Author Topic: The CUB CLUB  (Read 264495 times)

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: The CUB CLUB
« Reply #175 on: September 20, 2012, 06:44:11 PM »

That's odd.  #4 should have the clip on both ends and goes between # 2 with a slide lock and are spreader poles to keep the canvas taught.

With #1 the  black adjustable/slide allows for the poles to be as long or as as short as needed.

Did figure out I have four types, the ones with the flat end  and " C "on the other are used inside to support the rear of the tent.
Brett

I have the ones to support the rear of the tent Brett, didn't include them in the pic.
Cub was 2nd hand, so maybe previous owner had extras, & put them in thinking they were the spreader bars Al, would explain it :)
Easily fixed, I'll just buy some C's & put them in the bottom of the poles  ;)

As for the black adjustable/slides, they're on standard (height) adjustable poles. They slide up & down making no difference to the ability to extend the pole(s)
Bob and Robyn

Offline just startin

• Swag User
« Reply #176 on: September 20, 2012, 07:00:16 PM »
tasibrett,
            Like you I was after 2 poles to hold the front up a little tighter, so I brought 2 x 1mtr extendable poles and cut off the pin end and fitted "C" clips in their place. They work fine

Offline maurerless

• Tent User
  • Don't take life seriously; no one gets out alive
« Reply #177 on: September 20, 2012, 08:08:11 PM »

As for the black adjustable/slides, they're on standard (height) adjustable poles. They slide up & down making no difference to the ability to extend the pole(s)

Could it be to stop the horizontal spreaders (eg #2) from sliding down the poles? My vertical poles have tech screws in them to stop movement from the C clips.

Tony
2010 Isuzu D-Max; Hard walled mobile swag, but still getting out there. :)

Offline Eski

• Tent User
  • Practising Grey Nomad
« Reply #178 on: September 20, 2012, 10:01:27 PM »
I've been modifying again.   My little Butsy's Campa for the bike has pins in the legs to stop them dropping on the road.

I thought the Cub needs them too so a job to do...

Yes I know I should do some painting... ???
Kym
2022 Isuzu MU-X & Cheetah X-Country

Offline phillbie

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #179 on: October 11, 2012, 07:30:34 PM »
Looking at buying a new Cub Brumby this year. Has anyone got the Brumby and taken it to Cape York, was just wondering how it would handle the Old Telegraph Road ?
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c161/phillbie/camper/dargo040_zps19bde785.jpg

Offline Peter8

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #180 on: October 12, 2012, 08:23:43 PM »
We have done a few more trips in the awesome Daintree lately, and the wind has found a weak spot that you guys may be able to help with? The vertical poles slide, even if I lock them hard the clamp thing doesn't seem to provide enough pressure on the shaft?
And still debating - fridge in the back of the Pajero or get a fridgebox like the Brumby for the CT front bars. Hellllpppppp!

Offline Wazza2

• Tent User
  • Campfires rule!
« Reply #181 on: October 13, 2012, 12:30:46 AM »
Peter it's interesting that your vertical poles aren't holding on during wind. Ours is new and just feels like it has a light gripmwhen you lock them in. Maybe someone with experience can share their trick to making sure they grip when required.

As for the fridge, there's a few thread's here, eg from sableSoft, where the fridge box has been well set up to minimise heat buildup. I figured it was one less job to keep it in the back of the prado where it has the luxury of air con while we travel. At camp the fridge will live under the awning, so well ventilated and out of the sun.

Offline corynmelnkids

• Tent User
« Reply #182 on: October 13, 2012, 07:11:43 AM »
Hi all
We have been on 2 trips now in our Cub 1 overnight camp and 1 4 night stay over the long weekend.
We are absolutely over the moon with the Cub. In regards to the previous 2 posts we have 2 fridges a Engel Eclipse and it lives at the end of the bed
and the other is a 60Lt Eva Cool Travel Mate and it lives in the back of the Prado. While away over the long weekend we bought a Stacer 349 Cartopper and a 5HP 4 stroke Suzuki to mount on top of the CT. Just need to make a motor mount for the draw bar and put some rollers on the back rack to make
it easier for me to load by myself. After our last trip i borrowed the old mans solar panels so now i need to buy i set for myself and a drop slide for the back of the Prado. Hopefully we are going away again in a fortnight for the weekend cant wait.
These photos are from our overnight camp at Kylie's as i forgot to take the camera for the long weekend camp. (still in the %$#@ over that).
2003 Toyota Prado Turbo dsl
Cub Supamatic Escape Offroad
Stacer 349 Cartopper with a Suzuki 5hp 4 stroke
All set now for a big trip just need the money
and time off work.

Offline corynmelnkids

• Tent User
« Reply #183 on: October 13, 2012, 07:18:30 AM »
I have question for all the brumby/daintree owners do any of you have problems with the gas control knobs getting hot with the wind deflectors up?
and time off work.

Offline poppasmurf

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #184 on: October 13, 2012, 06:53:27 PM »
I have a Brumby and have never had the problem of hot gas knobs.

Cheers Shane
06 Terracan, 2010 cub kamperoo brumby

Offline boxxy

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #185 on: October 15, 2012, 03:44:50 PM »
We have done a few more trips in the awesome Daintree lately, and the wind has found a weak spot that you guys may be able to help with? The vertical poles slide, even if I lock them hard the clamp thing doesn't seem to provide enough pressure on the shaft?
And still debating - fridge in the back of the Pajero or get a fridgebox like the Brumby for the CT front bars. Hellllpppppp!

I had the same problem on ours, rang Cub and they supplied new pole clamps, seems there was a bad batch and they are replacing them when and if people complain about it, well, that was in Brisbane anyway

Cheers
Boxxy

Offline Peter8

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #186 on: October 15, 2012, 08:30:58 PM »
Thanks mate, grabbed a different one today and it is perfect, must be some of the plastic fittings are crap.
Peter

Offline mary

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #187 on: October 16, 2012, 08:13:29 PM »
Hi Cub Club,
I have purchased a Track MC2 trailer and instead or fitting a standard type soft floor camper I figure a camper module off a cub would fit great.Would  not be unlike the original Desert eagle side tipper in size or weight but have the hard floor advantage.Just in the brain wave stage at this time but feel would be the ultimate of road off ground set up.
Your thoughts please,
Mary

Offline phillbie

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #188 on: October 17, 2012, 07:21:24 AM »
Next question before I order the new Brumby. Have been reading some negative comments about the disc brake setup, and it is only $265 to fit electric if I order it from new. So what are the pros and cons on electric verses disc?

Offline poppasmurf

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #189 on: October 17, 2012, 09:58:19 AM »
Hi Philbie, I have had absolutely no issues with the disc brake over ride set up, but for $265 electric seems very affordable if that is what you want. My opinion is electric is just another thing to go wrong that is not so easy to diagnose, whereas over ride discs are very basic and mostly trouble free. Remember this is only my opinion.

Cheers Shane
06 Terracan, 2010 cub kamperoo brumby

Offline phillbie

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #190 on: October 17, 2012, 02:58:17 PM »
Thanks mate, it might be just your opinion but its still worth listening to  :)

Offline corynmelnkids

• Tent User
« Reply #191 on: October 17, 2012, 06:10:37 PM »
I had the same problem when we ordered ours nearly rung up on countless times to get them to put electric brakes on but left it with the override and i am glad i did the work great and are very low maintenance compared to electric brakes.
and time off work.

Offline just startin

• Swag User
« Reply #192 on: October 17, 2012, 07:50:53 PM »
Hi all,
         We are having a problem with our center uprights that hold the tent up. They have been replaced due to them being bent by a servere wind while at Arkaroola last Month ( Cub were great with their quick work) It was ok for the first couple of set ups, but now on set up it leans to the stove side and we can't keep it straight without using the tie down ropes and pegs on the other side ( seems like the top spreader is to wide BUT this has not been replaced). Have tried to reset the canvas with no luck, has anyone had this problem and how can we fix it !!
The camper is a Spacematic Drover
Also on fold up the tent needs to be pushed in to close the top, as the poles hang out the side !

Offline phillbie

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #193 on: October 21, 2012, 01:48:30 PM »
Was talking to CUB Melbourne the other week and was told CUB will fit the Alko type drop down legs on the rear of the Brumby in place of the original drop leg, will be going this way myself as I am worried about hanging up on the standard set up. They fit the Alko type leg standard on the the new Stockman.

Offline coffs camping

• Tent User
  • We are three - Mum, Ms.15 and Mr.9
« Reply #194 on: October 21, 2012, 09:39:04 PM »
Just thought we'd join this cub club too.

Mum + 2 have a 2002 transcontinental cub with internal kitchen. Have just had a few repairs done and taking it out next weekend and the one after.

We are Cub converts from a Jayco. Jayco was too big for Mum + 2. Cub is easier for me to move on my own, easy to tow, easy and quick to set up. When its easy to use its easy to go!

Enjoy your Cub, see you out there (if you live in the west!),

J
Love weekend camping whenever we can in our 2002 Cub Spacematic (Transcontinental Pack) with the 80series LC. See you out there!! J

Offline phillbie

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #195 on: November 04, 2012, 10:11:50 AM »
Went to CUB Melbourne yesterday with the intention of ordering a new BRUMBY, got there and the wifes says she now prefers the the Supermatic  so we get the queensize bed(means I am further away from her at night I guess), and more storage/floor space. Dont like the price of the Drover so we looked at specking up the Escape but was just concerned about the chasis, salesman says that you will never break the standard chasis and the 150mm is total overkill. Have noticed quite a few Escapes on the forum in offroad spec and has anyone seen or heard of any issues with the lighter chassis off road. If all good news then it will be an Escape for sure(unless the boss changes her mind again)  ;D

Offline Yimmy

• Tent User
« Reply #196 on: November 04, 2012, 02:29:46 PM »
Hi everyone just joined the cub club as well last Tuesday,

Similar to coffs converted from the jayco, jayco was too big and clumsy for us, we prefer more bush camping and the boys at 12 & 17 sleep in the swags now.

The new cub is a off road supamatic escape, currently it is up seasoning the canvas.

Can't wait to get away in it  ;D hmmm need to work on getting pics up :worthles:

Jim

Offline phillbie

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #197 on: November 04, 2012, 05:41:21 PM »
Yep doing the same thing mate, just waiting for the Jayco Outback Eagle to sell and am off to CUB for the new Camper. Will most likely be the the Escape as well.

Offline Yimmy

• Tent User
« Reply #198 on: November 04, 2012, 08:51:12 PM »
Mate,

3rd camper we have had, 90 percent of people will not use the camper to its speccd limit.

This time we took the basic camper, was quoted $1100 for the battery pack, yeah right, $300 for a agm deep cycle ill do it myself or get someone else to do it for me.

From what I have seen I am very happy with the escape off road supamatic, it will do everything I can throw at it.

But the proof will be in the pudding but do not see any problems with the cub very happy

Jim

Offline phillbie

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #199 on: November 04, 2012, 09:27:04 PM »
That $1100 for 12v Battery pack does seem a little steep, was going to have a chat with Dave in Melb just to see what u actually get for the money. Fitted up my Jayco for less than half that and got twin batts in it. At the end of the day its just a jell battery, smart charger and some wire.