Author Topic: School me on rear folds  (Read 1531 times)

Offline jfella

• Tent User
School me on rear folds
« on: October 05, 2020, 10:27:46 AM »
Swagers

Had a Jayco Outback Dove for best part of 10yrs but with 2 boys now 11 & 9, the rear bed is getting too small.  Was thinking about going up to an Expanda but worried it might start to limit where we can go and may not feel like camping.  I am now thinking a rear fold might be the go, kids can sleep on the floor for quick trips but would look to add a kids room for longer trips. Have looked at soft floors but I like the storage set up better on the rear folds.  Front folds look ok but again the storage looks a bit harder to access and can’t add a kids room with out setting up annexe.

What are the key things to look for with rear folds? I know some brands will be favoured by some but do any have certain features to look for (saw a Modcon that said no poles to adjust for the main tent)? Does the ground have to be super level for the rear floor or can they be adjusted?

I like the ones in the KK style with large organised storage up front (not that sensitive to tow ball rate as have a 4WD ute to tow with).

Cheers,
Jay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: School me on rear folds
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 10:47:57 AM »
We have the KK Sports RV which has a smaller front storage box what suits us.
Very easy to set up, done in 5 minutes excluding the awning.
On longer trips where we have overnighters our kids are sleeping on the floor.
When we stay longer they have there own tent and swag.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 11:45:44 AM »

I like the ones in the KK style with large organised storage up front (not that sensitive to tow ball rate as have a 4WD ute to tow with).

Cheers,
Jay

Some people might have a differing view on that. I have seen a few bent utes that were towing campers with heavy ball weights. One I was there at the time.

Good luck with the search.   

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 02:51:03 PM »
Jay,
Why not ask the kids? They might be happier in their own tent(s). Ours were. Maybe a second awning on the other side of the van to shelter the tent(s) in crook weather?
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 03:50:43 PM »
We are on our second rear fold. I chose this last one over the forward folds also. Our family of 4 has done a lot of touring in it. No, they don’t need to be on super level ground at all. I have the MDC Cape York which is now 4 years old. Still very happy with it after some solid touring.

Offline jfella

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 04:56:34 PM »
Jay,
Why not ask the kids? They might be happier in their own tent(s). Ours were. Maybe a second awning on the other side of the van to shelter the tent(s) in crook weather?
Keith
Thanks Keith, definitely considered that but unfortunately the Jayco is up for a bit of maintenance, which we have done before, but if I was to keep it I would want to redo the canvas and fix the roof again (older split roof which tends to sag). The other issue is that while it has heaps of storage, most is inside and I am over crawling around to pack.  Lastly, we cook outside normally so would like a nice outside set up we could use on the move.

Offline jfella

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 04:58:01 PM »
We are on our second rear fold. I chose this last one over the forward folds also. Our family of 4 has done a lot of touring in it. No, they don’t need to be on super level ground at all. I have the MDC Cape York which is now 4 years old. Still very happy with it after some solid touring.
Thanks GBC - In the past would have been a bit hesitate on the MDC but they seem to have improved a lot and the Cape York is pretty high on the list.

The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline jfella

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 04:59:24 PM »
We have the KK Sports RV which has a smaller front storage box what suits us.
Very easy to set up, done in 5 minutes excluding the awning.
On longer trips where we have overnighters our kids are sleeping on the floor.
When we stay longer they have there own tent and swag.
Hi Wilsurf - Love the KKs.  Can u store anything on the main bed when closed like fold up stretchers?

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 05:52:23 PM »
Not sure about those stretchers, but we have our bedding and the kids inflatables and sleeping bags stored on the bed when travelling.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline jfella

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2020, 06:53:20 PM »
Not sure about those stretchers, but we have our bedding and the kids inflatables and sleeping bags stored on the bed when travelling.

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2020, 10:06:57 PM »
Used my dads rear fold cub camper for a four week trip to tassie many years ago.

At the time thought they were good value for money.

Pretty straight forward to set up and pack up. It rained plenty and didn’t experience and wet bedding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline snakob_99

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 08:06:16 AM »
I have a ModCon Rear Fold, and wanted Rear fold as to me they make more sense than a forward fold.
I don't want to be sitting inside when I'm camping, so don't want a dinette inside. The rear fold has heaps of space inside, and all storage can be accessed when closed up.
Set up time is only a few minutes, with no poles to extend.

Th ground does have to be somewhat level, but nothing a block of wood can't work out.