Author Topic: Camping & COVID19  (Read 18219 times)

3rd time lucky

Re: Camping & COVID19
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2020, 06:35:00 PM »
Bahahaha, you do know where most of our basic goods come from?  If you think you can live without buying Chinese made, you are living in a fantasy world  :D
Another reactive smart arse reply to a considered and intelligent post. Pull your head in and re-read what Mark wrote,and consider the implications.
If you must post on myswag, do it for the right reasons please, not because you feel the need to belittle a fellow member.
We are all in this together so the last thing anyone should read is small minded slays that achieve nothing.

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Sorry, did i offend you with my Common Sense?
    • Everyday Hero
« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2020, 06:57:51 PM »
Bahahaha, you do know where most of our basic goods come from?  If you think you can live without buying Chinese made, you are living in a fantasy world  :D
CTL.
Yes im very aware of where alot of our goods come from.Every journey starts with the first step. I gather your aware of that saying?
That phrase didnt come out of a fantasy book either.

You might want to go searching on just where it did come from.

If we all bought more Aussie produced goods then our manufacturers and producers and Australia would be in a lot better shape.

Fact.
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/markgu/patrol?fu=5470975

CTL

« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2020, 07:02:56 PM »
Just remember when eventually all of this is over.............remember where this virus started and shop accordingly. We will be.
Reckon China will be defiantly be on the avoid list for many people in future.

Another reactive smart arse reply to a considered and intelligent post. Pull your head in and re-read what Mark wrote,and consider the implications.
If you must post on myswag, do it for the right reasons please, not because you feel the need to belittle a fellow member.
We are all in this together so the last thing anyone should read is small minded slays that achieve nothing.

What?  Did you read what MarkGU wrote?  It was neither considered nor intelligent.

I fully understand the implications of the COVID-19 pandemic.  Do you?

Not buying Chinese goods is an impossible, knee jerk reaction.

If we all bought more Aussie produced goods then our manufacturers and producers and Australia would be in a lot better shape.

Fact.

If I could buy a similar product made in Australia, I would in a heart beat.  I can’t buy any household electrical items made in Australia.  And that is only one example.  Tell you what, when you stop buying Chinese, because that is where the pandemic started, post back on here what you actually bought.  Can’t be fairer than that.

Online Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2020, 07:05:37 PM »
China has us & many countries by the goolies.
Unless over night a manufacturing industries can start up, compete with cheap labour, no worker protection, we are in for another rodgering.
Are consumers, you and me, prepared to pay that cost? NO.
We all love our cheap goods at the cost of humanity that China forces on their own.
but please enlighten us on the answer :)
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • Everyday Hero
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2020, 07:08:49 PM »
What?  Did you read what MarkGU wrote?  It was neither considered nor intelligent.

I fully understand the implications of the COVID-19 pandemic.  Do you?

Not buying Chinese goods is an impossible, knee jerk reaction.

If I could buy a similar product made in Australia, I would in a heart beat.  I can’t buy any household electrical items made in Australia.  And that is only one example.  Tell you what, when you stop buying Chinese, because that is where the pandemic started, post back on here what you actually bought.  Can’t be fairer than that.
So, you would like me to list EVERY Australian made item on here that we can buy?

Well i spose, we will have plenty of time to do it soon.Tell you what, have a look at the BOTTOM items on the racks next time you do your shopping and tell me what you see. :o . AND i didnt say every thing we buy to buy Aussie cause i realize Australia doesnt make every thing we buy here.That result is a result of our governments allowing manufacturing to go overseas and Unions pushing up rates to force companies to go offshore.
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

The following users thanked this post: #jonesy

CTL

« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2020, 07:13:35 PM »
So, you would like me to list EVERY Australian made item on here that we can buy?

Well i spose, we will have plenty of time to do it soon.Tell you what, have a look at the BOTTOM items on the racks next time you do your shopping and tell me what you see. :o . AND i didnt say every thing we buy to buy Aussie cause i realize Australia doesnt make every thing we buy here.That result is a result of our governments allowing manufacturing to go overseas and Unions pushing up rates to force companies to go offshore.

Oh, you are talking about food and groceries.  My apologies.  My first choice is always to buy Australian made food.  Have done it all my life as my family have all been primary producers.

3rd time lucky

« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2020, 07:17:27 PM »
CTL thanks for your slaying reply. You are forgiven. Let it go.
Nothing is gained by continuing to debate the merits of heroism.

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • Everyday Hero
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2020, 07:18:36 PM »
Oh, you are talking about food and groceries.  My apologies.  My first choice is always to buy Australian made food.  Have done it all my life as my family have all been primary producers.
This crisis we are going thru ATM is a perfect chance for Australia to start making stuff here again.Its a wake up call we all should take on board.
Buy the Aus brand stuff as a start. As i said, every journey begins with a step.
Buying Aus made buys our kids a job.
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • Everyday Hero
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2020, 07:21:16 PM »
China has us & many countries by the googlies.
Unless over night a manufacturing industries can start up, compete with cheap labour, no worker protection, we are in for another rodgering.
Are consumers, you and me, prepared to pay that cost? NO.
We all love our cheap goods at the cost of humanity that China forces on their own.
but please enlighten us on the answer :)
"China has us & many countries by the goolies"
Why, because we let them thats why.
There is your answer.
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

CTL

« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2020, 07:22:28 PM »
CTL thanks for your slaying reply. You are forgiven. Let it go.
Nothing is gained by continuing to debate the merits of heroism.

Debate is part of a healthy liberal democracy.

Stifling debate, like you are trying to do, is what a communist government imposes on their citizens.

Just because you don’t like my opinion, doesn’t mean I can’t express it.  Nor does it mean you can be nasty about it.  How about you let it go.  You butted into a conversation you were not a part of and your comments are not appreciated.

Offline Moxley

• Tent User
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2020, 07:23:27 PM »
This crisis we are going thru ATM is a perfect chance for Australia to start making stuff here again.Its a wake up call we all should take on board.
Buy the Aus brand stuff as a start. As i said, every journey begins with a step.
Buying Aus made buys our kids a job.
I think all products should also be marked with say a traffic light indicating the conditions of the workers and perhaps environmental harm too. Green for each being made with workers paid good wage with approp conditions, and environmentally sustainable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CTL

« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2020, 07:28:04 PM »
with workers paid good wage with approp conditions

Whilst I agree with the basic premise of your argument, is their wage and conditions based upon Australian standards or country of origin standards?

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2020, 07:31:05 PM »
On the topic of Made in Australia, apparently 85% of our food is already made in Australia. Plus there is a very big chance that your other major months expenses are going to Australian companies like the banks, health and other insurance.
I've not done the sums, but I wonder what percentage of what I actually buy has come from China?
The following users thanked this post: MarkGU

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2020, 07:37:24 PM »
Something to think about from the UK:

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/news/2020/03/coronavirus_-_people_urged_to_stay_away_from_the_hills-72247

Whilst Jon might have had good intentions starting this thread, the healthcare system away from the major cities is just as poor in Australia as it is in the UK - The Hunter New England health area for example covers an area of 131,785km^2, about 500km top to bottom (North of Armidale and you're closer to Brisbane than you are Sydney...)

The COVID 19 centres are Newcastle (John Hunter, Newcastle Mater), Belmont and Maitland, or over to Lismore or Dubbo... so a fair distance away and also based on the population of the HNE area, so an influx of people onto the regional hospitals is not going to help.

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • Everyday Hero
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2020, 07:44:33 PM »
On the topic of Made in Australia, apparently 85% of our food is already made in Australia. Plus there is a very big chance that your other major months expenses are going to Australian companies like the banks, health and other insurance.
I've not done the sums, but I wonder what percentage of what I actually buy has come from China?
Thats what im trying to say. If everyone bought more of the 85% Aus made stuff we would all be better off.
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

3rd time lucky

« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2020, 08:03:18 PM »
CTL , take a chill pill dude. Nobody hates on here.  All Mark was saying is perhaps we could all reconsider our purchasing and actually look at the made in section.
I have no grudge. Stay safe and be well.
Nigel  :cup:

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2020, 08:10:10 PM »
Be considerate with our responses folks. Before posting think about the value of what you say and does it add value to the thread.
Society is on edge at the moment and now more than ever is the time to think of our fellow citizens.
Be kind or be prepared for a bit of forced isolation.  :police:
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD
The following users thanked this post: tryagain

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2020, 08:32:51 PM »
Be considerate with our responses folks. Before posting think about the value of what you say and does it add value to the thread.
Society is on edge at the moment and now more than ever is the time to think of our fellow citizens.
Be kind or be prepared for a bit of forced isolation.  :police:

haha...we have forced isolation now!!  These are indeed stressful and dangerous times.  Just think about how your actions can effect others!  Hope we all self isolate and that life treats you kindly going forward..Stay safe!!

Witha lot more time on peoples hands I expect the forum to cop a flogging.. :cheers: :cheers:
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2020, 09:14:14 PM »
haha...we have forced isolation now!!  These are indeed stressful and dangerous times.  Just think about how your actions can effect others!  Hope we all self isolate and that life treats you kindly going forward..Stay safe!!

Witha lot more time on peoples hands I expect the forum to cop a flogging.. :cheers: :cheers:
My ‘forced isolation’ context is a holiday from the forum if required. While it is understandable that some folks are highly strung in the current situation it is not an excuse to flout the forum rules.

I have faith that on the other side of this mess we will be better citizens.
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2020, 07:02:25 AM »
Morrisson is calling for all non essential travel to stop.  This includes Easter holidays and interstate crossings.   Things will only get messier and the sooner people start to act responsibly and think of others instead of themselves the sooner we will return to normality.

"It is the case that that travel needs to be reduced to stop the spread of the virus across the country. Other states will be making other decisions about this issue and they will make further announcements today and I will leave them to make them."

SWMBO and myself are discussing this right now as to if our planned travel over Easter is essential or not. While it sounds pretty straight forward on what decisions should be made don't underestimate emotions that are involved. In our case all of our family is in QLD and that includes parents who fall into what appears to be the higher risk category age wise. We are actually a bit torn between concern for them and wanting to see them and help them out where we can to prepare for an extended period of issues vs potentially passing the virus on. We don't live in a high risk area (at present), have basically been staying away from crowded venues etc and don't have the virus. Doesn't by any means mean that we couldn't be exposed due to the fact that we are still working and living our lives so we are paying attention for symptoms, listening to all of the advice (locally and further afield).

All of the above could well a mute discussion if all states close their borders as they will define what is essential and the decision will be taken out of our hands. For some people this is a very black and white situation but for others it isn't

Stay safe

Rod

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2020, 07:16:49 AM »
This piece from the SMH aligns with what I've said:

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/stay-away-warning-for-small-towns-after-10-patients-evacuated-20200321-p54ch1.html

The evacuations are done by charities, not the state ambulance service.

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2020, 08:09:07 AM »
SWMBO and myself are discussing this right now as to if our planned travel over Easter is essential or not. While it sounds pretty straight forward on what decisions should be made don't underestimate emotions that are involved. In our case all of our family is in QLD and that includes parents who fall into what appears to be the higher risk category age wise. We are actually a bit torn between concern for them and wanting to see them and help them out where we can to prepare for an extended period of issues vs potentially passing the virus on. We don't live in a high risk area (at present), have basically been staying away from crowded venues etc and don't have the virus. Doesn't by any means mean that we couldn't be exposed due to the fact that we are still working and living our lives so we are paying attention for symptoms, listening to all of the advice (locally and further afield).

All of the above could well a mute discussion if all states close their borders as they will define what is essential and the decision will be taken out of our hands. For some people this is a very black and white situation but for others it isn't

Stay safe

Rod

Without sounding heartless but what you are proposing is a holiday. It is unnecessary in the current climate and know one knows where the virus can pop up at any time. . I know the people in the street that I live are staying away from all people including family members. Its hard on grandparents/parents kids...but it ensures they have a better chance of not getting the virus. You dont have the virus..so you were tested?  If people would only do the right thing then this mess we are in may well be finished sooner rather than later.  There are organisations that will help your parents if need be. Maybe organise home delivery of food. Ring everyday and reassure them if they are worried and also explain the importance of self isolation.  I,m in the same boat with kids in 3 different states...a phone call is a good pick me up though.  Job security is their biggest worry.  Whatever you decide...just stay safe and think of others.  :cheers:
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline wilson79

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2020, 08:38:06 AM »
Sad day, we officially cancelled our 8 week Kimberly adventure today. Whilst I am shattered that we have had to do this  it certainly is nothing like the thousands of Aussies that as of today will be without work and the many businesses who may never recover. My heart goes out to them all and I wish them all the best.
Now I just need to keep fingers crossed that my job does not suffer the same fate. :cheers:
Regards,

Wilson79

My camper, http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=39588.msg711354#msg711354
2014 Ecomate Traveller FF

My Tug, OCT 2016 VDJ200 VX Landcruiser
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=54907.msg955281#msg955281

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2020, 08:57:35 AM »
Some people need to be thankful they still have work. As a Sole Trader, my income has disappeared, as have many small businesses, with no holidays, no sick leave, No income. I might be lucky if I can access 10K of MY Super, have to ask my accountant, oh there is another cost. The idea behind throwing money at employees who have lost their jobs and those on welfare is to keep others in their job. If you still have an income by next weekend, count yourself lucky.

Hey Jon, (& I'm not being a smart-arse here!) maybe you need to be asking if you can go on NewStart ???

Been lot's of comments that people that get laid-off will be able to, so you might qualify as well ???

One thing that nobody has yet said though is what happens with participation requirements - is everybody that is already on NewStart, plus all the people going on to it "temporarily" ::), still going to have to apply for 10 jobs / week ???
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2020, 08:59:01 AM »
As I said, the operative word is “claim”.  Not automatic but subject to assessment.  Looking for confirmation from somebody who might know, rather than all of us taking wild guesses.

Just now, I don't think anybody "knows", least of all Centrelink ???

I wouldn't mind betting that the first they knew about this idea, was reading it on the news that night!
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday