Author Topic: Myswag - the good, the bad and the downright ugly  (Read 3084 times)

Offline Jillsy

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
Myswag - the good, the bad and the downright ugly
« on: April 11, 2020, 03:59:58 PM »
Hey Folks,

I have been reading a fair bit of content on here these past few days about people’s thoughts on the Forum so thought that I would respond.

Edited to add: for those who don’t know me, I joined Myswag in 2011 when I met my now Husband Brett (the guy who started the Forum).

Regarding the COVID-19/Coronavirus threads, I disagree that they should be taken down as it (COVID/Corona) is something that is playing on most people's minds at the moment and I feel that if people want to discuss it, they should be able to.  The social distancing rules in place are most likely a contributor to the large number of Members being on and posting these past few weeks.  What I ABSOLUTELY disagree with though are the disrespectful, immature and downright rude content of some of these posts.  It's not called for, it's not necessary and it's not tolerated.

As for the call for more Moderators, we are damned if we do and damned if we don't Swaggers!  One minute everyone is loving that Myswag is a relaxed environment where there are no power-struck Mods deleting posts that haven't been put in the exact correct section etc, the next minute you want a Mod to jump on every little thing! As Snow said "I have in the past edited/deleted/locked posts and threads and copped an earful for my troubles." How about everyone just has a red hot go at being respectful? Respecting other people's opinions? Having intelligent debates rather than resorting to name calling? Thinking before they type? Behaving like an adult?  There's a novel idea hey!  And if someone does post something that you think doesn't align with Myswag's normal tone, instead of coming down to the level of the offending poster, hit the report to Moderator button! That way a Mod can be alerted to the issue and deal with it (if it needs to be) sooner rather than later (these reports are sent through to most of our emails).

To hear comments like "The place has had its day, unfortunately...  and will never recover...." is extremely hurtful for me. When I think back to all of the National Meets and local meets that I have attended over the past nearly 9 years, I KNOW that Myswag hasn't "had it's day", that the "final nail" hasn't gone in the coffin.  So many friendships have been formed on here. So many "strangers" have helped each other out whether it be via offering a Swagmail or posting a part that is no longer needed to someone who needs it. So much information has been shared.  And all of these things WILL continue to happen!!!

It isn't just up to the Mods to "set the tone" of the Forum, it is also up to it's Members.  Instead of posting up something that you know is definitely going to offend, text it to your Mate who you know will have a chuckle.  Instead, post up a Mod you have done to your CT.  Tell us your wish list for your new tug.  Reply to someone who is asking for recommendations for camping spots in a certain area.

I am currently sitting in our garage (which also has our office in it) and to my left is a shelf filled with Myswag Merchandise.  I look at it and smile.  Smile because I know how much of kick I get out of seeing everyone in their Myswag gear when we go to a meet.  Smile because I love to read the "spotted" thread and see our stickers out and about.

When "Rona" has gone,  I vote we have some trips semi planned and ready to be put into action.  I will post some more regarding this in the Trips section later. In the meantime, I need to jump off and go and purchase some carrots for the Easter Bunny as I forgot to get them in my grocery shopping earlier this week.

We are in the midst of an unprecedented event that is taking it's emotional, physical and financial toll on people. Take care of yourselves and those your hold dear.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 04:54:14 PM by Jillsy »

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
Re: Myswag - the good, the bad and the downright ugly
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 04:38:27 PM »
Thank you.
Take care of each other.

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 04:44:07 PM »
Bang on the money Jill, as usual.... :cup: :cup:

:cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 05:25:06 PM »
I agree with everything you said...but, are those carrots essential travel ??   ;D ;D ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline outbackogre

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 06:09:20 PM »
Thanks Jill.  I usually don't contribute to the socio-political commentary on this forum.  It's hard enough engaging in such discussions face to face (when I can see facial expressions and body language), but doing it on social media is just too hard.  Combine this with the largely anonymous nature of social media, where there are no consequences for what is said, no matter how outrageous or offensive, and it's a recipe for pain.  As Jill suggests, forums like this will become even more important as the isolation bites harder.  Some may invest quite deeply in the people and narratives that populate Myswag, seeking virtual company in these challenging times and, even when no offense is intended, become hurt because they are so fragile.  Let's help maintain a positive culture in Myswag, especially for those who need this forum now more than ever.
My friends call me Rob.  You can call me ... Rob!
NW auto diesel Pajero towing a Jayco Starcraft Outback.
The following users thanked this post: rossm

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 06:37:15 PM »
Spot on Jillsy.   

When you consider the end 2019 and most of 2020 have not been 'normal' and a lot of people's 'normal' means of relaxation and chance to 'reset' has been either postponed, banned, placed on hold now locked out, due to firstly the Bushfires, flooding and now COVID19.   

They are all things which impacted on our 'normal' habits.   Can't remember when I last went bush, it was the start of the Bushfires in this area so I have missed all summer, not that there was much water flowing anywhere due to the drought.   Don't know when I last picked up my camera, should go and take the battery out of it.   

Because the above mentioned have impacted so much on our lives and lifestyles, it is only natural we talk about it.   The vast majority of what I have read has been pretty straight forward.   What I do see is people reacting to what is written.   I go back to find what is so bad in what is written but I don't see it.   

What I do see is peoples natural reaction to an 'unnatural' set of circumstances.   The more things we have impacting on us the easier it becomes for that final straw to break our back and then we react.   Sometimes we can see our reaction for what it is and deal with accordingly, sometimes we are blind to our reaction and others see it before we do.  That was the main reason I started the Cabin Fever thread. 

All I can say is to echo Jillsy's words.  "We are in the midst of an unprecedented event that is taking it's emotional, physical and financial toll on people. Take care of yourselves and those your hold dear."
Cheers

Al and/or Jan
The following users thanked this post: GeoffA, Fizzie

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 07:16:19 PM »
For whatever reason, some people take things too seriously but this Forum is a pretty chilled out Forum and I for one, like coming here and not taking things too seriously.  8)

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 07:28:02 PM »
  I usually don't contribute to the socio-political commentary on this forum. 

Me either. It's like striking up a conversation with a stranger at a camp ground and quickly finding that he has an opinion on everything and it's  180 degrees different to to yours and wants to let you know.

Suddenly I have to go and check my tent pegs ...

There has been some great stuff here over the years on camping and travelling ... and a few laughs on the electrical pages.

That's what I visit for. I hope it can keep going.

Take care people.   

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 08:17:35 AM »
Thanks Jillsy, well said, Craig
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer