Author Topic: NRL 2018  (Read 32901 times)

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: NRL 2018
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2018, 09:06:21 AM »
not so sure about that...

NSW had all the momentum from game 1, at home, with QLD having injury concerns (particularly Morgan) and QLD not having a decent goal-kicker, and they still only won by 4...

i think QLD are closer than some think...

yes, we had the once in a generation run, but the dynasty calls from south of the border are a bit premature...

let's see them win a couple of series in a row first...  NSW have a good team, no doubt, and plenty young enough, but that's not all it takes to win consistently, especially in origin football...

Ponga is a far better player then Morgan, everyday of the week
Bought a what?
Researching my next camper

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2018, 09:21:14 AM »
Ponga is a far better player then Morgan, everyday of the week

so, when slater retires, put ponga at fullback and have morgan as the utility...

morgan is a better halves player (when in form)... ponga would be wasted in the halves... needs to roam like he did last night...

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2018, 09:24:46 AM »
I still dont understand (going back to the 80's when I understood NRL)

... a blokes progress is stopped... Ref calls Held - that should be tackled.

But the ref calls tackled/ held get off him held get off him held get off him held get off him held get off him held get off him - yet they still push him to the ground.. That used to be a penalty for time wasting - and only seems to be *SOMETIMES* now ???

Yet there was one penalty that Qld got in the second arf on far touchline from cameras - where apparently the ref called held and within 2 seconds the player on the ground with the ball still threw it backwards as he didnt think he was held... yet it was a penalty to Qld for not getting off him or something weird.. I hate to say it, even had Gus Gould stumped.

Get rid of scrums - ****in pointless, just make it a handover.

Also whats with all the tripping? 2-3 times in the 1 game...?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2018, 10:22:19 AM »
so, when slater retires, put ponga at fullback and have morgan as the utility...

morgan is a better halves player (when in form)... ponga would be wasted in the halves... needs to roam like he did last night...
To be honest I don't rate Morgan at all. Whether slater retires or not I wouldn't have Morgan anywhere in my team.
Bought a what?
Researching my next camper

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #79 on: June 25, 2018, 11:18:59 AM »
As with game one, I didn’t bother to watch game two...actually clean forgot it was on until 30 minutes into the game (i channel surfed during watching Ronny Dahl and Expedition Overland on YouTube and saw the game on). The clown commentary team members that channel 9 have (Gould is a stand out) and the modern rule interpretations have killed the game for me now. I would have been peeved years ago if NSW won a series or a game even, care factor is pretty low right now about it...might watch the NRL this weekend, then again I might not. Tonga versus Samoa held more interest for me on the weekend for some reason then Origin did, and i’m a born and bred Aussie with no islander heritage, so work that out.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #80 on: June 25, 2018, 12:22:27 PM »
Well done to the Blues, But One Origin change I would love to see happen is,  if the game is in NSW there should be an all NSW commentary team, The same if the game is held in OLD an all QLD commentary team, As I can not stand listening to The NSW commentary team dueing Origin and Id would say NSW supporters would think the same way, Craig
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 01:18:31 PM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #81 on: June 25, 2018, 02:52:02 PM »
not so sure about that...

NSW had all the momentum from game 1, at home, with QLD having injury concerns (particularly Morgan) and QLD not having a decent goal-kicker, and they still only won by 4...

i think QLD are closer than some think...

yes, we had the once in a generation run, but the dynasty calls from south of the border are a bit premature...

let's see them win a couple of series in a row first...  NSW have a good team, no doubt, and plenty young enough, but that's not all it takes to win consistently, especially in origin football...

I am not saying that NSW is about to begin a dynasty, but that QLD's is dead. I think QLD more lost 2014 than NSW won but this series was won by NSW.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #82 on: June 25, 2018, 03:16:21 PM »
Well done to the Blues, But One Origin change I would love to see happen is,  if the game is in NSW there should be an all NSW commentary team, The same if the game is held in OLD an all QLD commentary team, As I can not stand listening to The NSW commentary team dueing Origin and Id would say NSW supporters would think the same way, Craig
I'd be happier to see RoOy and HG doing the Festival of the Boot again. Fuk all bias either way then
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2018, 04:21:05 PM »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2018, 05:02:08 PM »
Great Idea love them two funny buggers,
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2018, 05:50:50 PM »
I'd be happier to see RoOy and HG doing the Festival of the Boot again. Fuk all bias either way then
another bunch of clowns I can't stand listening to....have to turn Triple M off on Saturday mornings when those 2 dribblers come on.

To be honest I don't rate Morgan at all. Whether slater retires or not I wouldn't have Morgan anywhere in my team.
Morgan had a great year last year and deserved all the accolades he got then, but this year he is playing injured and it shows with his lack of decent form. I think from memory he is lined up for surgery already after the end of the season, have seen him nearly drop to the grass in agony after putting a kick up in a game about a month or so ago, he freely admitted before game one he was "managing" his injury to keep playing this season.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 06:15:18 PM by Rumpig »

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2018, 08:20:55 PM »

And when in Melbourne Eddy or silence maybe?

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2018, 09:36:46 PM »
And when in Melbourne Eddy or silence maybe?

Do you mean Eddie Maguire ??  Yep silence would be mandatory !!
I'm surprised the Morans didn't murder him yrs ago....maybe they were too preoccupied with the Williams !!  ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Fox67

• Swag User
« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2018, 10:38:45 PM »
I watch it with no volume, just make up my own commentary and as a sore loser I turned the TV off 1 second before the game finished so I didn't have to listen to Gould gloat.
Talk of a Blues dynasty premature, I think these teams will trade series wins for a while now. Ben Hunt appears to be a myth, made look good by playing next to Garreth Widdop at the Dragons.
2023 RAV4 Cruiser Hybrid
2019 Landcruiser 200 VX TTD
Tent and some camping gear
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2018, 04:55:14 PM »
Dragons and Storm game was one of the most entertaining Ive seen. Free flowing and high scoring. Cant ask for more than that.
Cam Smith is one of the greatest play makers ever.
There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #91 on: July 06, 2018, 07:31:33 PM »
Dragons and Storm game was one of the most entertaining Ive seen. Free flowing and high scoring. Cant ask for more than that.
Cam Smith is one of the greatest play makers ever.
big scoreline differance for the Storm over last week game with the Roosters

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2018, 10:49:42 PM »
Rabbitohs are the real deal.
Burgess boys were strong. Sam was sensational. Cook was good.
It was a great game to watch. Storm played well but the Bunnies were great to watch

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #93 on: August 08, 2018, 04:09:43 PM »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #94 on: August 08, 2018, 09:13:23 PM »
Those of us outside of Sydney will find no surprises in this story....

“HE hasn’t coached for 20 years. If anyone’s old school he has to be in that conversation.”

Anthony Griffin is talking about Phil Gould, arguably one of rugby league’s most divisive figures but certainly one of its most powerful.
By the time the sacked Panthers coach finishes his extraordinary tale of betrayal at the hands of Gould, it’s hard to see how anyone in the game will look at Gus the same way again.

“I’m not here to bullShit. I’ve been around a long time,” Griffin says. “I’m telling my side of the story because I think I have done an exceptional job with that club. And unless I set the record straight I will get no credit for it.”
And set it straight he does. If you’re a Panthers fan, put the kettle on and get comfortable. If you’re Phil Gould, put the phone on aeroplane mode.

When Griffin arrived at Penrith from Brisbane in 2015, he says, “the joint looked like a country fishing club. There were short players, fat players, tall players. The place was KFC and a run around the oval. Gus warned me that it would be nothing like I was used to at the Broncos.
The biggest thing I could see at Penrith that Gus could not see at the time was the ability to build a team from the inside out. He had been recruiting bottom eight players. He sat back and said ‘go for your life.’ We brought Nathan (Cleary) in, Fisher Harris, a heap of others and it was all good.”

But Griffin says Gould grew impatient for success and began trying to shape the team’s play around the opposition.
“I look at it as that Sydney mentality. He thinks everything can be fixed with a play. ‘You have to run this play against this mob and that will fix the problem.’ ”
Griffin says Gould’s meddling was “a bit like a father-in-law”.
“I am what I am. In Queensland you learned to build a whole club and recruit well. I’m patient with that and it’s worked. The club is at the next level. When I came in they were playing off for the wooden spoon.”

Contrary to his persona as a fiercely independent thinker, Griffin says Gould can be easily influenced.
“If someone rings him from outside the club and says one plus one equals three, you have to convince him ‘no, it’s two.’ ”

It was a Saturday night in May and the Panthers did an absolute demolition job on the Dragons to leapfrog the premiership favourites to first spot on the ladder. Nobody saw the 28-2 scoreline coming, a result enhanced by the biggest Panthers Stadium crowd in eight years.
As the club song rang out at full-time, Griffin says he heard not even a murmur of congratulations from Gus.
“It’s the saddest I have ever seen him. We were officially on top of the ladder, having overcome this huge run of injuries earlier in the year, but nothing.
When we lost there was always an inquiry, how had we had failed in our preparation, but there was never any inquiry when we won.”

Griffin says when the Broncos obliterated the Panthers 50-18 at Suncorp Stadium two weeks ago, Gould’s mood was much improved.
“I have never seen him so happy than when Brisbane put 50 on us. And then I’ve never seen him so agitated than when we just beat Manly.”

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #95 on: August 08, 2018, 09:58:18 PM »
Those of us who follow RL will not be surprised.
A coach is sacked for the second time after loosing the support of
1 the club board
2 the club manager
3 the players
4 the assisting coaching staff
Not necessarily all of them but more than one.

Don't doubt the rational behind this.
Unfortunately coaching is no longer old school and some coaches are becoming irrevelant in the modern era. Coach Griffin may well be a bit old school.

Phil Gould has done some good work at the club including the building of a 1st class player academy, telling the NRL that they can stick their assistant grant up their clacker, so they are not in slavery to the NRL, Something that some other clubs wished they could do.
This sacking may not seem a smart move but time will tell.
The one thing about the Panthers is they have deep pockets, rare for a rugby league club owned by the members.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #96 on: August 08, 2018, 11:06:23 PM »
Those of us who follow RL will not be surprised.
A coach is sacked for the second time after loosing the support of
1 the club board
2 the club manager
3 the players
4 the assisting coaching staff

After hearing Griffins side of the story, you may never know who is telling porkies ??

But it's a well known fact that Gould can't stop meddling in the coaching side of things, yet he refuses to do the coaching anymore ??

And even though his son is there, Ivan has rocks in his head if he goes back to the place that sacked him !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2018, 07:29:27 AM »
But it's a well known fact that Gould can't stop meddling in the coaching side of things...

Or origin.

It’ll be a great day for our game when those south of the border finally hear the shouts of “shut up Gus!” coming from up here every year. ;)

When we read about Gus getting sacked the only response will be; wow...... wow..... wow..... wow..... wow..... wow..... wow..... wow... wow.... wow.... wow.... wow....

In true Gus style.. ;D

Offline Banjo16

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The road less travelled
« Reply #98 on: August 09, 2018, 10:26:50 PM »
Just saw Gus interviewed on the footy show, basically he said it's not my fault & I think Anthony is a great guy.
Talk about BS.
Cheers,
Don

PB Challenger
Jayco Starcraft OB

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #99 on: August 10, 2018, 05:46:08 AM »
Just saw Gus interviewed on the footy show, basically he said it's not my fault & I think Anthony is a great guy.
Talk about BS.
thought exactly the same thing....big load of BS I thought, and his channel 9 mates giving him a platform to scream his side of the story from.