
"I live with Fear everyday and sometimes She lets me RACE"

The Motley Crew 4x4 and Social Club of Australia inc
www.themotleycrew.com.au

2004 GU Patrol ST Wagon with all the good touring gear.
"Lifted Locked and Loaded"

2010 Kimberley Platinum Extreme with "extras"

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2013, 07:14:46 PM »
Can only find Cargo Barriers under 4034...

AS/NZS 4034.1:2008
Motor vehicles - Cargo barriers for occupant protection - Cargo barriers
AS/NZS 4034.2:2008
Motor vehicles - Cargo barriers for occupant protection - Partial cargo barriers

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2013, 07:29:30 PM »
Out of curiosity I looked at the black widow website as I made a set of drawers for my 4by years ago.

This is the only reference I could find relating to storage drawers.

"Rated Black Widow storage systems can carry 250kgs (ADR42/03) of evenly distributed weight in and on the system"

Heres a link to ADR42/03 http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2006L03056

Offline Brij

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2013, 08:11:49 PM »
Could I suggest that "A.S." is an Australian Standard, not an ADR.
Just because something is built to meet an "Australian Standard" doesn't mean it is "good", it just means it has been built to a "standard". I could build a cargo barrier out of 50mm box tube, anchored at 6 points with 19mm bolts through 12mm plated mounting points. If it isn't tested to the Australian Standard does it mean it is inferior?
No, it just means it is of an unknown capacity.
Milford's reference to the fleet manager being at risk if not using a barrier built to an A.S. is probably correct, but only because it is the easiest way for one to cover ones behind - to use something of a "recognised" standard.
In an individual's own vehicle, to say that the use of a non AS compliant barrier is illegal I don't believe is correct. If the plaque labeling it as AS compliant falls of it is no longer compliant probably is correct, but doesn't mean it is illegal.
The Milford spiel also states if a 2nd hand barrier has an "unknown" history it is also non compliant with the AS. Fair enough, but doesn't mean the strength has changed (unless it has been damaged)

If this is the case I (due to the unknown history and lack of labeling) have been using an "illegal" barrier for the last 10 years.

Does this mean the vehicle is still illegal (because the barrier doesn't meet the AS) when it has nothing behind it?

Does this mean when a vehicle has a load of more than 60kg behind the barrier it is illegal?

Personally I don't put a lot of faith in the barriers anyway. They are ONLY built to support 60kg at 48km/h. All well and good if I only had 60kg behind it and only travelled at 48km/h.

In my car anything that I can't lift with one hand gets strapped or bolted down. The cargo barrier is only used to keep the lighter sleeping bags, pillows etc neat and tidy when they are stacked on top of all the heavy stuff.
NX Pajero
NJ Pajero (semi retired  to firewood harvesting duties)
Home made camper

Offline chisel

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Lifestyle Extenda 2012, Landcruiser 100 TD 2006
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2013, 08:55:11 PM »
A bit daft having rules about cargo barriers when there's no rule/law to say you have to have one at all (and most people (not necessarily the people on this forum) don't).

Maybe it is relevant for employers who have to consider the safety of their employees when driving the vehicles, but for private use it can't really be relevant.

Offline lilstookie

• Traveling Lab Rats
  • Soft Floor Camper User
    • http://facebook.com/thewanderingjocks
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2013, 06:03:11 PM »
Cargo barriers need to be ADR approved, they a not something that can be legally just made and fitted.

In the case of an accident or roll over an incorrectly designed unit would cause major injuries to someone in the back.

Drawers, I've been running black widow drawers at work, not once have I had a customer complaint. Have been doing them for we'll,over 5 years. Great product, even if they are a little dear.

You bought a solid truck, do you really want to skimp on the bits that you're going to bolt on to it?

Some things are cheap for a reason.
As much as I hear what your saying, and Like I said Im not wanting cheap gear. A toyota factory barrier made by Milford $499 (full size)
An ARB half barrier is $698 + fitting .
So an ADR approved Milford is $200 cheaper and its double the size......does that mean its cheap and there is a reason for it ?
Or maybe the ARB is just simply overpriced.
Like NIKE.....made by kids and charged a fortune for and last no longer than any other Ive worn.

I see no ADR compliance plate on my DRIFTA setup.....does that mean its not legally allowed to go in my camper or are CT different kettle of fish.
I wasnt complaining about the prices I was simply stating they are Bloody expensive and I was shocked at the cost.
Sometimes its the name on the tin that get the higher tag. I used to get guitars made by one of the biggest companies but with our brand on it....same wood, hardware, electrics just a little different styling and it retailed for 1/3 the cost of the brand name.
So the cargo barrier by milford must have cheaper metal, cheaper bolts..........and bolts somewhere other than where the ARB one goes to make it worse I guess....?
Im assuming that the Black widow drawers are more expensive because of better wood, metal, fasteners and design.......?
I dont know so Im asking......  :cheers:
If the spelling and grammar are good, it's a post from Lil. If not, the mad Scot is on the keyboard ;)

Add us on facebook and keep up to date with our big lap .
www.facebook.com/TheWanderingJocks or follow our blog