Author Topic: Show us your bike (bicycle)  (Read 488888 times)

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Show us your bike (bicycle)
« Reply #650 on: April 01, 2017, 04:48:38 PM »
Somebody was looking after me today. I drove into the garage with my hardtail on the roof carrier today. I said f*ckity, f*ck, f*ck a few times when I heard the crash. As I surveyed the damage it appeared I had a not very healthy bike. On further inspection it appears the rear wheel strap on the carrier broke and the impact must have shunted the bike behind and clear of the car. Car damage - 0, bike carrier damage - busted plastic strap, I had a spare, bike damage - other than a few scrapes and a torn seat, not even a buckled wheel. You only do that once!
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #651 on: April 01, 2017, 05:11:22 PM »
Somebody was looking after me today. I drove into the garage with my hardtail on the roof carrier today. I said f*ckity, f*ck, f*ck a few times when I heard the crash. As I surveyed the damage it appeared I had a not very healthy bike. On further inspection it appears the rear wheel strap on the carrier broke and the impact must have shunted the bike behind and clear of the car. Car damage - 0, bike carrier damage - busted plastic strap, I had a spare, bike damage - other than a few scrapes and a torn seat, not even a buckled wheel. You only do that once!

Nice save! I would have been nervous at the sound of that crunch. You're not the first person to do it, and most others end up worse off than you did!

This is my bike. Not much but rides alright on the odd time I take it out, and a nice upgrade from my last bike. I have to admit to being a bit chicken when it comes to cycling. Love it and find it much easier on my body than running (my main go-to for keeping fit), but know too many people who have come off second best to cars or other cyclists. :( As a result the bike doesn't get the love it deserves...

Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #652 on: April 01, 2017, 05:43:30 PM »

This is why, I don't do roof mounted.  :o ;)

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #653 on: April 01, 2017, 07:29:42 PM »
This is why, I don't do roof mounted.  :o ;)

Foo

Me too.

However I really do need to come up with a better way to mount my bike to my ute tray... Any suggestions?
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #654 on: April 01, 2017, 07:37:42 PM »
Me too.

However I really do need to come up with a better way to mount my bike to my ute tray... Any suggestions?

Yep.  :cheers:

http://www.letour.com.au/assets/full/CB-617C.jpg

Foo
The following users thanked this post: trinityalyce

Offline scblack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #655 on: April 01, 2017, 08:02:01 PM »
Me too.

How do you do it now?
VW Amarok Highline 2016
Jayco Swan Outback 2015

A man must believe in something.
I believe I'll have another beer.

Offline NewieCamper

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #656 on: April 01, 2017, 08:56:02 PM »
I have to admit to being a bit chicken when it comes to cycling. Love it and find it much easier on my body than running (my main go-to for keeping fit), but know too many people who have come off second best to cars or other cyclists. :(
Running is killing my knees. I reckon I've done more damage to myself in the dozen 5km runs I've done this year, than in thousands of kms cycling on the roads.  MTB, that's a different story.

Offline Prydey

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Rob
« Reply #657 on: April 02, 2017, 12:33:14 PM »
my bike - 2012 Cannondale CAAD8

been riding for just over 4 years.  ave about 6000km/yr, give or take.

browsing back over the last couple of pages i notice some chat on tyres and punctures.  all my riding is social or commuting, so i'm more interested in durability rather than saving weight or rolling resistance.  for the last few years i've run continental gator hardshells in 25mm.  ran 23's for a while, but once you go 25's you'll never go back.  the tyres are almost puncture proof and last extremely well.  front tyre is nearing 11000km and still has plenty of life left according to tread wear dimples, but is starting to weather a bit.  Rear tyre did just over 9500km. Just fitted a new one.  Front has had zero punctures.  Rear had one puncture from hitting a pothole (pinch flat).  no punctures from penetration. 

i live in adelaide but the picture is from lamington national park in south east QLD.  near the top of a 30km climb (o'reillys). 

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #658 on: April 02, 2017, 05:31:23 PM »

Good save, I am in the habit that when ever I put anything on the rack I tie a piece of sting around the auto door remote so when I get home and pick it up I remember not to drive into the garage. So far touch wood it has worked

GG

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #659 on: April 02, 2017, 05:46:54 PM »
Good save, I am in the habit that when ever I put anything on the rack I tie a piece of sting around the auto door remote so when I get home and pick it up I remember not to drive into the garage. So far touch wood it has worked

I have this clip and it still didn't work. I might leave a ladder in my car space, that'll should stop me from driving into the garage...

I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #660 on: April 02, 2017, 07:21:40 PM »

Did that 12 years ago... 1st and only time I've done it...

Heading back to the Outdoor Ed centre and I thought that the bollards weren't going to be up in the town centre... they were... the normal way to turn round was via the multi storey car park. A Volvo V50 with 2 fork mounted bikes on the roof wasn't quite low enough to fit through... Broke one bike rack's mount (it looked like it was designed to fail at that point - thank you Thule!) and had to unwedge my bike (the joy of a 20" framed bike set for a 6'3" rider) as the saddle was well and truly wedged.

I've seen more than a few bikes come off of rear mounted racks, so I have a healthy respect for them and prefer a roof mount to those, and much prefer carrying the bikes inside.

Regularly used to carry canoes and kayaks on my roof racks, and often used some 18" uprights to carry more boats... I could get 4 whitewater kayaks on the roof, or 3 open canoes - that wasn't an unusual load really. I did like having a boat inspection hatch in the car aka sunroof  ;D Did have to remember that I had the uprights on though as I didn't always take them off if I was paddling at the weekend and coaching mid week.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 07:24:28 PM by Paddler Ed »

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #661 on: April 02, 2017, 09:04:49 PM »
My recent project now classic cafe cruiser, 91 Shogun Ninga Tange 1 rebuilt to 89 specs with single colour paint and Shimano Tricolor group set all round, weighs in under 10kg, lovely to ride.
2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Offline DCP

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #662 on: April 02, 2017, 09:20:29 PM »

Indian Pacific Wheel Race
For those who don`t know, my son and I have been following this race since the start.
These riders both male and female are ultra fit in body and mind. A race of5,500 k`s unsupported, and the clock does not stop.
But the race has be canceled due to a tragedy.

World ultra-distance cycling champion Mike Hall killed in Indian Pacific Wheel Race
March 31, 20177:58pm

A professional male cyclist may have been killed in the Indian Pacific Wheel Race.

THE cycling world is mourning the death of British ultra-distance star Mike Hall who was struck and killed by a car while competing in a race across Australia.

Organisers of the inaugural Indian Pacific Wheel Race - which covers 5500 kilometres from Perth to Sydney - cancelled the event on Friday after Hall was killed on the outskirts of Canberra.

Hall died at the scene following a collision with a car on the Monaro Highway before 6.30am.

The 35-year-old was in second place at the time.

“Mike revelled in the spirit and adventure of ultra-endurance cycling events,” race organisers said in a statement.

“Mike’s efforts in both raising money and the spirits of others were tremendous and he leaves an incredible legacy.” The organisers say they’ll co-operate fully with official investigations and “intend to undertake a detailed investigation of our own”.

Hall was in second place when his GPS tracker stopped moving near the scene of the collision.

According to Cycling website cyclingtips.com, the last ping from Hall’s GPS tracker was at around 6.30am. “It hasn’t moved since and is currently displaying a “Stop” message,” the website stated.
Hall revealed he was having problems with his vision in a recent video posted from the race route.

“It gets dark and all the glare of the light hitting the signage and road furniture just swirls around and blurs,” he said on the race’s Facebook page on Thursday.

“I’ve been thinking that I can’t stay awake because I’m just really tired. But it’s just the fact I can’t see in the dark properly — my eyes are nailed.”

The race started on March 18 in Fremantle and the leading rider, Belgium’s Kristof Allegaert, had been expected to reach the finish line at the Sydney Opera House on Friday.

About 70 riders started the race with Hall and Kristoff the favourites. Hall was one of the best ultra-distance riders in the world, having previously won the Trans Am Bike Race across the US and the Tour Divide traversing the Rocky Mountains from Canada to Mexico.

The British rider organised the Transcontinental race across Europe which Allegaert has won three times.

The Indian Pacific Wheel Race, organised by Australia’s 2015 Trans Am winner Jesse Carlsson, was the first time Hall and Allegaert had gone head-to-head. The showdown was being closely followed by fans across the world as the leaders approached Sydney. They had been racing with very little sleep. Hall revealed he was having problems with his vision in a recent video posted from the race route.

“It gets dark and all the glare of the light hitting the signage and road furniture just swirls around and blurs,” he said on the race’s Facebook page on Thursday.

“I’ve been thinking that I can’t stay awake because I’m just really tired. But it’s just the fact I can’t see in the dark properly - my eyes are nailed.”

Well-known Australian cycling commentator Matthew Keenan on Friday tweeted: “Heartbreaking. #rip” Sydney Lord Mayor Clover Moore said her thoughts were with Hall’s family and friends and the entire Indy Pac community.

The driver of the car involved is assisting ACT Policing with their inquiries. Crash investigators will piece together the circumstances surrounding the collision and prepare a report for the coroner.

“I can suggest, given the nature of the collision, an investigation into the circumstances would suggest the rider of the push bike died at the scene,” ACT Sergeant Chris Meagher said.

“[The driver] will be spoken to later by our Crash Investigation Reconstruction Team.”

The statement from organisers of the Indian Pacific Wheel Race read: “A collision between a motor vehicle and a cyclist occurred on the Monaro Highway at Royalla in New South Wales at approx. 6.20am on Friday morning. Race organisers are working with local authorities. We will co-operate fully with official investigations and we intend to undertake a detailed investigation of our own. Race organisers will provide more information when it becomes available.”

“That driver is in shock and will be spoken to later. There is no suggestion of speed or alcohol at this stage,” Sergeant Meagher added.

Another cyclist in the race, Eoin Marshall, was injured after colliding with a vehicle on the outskirts of Tarlee, north of Adelaide, on Monday morning. He was treated in hospital for a head wound and a fractured rib.
The Indian Pacific Wheel Race

According to its website, the Indian Pacific Wheel Race is a solo, single-stage, unsupported, 5500km road cycling race ocean-to-ocean across Australia.

The course is 100 per cent sealed. The race starts on 18 March 2017 at 6am in Fremantle, Western Australia and finishes at the Sydney Opera House whenever you get there. The clock does not stop. There is no prize money. “Nothing is at stake except honour,” the site states. ?

This race was inspired by the other grand tours of bikepacking: the Tour Divide, the Trans Am Bike Race and the Transcontinental.

Similar to these races, the rules for the Indian Pacific Wheel Race are simple and largely self-policed. The rules attempt to embody the spirit of self-support and fairness for all riders

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #663 on: April 03, 2017, 11:47:37 AM »
How do you do it now?

With a rope and blankets to protect the bike.  ;D I'm sure there's a better way. I actually don't care if I have some kind of mounting system bolted to the tray (which is what I'm considering) because the tray hardly gets used for what its intended (we have another ute for lugging stuff around).

Foo - something like what you've posted is what I was considering. You don't know where to buy them do you?

DCP - that is just heartbreaking. I had heard about that incident, but not in as much detail as what you've shared. :(

I know of too many stories of cyclists who have been hurt or killed. A friend of ours has been in two decent incidents - the most recent with another cyclist who U-turned in front of him on a bike path resulting in a few broken ribs - that have left him pretty battered, yet he still gets back on the bike. Someone else I know of has had multiple surgeries after a fall (windswept off by a truck from memory, not a direct hit). There's so many stories. Its why I stay off the roads. I wish I had the nerve to get out there and do it because I LOVE it when I do... but I just feel safer running. I would feel safer riding in a group but don't know anyone else locally who rides. So wind trainer and odd time out on the bike paths it is...

Also talking punctures, another vote here for Gatorskins. Hubby runs them on his mountain bike (road type tyres as the bike doesn't go on the trails) - has taken far too many detours over grass/sticks/gravel/other debris leaving me stuck to the bike paths on the rare time he rides with me! When I'm due for new tyres (soon!) I'll be going for the Gatorskins I think! That is if the bike gets used enough to actually require new tyres...  :'(
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 11:59:54 AM by trinityalyce »

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #664 on: April 03, 2017, 12:04:06 PM »
With a rope and blankets to protect the bike.  ;D I'm sure there's a better way. I actually don't care if I have some kind of mounting system bolted to the tray (which is what I'm considering) because the tray hardly gets used for what its intended (we have another ute for lugging stuff around).

Foo - something like what you've posted is what I was considering. You don't know where to buy them do you?

How many do you need, I have a few that are no longer in use

GG

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #665 on: April 03, 2017, 12:38:47 PM »
How many do you need, I have a few that are no longer in use

GG

Two bikes at most, so two of those thingos for the front wheel, one each bike? Just need to figure out what to do to hold down the back wheel... Is there some kind of stand-alone bracket with a strap like what the roof rack carriers have?

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #666 on: April 03, 2017, 12:54:24 PM »
Two bikes at most, so two of those thingos for the front wheel, one each bike? Just need to figure out what to do to hold down the back wheel... Is there some kind of stand-alone bracket with a strap like what the roof rack carriers have?

Send me a PM with contact details and I will get them in the post.

I used to put a strap over the back wheels that just held the bikes in place

GG

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #667 on: April 05, 2017, 05:16:39 PM »
Had a flat tyre yesterday so started to swap with new and narrower rubber.
The rear wheel dropped on the ground and when I picked it up I noticed this:

Now I need a new rear wheel......
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #668 on: April 21, 2017, 11:22:26 AM »
Look what showed up this week:

Offline crappsy

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Life's short so enjoy it when you can
« Reply #669 on: April 21, 2017, 11:37:51 AM »
Very nice

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #670 on: April 21, 2017, 08:04:23 PM »

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #671 on: April 24, 2017, 04:08:34 PM »
Can't afford those just yet Foo. :-)

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #672 on: April 24, 2017, 04:56:08 PM »
You should get a good run out of the Fulcrums, till ya can, WilSurf.  ;D

Foo

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #673 on: April 24, 2017, 05:05:27 PM »
Sure will.
Now I am looking at a new chain ring and cassette as after 6,000 kms they have worn significantly.
Not sure what to go for.
The bike came standard with chain ring 48-34 and 11-36 cassette.
Maybe 50-34?

Offline Prydey

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Rob
« Reply #674 on: April 24, 2017, 07:09:32 PM »
Sure will.
Now I am looking at a new chain ring and cassette as after 6,000 kms they have worn significantly.
Not sure what to go for.
The bike came standard with chain ring 48-34 and 11-36 cassette.
Maybe 50-34?

my chainrings have done over 20000km and still going ok.  cassette is the 2nd one in the same timeframe, as is the chain.  mind you, i don't do offroad. 

as for what chainring sizes to go for, a 50/34 will only be beneficial if you have been maxxing out the 48-11 combo, which would be only likely on a fast downhill.