Author Topic: Is your box trailer insured?  (Read 5205 times)

Offline LB

• Soft Floor Camper User
Is your box trailer insured?
« on: November 02, 2012, 08:42:51 PM »
We may be the only ignorant people around but for some reason we thought that our box trailer would be covered by our car insurance when attached to the car. Well its not!

So if we had reversed the trailer into a Ferrari we would be personally up for the lot.

We only found this out when were were getting quotes for the new CT.

End result as of this week our box trailer is now insured. Only $60 per year not much when you consider what could cody us.

LB

2017 BT-50 GT
Kimberley Kamper Platinum 2013

Offline Patt31

• Tent User
    • James and Patsyannes big aussie adventure
Re: Is your box trailer insured?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 09:07:28 PM »
Is that only applicable in NSW, we tried to insure out trailer up here but were told we were covered by the car towing it. We live in Qld so would be interested to know if they have changed the law and not advertised the changes.
Test driving early retirement - every chance we get :)

Toyota Landcruiser with extras, cape york hard floor camper trailer...

bunyip

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 10:18:02 PM »
Patt31,

Probably best to check with your insurer.

We had not even thought of insuring the trailer, when they quoted me $60 I asked if that was a month or a quarter. Almost fell off my chair when she said it was yearly. $200 excess or $400 if the claim is from hail or cyclone.

NRMA also do agreed value only for trailers, and do not depreciate until you call and ask them to. If the trailer is built for off road then it is insured anywhere in Australia (I checked that that included the Cape and CSR as these are two of my dream trips). Not that the box trailer will be going there, but it is the same PDS for the CT.

Bunyip
(Yes I am married to LB for those that are not aware)

Offline StrvnMrvn

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I get payed to go camping!!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 12:03:40 AM »
Hey ppl,

I just picked up my CT and got it insured for $200 a year (NRMA)!! If in QLD Patt31, you trailer is coverd by the vehicle towing it. I found that out from QLD Transport when I rang about picking up the trailer and what I needed to do to get it registered.

:cheers:

Strvy
Cheers

Strvy

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 04:47:23 AM »
Is that only applicable in NSW, we tried to insure out trailer up here but were told we were covered by the car towing it. We live in Qld so would be interested to know if they have changed the law and not advertised the changes.

You need that in writing too.
Also find out if they cover the contents inside the trailer.
Mine carries mowers etc for work, with one of 'em being a $5.000 ride-on mower, so make sure contents are in it too, as they can be say, expensive furniture, a motorbike or something else of value.

RACQ, when i first insured my work trailer, said it was covered for commercial use, but paperwork came back as private. When asked about that, RACQ bloke said, yeah, covered for commercial even though paperwork says otherwise and wouldn't or couldn't change it, so we switched providers. Áfter seeing RACQ abandon flood victims a few years ago, i think it was the correct choice too.

The other thing that stuffs ém up, is when they ask for a year model..... my Dad bought the trailer brand new in 1966 and no-one believes ya when you tell them its still going.
By the time I've explained, the FJ Holden hubs have been upgraded in the 80's to HQ and it still has the original steel floor fitted after 46 years, they do come around and its all OK.

Even the rego sticker says... 1966 unknown make. advise.

I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 07:27:25 AM »
Under AAMI's Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) they state,

We help pay for damage to your trailer
We pay up to $750 for accidental damage to your trailer that occurs while it is attached to your car (excludes camper trailers and caravans).

And further in the PDS,

The use of your car has caused damage to someone else's property (legal liability)
Phone AAMI (as soon as possible) on 13 22 44.
We cover your legal liability for any loss or damage to other people's property and loss or damage consequent upon damage to other people's property resulting from the use of your car. The use of a trailer attached to your car is also covered.

So that makes it clear.  If your trailer is being used as a camper trailer, you need to insure it. If it is just being used as a box trailer then it is covered under the vehicle's policy.

I thought that was the case with all companies, in Queensland anyway.

Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.