Author Topic: Info re Geehi  (Read 3598 times)

Offline McAbouts

• Soft Floor Camper User
Info re Geehi
« on: January 11, 2013, 09:07:10 PM »
Hi all,

We are off to Geehi for the first time, in just over a week. Thought I might ask for advice from all you well traveled folk. Our plan is to cross the Swampy Plains river at Geehi Flats and camp at either Beyhrs Flat or Old Geehi hut.

So, first question: how's the river for crossing? Crossing with campers in tow as well.
Are the areas we are looking at camping any good? Any other info would be greatly appreciated on these spots.

Thought we might do a day trip to Tom Groggin and cross the Murray into Victoria. So info on crossing this river and ideas from there would be great. Our 4wd's aren't to fancied up yet, so couldn't be too tricky. Just enough to give us a taste would be good.

I'm sure there are some of you out there that have spent time there and we will really appreciate anything you have to offer.

Cheers
Louise :D
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 03:15:58 PM by McAbouts »
2002 Prado
2010 Trackabout Deluxe Tourer

Offline McAbouts

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Info re Geehi
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 05:55:16 AM »
Thought I might bump this up to see if there are any bites.

Must be so good that everyone who has been wants to keep it a secret.

Cheers
Louise :D
2002 Prado
2010 Trackabout Deluxe Tourer

Offline DSzuke

• Sleeping Bag User
Info re Geehi
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 07:29:47 AM »
It's a great spot to camp anywhere there so you will easily find a nice patch.

I haven't been down there for over a year but the river crossings around the Geehi have never been a problem. Usually they are less then knee height.

The Murray River crossing should be approached with some caution but definitely doable with a standard 4wd.

It is generally deeper and faster flowing so have a good walk through and consider the need for a water blind and all the other river crossing prep.

Have a great time. I wish I could get down there!

ps: I forgot add.... If you uTube for the Murray crossing you will get a good idea of what to expect.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 07:31:44 AM by DSzuke »

Offline MR MAC GU

• Soft Floor Camper User
Info re Geehi
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 07:49:00 AM »
We towed an Aussie swag camper to Geehi hut back in 2009 with no dramas. It was the middle of winter though and some of the tracks were very muddy and slippery but wouldn't be as bad in summer.

Bloody freezing when we went...lol

Always planned on going back in the warmer months as it is a great spot.

Sent from Behind you...BOO
"I live with Fear everyday and sometimes She lets me RACE"

The Motley Crew 4x4 and Social Club of Australia inc
www.themotleycrew.com.au

2004 GU Patrol ST Wagon with all the good touring gear.
"Lifted Locked and Loaded"

2010 Kimberley Platinum Extreme with "extras"

Offline xvprado

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 08:37:37 AM »
Hi

I reckon the best camping spots at Geehi are right up the back near the stone hut, that means about 4 (I think) river crossings. Normally they are pretty low and at the moment the Murray crossing is the lowest i have seen it, so should be no problem. Geehi is a great spot and the further back you go, the less people, which is good. If you do get up the back go over to the river there is a little straight stretch with a small sandy beach, about 20 metres up from there is ususally a favourite spot for trout in the shadows on a hot day, but only if there isnt a lot of noise and splashing going on in the water

If you havent crossed at Tom Groggin before, always best to watch someone else first, there generally is a bit of traffic through there. as a basic description, when you come down the ramp on the NSW side you enter the river going with the flow and you will see the crossing path in a large arc across the river, so you exit the river virtually square on, the river is deepest on the NSW side and last week was little more that a puddle in the middle maybe 300mm deep, conditions do change rapidly, but with no recent rains i would doubt it is any different. BUT river crossings always have to be approached with caution, if in doubt pick a warm day and hop in and walk it  8)

Also, on the drive down from the Alpine way to the crossing you will see lots of kangaroos, if youre there at the right time and have a little bit of patience, they will hand feed without too much encouragement, little kids love this opportunity. I have never seen the larger bucks come over to join in, but if they did, I reckon I wouldnt be hanging about

Have fun and enjoy, its a great part of the world

Glen
Glen
Hawkesbury Valley, Sydderney
2015 200 TD VX & Mountain Trail LXV4.7

Offline discoteddy

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • If in doubt, grab a handful of 2nd gear.
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 04:39:40 PM »
Loiuse,

We spent just short of a week at Geehi over New Years . Both crossings of the Swampy Plains river were easy, no more than knee deep. We towed a loaded up Trackabout through easily. All the camp sites you mention are awesome, we probably prefer Keebles Hut. As your planning we did a day trip through Tom Groggin up to Davies Plains Hut. The Murry River crossing was shallow, better to crossing in an arc heading down river . It becomes clearer when you see it. Buckwong Creek was just above knee height, just a lovely dusty drive, you'll love it!

Cheers ,

Disco teddy.
2015 Goldstream Storm lifted with Vehicle Components best!, 2021 Enter the D Max.

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 08:19:19 AM »
Crossings were easy over Christmas, I was able to ride both on the mountain bike on several occasions when out and about.

GG

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 08:31:22 AM »
None of the crossings around Geehi would pose a problem, possibly ever?

The Murray crossing, as described is also not too difficult but the better (shallower) line is to arc downstream from either of the entry/exit points, where it generally lower than sill height with a firm rocky base. If you were to drive it directly from entry to exit it can come over the bonnet.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 08:52:51 AM »
None of the crossings around Geehi would pose a problem, possibly ever?

Two years ago it was a different story, I had the Patrol rear lift up while crossing the first one, a scary moment for a moment

GG

Offline discoteddy

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • If in doubt, grab a handful of 2nd gear.
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 10:30:48 AM »
Two years ago it was a different story, I had the Patrol rear lift up while crossing the first one, a scary moment for a moment

GG

Me to GG, late last April we had the same thing happen. Especially if there is snow melt!!

Cheers,

Disco teddy .
2015 Goldstream Storm lifted with Vehicle Components best!, 2021 Enter the D Max.