Author Topic: Xtrail Cover - buckles rusting  (Read 2946 times)

Offline pauld

• Swag User
Xtrail Cover - buckles rusting
« on: August 30, 2012, 01:05:29 PM »
I bought a tent cover from XTrail http://www.xtrailcampers.com/ last year to fit on my non Xtrail camper as the old one was too tight & pain to work with.
The buckles have rusted terribly despite spending 6 of the last 12 months in a garage, the other 6 under a cover & no trips to the coast.
I have contacted XTrail but they have little interest and imply that I am the only one with the problem & won't offer any recourse.
I figured if it is happening to me it must also have happened to those that have bought their XTrail campers in the last 12 months & if spending thousands on a whole camper you wouldn't be happy about this:
Anyone had the same experience?
2009 Desert Edge Oasis Deluxe, Towed behind 2006 NP Pajero Diesel

Offline jwb

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Xtrail Cover - buckles rusting
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 01:47:59 PM »
I had some start to go that way in 6 months which I wasn't impressed about >:(
and even less impressed with the comment I got from the guy there. ( who has since left)
Mine are not that bad, I would cut them off and replace with an alloy type I/ when mine get that way

cheers
Cheers

Jwb

Offline pauld

• Swag User
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 02:27:56 PM »
Yep, it's poor product support. I just exchanged another set of emails with them. They suggested I go to Bunnings and look for something to use instead! There are 30 of these on the cover, 20 have to be replaced, I can live with the ones on the end of the strap that go on the hook rusting but the ones used as a buckle are damaging the straps due to the rough surface. To replace I have to cut them off and then pay someone to re-stitch the straps to put new ones on unless I can perhaps use a key ring style that I can 'turn on'. I found some s/s key ring style on Ebay in China but I don't think they are going to be big enough. Might have to just order them and try them.
I might hit them up with a Fair Trading case yet on the basis that they are not fit for purpose - after all they are on a weather cover for a tent, they should be able to resist weather! I don't expect them to be perfect but they are becoming unusable in 12 months, a piece of steel with 1 coat of paint would resist weather better than these

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 02:31:27 PM »
If you are going to change the whole lot and stitching is involved I would change them to plastic clip buckles. They are fitted to my cover and work great. Lot easier than the set up you have.
Good luck on the warranty issue

GG

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 02:59:52 PM »
Quote from: pauld
I have contacted XTrail but they have little interest and imply that I am the only one with the problem & won't offer any recourse.
sounds a familiar story with other manufacturers....
You'd think for $2.00 of d rings they would send them express postage. :(

I'd remove them and as said, fit stainless or alloy metal bits, you can get them almost anywhere.
Makes you concerned about how long the rest of it will last  :(
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 03:08:50 PM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline pauld

• Swag User
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 03:04:47 PM »
I am having trouble finding split s/s D rings in Aust.... any suggestions? I am after split so that I can thread them in without having undo & then stitch the straps. I guess I could cut some to create split.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 03:06:29 PM »
I am having trouble finding split s/s D rings in Aust.... any suggestions? I am after split so that I can thread them in without having undo & then stitch the straps. I guess I could cut some to create split.
marine shops...
https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=152&item=71571&intAbsolutePage=1

or Shit loads on ebay
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 06:35:15 PM »
Pauld, I have seen somewhere that you can buy the Stainless Steel double Ds om a short length of webbing (might have been a US site) then remove your original strap and fix the double D strap at the bottom.  Then cut one of the D rings off of the top webbing with bolt cutters and you can lash up the other way, still works OK.  I will have a look an see if I can find the seller.

Trevor
Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 06:59:02 PM »
This is the ones I was thinking of, they come in all sizes and colours.  The website is  http://www.strapworks.com/Double_D_Ring_Strap_p/dds34h.htm

Its in the US but you will find the delivery is only a couple of weeks.

Trevor
Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

Offline pauld

• Swag User
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 07:47:56 PM »
good supplier, thanks for that will check it out

Tassie devils

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 09:09:59 PM »
I bought a tent cover from XTrail http://www.xtrailcampers.com/ last year to fit on my non Xtrail camper as the old one was too tight & pain to work with.
The buckles have rusted terribly despite spending 6 of the last 12 months in a garage, the other 6 under a cover & no trips to the coast.
I figured if it is happening to me it must also have happened to those that have bought their XTrail campers in the last 12 months & if spending thousands on a whole camper you wouldn't be happy about this:
Anyone had the same experience?
Hi Paul we purchased our XTRAIL 18 months ago it is always garaged but I did notice the other day the buckles had started to rust but not as bad as yours.i have not contacted them but have always found Sam very easy to deal with in the past