Author Topic: This is me  (Read 7441 times)

Offline ozkraut

• Learning the Ropes
This is me
« on: November 23, 2017, 06:03:13 AM »
G'day all,

Up until late last year, my wife and myself were just your average grey nomad type caravanners, we had been to a lot of places and thoroughly enjoyed our travels, but it was time for a change. We made the decision to go back to a more basic style of travel and bought a quality touring tent and all the associated goodies that would make our camping trips comfortable.

We had contemplated a camper trailer, but opted to go for a tough 7x4 box trailer and set it up as a gear carrier. We didn't want to go too complex, just a rig that would handle the rough outback roads of western Qld and be easy to tow (compared to the two and a half tonne caravan). We did a shakedown run a couple of months ago and it all went well, but seeing others on the trip with well setup camper trailers got me thinking that a rear fold camper would be a better option, so here I am - looking for ideas and the inspiration to convert my trailer into it's next incarnation.

Jeff   
'never trust a man who doesn't drink or a town without a pub'

Offline Biesel

• Tent User
    • rlhydn_overland
Re: This is me
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 10:05:30 AM »
Sounds great mate, always good to hear people trying to cut back and make a more simple setup. it's very easy to try and take everything and live like you live at home these days.

Welcome a board. I'm new here as well back seems like a great place thus far.
The following users thanked this post: ozkraut

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 10:10:43 AM »
Welcome to the forum. :D

What kind of tent did you go for? We have an Oztent RV-3 and love the thing!
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com
The following users thanked this post: ozkraut

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 10:16:02 AM »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline ozkraut

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 10:36:48 AM »
Thanks for the welcome Biesel and Trinity.

One of the pitfalls of caravanning, Biesel, is that having so much space, you have a tendency to carry far too much gear, most of it completely surplus to your requirements. After quite a few years of travel, we became fairly minimalist in our approach to trip preparation and started leaving a lot of stuff at home. Since going back to basic camping, our trip prep is quite easy due to the trailer being packed with most gear at all times and ready to go with a minimum of fuss. It's just a matter of throwing in tucker, booze, clothes and the dog and away we go.

Trinity, we looked at the Oztent range and were close to buying the RV-3, but decided to go with a Black Wolf Turbo 240 - very happy with it.

Jeff

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 12:03:31 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Biesel and Trinity.

One of the pitfalls of caravanning, Biesel, is that having so much space, you have a tendency to carry far too much gear, most of it completely surplus to your requirements. After quite a few years of travel, we became fairly minimalist in our approach to trip preparation and started leaving a lot of stuff at home. Since going back to basic camping, our trip prep is quite easy due to the trailer being packed with most gear at all times and ready to go with a minimum of fuss. It's just a matter of throwing in tucker, booze, clothes and the dog and away we go.

Trinity, we looked at the Oztent range and were close to buying the RV-3, but decided to go with a Black Wolf Turbo 240 - very happy with it.

Jeff

The trailer sounds like an awesome idea. For us its still usually a couple hours of tetris to pack and unpack the car at each end of a trip!

I've heard and seen good things wiht the Turbo tents Black Wolf do. While I love our tent, I do also love that the Black Wolf folds up a fair bit smaller...
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline Biesel

• Tent User
    • rlhydn_overland
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 12:25:59 PM »
How old is your troopy? An oldie but a goldie going by the photo.

Offline ozkraut

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 05:25:01 AM »
your wish is here...
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=53584.0

Thanks for the thought, Bird, but the KK is way out of my range and also way too complex for my style of camping.

Jeff

Offline ozkraut

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 05:34:02 AM »
How old is your troopy? An oldie but a goldie going by the photo.

It's a '97 model, basically stock standard, not the most comfortable of rides and definitely not the fastest especially when towing our caravan, but the old tub is honest. I bought it in 2000 when I worked for Toyota in Darwin, ex army trade-in with only 70k on the clock, now up to 380k and still going strong.

Jeff

Offline Biesel

• Tent User
    • rlhydn_overland
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 01:53:33 PM »
Tojo tough, Good stuff.