Author Topic: Tesla Powerwall  (Read 10723 times)

Offline fuzz

• Swag User
Re: Tesla Powerwall
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2016, 04:39:04 PM »
ok so my main motivation is not financial (setup or tariffs for supplying to the grid)......I'm no hippy (or millionaire for that matter) but I care more about having a setup that will reduce my power consumption as priority #1....anything else is a bonus.

In saying that obviously no-one wants to invest 1000's of $$ to still have a relatively large power bill every quarter.........

There have been 1 or two things mentioned in this thread about alternatives, not much in the way of what others actually do/have done/install for others.......am left wondering if many of us are even travelling down this path and that is perhaps why???

At the end of the day I want to build a house, solar, electric storage HW, peak power usage setup during the day, battery storage that can deliver the needs of my house during the night.......i have around 20k to put something together initially and I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty .......Tesla looks like the solve but I was concerned about it's delivery capabilities......do other systems have these same issues?? Again, any thoughts from those who are playing this game would be great.....

The following users thanked this post: Hairs

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2016, 04:54:54 PM »
Yep, same here.
3.8kw system that will be make power for some one else. We have had solar Hot Water for a few years now.
With both of us working and the kids(3) in school using as much power as possible during the day isn't an option, Unless we can train the dogs to do the washing, vacuum, weld  ???
So we need a system where we can store energy for when we get home, in winter this is well after the sun as gone to bed.
ATM I'm looking into a led light system, something very similar to our camping needs, 12V, couple of Deep Cycle Batteries and a 200w Solar panel.
We also have a small geny for emergencies, it does keep the Household 600lt fridge/freezer(2 Adults/3 Teenagers) going in black outs.
What's frustrating, nobody can come up with a solution that fits the box, everyone whats to sell ya something and confuse you with BS.
I'll keep searching  ;D
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2016, 05:23:32 PM »
ok so my main motivation is not financial (setup or tariffs for supplying to the grid)......I'm no hippy (or millionaire for that matter) but I care more about having a setup that will reduce my power consumption as priority #1....anything else is a bonus.

In saying that obviously no-one wants to invest 1000's of $$ to still have a relatively large power bill every quarter.........

There have been 1 or two things mentioned in this thread about alternatives, not much in the way of what others actually do/have done/install for others.......am left wondering if many of us are even travelling down this path and that is perhaps why???

At the end of the day I want to build a house, solar, electric storage HW, peak power usage setup during the day, battery storage that can deliver the needs of my house during the night.......i have around 20k to put something together initially and I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty .......Tesla looks like the solve but I was concerned about it's delivery capabilities......do other systems have these same issues?? Again, any thoughts from those who are playing this game would be great.....
Hybrid power generation?
Throw in a wind turbine. Then the potential for power feed back into your storage is 24hrs a day. That may help negate the need for having such a massive battery storage system.

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2016, 06:06:58 PM »
The more we use renewables and storage the less of an impact the manucature of these products will create. I dont think goverments really get the urgency of reducing green house emissions - I want a decent world for my kids to live in and at the current rate we are going its not going to happen

If you really are that concerned then you are more effective by just reducing your consumption.  Feeding our energy hungry lifestyle is where the problem is.

China is actively reducing its coal power more than most other countries around the world - with the air polloution they have there wasnt really any other choice. Granted India dosent seem to mind burning coal into the near and far future. Jesus Im sounding like some unwashed hippie :-[

They are only doing that around the major centres.  Out in the countryside away from the international media they are still building them at a rate of about one station every month.

With both of us working and the kids(3) in school using as much power as possible during the day isn't an option, Unless we can train the dogs to do the washing, vacuum, weld  ???

Get a washing machine with a timer, load it at night when you are home and have it run at the middle of the day when the solar is doing its thing.  Hang it up when you get home.

Those robotic vacuums work pretty well too, again have it come on in the middle of the day.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13
The following users thanked this post: Hairs

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2016, 07:54:22 PM »
Hybrid power generation?
Throw in a wind turbine. Then the potential for power feed back into your storage is 24hrs a day. That may help negate the need for having such a massive battery storage system.

Cheers Glen

Not a realistic option for the vast majority of us-
http://www.energymatters.com.au/components/wind-power-guide/
Even the cockies have given up on windmills and use solar powered electric pumps for their bores, but then intermittent output is not an issue for stock watering purposes. Similarly the best use of commercial wind power is for desalination when we're not up to our tits in flooding rains.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2016, 08:06:32 PM »
So we need a system where we can store energy for when we get home, in winter this is well after the sun as gone to bed.

Run your air con during the day to cool the house down and keep it cool. Turn it off in the evening. Same for hearing. Run it higher during the day and turn it off/down at night
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2016, 08:14:22 PM »
Not a realistic option for the vast majority of us-
http://www.energymatters.com.au/components/wind-power-guide/
Even the cockies have given up on windmills and use solar powered electric pumps for their bores, but then intermittent output is not an issue for stock watering purposes. Similarly the best use of commercial wind power is for desalination when we're not up to our tits in flooding rains.

Don't know why they are bothering building wind farms if it doesn't work in Australia.
Think you will find solar powered bore pumps are cost effective against windmills due to less maintenance, and may even be cheaper now on outright purchase.
 Granted they don't work when theres no wind, but that's why they have header tanks and dams next to them, as do the bore pumps.
According to government figures we don't really lack that much wind nation wide.
http://www.finance.wa.gov.au/cms/uploadedFiles/Public_Utilities_Office/Energy_in_WA/Renewable_energy/mean-wind-speed-2008.pdf
Anyhowse, I'm just giving the OP something to throw into the mix.

Offline Beepa

• Tent User
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2016, 06:40:40 AM »
It's a pity we can't just plug our camping solar panels into our current system when we are not camping, seems a pity to store them in the shed for next trip.
Humping a Camel Beachcomber Plus.

Offline NewieCamper

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2016, 07:36:07 AM »
We've got a 4kw system. Split 50/50 over north and west roof space to generate more power into the afternoon when we can use it better. Pool pump goes in the morning while we are mostly out. Washing machine and dishwasher have timers so can be used in the day, or on off peak.

I thought about getting the extra solar power generated fed into the hot water system which is currently off peak, but typically we use most hot water in the evening so the sun power wouldn't heat it and the extra $ to upgrade aren't worth it.

$ wise it still isn't very efficient, but like fuzz, it's partially about being more green. All our lighting is led or flouro, I think the only incandescently left are in the fridge and oven. Reasonably efficient appliances etc help.

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!
The following users thanked this post: fuzz

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2016, 09:08:55 AM »
Have a look at the Green Tech section on Whirlpool: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/143, as there are quite a few people asking the same sort of question eg https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2467813
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2016, 11:55:58 PM »
Don't know why they are bothering building wind farms if it doesn't work in Australia.....
Anyhowse, I'm just giving the OP something to throw into the mix.

Commercial wind farms are very selective of sites and with 40M long blades they need to be at least 30M above anything on the ground which is why you see those >70M high towers stuck on top of bald hills. Even if your city or town has suitable wind (my city Adelaide doesn't as the State Govt tested them atop CBD office towers), you try getting a suitable height above your roof apex, domestic turbine tower past your Council. Even if you could it would be beggar thy neighbour policy due to the need to space such turbines.

By the way, last year Australia's mainland wind farms produced virtually no wind power for nearly 62 hours with only useable wind available in Tasmania. So much for thinking geographic diversity would be the cure-all for fickle wind power.

PS: Bear in mind here with large commercial wind turbines they don't operate below 5M/sec wind and they actually consume power from the grid but it's something the industry won't release figures on for the obvious-
http://www.aweo.org/windconsumption.html
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 12:13:11 AM by prodigyrf »
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2016, 12:24:37 AM »
Thought this was about a domestic green energy system?
This local Perth mob have a wind turbine design ideally suited to domestic use, but red tape means they are not worrying about the domestic market yet.
http://www.windpods.com/index.html
They have branched out into Asia and the USA. Roof top installation is ideal as the roof gable compresses the wind. They are also inserting them into of buildings, walls, bridges etc, anywhere wind is compressed to maximize the potential energy.
Here in the west they would be ideal.
Hybrid solar and wind is the way of the future, just need to get the regulators to take the hand brakes off. Its very difficult to get domestic approval for a wind turbine installation here in the west, even if they are non intrusive. I can understand the reluctance of allowing traditional wind turbines in suburbia, but a blanket ban on them is stupid.
Its not too often there's no wind or no sun in sunny (and windy) WA.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 12:33:16 AM by glenm64 »