Author Topic: The CUB CLUB  (Read 260502 times)

Offline The Bockies

• Swag User
Re: The CUB CLUB
« Reply #500 on: June 08, 2015, 07:35:45 AM »
Zedd, regarding the Velcro strips used to attach the spreader bars to the canvas walls, HATE the bloody things. And I've had my camper since 2000. Recently removed all the canvas for maintenance here and there, took down the piping and restored to original shape. YES, they do go out of shape, especially when strong winds hit unexpectedly.
I took this opportunity to throw away the crappy Velcro fastening idea, used a circlip to fix triangular shaped bolts,(similar to the ones used on extendable poles to tighten the inside pipe) Punched a small hole through the Velcro canvas which the triangle shaped bolt now protrudes thru, squeezed the Annex spreader bar together a little, until it slides over the triangular bolt and everythings find and dandy, no slippage, no strain on the canvas, no loss of shape of the canvas wall and most importantly, does not fall down when the wind builds up.

Itchvet,

Wondering if you couuld, by any chance show post a photo of what you have done with the velcro poles. My husband, like you, hates the bloody things and if we could find a solution to this it would solve the only real issue we have with the camper. We are about to head north and it would be great if we could solve this problem.

Cheers!
The Bockies

Offline sablesoft

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Green Cub Supamatic Escape Off Road
« Reply #501 on: June 08, 2015, 03:39:35 PM »
G'day all
Sorry to post such a dumb question.... But I'd feel a lot dumber if I was out on the track and didn't know the answer...
I've got a brumby (independent suspension) and can't work out where the scissor jack would be placed if I wanted to change a tyre!
Any advice would be appreciated :)
Cheers Robbo

Hi Robbo
I have a Cub Escape off Road with 16 inch wheels and has independent suspension,
I use a hydraulic jack under where the axle is on the swinging arm, I have a couple of blocks of wood to sit the jack to to get enough height (Standard wheels are 15 inch, I have 16 inch wheels)

HTH Ray
Green Cub Escape Off Road
The following users thanked this post: Robbbo

Offline lilstookie

• Traveling Lab Rats
  • Soft Floor Camper User
    • http://facebook.com/thewanderingjocks
« Reply #502 on: June 09, 2015, 12:07:08 PM »
Hi all,

Pretty excited to let you know we've paid the deposit on a Spacevan with bunks we'll be picking up in December! A long wait, but we have to work out the season and we'll need some living money for the months after we pick it up as we live on the road :)

Stookie will be itching to get in and mod like mad too, so no doubt we'll have more questions ;)

Lil :)
If the spelling and grammar are good, it's a post from Lil. If not, the mad Scot is on the keyboard ;)

Add us on facebook and keep up to date with our big lap .
www.facebook.com/TheWanderingJocks or follow our blog

Offline Wukkers

• Tent User
« Reply #503 on: June 09, 2015, 02:34:32 PM »
I have a 2008 Spacematic Drover.  Have had ongoing problems with the zip and now we can't get it closed as it rounds the corner.  The zip just splits open even when there is little of no pressure on it.  I have noticed the newer models no longer have the bend.  Does anyone have an idea on how I could modify mine to eliminate the bend or something else to solve the problem.  Thanks.

Offline 4runnernomore

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #504 on: June 09, 2015, 02:58:33 PM »
I push the canvas up above the zip to assist.

It is a pain to get it to zip properly. I am alway concerned the zip is going to break. From memory I have on wonky tooth in the middle of the top curve.

Presume that's why CUB finally changed the design.  ??? to many disgruntled customers having to pay for a zip replacement which is a canvas off job.

All I can suggest is try lifting your roof at different points around the door until you get the spot that allows you to zip the door without too much effort.

Cheers Chris :cheers:
The following users thanked this post: Wukkers

Offline outbackogre

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #505 on: June 09, 2015, 04:28:56 PM »
Further to Chris' good suggestion about lifting the roof above the curve door to make the door zip around the corner a bit easier, you could also try carefully nipping up the rear of the zip closer with a pair of pliers.  I did this to the Supamatic I used to have when it was only 18 months old and it did help.  Be careful not to make it too tight. 

I now have a 2013 Spacevan with the straight vertical zips, and if the camper canvas is not set correctly it can be tight to close.  I know some people get frustrated with the canvas (and zips) on Cubs but I think it's all about setting them correctly (with camper floor and hard floor in a slight V shape rather than dead level) and resetting them occasionally - ie. with the door zip closed, release all roof bows, then push out the rear bow first (over hard floor), then centre bow, then forward bow (over bed).
My friends call me Rob.  You can call me ... Rob!
NW auto diesel Pajero towing a Jayco Starcraft Outback.

Offline Wukkers

• Tent User
« Reply #506 on: June 09, 2015, 04:54:12 PM »
Thanks guys.  The zip is probably beyond repair now.  I had some problems with it when we first got the CT and likely the previous owner also.  I was thinking of getting the whole section that contains the zip replaced and have straight zips fitted.  Could I buy that canvas part or would it need to be made specifically for my CT?

Offline Herks

• Tent User
  • Not lost, just geographically displaced!!
« Reply #507 on: June 09, 2015, 05:57:53 PM »
Don't know about other canvas repair places but I know CUB are able to convert curved door zips to 2 or 3 straight verticals as required.

Ta

John
Dmax Duel Cab LSU. Canopy, duel batteries, GVM Upgrade, Light Bar, Draw system, Fridge slide and much more. Avan Aspire Pop Top van, Many mods, 12v, 240v.

Offline speedhump

• Tent User
  • Going places ... others dream!
« Reply #508 on: June 09, 2015, 07:15:04 PM »

Wuckers,
I too had problems with the bloody zip on my Spacematic Regal. I got it repaired here in Tassie with the straight zips & they were able to source the same Cub canvas so I am sure someone can do it for you. It just made all the difference.
Speedhump
Speedhump
2013 triton 4WD dual cab
2016 New Age Wallaby Caravan
4.55m Makocraft runabout & Quintrex 350 cartopper
Our Blog: chezzastravels.wordpress.com

Offline Wukkers

• Tent User
« Reply #509 on: June 09, 2015, 07:55:04 PM »
Terrific, thanks.  Don't want to be rude, but was it a major cost?
Wukkers

Offline speedhump

• Tent User
« Reply #510 on: June 09, 2015, 08:56:05 PM »

No worries,
It cost me just over $600 but this also included a replacement winch belt (got rid of the pissy little one inch stuff). I also had a pole bag made & Velcro patches resewn & had them use cub canvas.
Speedhump
Speedhump
2013 triton 4WD dual cab

Offline speedhump

• Tent User
« Reply #511 on: June 09, 2015, 08:59:13 PM »

Wuckers,
I had the new Y2 zips( I think that is what they are)  installed & it made camping so much better for my wife.
Speedhump
Speedhump
2013 triton 4WD dual cab

Offline roughing it

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #512 on: June 14, 2015, 07:28:56 PM »
Just picked up my spacematic drover today. So easy to tow. It's our first camper trailer so pretty happy with it.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

Offline Terry W4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Retired - loving every minute of it
« Reply #513 on: August 21, 2015, 04:48:37 PM »
Had a major service done on my camper last year. New bearings, new disk pads and brake cabling and a grease of the brake and suspension. Since then I have done about 16,000 kms towing it including 14,500 on a half loop. Very happy with the way it performed along the Oodnadatta Track and elsewhere off road.

Only one problem encountered was I lost a bolt out of the right had brake calliper which caused a wheel lock up just outside Cobber Pedy.  Fixed locally for $0 under NRMA premium membership in about 2 hours.

Have booked it in for a service next week before going on a revisit to the Flinders Ranges-Marree. Bearings will be checked, brake and suspension greased and the calliper brake bolt replaced with the real part rather than the makeshift one used.

Terry - Canberra ACT
2008 Prado 120 D4D and 2009 Swan Outback
Blog Travels with Terry: https://terrywalls.wordpress.com

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #514 on: August 21, 2015, 06:18:04 PM »
Replaced our CUB bit over a year ago with that thing below...really REALLY miss my CUB   :'(

I would spend more time camping with the CUB in any given 3mth period, than I've spent all up in this thing!
Bob and Robyn

Offline DIY OFFROAD

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #515 on: September 19, 2015, 04:26:56 PM »
Hey Cub owners, we have been looking at hard floor campers for a while now. We are keen on the Kamparoo Cubs but wonder where people pack their clothes. The obvious place seems to be under the bed, but how do you pack it? Do you have to open it up to access it before you go? Other campers seem to have access to the under bed area when closed?? Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Terry W4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Retired - loving every minute of it
« Reply #516 on: September 19, 2015, 04:32:44 PM »
Hey Cub owners, we have been looking at hard floor campers for a while now. We are keen on the Kamparoo Cubs but wonder where people pack their clothes. The obvious place seems to be under the bed, but how do you pack it? Do you have to open it up to access it before you go? Other campers seem to have access to the under bed area when closed?? Am I missing something?

No not missing anything. Yes you have to open it up to access under the bed. Ours is divided into three (by the previous owner) - store foodstuffs in 3 sealable containers and wine and beer in one. Camp over and other stuff in the middle and linen and some clothes in the third. Rest of clothes are kept in cases in the back of the Prado.
Terry - Canberra ACT
2008 Prado 120 D4D and 2009 Swan Outback
Blog Travels with Terry: https://terrywalls.wordpress.com

Offline DIY OFFROAD

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #517 on: September 19, 2015, 04:44:31 PM »
Thanks Terry, I thought so. Unfortunately that's a show stopper for us, we don't have the room to open it at home. Shame, the rest of it looks great!

Offline outbackogre

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #518 on: September 19, 2015, 09:13:34 PM »
One thing you can do with the larger Cubs (not Kamparoos or Brumbies) is load bags (containing clothes and bedding) in through the rear hatch with the camper folded up and then stow that gear under the bed when you open up at your destination.  We do this with our Spacevan and could also do it with our old Supamatic.  Food can be loaded in the slide out pantry in these models.   

Offline spaceman

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #519 on: October 30, 2015, 10:24:57 AM »
we have just bought a spacevan and traveled up as far as Exmouth and back to NSW. I am interested to see what others have done in the way of mods.

Offline Madcat

• If you own a 4WD... Get it Dirty!
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Too much work, not enough days off!
« Reply #520 on: November 02, 2015, 09:50:24 AM »
Hello Cub Owners.

I currently do not own a CUB but am leaning towards a Spacematic Drover when funds become available. But I have a couple of questions.

1/. If I buy a second hand unit (with internal fridge), has anyone taken out the internal fridge and if so what kind of mess is left behind once removed, will some cabinet work be required, floor patched, new piece of vinyl?
But if the fridge was to remain, is there access to it while the camper is folded closed, the reason I ask is that we live near a fruit fly road block and the inspectors like to check your fridges out for any fruit or veg that is not allowed into their fruit fly free zone and it would be a hassle to have to open the tent up, like I have seen on several occasions to other campers for an inspection to take place.

2/. Why is there very few Spacematic Drovers For Sale second hand, are they not very popular or are people so happy with them they are never put up for resale?

Kind Regards
Sam
80 Series Landcruiser and Bush Hopper Off Road Camper

Offline Wukkers

• Tent User
« Reply #521 on: November 02, 2015, 11:15:53 AM »
Hi Sam,

I have a Spacematic Drover.  I have not removed the internal fridge so can't answer a lot of what you asked.  However, you can access the fridge when the camper is closed.  It is not easy but you can get to open the door and access the contents.  We had our fridge checked at the WA border.

The number of these campers that come up for sale is most likely related to the number of them that are sold new.  They are/were CUBs most expensive model and are bigger than most models.

Offline outbackogre

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #522 on: November 02, 2015, 11:19:25 AM »
Hi Sam, I can't answer your questions about fridge removal because I've only ever had the basic Escape models that come with no fridge (I prefer to have a compressor fridge mounted in my vehicle).  On smaller Cubs (Camperoo, Brumby) there's no rear hatch , but on the larger Cubs (Supamatic, Spacematic and Spacevan) there is a rear hatch that allows access to the fridge, although it might be necessary to push your canvas out of the way to open it.  Cheers.
The following users thanked this post: Shine

Offline Madcat

• If you own a 4WD... Get it Dirty!
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Too much work, not enough days off!
« Reply #523 on: November 02, 2015, 01:30:19 PM »

The number of these campers that come up for sale is most likely related to the number of them that are sold new.  They are/were CUBs most expensive model and are bigger than most models.

I like the idea of the big floor area, with 3 kids, the oldest 2 now generally sleep outside in swags, but the extra floor space would be handy to squeeze their swags in for quick overnight stop overs and in rough weather.

Wukkers how much room is under the bed? Is there plenty of area for folding table and chairs?

Outbackogre I agree with you on fridge, we have always just relied on a fridge in our vehicle, its good for day tripping as all your food is with you and you don't have to remember to take food out of the camper (fridge) for your lunch etc away from camp.
80 Series Landcruiser and Bush Hopper Off Road Camper

Offline Wukkers

• Tent User
« Reply #524 on: November 02, 2015, 02:09:43 PM »
Madcat, there's a fair amount of room but is divided into compartments with the barriers full height.  We put our folding table and chairs on the bed.  Camper still closes comfortably  with them there.
You could probably sleep two kids on the floor with the table still up, there's a lot of room there.  Taking the fridge out won't give you any sleeping room as it is on the same level as the bed.

Wukkers