Author Topic: Interesting read on electric cars  (Read 146677 times)

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Interesting read on electric cars
« Reply #925 on: December 04, 2023, 11:56:31 AM »
We are thinking of replacing our aging hybrid with an EV very soon.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #926 on: December 04, 2023, 07:34:41 PM »
We are thinking of replacing our aging hybrid with an EV very soon.
Well I could see why when the average wait for a new car is 69 days while for a Toyota it's 158 days (but not a hybrid in that time obviously)-
https://pricemycar.com.au/delivery-dates

As for the shining light EU rollout of BEVs they could now have 2 years worth of plug-in car sales before the public chargers planned for them today would be up and running-
https://www.msn.com/en-au/motoring/news/analysis-eu-s-electric-dreams-short-circuited-by-ev-charging-gridlock/ar-AA1kXaMU

There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #927 on: December 15, 2023, 10:20:22 PM »
Well here's the breakthrough EV fans have been looking for according to the Electric Viking-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1UiEDjwExQ

There's no doubt if those claims are met Zeekr will leave the likes of Tesla and BYD in their wake with their incendiary battery technology as there's no way modern industrial societies would accept Grenfell Towers episodes with increasing EV penetration. On top of that 15minute charging is fairly tolerable. Still you rarely get it all in engineering without some other tradeoffs so the question is what's the battery tech cost. Then there's the cost of 500kW plus charging stations and how quickly and how many can be rolled out when we're already struggling with peak power demand.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline DandyD

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #928 on: December 16, 2023, 08:31:11 PM »
I thought Tesla was already using LFP batteries.

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #929 on: December 16, 2023, 08:37:21 PM »
And I was under the impression Byd was using blade batteries that were almost unable to explode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline elver

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #930 on: December 17, 2023, 12:17:25 PM »
I thought Tesla was already using LFP batteries.
Depends on the factory and model.  Most y’s and 3’s from Beijing are fitted with LFP. But the long range versions and all US made are not.  So it depends on what you order.

Personally, the lfp chemistry benefits far exceeds the range benefits of the Long range models.   

For me the set and forget value of filling the car to full at any time is worth so much more as I live in country nsw and often do >400 km trips out into the places where there are no chargers what so ever. (Short notice, work trips). So my car is always hooked up to charge to full using the Charge Hq app that mooches spare solar whenever it’s available.

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #931 on: December 17, 2023, 02:57:09 PM »
;)

You don't use magic to disappear, ya use a 4x4 & Swag.

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline KevL

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #932 on: December 17, 2023, 04:17:56 PM »
https://www.drive.com.au/caradvice/how-many-electric-cars-have-caught-fire-australia/

When you take away the hysteria and ideology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The following users thanked this post: Fizzie, spectre

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #933 on: December 19, 2023, 10:55:05 AM »
When you take away the hysteria and ideology.
We don't do that here Kev-  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOA7qKMcjcE
and yes LiFePO4 battery tech is a lot safer as they're working out-  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2J0BVxt-rg
Safer as they can tolerate a lot more abuse with fast charging and temperature but they still contain a lot of energy in a confined structural space and you don't want a lot of them together when that inevitably happens-
https://au.pcmag.com/cars-auto/101435/these-batteries-could-drive-ev-adoption-why-are-carmakers-so-tight-lipped

Offline elver

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #934 on: December 19, 2023, 12:56:25 PM »
Look, electric propulsion is just a different power source. It’s got some flammable stuff. It’s also got some really efficient and great advances compared to legacy car design.

Petrol cars also have some pretty flammable bits.  I know two people who’ve suffered catastrophic burns in vehicle fires. It’s really Shit. A petrol fire is not something I want in my car.

Compared to my petrol car, both are at risk of going bang when I stuff up and crash them or theirs a fault. Both propulsion systems carry a metric Shit ton of energy in a small space hurtling along at 110kmh 50 cm away from cars going the other way.  It’s a recipe for disaster if you think about it. Treat them as intended ( no open flames or sparky electrics for the petrol car for instance) and all is well.  Stuff up and bad things happen to both!

If people drop the political wank and snide comments, both options work well - 90% of the time electricity propelled cars work for my work and pleasure trips and I’m a regionally based geologist that goes to all sorts of places for my work all the time.   400km round trips in a day with significant dirt road sections are standard for me. It takes some planning, but works well.

I’ve found my electric cars are cheaper to run, go really well, and their designers have innovated parts of them better than petrol propelled cars as they are thinking differently at present.  Typically after a day driving in the EV, I’m less tired than compared to my diesel car.  Largely because it’s good new tech that helps me.

I still own a diesel car. I still drive a petrol lawnmower, but if the road is suitable I choose the electric car most times.  Because fundamentally it’s a bloody nice car to drive and the running cost is sweet FA cause I fuel it with solar that I paid for ages ago.   

Some days I need the 4wd. But I think before I go out about which car to take, because they are a tool for my job.  Like any job you need to pick the right tool for your needs.   

Blanket grandiose statements (either way) are just signs of limited thinking which is well, not thinking!

The important thing is try both. Have an open mind. No one’s forcing you to drive an ev.  Diesel and petrol is still going to be round for a very very long time.  No matter what the scare mongers are saying our governments are so disorganised the mythical ban on ice cars is not something they’re actually going to agree on any time soon.  The shock jocks just love thinking it’s a problem. They’re dreaming.

Right now though, driving electric is cheaper - it’s kind of like comparing lamb to beef. Both are meat, both taste great and fill my kids bellies, but ones half price compared to the other. 
Right now I’m eating a lot of lamb!
The following users thanked this post: Spada, Fizzie

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #935 on: December 19, 2023, 04:25:24 PM »
Booked in a test drive this Friday for an EV, can't wait to be blown away by it.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #936 on: December 20, 2023, 12:00:21 AM »
Have an open mind. No one’s forcing you to drive an ev.

I've got an open mind and an EV like the BYD Dolphin or even Atto3 would suit as a second metro car alongside the diesel fourby for towing. I've even test driven an Atto3 but the missus Kia Stonic kills it for running cost with cents/km. Not that I have to worry about that but the vast majority do and yet Govts who believe they can change the weather reckon they know best and want to see 100% of these dangerous incendiaries everywhere? Two dead RoRo car carriers should tell any oxymoron about the threat of massed EVs in future unless the industry solves the lithium battery problem right here and now rather than leaving it up to insurance underwriters after the event. Maybe Zeekr have and best of luck to them but current lithium battery tech is clearly warning us of Grenfell Towers futures.

What's more Govts are actively passing laws to see massed EVs everywhere as well as subsidising the well to do into them and subsidising their refuelling stations. Really? Now I've got a house driveway carport and shed to stick one and solar panels to charge it cheap but I'm increasingly aware some don't even have a roof over their head and our taxes are subsidising the well off here? User chooses and user pays and ICE owners are already paying 53.7c/L excise incl GST on petrol and diesel in that regard.
The following users thanked this post: Black174

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #937 on: December 20, 2023, 07:25:10 AM »

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #938 on: December 20, 2023, 01:24:41 PM »
This is what would worry me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr3mFzh0KSk&t=5s

Have you checked the cost for a new engine?
I know it's not $60k but still a lot of money.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline elver

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #940 on: December 20, 2023, 02:43:00 PM »
I got a quote to replace the battery in my
Leaf the other day. $18k for a bigger (25% bigger) Better battery.

Not cheap, but not the scaremongering figures quoted above.

Turns out the fault I had was not the drive battery but in the wee 12v battery that manages idle power jobs. So it was a $200 fix instead.

I certainly don’t want to have to do it
A main battery replacement but it’s well less than the replacement cost of the car as new and even less than the cost of buying the same car second hand with more km on it ex Japan.

Also, there is the option of replacing just parts of a battery pack. This is way cheaper again. As repairers learn new skills they are working out how to do this stuff and telling the overly restrictive car manufacturers to shove their conservative and in house only repair ideas.  Norther Europe and their right to repair laws are making big inroads into changing the abilities of the off brand repair people.

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #941 on: December 20, 2023, 03:25:00 PM »
or
https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/scottish-couple-facing-33k-repair-bill-after-driving-tesla-in-heavy-rain

A friend of mine drove his Subaru WRX with cold air intake during eavy rain andwater came in and destroyed his engine.
Same thing.

It seems to me that this is very similar to those people who were against the car and kept riding their horses.
The following users thanked this post: spectre

Offline elver

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #942 on: December 20, 2023, 03:38:41 PM »
A friend of mine drove his Subaru WRX with cold air intake during eavy rain andwater came in and destroyed his engine.
Same thing.

It seems to me that this is very similar to those people who were against the car and kept riding their horses.
Spot on.

Note it’s still totally legal to ride a horse on the road.

I’d guess that in future it will remain legal to drive an ICE car on the road too. Not that the freedom fighting shock jocks will ever acknowledge this.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #943 on: December 24, 2023, 10:47:40 AM »
Well they're definitely not for 4WDing- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr3mFzh0KSk
and unless the industry solves the lithium battery incendiary problem and faces it head on and stops making excuses current EV tech faces a massive fallacy of composition safety problem- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFJoEPPkxiA

Nothing to see here move along as it was only one cell among 1050 folks! Yeah riiiight just a RoRo car carrier full of EVs and flooding the deck with CO2 like an ICE fire won't cut it. All aboard the Spirit of Tasmania with heaps of them of various ages maintenance bangs underneath and states of repair and charge? Come on don't be shy.
Insurance underwriters will be the nasty Gestapo for all the Seargeant Schultzes in this amusing fantasy play.

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #944 on: December 24, 2023, 07:45:38 PM »
Same thing.

Yep, agree problems happen with any car.
I have a Landcruiser 300 series GX so fitted with the factory snorkel looking attachment. If I drive in rain at around 80 - 100km for an hour or so, i will end up with water in the airbox and a wet filter element. Toyota still are trying to develop a fix but in the meantime have supplied me with a couple of replacement air filter elements.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #945 on: December 29, 2023, 12:08:15 AM »
My Mitsi Challenger has a 2 tonne kerb weight and with it's useage it has a chassis but you also notice a big contributor to its weight is a very gutsy suspension system to manage it all. Seems newbie Tesla overlooked that with their heavy batteries but the critical oversight was suspension strength particularly with the torque electric drives can muster-
https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/tesla-musk-steering-suspension/
It's always the cover up that hits them hardest and it's coming at the wrong time with early adopter market dropoff and Cybertruck over promising.
Meanwhile the hybrid experts Toyota have hit record production and profitability trying to shorten their customer queues.

PS: and it never rains but what it pours eh Elon?
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/glovis-caravel-huge-blow-to-aussie-tesla-buyers-as-ship-carrying-several-months-worth-of-cars-is-kicked-out-of-australia-due-to-mystery-biohazard/ar-AA1m8m0c
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 12:15:12 AM by prodigyrf »

Offline Brij

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #946 on: December 29, 2023, 06:28:42 AM »
My Mitsi Challenger has a 2 tonne kerb weight and with it's useage it has a chassis but you also notice a big contributor to its weight is a very gutsy suspension system to manage it all. Seems newbie Tesla overlooked that with their heavy batteries but the critical oversight was suspension strength particularly with the torque electric drives can muster-
https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/tesla-musk-steering-suspension/
It's always the cover up that hits them hardest and it's coming at the wrong time with early adopter market dropoff and Cybertruck over promising.
Meanwhile the hybrid experts Toyota have hit record production and profitability trying to shorten their customer queues.

PS: and it never rains but what it pours eh Elon?
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/glovis-caravel-huge-blow-to-aussie-tesla-buyers-as-ship-carrying-several-months-worth-of-cars-is-kicked-out-of-australia-due-to-mystery-biohazard/ar-AA1m8m0c

This article about the ship appears to be old news, dating back to a shipment in 2022?
NX Pajero
NJ Pajero (semi retired  to firewood harvesting duties)
Home made camper

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #947 on: December 30, 2023, 08:56:30 PM »
This article about the ship appears to be old news, dating back to a shipment in 2022?

Tell that to professional journalism then- https://www.drive.com.au/news/ship-carrying-teslas-to-australia-turned-back/

Small beer in the big scheme of things with no mass EV future if the industry can't produce extinguishable batteries. That's number one but here's number two in the Holy Land of EV rollout- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqVPbJ-V4eg
The women I know won't have a bar of that and there's half the car market gone walkabout.

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #948 on: January 02, 2024, 12:33:08 PM »

Tell that to professional journalism then- https://www.drive.com.au/news/ship-carrying-teslas-to-australia-turned-back/

Nothing to do with the EV, all to do with the cleaning requirements.

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #949 on: January 02, 2024, 12:37:42 PM »
Well they're definitely not for 4WDing- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr3mFzh0KSk

So isn't a Yaris, Falcon or Commodore.