Author Topic: Selling a camper trailer ( or trying to )  (Read 18579 times)

Offline Streetkid

• Tent User
Re: Selling a camper trailer ( or trying to )
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2016, 07:45:03 AM »
I've sold a couple of tinnies through consignment and you basically discuss a realistic dollar figure with consideration of the salesmans cut and when an offer is made you get a phone call saying there's an offer that will put x amount in your hand and you accept it or not. By having something sitting in a yard you get possibly hundreds of potential buyers walking past it instead of hoping to get one or two people ringing you up about it. In jaksters case I reckon his market is mostly going to specifically be chasing that brand of trailer so consignment could be a worthwhile consideration.
Happy Customline owner

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2016, 08:35:00 AM »
There is one other thing that camper trailer and caravan owners have a nasty habit of.

That is getting overly emotionally attached to your camper

Just because you paid 10 for it then put another 20k of mods and time in it does not mean that i am going to pay 30k for your camper.

I don't care if you put a hot tub in it i refuse to pay more for a second had camper when i can get the same model new for the same or cheaper price (yes Jayco and Goldstream owners im looking at you)
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline BrisVegasGolfer

• Tent User
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2016, 02:19:50 PM »
There is one other thing that camper trailer and caravan owners have a nasty habit of.

That is getting overly emotionally attached to your camper

Just because you paid 10 for it then put another 20k of mods and time in it does not mean that i am going to pay 30k for your camper.

I don't care if you put a hot tub in it i refuse to pay more for a second had camper when i can get the same model new for the same or cheaper price (yes Jayco and Goldstream owners im looking at you)

^^ this!

I see the same thing with used Prados.  I don't care if they're highway miles and it's got a bonnet protector and weather shields...  I'm not paying $50+k for your 3 year old GXL with 95,000km on it that's just out of warranty...
2015 Isuzu MU-X

Offline Bullant4x4

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2016, 02:50:15 PM »
Like Grampa's old tools, they just don't make them like they did. Now you by a drill for $20

Campers have come down so much these days and will continue to. With the supply and demand the market is ripe with so cheap deals why would you pay top dollar in something that in today's market won't hold it's value.

I brought a $20,000 one and could replace it 3 times in a lifetime to buying one Kimberly Kamper. Well every 4 years sell it for $5000 I could buy 4 in a lifetime and the new technology that will be added every year, why buy a brick for life :-)

Once you have gone through the teething problems and fixed it up, just as good as.

Don't over capitalize on your campers, they just don't hold their value. I talked to a bloke who paid $24,000 two years ago and can't get $16,000 for it now. Why pay $16,000 secondhand when you can buy a new one, 5yrs warranty and heaps of extras for $20,000

« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 02:54:22 PM by Bullant4x4 »

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2016, 03:24:06 PM »
Quote from: chester ver2.0
it is funny when you see ~2007 models listed amongst the 2013 models..
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2016, 05:30:16 PM »

But they seem to buy them  >:D
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2016, 05:41:40 PM »
.... i refuse to pay more for a second had camper when i can get the same model new for the same or cheaper price (yes Jayco and Goldstream owners im looking at you)

Not quite the same thing, but......

....when we were selling our TrakShak, one caller abused me for asking more for it than we'd paid.
He seemed to think that was unfair, and was quite vocal about it.
Never mind that the price of the new units had taken off in the mean time. I doubt he'd ever get one.
Expecting people to sell at a price that suits your budget will probably lead to disappointment.

We sold the TrakShak a couple of weeks later. It was a classic case of "first to see will buy".... ;D

:cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2016, 09:34:11 PM »
sold a Travelander SlideOn in the Trading Post . ..   more or less got back the same dosh that I had bought the thing for . ...

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline Next Chapter

• Swag User
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2016, 06:52:14 AM »
I just bought a full Aussie made 'River gum' with extras 2 years old hardly used for 4k, their 9k + new so theyve taken a big hit. Would much rather a 2nd hand Aussie made one than a brand new import!

Offline MyJGC

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2016, 09:27:58 PM »
I think I found your add on caravan and camping sales.. I sold a Johnnos evolution, spent a lot of time on the photos but I found the extras I offered helped get a reasonably quick sale as others have suggested.

From memory I also included the fridge, solar panels, hot water (which it came with anyway) and all my extensive electrical mods... I also cleaned the thing extensively and repainted the drawbar to remove all the stone chips, spent a weekend or 3 getting it 'sale ready' It certainly helped..

I've just bought a new camper, hopefully it will be at least 20 years before the full caravan is required and another sale is required.

Best of luck with your sale.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 09:30:20 PM by MyJGC »
A 4WD, camper and other stuff