Author Topic: Hi from Millmerran, queensland  (Read 3379 times)

Offline Ian Rogers

• Learning the Ropes
Hi from Millmerran, queensland
« on: August 20, 2017, 08:42:47 PM »
I was reading Camper Trailer Australia mazagine on my tablet using Zinio when i came across an advert for Myswag. So i tried to register only to eventually discover i had already done so way back in 2010!
Anyhow a belated hi from me.
Being a farmer makes me by necessity a jack of all trades and master of nothing. The relevance of this here relates to the modifications and upgrades i have undertaken DIY on my Prado 120 VX 2007 D4D that i use to pull a Avan Aliner. In particular i have replaced the Alko rubber torsion axle with a Timbren  axle-less suspension on 16 inch tyres to achieve significant extra ground clearance. In the process i significantly beefed up the chassis  and extended the drawbar, the latter to allow  the Prado barn door to open  while hitched. A vehicle components do35 hitch, stone guard, second  agm battery charged by a roof mounted 150 watt solar panel or from the Prado auxiliary  battery both via a ctek 250b dc-dc charger, numerous merit and andersen plug sockets inside and out, 600 watt inverter etc etc. The aim of it all is to be able to free camp anywhere without going over board on the 4wd off road bit. We have now done a lot of miles on bitumen but are yet to see how the Avan will handle dirt like the Birdsville track.

Offline Ian Rogers

• Learning the Ropes
Re: Hi from Millmerran, queensland
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 08:47:41 PM »
I forgot  to mention that i also did a GVM upgrade via an engineer after i weighed the Aliner to discover how heavy the new tare was and more importantly how heavy the ATM would be when loaded

KingBilly

Re: Hi from Millmerran, queensland
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 10:15:02 PM »
A belated welcome to myswag Ian.  Sounds like your Avan is well set up  :cup:

Happy camping
KB