Author Topic: 'Leaking' Cub Brumby...  (Read 5430 times)

Offline Ranger_Scott

• Sleeping Bag User
'Leaking' Cub Brumby...
« on: January 02, 2018, 07:59:15 PM »
First time poster here... tearing my hair out with some leakage issues with my 2016 Cub Brumby camper. This time last year broke it in with a trip up the NSW north coast, there was a day where I had fairly constant rain for almost 24 hours, nothing too heavy, just contsant and steady. Didn't leak a drop! Had it fully set up with the awning out. Did season it a few times when I first picked it up.

Now, came back from the Centre in August this year and final night camped near Mildura. Once again it was fairly contsat rain for about 12 hours. Woke up in the morning with water on floor. was about 5 cups there. Couldn't find any wet patches from the roof of the camper to floor where water dripped down. As it was only overnight, never put up the awning. Had the camper opened this week to install a second battery, and it rained on the friday night. Once again in the morning some water on the floor, only about half a cup this time (rain wasn't that heavy). And still no visible signs of it leaking from the roof of the tent. No awning up this time either.

I'm thinking that it gets in through the zippers on the door, or where the door velcroes at the bottom along the camper floor. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? Makes sense in my mind as the only time it didn't leak was when the awning shielded the door.

Thanks in advance, Scott.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: 'Leaking' Cub Brumby...
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 08:14:43 PM »
You don't just cure the canvas in the 1st shower  , its an ongoing thing  . Set the cub up & put the hose on it every few days or so unless it rains  .The canvas will shrink to create its own size , just don't pack up wet  . No No No  or you will get mould .
                                       Enjoy               
                                                                 :cup:    :cheers:
My Supermatic Escape is still up to leal but it might not be from the roof  , check out the sides  .                   :cheers:
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 08:18:05 PM by speewa158 »
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Ranger_Scott

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 08:51:06 PM »
Did seasoned it a dozen times over a 3 month period when I got it. Had the sprinkler set up on top, then let it dry for a week, then started it all over again.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 08:52:34 PM »
Good start   :cup:                       :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline IanS

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 08:58:13 PM »
If the wet patch is near the door it may well be the zip, I've had it happen in my tent when I didn't have the storm flap down, even in light rain.

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 08:59:04 PM »
Could it be tracking in through a side hatch in the trailer body?

:cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Meggsie

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 09:59:29 PM »
Rub a candle on zips or spray with a water repellent canvas spray.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline marvellous_matt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 10:01:37 PM »
your thought process sounds reasonable, but its hard to work out until you witness it happening. Can you get someone outside with a hose and see if you can replicate the leak?

Offline Ranger_Scott

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 05:38:53 AM »
@IanS when I did notice it, the water had pooled in the spot of the floor.

@marvellous_matt, never actually thought of that with hose  :-[ but a good experiment!!  :cup: will try that this weekend, though predicted 40+ both days and stuck inside the camper with doors up, may need to stay hydrated  :cheers:

Offline paull

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 06:53:39 AM »
The one bad leak we had with our cub was through the seam at the top of the big window on the drivers side of trailer towards the back.
We had a tropical roof fitted and the natural run off point for the rain off the tropical roof had water landing on top of this window.
The top edge of the window had a strip of material stitched to the outside of the tent canvas. This was a few millimetres thick and created a little lip so the water running off the roof would land on top of this lip and slowly soak through. In sustained heavy rain it wold eventually soak all the way through, the run down the inside of the window edge flap, through the zip to the inside of the camper and pool all over the floor.
Not sure if your Brumby set up is similar but might be worth a look. I ran a bead of flexible sealant along the top of the lip above the window and that sorted it.
2020 Ford Ranger Wildtrak
2016 MR22BE Van

"I thought I could see the light at the end of the tunnel but it was only some bugger with a torch bringing me some more work."

Offline 03GV

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 04:00:57 PM »
I don't believe you! Its Australian canvas on an Australian made camper? Would never happen.
2010 DDIS Grand vitara
Lumberjack  Buckley  Campertrailer

Offline tracker

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If you can throw a ball...Be able to catch one !!!
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 04:08:49 PM »
Ohhh Gezzzz Louise.......
Toyota Prado....- ( Fantasy F3SL Hybrid  Van)

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 10:19:01 AM »
check the poles are not to tight

Ours leaked where the poles went against the canvas and i had them too tight which was opening up the stitching a little at the seam it would run along the pole then drip to the floor loosened it off a mm and all was good
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 10:51:50 AM »
What have Cub had to say about it?? for the price I'd expect help.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Ranger_Scott

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2018, 06:52:11 PM »
Narrowed it down, got a mate to hose down the zippers while I was inside, noticed after 5 minutes or so that the inside of the zippers were wet, let it dry overnight, then rubbed a candle along the zipper, hosed it down again, still dmap on inside, and worked out the fabric (?) between the zipper and canvas is the culprit. Will be getting some spray to waterproof them now. Thanks for the advice people.