Author Topic: Interesting read on electric cars  (Read 146737 times)

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Interesting read on electric cars
« Reply #900 on: October 25, 2023, 10:36:17 AM »
With up to 2 year waits for their hybrids and EVs beginning to bank up in showrooms Toyota San is hanging tough to the dismay of Greenies but as pointed out-

Toyota says that it takes the same amount of battery material to make one full battery electric vehicle as it does to make 90 hybrids or six plug-in hybrids, suggesting that EV adaptation at a global scale is currently not realistic.

Particularly so as renewables grid firming competes for scarce light weight lithium battery resources when it could be using alternative flow batteries.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/motoring/news/toyota-is-sticking-by-petrol-and-diesel-in-an-increasingly-electric-world/ar-AA1iN22w
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #901 on: October 25, 2023, 07:07:38 PM »
I was visiting Surfers Paradise a week or so ago flying up from Sydney. Rode the electric bus from Coolangatta to Broadbeach. The driver was nuts. Driving this thing like a go cart screaming down the median strip lane then diving across to the bus stop. Drag racing other cars off the lights. These things move. Coming back to the airport from the light rail terminus on another electric bus and this driver pulled out into the fast lane heading up the hill out of Burleigh overtaking cars. These electric buses have some torque.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #902 on: October 27, 2023, 08:31:41 AM »
Electric motors excel at torque and why Teslas appeal to revheads as well as the virtue signallers. Why Musk kicked off with the ModelS to tap the top end of the performance market and get to where they are as dominant with EVs as Toyota are with hybrids. While Tesla shareholders can grin now the larger problem for EVs is the danger of their lithium batteries in large numbers. Whereas Toyota can easily switch back to NiMh battery tech for hybrids as their weight is not so critical.

In any case lithium battery EVs can never satisfy the mass market due to their cost and you can easily see that with driveaway pricing of the Chinese MG ZS ICE vs the MG ZSEV version. Financing the difference at 8% car loans for most or even 6% upping the home mortgage blows away any EV fuel savings. That's before any consideration of higher EV depreciation we're seeing now with more mature EV supply and demand. The climate changers' fantasy of electric transport running on unreliables simply aint gunna happen.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #904 on: November 09, 2023, 04:48:59 PM »
Hmm,

"Brisbane fast-charging company Tritium will close its Brisbane factory in an effort to save cash and to try and save its business"
https://fb.watch/oceq6K3evE/?mibextid=CDWPTG

You don't use magic to disappear, ya use a 4x4 & Swag.

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Black174

• Swag User
« Reply #905 on: November 10, 2023, 06:43:29 PM »
So, it begins in earnest >:D
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/australian-ferry-operators-put-on-alert-for-electric-car-fires/ar-AA1j3Zlv

Took the Tesla over to Tassie this last weekend and no mention of any of this.
Drove on and park like anyone else.

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #906 on: November 10, 2023, 08:30:38 PM »
Hi,

Hmmmm...

8<-------

Hi xxx

Thank you for your enquiry in regards to the carriage of electric/hybrid vehicles on Spirit of Tasmania.

The safety of all passengers and crew is a top priority for Spirit of Tasmania. Spirit of Tasmania is fully compliant with all Marine Orders as regulated by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority.

Spirit of Tasmania has set procedures regarding the carriage of Electric/hybrid vehicles on board. These vehicles are identified at check-in and stowed on specific decks that mitigate potential risk associated to lithium batteries. 

Please be assured, our crew undergo extensive training and conduct frequent drills ensuring they are fully equipped and prepared for the unlikely event of a fire or any other emergency on board.

Thank you again for your enquiry. Your patronage and continuing goodwill are very important to us. We look forward welcoming you back on board Spirit of Tasmania.

We trust this assists.

Kind regards

Win

Sales Support

T: +61 3 6419 9328
F: +61 3 6421 7395
E: salessupport@spiritoftasmania.com.au
W: spiritoftasmania.com.au

Spirit of Tasmania
Esplanade (PO Box 168E)
East Devonport TAS 7310

Connect with us:

[https://mobile-webview]Member of the Green Marine environmental certification program

Please consider the environment before printing this email.

This email may contain confidential information. If you have received this email in error, please inform us of the mistake by return email and delete it immediately. Also, please note that opinions expressed in this email are those of the author and are not necessarily those of Spirit of Tasmania/TT-Line Company Pty Ltd.

Sent: Thursday, 3 August 2023 4:00 PM
To: Sales Support <salessupport@spiritoftasmania.com.au>
Subject: Travelling with Dangerous Goods

Name *

D

Contact number *

Email *

State/Territory *

TAS

Enquiry type *

Travelling with Dangerous Goods

Your message *

Hi, any restrictions on electric vehicles. The recent fire on the Dutch RORO vessel was a bit scary.
Cheers

8<---------

Cheers

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline Black174

• Swag User
« Reply #907 on: November 11, 2023, 09:09:01 AM »
500km range is plenty for my Tesla 3 performance.
So car parks in Melbourne CBD have free chargers, so I manage my range so that I drive to the city on the day I need to charge my car.
Early bird ticket for the day is $17/day where my charge at a supercharger will be around $20.
Very convenient for me.

Yes everyone will have different circumstances, but it works perfectly for me.

I still prefer my LC76 over my Tesla, Tesla is my city car.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #908 on: November 12, 2023, 06:15:37 PM »
Around 10 years ago Asia widely using butane for home cooking had a severe exploding gas can problem until Daeryuk Can Co solved the problem-
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVwOrk1vl5Y
Question: What is the lithium battery EV industry doing about its similar and growing problem with threat to life limb and property?

Offline Black174

• Swag User
« Reply #909 on: November 12, 2023, 08:41:07 PM »
I believe the lithium battery industry for EV vehicles will do the same as the tobacco industry, look the other way and count their money.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #910 on: November 14, 2023, 10:13:37 PM »
The whole net-zero Green energy push is collapsing globally as Marc Morano points out-
https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/11/13/watch-morano-on-rebel-news-the-green-energy-scam-is-starting-to-collapse-this-is-an-ideology-like-the-soviet-union/
To some extent we dodged a bullet in Oz getting out of car manufacturing altogether and rather fortuitously while we're making record income from fossil fuel exports (coal and gas). We can buy Shanghai Teslas BYDs or MGs etc until their pips squeak and keep slashing those uneconomic prices as long as they like. However fuelling them with the Green dream of solar and wind locally is where we can't avoid the collapse Morano is talking about with all that transmissioning and offshore wind etc.

Hell with the construction industry shortages and skyrocketting costs collapsing the construction industry we can't even build enough affordable housing let alone Chris Bowen's net-zero fantasy. How's SnowyII coming along cost wise Minister because the 10,000kms of transmissioning and offshore wind turbines aren't going to fare any better when the much chastened and wiser remaining suppliers put in their tenders.

Offline Black174

• Swag User
« Reply #911 on: November 18, 2023, 12:49:32 PM »
The Greens and Labour Left have always been dreamers - Chris Bowen did not even knew the minimum wages when he was Treasurer.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #912 on: November 20, 2023, 09:57:00 PM »
But here's the clincher. How's this for EV depreciation in an established market like the UK bearing in mind the MOT concessions and free pass to special designated areas they get- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K1Er_KVw1M

Same deal here now as a 2019 Tesla Model3 owner is now asking $39k after listing it for $49k back on June 8 and easily murdering $30k from new-
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2019-tesla-model-3-standard-range-plus-auto/SSE-AD-15251968/?Cr=0
Ordinary folks buying on finance can't afford that sort of hit when already the higher finance cost of an EV over an ICE negates any fuel cost savings. Don't get sucked into the Gummint lure of cheaper novated leasing or you'll be sorry come residual time like plenty of those Tesla leasers on Carsales are finding now.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #913 on: November 22, 2023, 08:31:37 AM »
I drove an electric car from Sydney to Melbourne. This is what I learned about using EVs in a country as large and unforgiving as Australia - and what you need to know before buying one

- I drove Hyundai's Ioniq 5 from Sydney to Melbourne
-  In total, I spent $210 and three-and-a-half hours 'powering up'
- The same journey costs me $140 in petrol - a $70 fuel stop each way

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-12769167/Hyundai-Ioniq-5-road-trip-Melbourne-Sydney-expensive-slow.html
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: NZMarkb

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
The following users thanked this post: NZMarkb

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #915 on: November 23, 2023, 09:09:45 AM »
I drove an electric car from Sydney to Melbourne. This is what I learned about using EVs in a country as large and unforgiving as Australia - and what you need to know before buying one

No worries Bird just like congestion charging at the servo Elon has them covered  :-*
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/other/tesla-s-plan-to-extract-more-cash-from-supercharger-users/ar-AA1kk2TM

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #916 on: November 23, 2023, 09:24:36 AM »
Quote from: prodigyrf
No worries Bird just like congestion charging at the servo Elon has them covered  :-*
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/other/tesla-s-plan-to-extract-more-cash-from-supercharger-users/ar-AA1kk2TM

The funny thing... theres a few ... "new australians" here at work that thought charging would be free... they got a nasty surprise.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bad Scott

• You dump, Scott and I pump
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • AKA "Bad Scott"
« Reply #917 on: November 23, 2023, 10:36:29 AM »
The funny thing... theres a few ... "new australians" here at work that thought charging would be free... they got a nasty surprise.
Screw a GPO to a tree and say it's green power  >:D
Ultimate LC79 Combo

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #918 on: November 23, 2023, 10:38:12 AM »
Screw a GPO to a tree and say it's green power  >:D
trickle charge... just wait it will get there eventually
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #919 on: November 23, 2023, 03:01:11 PM »
When will BEVs manage to outsell plain hybrids in Oz is the question-
https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/hybrids-not-electric-cars-are-the-next-big-thing-according-to-toyota-australia-91473
And with mainly Tesla making an earn out of BEVs Toyota with their long order books aren't in any hurry to compete and lose dough.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #920 on: November 24, 2023, 10:29:23 PM »
Well that's it for lithium battery EV owners as you and your cars become lepers-
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/medical-staff-told-not-to-charge-electric-cars-due-to-fire-risk/ar-AA1ksbP8
No wonder China is working hard on safer sodium based batteries but the tradeoff is heavier lesser energy battery packs.

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #921 on: November 25, 2023, 05:35:48 PM »
Educate me please,
We have an energy crisis, yet power companies are having record profits posted, this includes electricity and oil companies.
I maybe a dinosaur, however I'm not believing this 'we have to go green sh1t'
There are more diesel powered shipping linersthen ever, there are more planes in to air then before, but we are told we have to cut our use of petrol/diesel powered vehicles to save the planet.
Yet our homes have more & more electrical devices.
We played Australia.

You don't use magic to disappear, ya use a 4x4 & Swag.
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #922 on: November 30, 2023, 01:14:22 AM »
I prefer to simply put fuel in the tank rather than replace the tank and the vehicle when it runs out of fuel but that's just me-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGQXYL_eHHs

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #924 on: December 03, 2023, 01:03:14 PM »
You have to hand it to Musk as he's right up there with the great entrepreneurs of history that made a motzah out of the technical genius of Nikola Tesla 'The Man who Invented the Twentieth Century' (a great read) and died crazy poor-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQx3_aCWQsU