Author Topic: Cattle in the high country - 'dog whistleing' only fools dogs...  (Read 20487 times)

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
Re: Cattle in the high country - 'dog whistleing' only fools dogs...
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2011, 05:58:56 PM »
http://sale.yourguide.com.au/news/local/news/environment/cattle-back-grazing-in-the-high-country/2047444.aspx

Cattle back grazing in the High Country
14 Jan, 2011 09:36 AM

IN a coup for mountain cattlemen, the State Government has allowed cattle to re-enter pockets of Victoria's Alpine National Parks, after being locked out of the High Country for more than five years.
Announced on Wednesday, the re-introduction of cattle is part of the State Government's trial of strategic grazing in a bid to reduce fuel loads in the High Country.

The news was welcomed by the Mountain Cattlemens Association of Victoria, with president and Licola resident Mark Coleman calling the move a victory for common sense.

"This is a government decision based on common sense and will seek solutions to long term good management of our public land,'' Mr Coleman said.

"In 2005, the Labor Government kicked us out of the Parks for short term political gain.

"This new government is to be congratulated for having the courage to revisit that very bad decision and to accept in principle what the MCAV had been saying about grazing and fuel reduction for more than 50 years.

"Members of the MCAV stand ready to assist this exciting project and to pass on their knowledge as to how the High Country should be managed and cared for.''

The trial, commissioned by the Department of Sustainability and Environment, has returned 400 cattle to the High Country this week into to six sites over 25,600 hectares, or 3.9 per cent of the Alpine National Park, for the remainder of the 2010-2011 grazing season, which runs until April 30.

According to Environment and Climate Change Minister Ryan Smith, the trial, undertaken by Professor Mark Adams of the Bushfire Co-operative Research Centre, was hoped to provide evidence on the efficiency of strategic cattle grazing for fuel and fire management purposes.

"The Coalition Government is committed to making transparent and informed decisions on bushfire management in Victoria's High Country based on credible scientific evidence,'' Mr Smith said.

"Current information on the effect of cattle grazing for bushfire mitigation is limited.

Also,

http://www.mcav.com.au/Environmental%20Benefits%20of%20High%20Country%20Grazing.pdf

The other side of the fence, so to speak

alanjan,

You cite an article from a local paper and a document with no author, attributions or citations.  Neither can be considered scientific evidence.

The first is little more than the regurgitation of a partisan press release, not an unusual practice for local papers everywhere.

The second, while included on the MCAoV website under the heading of 'Scientific studies', is neither.  Although I do not dispute that the views it expresses are genuinely held by the author, whoever he / she may be, it is neither a study nor is it scientific.

At the foot of the link I have previously posted http://www.cowpaddock.com/references.html is a document titled Independent assessment of the science.  This makes reference to a number of documents provided by the Mountain Cattlemen's Association, which I was unable to find on the MCA web site.  The 'Independent assessment of the sciance' provides considered assessments as to why weight should or should not be given to the various documents on 'both sides' of the debate and forms a reasoned conclusion based on the evidence.
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2011, 06:10:47 PM »
I, unlike yourself haven't made any outrageous claims

You were blaming 'my' bushwalking 'buddies'. 

Where is your evidence that it was walkers, rather than hunters / bike riders / car tourers who were the problem, if indeed human waste was the problem? 

In the absence of documentation from 40 years ago I will try and find something on the life cycle of nematodes in humans.  I don't believe that anyone is disputing that they are nasty and you wouldn't want to get a dose of them, which was the point of my initial post.

Still trying to work out the reason for your aggressiveness.  Why exactly are you so anti-bushwalker?  As Darren said, some of us enjoy more than one activity.
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2011, 06:14:40 PM »
The whistle blows, and that's it.

A terrific game, both sides played hard, but once again, just like most soccer games, there was no result  :-[

Let's move on. There is not enough merit in the respective arguments to sustain more debate.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline barneys

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • vegetarian old indian word meaning bad hunter
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2011, 06:15:06 PM »
is there anywhere i can leave my cow

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2011, 06:27:12 PM »
The whistle blows, and that's it.

A terrific game, both sides played hard, but once again, just like most soccer games, there was no result  :-[

Let's move on. There is not enough merit in the respective arguments to sustain more debate.

Blow the whistle Jules, long and hard, because I don't think anyone is benefiting from this so called debate, least of all the Myswag Forum.

Offline DANBRI

• "Canvas Undies Never Die"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.campingaustralia.org
« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2011, 06:30:42 PM »
Agree, it's so exploroz.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2011, 06:37:38 PM »
No worries Gents,

Just trying to establish fact from myth, but it always pays to be cautious.
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2011, 06:41:44 PM »
Clearly, this is not a commercial site however it provides a good description of the effect of infestation and also how they are endemic in the soil.  http://www.vaxa.com/roundworms.cfm
Presumably at Mac Springs, if present, they would travel from the soil into the water supply via seepage / overland flow of water.

I note the following sentence from the info on the link:  Once the eggs are ingested in the body, the roundworm larvae travels through the liver, lungs, and other organs. In most cases, these "wandering worms" cause no symptoms or apparent damage.

So, my memory does not totally fail me.  

While it probably doesn't satisfy sschmez or alanjan, it at least describes circumstances generally consistent with what I posted with respect to:
1/.  Being a-symptomatic at the time of drinking the water (as distinct from faecies infestation);
2/.  resulting from a localised infestation of the parasites;
3/.  Causing severe long term problems for humans who suffer an infestation.
Clearly this is significantly different to a generic 'human waste' problem, if one exists at Mac Springs.

Some video links here, including one (admittedly from Fox News) titled: A woman mis-diagnosed with a brain tumor in fact had worms in her brain.  
I have not watched it as yet, but would seem to indicate that such things are possible.

In the end, drink at Mac Springs as you wish ...

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2011, 08:02:30 PM »
Extra time............................change sides!!

I haven't seen any slide tackles or punches thrown yet.

For what it is worth Barry, regardless of the evidence presented, I think your pi$$ing into the wind with this one.

;D ;D ;D
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD