Author Topic: Diesel heaters  (Read 6755 times)

Offline Stewart

• Tent User
    • Camping with a Cocktail
Re: Diesel heaters
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2019, 05:12:37 AM »
Thanks everyone. We have just ordered a cheap diesel heater from an Australian supplier. We will use your information to make up a portable heater to take on our trip to Lake Eyre in July. It should keep us nice and warm when we free camp.
Prado 150 and Cub Supamatic Escape
https://www.campingwithacocktail.com/

Offline Poita

• Swag User
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2019, 04:18:42 PM »
Works for me  ;D ;D

That's a 5kw isn't it? Don't you roast? 2kw is heaps for a soft floor!

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2019, 05:51:21 PM »
That's a 5kw isn't it? Don't you roast? 2kw is heaps for a soft floor!
There's talk that a 5 kw running on low is quieter than a 2kw running on a higher setting, I don't know for sure tho only going off things I read on the internet

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2019, 06:23:39 PM »
And the 5kw is actually cheaper than the 2kw now!

Offline Poita

• Swag User
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2019, 06:35:55 PM »
On low they tend to carbon up real bad though.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2019, 06:39:18 PM »
On low they tend to carbon up real bad though.
which is why if you watch the YouTube series on them that I think is linked in this thread earlier, the guy says to every so often run them flat out for 15 minutes to clean them out.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2019, 09:13:29 PM »
which is why if you watch the YouTube series on them that I think is linked in this thread earlier, the guy says to every so often run them flat out for 15 minutes to clean them out.

Is that "every so often" once a day, every time you use it or once an hour ??
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2019, 12:04:46 AM »

Here are the videos, more diesel heater info than you can point a stick at, he mentions it somewhere in the 4+hrs of video's he has done on them  ;D
https://www.youtube.com/user/johnmck1147/videos

But if you start a video 1 it won't take to long.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 12:09:34 AM by tryagain »
The following users thanked this post: Stewart

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2019, 06:40:21 AM »
i forgot the time period which is why I wrote that....lol...think it was once a month but the video above will tell you.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2019, 06:42:30 AM »
Here are the videos, more diesel heater info than you can point a stick at, he mentions it somewhere in the 4+hrs of video's he has done on them  ;D
https://www.youtube.com/user/johnmck1147/videos

But if you start a video 1 it won't take to long.

I'm thinking of getting a heater, but watching 4hrs of vids will have to wait.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2019, 07:06:12 AM »
The better units are all automatic and decoke themselves. The Chinese short circuited the tech and released controllable fan speed models without Understanding the basics.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2019, 08:02:27 AM »
I'm thinking of getting a heater, but watching 4hrs of vids will have to wait.

His take is once a month or so, he discusses the issue in the first few minutes of video 1. I guess it would really depend on how much you are using it though, someone who is on the road full-time would be different to someone heading away once or twice a month.

They are $160 shipped for a full kit including the tank, I think it's a no brainer at that price. Once you have one you will probably wonder why you took so long. The first video is worth a watch though before you pull the pin as he discusses controller types etc.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F223486564232

The better units are all automatic and decoke themselves. The Chinese short circuited the tech and released controllable fan speed models without Understanding the basics.

Maybe not choke up as quickly might be more accurate, even then, from my understanding, it would only be an issue if you turned the dosing up disproportionally  to the fan speed.
Do you know of this actually being a widespread issue? Just sounds a little like marketing speak for people trying to justify much higher prices, happy to be proven wrong though..
Each to their own but I think that the possible slight increase in chocking up is probably preferable to having the unit cycle.

Offline BBull

• Tent User
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2019, 09:34:59 AM »
His take is once a month or so, he discusses the issue in the first few minutes of video 1. I guess it would really depend on how much you are using it though, someone who is on the road full-time would be different to someone heading away once or twice a month.

They are $160 shipped for a full kit including the tank, I think it's a no brainer at that price. Once you have one you will probably wonder why you took so long. The first video is worth a watch though before you pull the pin as he discusses controller types etc.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F223486564232

Maybe not choke up as quickly might be more accurate, even then, from my understanding, it would only be an issue if you turned the dosing up disproportionally  to the fan speed.
Do you know of this actually being a widespread issue? Just sounds a little like marketing speak for people trying to justify much higher prices, happy to be proven wrong though..
Each to their own but I think that the possible slight increase in chocking up is probably preferable to having the unit cycle.
I have a cheap 5kw in the KK. the one I have goes through a shut down sequence. I believe it stops it chocking up. Mine is the one with the little LCD screen. I'm not sure the dial type actually have a shut down sequence.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2019, 11:42:57 AM »

I don't know. I approached the owner of the company I bought mine from about running kero/kero mix etc and was told not to waste my time or money on the model I have (snugger). If you go to the 'belief' site they publish warnings about running at low fan speed for too long and to run them flat out before turning off - which mine does automatically.
I don't know how long it takes to clog one, in the northern hemisphere they get run for seasons rather than days on all sorts of mixes. Probably not a huge deal for us guys with camper trailers in QLD where it is going to be lucky to run for 48 hours a year.

Offline Inland_Sailor

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2019, 09:54:04 PM »
What amazes me is the number of these heaters on Ebay. How do you determine which is better than the next on the list?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 09:59:46 PM by Inland_Sailor »