Author Topic: Tricky Driveway  (Read 5981 times)

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Tricky Driveway
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2018, 09:46:58 AM »
The other great (not) thing about ratchet jockey wheels is they only ratchet in one direction. Get past the point of resistance and they are just a jockey wheel that clicks as it runs you over. Not ideal on any slope.

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2018, 09:47:16 AM »

If you are going to use a winch. I wouldnt even rely on dynabolts in a what looks like old concrete.

Absolutely.  I'd be making sure it's at least 100mm thick and reinforced.  Eye bolt on a 200mm steel base plate with four Trubolts or Chemsets to spread the load.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2018, 11:54:29 AM »
The other great (not) thing about ratchet jockey wheels is they only ratchet in one direction. Get past the point of resistance and they are just a jockey wheel that clicks as it runs you over. Not ideal on any slope.

Mine will work both forward and back. The lever arm has a 1/2" drive ratchet head, and the wheel has a ratchet lever as well. But it's a pain when you do want to change directions, moving both levers in the opposite directions, especially when on a slope and the load is against the ratchet pawl. Totally agree with the other part of your post though, I've busted a few thongs with mine.  >:(
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2018, 12:04:54 PM »
What have you got as a tow vehicle?

Both mine have manual freewheel hubs, so I put them in L4 when I'm reversing the trailer up the driveway, and it just gives that bit more control over the trailer.
what he said.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2018, 12:52:19 PM »
May or may not be up to the task, but it's only a phone call to find out - https://parkit360.com.au/collections/models-pricing/products/p360hd-4535kg-boat-caravan-mover They're not far from you, so may be able to arrange a site inspection?
They have a few options for power, and can be set up with a brake controller to work the trailer brakes. Bloody expensive though, but they appear to a fair bit better than the average power mover.
I think 1 in 10 is about on their limit, and the driveway in the photo looks steeper than that? Don't measure the amount of fall over the entire length of the driveway, measure it over just the steepest section so you have a true idea of the hill you need to climb.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 01:16:27 PM by Spada »
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline Dingo0163

• The original Aussie mongrel
  • Tent User
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2018, 01:36:01 PM »
I’ve seen a boat winch used and they work great . Keep in mind you might have to make up a couple of extensions for the cable. You might have to stop winching and run the cable out again. If it’s not a remote winch , you might have to extend the controller wire too. Also make up a bar that goes over your jockey wheel so you can steer it.  :cheers:

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2018, 02:26:53 PM »
I'd also rig some chocks that can drag up the drive with the camper so if any of the winch rigging lets go the wheels will hit the chocks and stop.

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2018, 02:30:55 PM »
Have you considered moving house.  ;D
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2018, 04:13:38 PM »
On the right hand side where the lawn, retaining wall and driveway are all the same height do you. Have enough room to put a concrete pad or large paved area that you can drive up to and swing onto, allowing you to unhitch and swing the trailer into the garage on the flat top of the driveway?
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Airport-Andy

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2018, 08:35:08 PM »
I agree with Potsy. Visually it appears that a car could pull to the right even if you had to position some small ramps to allow this to happen. Then dehitch the camper and push into garage with some ratchet mover with a safety winch strap.
Maybe easier then winching the whole driveway?

Offline Kenneth23763

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2018, 12:01:31 AM »
Guys

Some great feedback.
To answer some questions;

*  old house built in 50's car will not fit into garage!
*  camper will only just fit into right hand door.
*  good comments on pillar and I will disregard due to concerns raised.
*  I used to have a 4wd that I would drive up and onto the grass and then decouple the trailer on the driveway.  Not a lot of room for error and you still have to manhandle.
*  The car is a Commodore so still has sufficient power to back up the incline - I hope.
*  I can actually reverse a trailer having plenty of experience on boat ramps and with vans but I was looking for an easier less stress solution.
*  The road is Greythorn Road in Balwyn - now a major thoroughfare.
*  Wife will not consider site works as she doesn't want the front yard turned into a carpark.  4 cars, 1 x camper, 1 x 6x4 and 2 motorbikes she has a point.

I think based upon the collective advice of the forum, especially the warnings about an unsecured trailer on a slope I will just have to pick my times and reverse.  The only Shitty thing is that the wall on the right usually prevents egress form the car unlees it is a 4wd with sufficient clearance - like the pajero that I foolishly got rid of!

I'll report back on Wed and let you know how I went.

Ken
Ken

Paralysis by Analysis.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2018, 02:52:00 PM »
Quote from: Kenneth23763
*  The car is a Commodore so still has sufficient power to back up the incline - I hope.

your gearbox will disown you.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Kenneth23763

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2018, 08:26:50 PM »
Okay

Picked up the 2006 Supermatic Regal from Arch and Ros.
Well used but well looked after unit.

Hooked up and towed very well.

Got home and asked wife to get her mobile phone out and guide me.
Held traffic up one side of traffic for less than a minute and straight up the driveway.it llooked as thoguh most people were okay excpet for the mandatory idiot.
First go okay.  Needed guide and kept it slow.
Car had plenty of power and did not hear any issues with the transmission.

I suppose the incease distance between the draw bar and wheels as opposed to a 6x4 makes things easier.

Thanks for the input a lot of helpful info that hopefully will be of use to others.

The only issue is that I had to exit the car by the passengers oddr due to the wall. 
By this time next year I'll be back in a 4wd so with the extra height everything is okay.
Wifes suggestion to loose 20kgs was not appreciated.

I'll post photos of van over in the cub forum when I set it up later this week!

Ken

Ken

Paralysis by Analysis.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2018, 07:49:09 AM »
Good to hear it all worked out.

A reversing camera on the back of the van would also help make things much easier! 8)
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2018, 10:25:44 AM »

I suppose the increase distance between the draw bar and wheels as opposed to a 6x4 makes things easier.

Yep definitely. Short drawbars on box trailers can be a little touchy. Reversing a truck with a trailer is far easier.

I can fully relate to your situation. Nothing worse than a bunch of spectators waiting and watching as you're trying to reverse something into a tricky spot. Its a bit like reverse parking the big 4wd into a prius spot in the middle of town with a bunch of muppets sitting behind you.

Good outcome and the more you do it the more you will ignore the impatient spectators.

Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline moeite

• Tent User
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2018, 11:14:35 AM »
As an aside. We've got road works happening on our street ATM. Yesterday we watched a B Double being reversed around a street corner and she managed to keep ALL of the trailer wheels where the bitumen meets the concrete gutter. Later I overheard one of the crew asking her how she did it and she replied "practice is the key, years and years of it"
Mark F...
VK3KW
2002 Discovery 2 Td5 auto
2004 Outback Sturt rear fold soft floor
Http://jandmf.com