Author Topic: Where should I be visiting to make the most of QLD's Mexican free winter!  (Read 8746 times)

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
Off topic, but I saw a YouTube clip about a farm at Werribee that is experimenting with a robot that kill weed, remove snail and target fertilise the crop.
Very impressive. Sydney University design the robot. I use to live that way, Point Cook.

There are a few research places in the area, but I hadn't heard about that project, though...

:cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
600km of Bruce Highway today with the grand total of ZERO caravans.....

Apart from a little bit of road works we sat on the speed limit the whole way.
Must have passed about 20 cop cars though, strangely only 2 speed cameras..... Guess they’re all getting the batteries charged up and the air conditioners regassed ready for this weekend. ;)

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
There are a few research places in the area, but I hadn't heard about that project, though...

:cheers:

It is two years old. Wonder how advance it is theses days.

https://youtu.be/XP7GoNKcTS4
Change is good, so smile and enjoy life!
Landcruiser 76 tourer

Offline AllanK

• Swag User
With the Qld border closed and no southern caravanners, I see apple and google maps may need to recalibrate (and reduce) the expected travel times in Qld between locations. 😝

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
Must have passed about 20 cop cars though, strangely only 2 speed cameras..... Guess they’re all getting the batteries charged up and the air conditioners regassed ready for this weekend. ;)

7am Sunday morning I went fishing near Bribie and I passed 3 speed cameras and one Motor bike with a speed gun. All that within a 45km stretch of Highway  ???

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
I did Woop Woop to Wynumn, to Redneck Bay, to Gatton and back to Woop Woop.

Never saw a cop along the entire route.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Well looks like you’ve all missed the boat.... :P

Passed about a dozen caravans and even more camper trailers heading north today.
Calliope and Boyne River free camps still had plenty of spots, but the GinGin free camp was about half full tonight.

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
I went out to Ravenshoe NQ this morning and already there were a few mexican motor homes and caravans there. ???

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
I thought you ripper I will get a permit and camp at Inskip PT for a month all gone only let out a few and gone, but once the school holidays start my wife and kids and I will pack up the pop up van and head north as far as we can get, and just poke around the tablelands and see a few things up that way north of Townsville, Craig

« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 07:11:21 AM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer
The following users thanked this post: PWE

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
already there were a few mexican motor homes and caravans there. ???

I'd guess they are all nomads who have been parked up somewhere for this last couple of months, but ar enow out on the road again ???
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
I'd guess they are all nomads who have been parked up somewhere for this last couple of months, but ar enow out on the road again ???
That is what it will be.

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
Prepare for the invasion.  They've been bunkered up in the trenches south of the border and waiting for the order to advance.  It will be twice as bad as normal.

Meanwhile I'll enjoy skiing as the numbers on the mountains will have to be restricted.  ;D
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
Prepare for the invasion.  They've been bunkered up in the trenches south of the border and waiting for the order to advance.  It will be twice as bad as normal.

Meanwhile I'll enjoy skiing as the numbers on the mountains will have to be restricted.  ;D

When they do open the borders to Queensland, its gunna look like the first corner at Bathurst on the opening lap.
Except in slow motion.  ;D

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
When they do open the borders to Queensland, its gunna look like the first corner at Bathurst on the opening lap.
Except in slow motion.  ;D

That would be Hell Corner...... ;D
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Email just in from QPWS;

Good morning

Queensland national parks, forests and recreation areas that were closed due to COVID-19 are reopening in line with the Queensland Government’s roadmap to easing restrictions and the Chief Health Officer approved Industry COVID Safe Plan - QPWS Campgrounds.

Camping and vehicle access has reopened and bookings can be made at https://qld.gov.au/camping for one month in advance of any planned visits.

Maximum camper numbers will be set for each campground to limit risks of congestion and to aid camper compliance with Queensland Health Roadmap requirements.

Visitors to Bribie Island and Cooloola Recreation Areas only

A Restricted Access Area has been declared within the Bribie Island and Cooloola Recreation Areas to manage the safety of visitors and the community during the COVID-19 pandemic. A person must not enter or remain in the restricted access area unless they hold both a written approval to enter the restricted access area and a valid vehicle access permit.

Declaring a Restricted Access Area is necessary to manage potential congestion and aid visitors in achieving adequate social distancing by limiting the number of people and vehicles that can enter the recreation areas each day.

You must secure a COVID-19 Restricted Access Area Authority to enter the Restricted Access Area before travelling even if you hold a valid vehicle access permit, to avoid disappointment of not being able to visit on your desired day.

There are two (2) ways you can access Bribie Island and Cooloola Recreation Areas while the Restricted Area Access declaration is in place. These must be acquired in the sequence as follows:

1. If you intend camping:

a. Firstly – You must have a valid camping permit (which includes a COVID-19 Restricted Access Area Authority) for the duration of your visit; and

b. Secondly - Acquire a current vehicle access permit, or you can use an existing one (which must cover the period of camping and can only be used for the dates of your camping permit).

Or

2. If you are a day visitor:

a. Firstly – You must acquire a COVID-19 Restricted Access Area Authority from  http://qpws.bookeasy.com; and

b. Secondly – Acquire a current vehicle access permit, or you can use an existing one (which can only be used only for the dates of your COVID-19 Restricted Access Area Authority).

Access without a current COVID-19 Restricted Access Area Authority is not permitted.

Compliance will be monitored and penalties including on the spot fines of $400 may apply for non-compliance.

We thank park users and the community for their support and cooperation during this time.

For more information visit Park Alerts https://qld.gov.au/parkalerts and follow Queensland Health before you travel to stay up to date with the latest COVID-19 advice. Please follow all directions provided by Rangers and familiarise yourself with any directional or regulatory signage when you arrive to ensure safety and observance of any site requirements.

Kind regards,

Online Booking Services team
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
With a Victorian fruit picker flying into Queensland and testing positive for Corona Virus, i can't see the borders opening any time soon for road travel.

Everyone has been pressuring the Premier to open them up, to her credit, she's taking a hard line.
I guess this is as good a reason as any not too.

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
So why did this fruit picker not self quarantine himself, or doe's it not apply to fruit pickers. ???

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
So why did this fruit picker not self quarantine himself, or doe's it not apply to fruit pickers. ???

Buggered if I know.... picker exemption...  ;D

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
Buggered if I know.... picker exemption...  ;D

I suspect the person may have been exempt because he was a QLD resident given the fact that he stayed with family after arriving in BNE and before heading north.
Also the farm industry will be considered a essential industry with the employer being required to have Covid-19 management plan  which would extend to the accomodation of workers ( similar to fly in fly out work).

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
With a Victorian fruit picker flying into Queensland and testing positive for Corona Virus, i can't see the borders opening any time soon for road travel.

Everyone has been pressuring the Premier to open them up, to her credit, she's taking a hard line.
I guess this is as good a reason as any not too.
I cant see this changing any time soon. It only takes a couple of infected to go be around - and with stupidity like letting sports have their crowds back, chances of us yo-yoing are growing by the day
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
I think that all southeners should stay in their own state and help out the business,s and fire affected regions that really need your help. Stay home and holiday and help the community and state get back on their feet./   Wouldn,t 3-5 thousand dollars normally spent on a Northern holiday be better spent in the state you live in?  Its only one season and the people in the fire regions are desperate for help.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
All of the tourist businesses here on the GC have been crying out for the borders to be reopened as "all" their business comes from southern states.

Then I read an article yesterday that the tourist businesses in NNSW are crying out for the borders to be reopened as "all" their business comes from Qld ???

So, like Bigfish said, wouldn't it make sense for people in NSW to visit NNSW, & people in SEQ to visit the GC ???
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
All of the tourist businesses here on the GC have been crying out for the borders to be reopened as "all" their business comes from southern states.

Then I read an article yesterday that the tourist businesses in NNSW are crying out for the borders to be reopened as "all" their business comes from Qld ???

So, like Bigfish said, wouldn't it make sense for people in NSW to visit NNSW, & people in SEQ to visit the GC ???

That should apply to schoolies as well.
Let the Qld kids enjoy the GC
Change is good, so smile and enjoy life!
Landcruiser 76 tourer

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
He’d have to be the world’s richest fruit picker.
There’d have to be over $1,000 worth of flights to go and pick some strawberries...???

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
He’d have to be the world’s richest fruit picker.
There’d have to be over $1,000 worth of flights to go and pick some strawberries...???

Not with the current state of the airline industry, they seem desperate to get bums on seats. Yesterday we booked flights to go home for Xmas. Flying Xmas eve, 3 people Brisbane to Cairns & return for $800  ;D It normally costs us around $1500 at that time of year.
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.