Author Topic: Police checking for Mods, Sth East QLD  (Read 51555 times)

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Police checking for Mods, Sth East QLD
« Reply #275 on: October 26, 2018, 09:21:03 AM »
owners who had made safe and responsible modifications to their vehicles, but where unfortunate enough to get caught up in the police last ditch cash grab on the eave of the change in regulations.

I don't know how "responsible" either not knowing the regulations or deliberately contravening is.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Police checking for Mods, Sth East QLD
« Reply #276 on: October 26, 2018, 08:41:44 PM »
The 4 x 4 article lists 81 fines in 3 days.  Not sure how much the fine is but if it is $300 that is over $24,300. Sounds a lot until you split it between the 35 police. It wouldnt go half way to paying their wages!  Not a great "cash grab"
That was only for the original 3 day training course.

After the training was complete the following blitzes carried out all over the state would have netted a very neat little profit. Burpengary, Glasshouse, Nambour and others are mentioned just in this one thread, it would be safe to say that trend continued all the way north.

The timing of this operation was no accident.
The modifications being specifically targeted were only days away from being made legal.
In my cynical opinion the whole point of this exercise was to fine em while they could, get in on the 11th hour before the laws changed.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 08:48:30 PM by Pete79 »

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #277 on: October 29, 2018, 10:01:27 PM »
Can I offer that they carried out the enforcement action, at the behest of a politician(s).
So that it improved the image of the politician(s).
Who will now take credit for easing the situation, to the same rules as the rest of the country.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #278 on: October 30, 2018, 08:58:19 AM »
Sadly there’s no peace of mind for those Queensland vehicle owners who had made save and responsible modifications to their vehicles, but where unfortunate enough to get caught up in the police last ditch cash grab on the eave of the change in regulations.

Today it’s safe and legal, yesterday it was safe but targeted for a bit of extra revenue.
How is it a police cash grab? That confuses me as you know police don't see a cent.
Bought a what?
Researching my next camper

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #279 on: October 30, 2018, 10:00:09 AM »
How is it a police cash grab? That confuses me as you know police don't see a cent.

Police are just the pollie's minion...…….
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #280 on: October 30, 2018, 10:19:17 AM »
Police are just the pollie's minion...…….
Lol right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bought a what?
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #281 on: October 30, 2018, 02:50:07 PM »

Its not just this that confuses you either.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #282 on: October 30, 2018, 03:59:29 PM »
Its not just this that confuses you either.
Sure thing champ

Bought a what?

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #283 on: October 31, 2018, 08:56:44 AM »
Lol right

Soooo, you're telling me that all speeding fines, mobile phone use fines, no seatbelt fines (I'm sure you get the picture) etc are for the police coffers and that these fine increases are regularly increased at the police's will...…………..OK...………....…….. ::) ::) ::)
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #284 on: October 31, 2018, 09:26:52 AM »
Soooo, you're telling me that all speeding fines, mobile phone use fines, no seatbelt fines (I'm sure you get the picture) etc are for the police coffers and that these fine increases are regularly increased at the police's will...…………..OK...………....…….. ::) ::) ::)

Yeah..........right.  I know where it goes, and That aint it either.
Sorry Pete.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 05:10:45 PM by Cruiser 105Tvan »
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #285 on: October 31, 2018, 11:22:20 AM »
I believe it goes to consolidated revenue. Fines generally rise 2.5% each year and have done for as long as I can remember. So the old ‘police cash grab’ comment doesn’t make sense, no officer gets a pay rise or a cut of the fines, the police still have the same budget no matter how many fines are issued.

Bought a what?

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #286 on: October 31, 2018, 12:18:29 PM »
I believe it goes to consolidated revenue. Fines generally rise 2.5% each year and have done for as long as I can remember. So the old ‘police cash grab’ comment doesn’t make sense, no officer gets a pay rise or a cut of the fines, the police still have the same budget no matter how many fines are issued.

Governments already have it factored into their yearly budget.   
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #287 on: October 31, 2018, 01:20:36 PM »
This wasn't a cash grab, too much effort for too little reward. The QLD Labor gov is about to embark on one though, projecting a 47% increase in speeding fine revenue to 237mil/yr over the next 4 years by installing more cameras and an increase in mobile speed camera hours!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 01:27:10 PM by tryagain »

KingBilly

« Reply #288 on: October 31, 2018, 01:20:52 PM »
Governments already have it factored into their yearly budget.

Yep, all state governments would be broke without speed camera fines.  Read that Victoria is the most repliant on revenue from fines

KB

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #289 on: October 31, 2018, 05:54:12 PM »
This wasn't a cash grab, too much effort for too little reward. The QLD Labor gov is about to embark on one though, projecting a 47% increase in speeding fine revenue to 237mil/yr over the next 4 years by installing more cameras and an increase in mobile speed camera hours!
they may as well, because thier Police presence on the roads here is woefully inadequate, so it's not like they make any coin from fines that way or put the thought in people's minds to slow down at all.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #290 on: October 31, 2018, 06:44:35 PM »
Might need a few more Remy Gilliards https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm9XNyERe6Q   ;D
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #291 on: November 01, 2018, 05:30:37 AM »
Wow what a lot of money $237,000,000.
Qld population 4.7 mil
$50 per person!!!!

Road trauma costs the Australian economy $27,000,000,000 per year or $1,000 per person.
Yep. Super profitable

Of course they factor fine revenue in to the economy.  Not become they are greedy.  Same as the factor some overheads like prisons. Doesn't mean they plan to lock us all up.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #292 on: November 02, 2018, 09:32:18 AM »
Wow what a lot of money $237,000,000.
Qld population 4.7 mil
$50 per person!!!!

Road trauma costs the Australian economy $27,000,000,000 per year or $1,000 per person.
Yep. Super profitable

Of course they factor fine revenue in to the economy.  Not become they are greedy.  Same as the factor some overheads like prisons. Doesn't mean they plan to lock us all up.

Whatever way you try and spin it it's a cash grab, A successful road safety campaign to get people to actually slow down and reduce the trauma costs would result in fewer people speeding and a reduction in revenue. They obviously think people are just going to keep on speeding, hence their ability to keep on handing out an ever increasing amount of fines.

QPU president Ian Leavers said the “sneaky” devices did not reduce the state’s road toll or stop people from speeding.

“Getting a ticket in the mail up to a month after speeding when you can barely remember even where you were back then, has no effect and is quite rightly cynically viewed as revenue raising,” he said on Sunday.

“Only a highly visible policing presence and highly marked police speed camera vans with large police decals all over them staffed by police are the way to address the road toll.”

Leavers said the use of covert cameras had damaged the reputation of police officers across Queensland.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #293 on: November 02, 2018, 10:15:58 AM »
Quote from: Rumpig
They may as well, because thier Police presence on the roads here is woefully inadequate, so it's not like they make any coin from fines that way or put the thought in people's minds to slow down at all.
its like every long weekend... they keep SAYING there will be record numbers of cops on the road - they  just dont mention record LOW numbers of cops... Its actually rare weekdays to see a cop car driving around.
First thing people do when they see a cop car is check their speedo... As said - people slowing down doesn't make money.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #294 on: November 02, 2018, 10:54:21 AM »
Another train of thought would be to up the speed limits  [ Reverse psycology ] like in the NT .. Your allowed to go faster but most actualy wont .. you will always get the few that will still go nuts / but they would have anyway .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #295 on: November 02, 2018, 11:26:57 AM »
Another train of thought would be to up the speed limits  [ Reverse psycology ] like in the NT .. Your allowed to go faster but most actualy wont .. you will always get the few that will still go nuts / but they would have anyway .
sitting on 95kph (was very hot and vehicles temp gauge would rise if I did 100kph) a few years back heading from Mataranka to Darwin, I was only overtaken by 2 vehicles in over 300klms of road....one was a mine company 4wd (he wasn’t paying for the fuel) and the second guy was in a sporty Ford Mustang (i’d have been doing 130kph in it also)....the cost of fuel stops many (especially those towing) from doing over 100kph for extended long runs.

Offline Me

• Tent User
« Reply #296 on: November 04, 2018, 04:01:31 PM »
I'm having a lazy Sunday arvo, and stumbled on this thread.

The police don't need to be mechanics, or engineers, because that not what they're there for. They're there to police laws.

It's not rocket science to observe an oversized lift, or tyres that don't comply. It's stands out like the proverbial.

By all means do the "look at me, look at me" mods if that's your thing, but man up & stop whinging about getting defected & stop blaming the police for doing their job when you do.

You took the risk & you got caught. Own it!

The following users thanked this post: discoteddy

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #297 on: November 04, 2018, 04:56:07 PM »
sitting on 95kph (was very hot and vehicles temp gauge would rise if I did 100kph) a few years back heading from Mataranka to Darwin, I was only overtaken by 2 vehicles in over 300klms of road....one was a mine company 4wd (he wasn’t paying for the fuel) and the second guy was in a sporty Ford Mustang (i’d have been doing 130kph in it also)....the cost of fuel stops many (especially those towing) from doing over 100kph for extended long runs.

When I drove the highway I always sat on 130kph. Work Toyota, my troopy or motorbikes.  I found I concentrated a hell of a lot more than when I did on 100kph. Even when cruising on my motorbike it was 130kph.  Often had to overtake slower vehicles but once again your awareness is a great deal more than sitting on a mind numbing 100kph.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #298 on: November 04, 2018, 07:18:49 PM »
When I drove the highway I always sat on 130kph. Work Toyota, my troopy or motorbikes.  I found I concentrated a hell of a lot more than when I did on 100kph. Even when cruising on my motorbike it was 130kph.  Often had to overtake slower vehicles but once again your awareness is a great deal more than sitting on a mind numbing 100kph.
was sitting on 130kph with the camper in tow on a trip this year, can't say I found it that big a deal concentration wise on those roads in the middle of nowhere....obvious main differance was how quickly you come up on slower moving vehicles, but with the big open expanses out there you usually just shot past many of them and kept going on your way. Yeah you did need to be prepared to brake for oncoming vehicles or slow up a touch behind people on less open sections of road,  but it's no different to normal overtaking in 100kph zones if you are watching the road ahead. Sitting on 100kph I just set the cruise control and have the tunes cranking, it's only a state of mind thing as far as being mind numbing or not IMO..
The following users thanked this post: tryagain

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #299 on: November 04, 2018, 09:08:09 PM »
... Sitting on 100kph I just set the cruise control and have the tunes cranking, it's only a state of mind thing as far as being mind numbing or not IMO..

X2. Ive done the Nullarbor a few times and don’t find it mind numbing at all. Sure, there are times it would be nice to put the foot down and cover some quick kms but doesn’t bother me one bit.
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC