Author Topic: '93 Penfolds Grange-Has My Responsibility For It Any Limits  (Read 5453 times)

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
'93 Penfolds Grange-Has My Responsibility For It Any Limits
« on: January 29, 2014, 11:38:36 AM »
My dear B-I-L/Good mate gave me this to look after as he does not have a wine cabinet & I have a very good one. He's not too sure what he wants to do with it as it was a gift to him. How long a time in my possession would be deemed fitting & proper before I crack it >:D
I suppose I should invite him over, hey?
Steffo

'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
Re: '93 Penfolds Grange-Has My Responsibility For It Any Limits
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 11:43:12 AM »
About 5 minutes would do it I reckon. What is your address? You should uncork it and let it breathe until I get there.
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 12:06:30 PM »
If it hasnt been stored properly all this time,you may as well go drink a bottle of vineger...
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 12:16:47 PM »
If it hasnt been stored properly all this time,you may as well go drink a bottle of vineger...

Correct. Look for seepage around the foil top, perhaps even remove it and see if the cork is discoloured.

Not the best vintage, but still showing a purchase price of $500 at Dan Murphy's.

Only ever owned one bottle of Grange brought at a charity auction. Kept it for four years and then drank it with good freinds when they visited. Yep, it was nice, but on reflection, could have sold it and  brought two dozen bottles of a good red to replace.

:cheers:

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline gunna

• Could End Up Anywhere
  • Hard Floor Camper User
  • Don't leave your run to late
    • A Few Pic's
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 12:24:50 PM »
My Bro had a bottle not sure wot vintage his son come home one nite with mates after a nite out lookin  for a nite cap the rest is history not a happy camper
So keep a good eye on it lol

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 12:26:23 PM »
When I was working for Southcorp Wines, there was a big sting on people selling resealed bottles on ebay that contained $2 leg opener.
Many disappointed buyers.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 12:28:03 PM »
Edz
It's been properly cellared in the past. It came out of some toffs cellar with whom the B-I-L did some business with (& obviously got shafted somehow, henceforth the "gift" ;D)
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 12:29:24 PM »
It's wine. Leave it for your BIL, and get yourself a slab, or a good Whiskey or Bourbon  ;)
Bob and Robyn

Offline Footy Shorts Shane

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 12:48:06 PM »
I have had a bottle (not Grange, Penfolds something ??? ) for almost 13 years. #1 Daughter has to wait another 8 more before she finds out about it on her 21st. Bought the day she was born and engraved Happy 21st with her name and birthdate.

Hardest part is not touching the bottle of JD that's been there for almost 15 years.   >:D  #1 Son doesn't know about it, doesn't need to either I reckon.   ;)

Shane.
With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

Offline Hefty

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 01:45:56 PM »
I've never tried Grange myself and would love to just to say I have. I know enough about wine to know what I like but not much more.
However, my BIL in Tyson Stelzer who is becoming a very well-known Australian wine writer who comes from a teaching and science background. I don't mean that to sound like name dropping (even though I know it does) but more of a qualifier for something I learned from him recently:
If you use the most expensive grapes, from the most expensive regions and produce wine using the most expensive processes and bottle it in the most expensive bottles currently available; cost price=$22/bottle. (that is probably Australian industry only, I forgot to clarify with him) Whether it is any good or not will still remain to be seen so anything over that is name (and I guess that comes from consistency of taste/quality).

I've heard some people say that wines like Grange and Hill of Grace etc are nothing to write home about while others rave about them.

I say crack it and find out!  >:D but make sure you let it breathe for a while before you drink it!!!

Cheers!
Jono.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 01:48:22 PM by Hefty »
"Roads?!...Where we're going we don't need roads!"

Marschy

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 01:54:12 PM »
When I was working for Southcorp Wines, there was a big sting on people selling resealed bottles on ebay that contained $2 leg opener.
Many disappointed buyers.
Probably people taking advantage of the fact that Grange can be resealed if it has been through the wine clinic. Wine maker opens the bottle, has to be more than 15 years old, samples it, tops it up with current vintage Grange, recorks the bottle and puts a label on it to state that it has been through the clinic. The bottle is supposedly more valuable than ones that haven't been through the clinic. The label put on the bottle by the wine maker would be very simple to forge.
I have one bottle of '87 Grange that I purchased through the lottery when I worked for Southcorop IT at Penfolds Magil Estate. It's staying where it is, a nice dark cool place. Wish I had the '86 though, worth twice as much.

Marschy

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 01:58:07 PM »
I've never tried Grange myself and would love to just to say I have. I know enough about wine to know what I like but not much more.
However, my BIL in Tyson Stelzer who is becoming a very well-known Australian wine writer who comes from a teaching and science background. I don't mean that to sound like name dropping (even though I know it does) but more of a qualifier for something I learned from him recently:
If you use the most expensive grapes, from the most expensive regions and produce wine using the most expensive processes and bottle it in the most expensive bottles currently available; cost price=$22/bottle. (that is probably Australian industry only, I forgot to clarify with him) Whether it is any good or not will still remain to be seen so anything over that is name (and I guess that comes from consistency of taste/quality).

I've heard some people say that wines like Grange and Hill of Grace etc are nothing to write home about while others rave about them.

I say crack it and find out!  >:D but make sure you let it breathe for a while before you drink it!!!

Cheers!
Jono.
Bulk wine production cost for Grange when I worked there about 10 years ago was $20/bottle, they sold for around $200. They were paying up to $10,000/tonne for grapes from some of the suppliers in the Barossa at the time. They only used Magil Estate Shiraz when the quality was exceptional which only only occurred once when I worked there in 4 years.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 02:41:20 PM »
Hardest part is not touching the bottle of JD that's been there for almost 15 years.   >:D  #1 Son doesn't know about it, doesn't need to either I reckon.   ;)

My understanding is as JD is distilled it doesn't age anymore in the bottle as it aged in the barrel.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline ScottT

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Random acts of kindness without expectations
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 02:44:02 PM »
My understanding is as JD is distilled it doesn't age anymore in the bottle as it aged in the barrel.

Agreed
2005 Toyota Prado 1KZ 120 Series
2008 Customline 12ft Deluxe Off Road

Offline Footy Shorts Shane

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 02:55:26 PM »

Correct.

But that hasn't changed the fact that I still wanna drink it.  ;D

Shane.
With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

Offline rodsswag

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Always dreamed it, now living it!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 04:36:41 PM »

That is right.
So open it up and stick it in a barrel.
Nothing like a nice whisky/scotch that has been sitting for a long time in the keg.

:cheers:

Rod..........
Swag
Coramal Caravan

Offline broncos11

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 06:00:46 PM »
My dear B-I-L/Good mate gave me this to look after as he does not have a wine cabinet & I have a very good one. He's not too sure what he wants to do with it as it was a gift to him. How long a time in my possession would be deemed fitting & proper before I crack it >:D
I suppose I should invite him over, hey?
Steffo

Bloody hell. I can't believe I've got such a toff for a blood relative!!!!!!
Drink beer you pussy!
2003 IFS V8 100 series

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 06:41:11 PM »
i got a few bottles of it stored in the shed - didn't think it was worth any thing as a trucky sold a dozen  to me for $3 / bottle cracked one the other night and drank it out the bottle on the way to the pub just a an appertiser - beer was better but the plonk wasn't too bad
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 06:49:36 PM »
Either way it wouldnt get time to age in the bottle at my joint :cheers:

;D BD
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline Prado120

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 07:09:42 AM »
i got a few bottles of it stored in the shed - didn't think it was worth any thing as a trucky sold a dozen  to me for $3 / bottle cracked one the other night and drank it out the bottle on the way to the pub just a an appertiser - beer was better but the plonk wasn't too bad
I will buy the rest off you for $5 a bottle if you like  >:D
Prado 120, lifted, snorkel, bullbar, UHF and 2 kid's seats! Originally an 2007 MDC camper now modified beyond recognition!

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2014, 05:33:38 AM »
I had a 1955 bottle os Grange given to me and sold it to a wine merchant for $1200. Wasn't a good year. I still have two or three bottles of recent years (10) just sitting in my pantry. Might have to movi it somewhere from this extreme weather.
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2014, 12:56:59 PM »
I had a 1955 bottle os Grange given to me and sold it to a wine merchant for $1200. Wasn't a good year. I still have two or three bottles of recent years (10) just sitting in my pantry. Might have to movi it somewhere from this extreme weather.
I will gladly provide wine agistment  ;D
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top