Author Topic: The CUB CLUB  (Read 260870 times)

Offline gee-you1

• Learning the Ropes
Re: The CUB CLUB
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2012, 05:29:14 PM »
Hi all,

Sold my Jayco and bought a Brumby.

Would you consider taking it across the Simpson, behind a 3.0 Crd Patrol?
I have tents as well, but want a few more extras.
Going with other 4wds as well.

Cheers.

Offline lockyer

• Swag User
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2012, 08:21:31 AM »
Hi

Here is the old girl, I repainted her approx 8 years ago, and we put a new canvas top on her 5 years ago and last year I strip the interior and made a raised bed with storage underneath.

Offline hargs

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2012, 06:07:29 AM »
Cub to the high country for me.   Two trips in a year - must be a good year...

By fjrkym at 2012-01-01

By fjrkym at 2012-01-01

By fjrkym at 2012-01-01

Huge fun and no problems...   ;D

Great pic's   !!!!!!!!
Life is to short not to...............

Offline hargs

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2012, 06:11:46 AM »
looks still in great nic Lockyer...............................................

Sending lots of energy up your way at this time ............being 1 year on.

Life is to short not to...............

Offline Eski

• Tent User
  • Practising Grey Nomad
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2012, 10:10:47 PM »

Great pic's   !!!!!!!!

Thanks, I have about 300 pictures all up.   

It was great to get away and have fun and the scenery up there is so beautiful....   :cup:

I am plotting with mates for another run next year...
Kym
2022 Isuzu MU-X & Cheetah X-Country

Offline Pathfinding

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #105 on: January 20, 2012, 01:28:17 PM »
Hi all,
My wife & I are considering a Spacevan for our new camper. My wife wants the comfort but I'm worried about the "off-road-ability" of the Spacevan.  The new camper would need to be able to follow our 4WD across the top of WA.  We want to head to all the usual suspects; GRR, Cape Leveque, Mitchell Plateau, Bungle Bungles, etc.
So how does the Spacevan fair when it comes to rocky off-road, sand, etc?  I see a lots of Spacematics here but we're specifically after experiences with Spacevans for now.

Cheers
Ben
R51 Pathfinder... 2012 Outback Swan. Now if I only I could get some holidays to go with it!

Offline itchvet

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #106 on: January 20, 2012, 07:42:07 PM »
Ben,
I own a CUB SPACEMATIC which is no 5 years old, It is NOT an offroad Ct, but I have no complaints of it in that regard.
I did a trip last year to Karajini via the Meeka Rd, (boring) at Newman we left the bitumen and from then on it was rocks, rocks and more rocks.
Many vehicles were passed with blow outs or flats. The Cub was fitted with light truck tyres (8ply) and not a problem with them throughout the trip.
The stone guard copped a hammering though, and if I did it again, I'd fit something to the Towing vehicle to reduce the stones thrown at the CT.
Regards the stone guard on the camper, it's a CUB supplied and fitted and the plastic mesh is held on with electrical ties, which were to put it simply, demolished and needed replacing every day nearly. I went thru three packs of a 100 each. LOL.
The lpg tap and bayonet fitting also copped their fair share, and the tap nearly losy the red part coming loose from the hammering it received.
There are some stone chips on the paint work, only a close scrutiny would reveal, but IMHO for an non off road ct it came thru with flying colours.
Preparation is what it's all about, and if you prepare it well and keep an eye on your speed, the damage will be minimal if any at all.

Offline itchvet

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #107 on: January 20, 2012, 07:51:05 PM »
Hmm, I assume you bought a pole that clips onto the others at both ends. Where did you source it from?

Now I've fixed the fridge ventilation I'm going to fit a tarp over the entire roof, incl the awning. I'll need to get some extra poles anyway. The main reason is that after seasoning about 9 times and being in the rain about 3 times the roof seams still leak. I'm getting a bit sick of waking in the middle of the night with water dripping on my head.  >:( The added bonus is that it will keep the roof cleaner from bird cr@p and the like as well as possibly assisting the temperatures.

Tony

Tony, get yourself some waterproofing material from any good camping store, brush it in thoroughly into the stitching ensuring it goes all the way thru, then even though you may still see light through the holes, water will no longer come thru.
Alternatively, you can get a candle and rub it over the stitching working the wax into same, do this on a warm or hot day, outcome will be the same as painting water proof stuff on.
I also use a tarp as a fly over everything, this also helps to keep things absolutely dry, and avoids Possum piddle and droppings staining things, which are a hell of a job to try to remove.

Offline Estelle

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • New members of the leisure club
« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2012, 06:27:37 AM »
We have taken our Off Road Spacevan across some roughish roads and it survived without any problems. As Itchvet has said, get some form of stone guard for the rear of the tug as well. We get the occassional light 'ping' off the back window, but no chips or scratches on the tug's paintwork.

The track for the Mitsi is very close to that of the Spacevan. Haven't tried it over soft deep sand. Dry River beds no problem.

You just need to watch the top of the Spacevan as it is fairly high (higher than the Paj). When it goes through a ditch following the tug, it can get quite a tilt up (nearby trees).

It has a higher ground clearance than the Paj (std) as well.
Chris & John

05 DiD Platinum Pajero, Cub Spacevan Drover Off Road

Offline adrianjt

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #109 on: February 03, 2012, 09:58:57 AM »
dear all

new to forum, gday

mum & dad have 4 kids (11,9,7,5yo)

we like camping & touring but setting up (esp big old canvas tent) and packing up is arduous. at the moment we dont have the cash for a nice poptop (semi) offroad caravan, & not sure we want such a big lump in tow either. so looking at campervans, did alot of this as kid. most people dont seem to cook in them (prepare food tho), dont really want to be inside anyway, an old but refurb'd offroad cub drifter we are looking at seem to be simple & ticks the boxes, but how does it compare with something more upmarket like a goldstream or even a jayco? they seem a bit bigger, nicer, but... for x3, x4 or x5 price, is that buying any huge improvements? would really appreciate advice

also are there any mods/faults/things to look out for/consider in the the old drifter range? am considering an oztent rv for awning & extra room

thanks in advance
adrian

Offline just startin

• Swag User
« Reply #110 on: February 03, 2012, 11:55:44 AM »
Trying to post some pics of our Cub, will keep trying if I don't succed this time (not to good with computors)

Offline just startin

• Swag User
« Reply #111 on: February 03, 2012, 12:08:09 PM »
HEY IT WORKED !!!!! Now when it stops raining I can take some pics of the camper (should have been camping up the North Coast this week,lucky we stayed at home as we would have been washed away). One (pic) is of the hand over at the new factory and 2nd is in the yard after I fitted my own fridge box (to fit 80lt Waco) on extended drawbar. Its a Spacematic Drover (no internal fridge, just poti cupboard on one side and drawers on the other and space left at end of bed for eze of getting out. As said above will post more pics when able.

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #112 on: February 04, 2012, 09:06:15 AM »
Looks good, thats one big coffin box on the front. Keep us updated on the mods

GG

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #113 on: February 05, 2012, 09:26:14 PM »
Too clean just startin  :P
Next w/end, no matter what, you need to take it out for a photo-shoot camp  :)

-----------------------------------------------

A request from you Cub owners with a Nth/Sth bed set up.

Next time you have yours open, could you take some pics & measurements of the bed frame please?
What's the frame made of?
And what type of timber is being used under the mattress?

No hurry, just a thought brewing  :laugh:
Bob and Robyn

Offline Muso

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The beatings will stop when morale improves
« Reply #114 on: February 06, 2012, 05:41:30 AM »
Howdy BobnRob.

Our cub has 2 single beds (if your interested) and will have the measurements this w/end.  We got the two single bed version because we are older (60's) and any nocturnal ablutions can happen without disturbing the other. Also, I like to sleep on my own :angel: (Excuse the mess, but the housemaid turned up late..........have to sack her)

« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 05:43:58 AM by Muso »
Cheers Glenn

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #115 on: February 06, 2012, 05:57:17 AM »
Thanks Muso, we've got the singles as well.
Lots of positives to the singles I know, most importantly those you've already mentioned, but I'm wanting to have permanent storage space. As it stands at the moment, the storage tubs we use get moved to a corner or outside when we set up, I want to be able to leave them permanently 'outa site' :) hence the thinking of making up a frame for double/queen bed

Appreciate your offer just the same  :cheers:
Bob and Robyn

The following users thanked this post: gsammy

Offline grizzly

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #116 on: February 06, 2012, 05:25:58 PM »
Cub Clubbers
I am looking for a suitable brake caliper to retro fit to the Alco disc brakes on the spacematic offroad to convert them from over ride to hydrolic has anyone found anything that would suit and could I be guided to where to get them, I looked into the system Kimberly Kampers use but their calipers are too small, ( which speakes well for the size of the disc on the cub)
Any help greatly appreciated
Grizzly  :cheers:

Offline Muso

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The beatings will stop when morale improves
« Reply #117 on: February 06, 2012, 06:20:13 PM »
Thanks Muso, we've got the singles as well.
Lots of positives to the singles I know, most importantly those you've already mentioned, but I'm wanting to have permanent storage space. As it stands at the moment, the storage tubs we use get moved to a corner or outside when we set up, I want to be able to leave them permanently 'outa site' :) hence the thinking of making up a frame for double/queen bed

Appreciate your offer just the same  :cheers:

Eventually I intend to put a storage drawer opposite the kitchen sink drawer (on the drivers side). This will be to store pots, pans, axe etc.
Cheers Glenn

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #118 on: February 06, 2012, 07:27:54 PM »
A request from you Cub owners with a Nth/Sth bed set up.

Next time you have yours open, could you take some pics & measurements of the bed frame please?
What's the frame made of?
And what type of timber is being used under the mattress?

No hurry, just a thought brewing  :laugh:
I took some pics of the Supamatic Snow Cave's underbed area and framing when I had it apart. The length of the bed is the same as the single beds. You can see where the frame comes up just short of the fridge.
 :cheers:
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #119 on: February 07, 2012, 08:52:22 AM »
Thanks Snow, that gives me the visual foundation  :cheers:
I'm reckon 12mm structual ply should do the base board just fine :)
Bob and Robyn

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #120 on: February 07, 2012, 11:22:16 AM »
Note though, where the cross brace goes under the bed board, it is 25mm lower than the side longitudinal supports (note where the gas struts are fitted). This allows the 12mm ply bed base to sag in the middle. We got jack of that and I fitted a piece of inch square on top of the brace to bring the centre of the bed level with the sides.
 :cheers:
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline just startin

• Swag User
« Reply #121 on: February 08, 2012, 07:57:17 PM »
Hey
           Some pics of our C/T down at Wombean Caves (had problems with camera, not all were saved)

Offline just startin

• Swag User
« Reply #122 on: February 08, 2012, 08:02:12 PM »
Had a problem uploading all pics trying again !

Offline VKPrado

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #123 on: February 09, 2012, 12:18:10 PM »
Cub Clubbers
I am looking for a suitable brake caliper to retro fit to the Alco disc brakes on the spacematic offroad to convert them from over ride to hydrolic has anyone found anything that would suit and could I be guided to where to get them, I looked into the system Kimberly Kampers use but their calipers are too small, ( which speakes well for the size of the disc on the cub)
Any help greatly appreciated
Grizzly  :cheers:

Just had a quick look at the ALKO web site and they do a hydrulic brake set up http://www.alko.com.au/uploads/2008/12/AL-KO_HydraulicDiscBrake_Brochure.pdf so that might be of help.

Offline VKPrado

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #124 on: February 09, 2012, 12:23:36 PM »
Just wondering, those that have a set of Cub stone flaps on the front of there camper, just how low do they hang  ???? Am just about to move my stone guard back towards the camper and wanted to fit a set of flaps on but was unsure just how low they should really hang (just doesn't seem right to ask that somehow).
The genuine Cub ones look to be about the right size so any info on them would be good.