Author Topic: To Pajero or not to Pajero...  (Read 31251 times)

Offline cruza driver

• ''Custom User Title''
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: To Pajero or not to Pajero...
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2012, 06:45:07 PM »
If you have rear air con a 60lt longrange tank can go in and if not its an 80lt option (I think ;D)
2012 MAZDA BT50 GT AND 2010 OUTBACK EXPANDA

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2012, 08:33:13 PM »
Are you carting kids in the rear?

If so try them in the rear seats.  I was less than impressed with the safety of them as there is a big void between the kid and the shoulder belt.  Hard to describe sadly.  This is one of the main reasons we went with Prado.
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline Sicilianmama

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2012, 08:34:12 PM »
Towing 3 ton on models from NT onward,  ball weight 0 to 2.5 ton max 250kg on ball, 2.5 ton to 3 ton max 180kg on ball ( show me a 3 ton trailer with only 180kg ball weight)

Auto: is awesome especially the tiptronic when towing

7 seats: easily  removed, make for extra storage under floor

Long Range Tank: easily installed on most models  (might be an issue on models with rear aircon)

Recommend: Spare wheel lifter, Minimum of Airbags and/or upgraded rear springs for towing.

Thanks, sorry for the stupid questions again, but I didn't even realize you could get different rated tow balls, so what should I ask for to tow our Jayco Swan?

Also we have thought about adding another fuel tank or a long range fuel tank or whatever they are called, we wouldn't need it for a while though, but is it something that is more cost effective to add when purchasing or is the cost about the same when adding at a later date?
2007 Holden Rodeo with 2012 Jayco Swan Outback :)

Offline Sicilianmama

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2012, 08:35:28 PM »
Are you carting kids in the rear?

If so try them in the rear seats.  I was less than impressed with the safety of them as there is a big void between the kid and the shoulder belt.  Hard to describe sadly.  This is one of the main reasons we went with Prado.

No not in the 3rd row seats, they would just go in the normal 2nd row. The third row is just for convenience, grandparents etc.

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2012, 09:06:27 PM »
A long range tank is something you would have to get done aftermarket - it is not a dealer option.

A Pajero would very easily tow a Jayco Swan - go visit any caravan park and see how many grey nomads use them to tow their tandem caravans.

Offline orejap

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2012, 09:11:36 PM »
If you have rear air con a 60lt longrange tank can go in and if not its an 80lt option (I think ;D)

Yep, 60 litre LRT from LRA is the go.   I have a VRX with rear a/cond & very impressed with the installation.   If you are a member of the Victoria Pajero Club 10% discount.

Offline Sicilianmama

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2012, 09:13:20 PM »
Thanks guys :)

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2012, 09:34:47 PM »
The LRA tank is 58 l with rear Air. It's fantastic when towing, 1000-1200km range. I belive LRA fit them for some dealers in VIC? In NSW I could only get the ARB one prefitted before purchase. There lots of info on the Pajero forum on the tanks and I posted some here n my build thread.
http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=21308.0

You'll love the Paj it has great towing capacity and is a solid unit with the odd MM quirks. Yes it's an oldler design but It's motor/auto combination is ahead of the Prados for power and smoothness but maybe not noise and it's design is newer than a Patrols and much more powerful than the 3l. The sliders go on the monocoque chasis really well  because there is an abundance of rigidity and strength in the monocoque ( not many racing cars or airplanes still built on ladder chassis?)

When my lease is up I will certainly give another one consideration along with the Prado again and maybe a LC (cause I like Toyotas) but the Platinum is just fantastic value.

Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline cruisindub

• Volksing Matilda. We Love Our Matilda.
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2012, 09:44:19 PM »

No not in the 3rd row seats, they would just go in the normal 2nd row. The third row is just for convenience, grandparents etc.
you should try to get the grandparents s in the 3rd row if thhts the intention. They might get in! But might not get out easily.
Why do people ask "What the hell were you thinking?"
Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....

Offline Sicilianmama

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2012, 09:48:52 PM »
you should try to get the grandparents s in the 3rd row if thhts the intention. They might get in! But might not get out easily.

Lol, oh no, I should have been more clear, one grandparent in the front passenger side, one grandparent in second row seat with kids, ME in the third row :)

Offline Sicilianmama

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2012, 09:50:22 PM »
The LRA tank is 58 l with rear Air. It's fantastic when towing, 1000-1200km range. I belive LRA fit them for some dealers in VIC? In NSW I could only get the ARB one prefitted before purchase. There lots of info on the Pajero forum on the tanks and I posted some here n my build thread.
http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=21308.0

You'll love the Paj it has great towing capacity and is a solid unit with the odd MM quirks. Yes it's an oldler design but It's motor/auto combination is ahead of the Prados for power and smoothness but maybe not noise and it's design is newer than a Patrols and much more powerful than the 3l. The sliders go on the monocoque chasis really well  because there is an abundance of rigidity and strength in the monocoque ( not many racing cars or airplanes still built on ladder chassis?)

When my lease is up I will certainly give another one consideration along with the Prado again and maybe a LC (cause I like Toyotas) but the Platinum is just fantastic value.

Your Pajero looks awesome :)

Offline Wandering Tassie

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2012, 07:34:46 AM »
Go with the 3T towbar and if you are concidering a long ranger tank be aware that you will probably need to upgrade the springs.

Trevor

Offline Sicilianmama

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2012, 07:44:36 AM »
Thanks Trevor :cheers:

Offline Bushman

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Apprentice Grey Nomad"
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2012, 03:44:17 PM »
Thanks, sorry for the stupid questions again, but I didn't even realize you could get different rated tow balls, so what should I ask for to tow our Jayco Swan?

Also we have thought about adding another fuel tank or a long range fuel tank or whatever they are called, we wouldn't need it for a while though, but is it something that is more cost effective to add when purchasing or is the cost about the same when adding at a later date?

The towbar should come standard with 3000kg rated towball
You'll barely notice the Swan is behind the PJ  I use to have one, in fact I hardly notice the Expanda behind it   ;D
Most after market accessories are better fitted after, if buying new as it will add to the "Luxury Car Tax" Not only that you can usually get a far better price buying from the supplier ( ARB, TJM etc).
09 Pajero NT  RX Limited  (SOLD)
2010 Jayco Expanda Outback  (SOLD)
2019 Trailblazer LTZ (SOLD)
2014 Golden Eagle Escape (SOLD)
2021 Pajero Sport GLX
2020 Vacationer Roadtracker.

R.I.P "MILO"  The Border Collie 2008-2018
Forever in our hearts 🐾🐾

Offline Mistiqi

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2012, 08:34:11 PM »
Mitsubishi is Toowomba are terrible. My dad just got a second hand one in toowomba. There are not many and they move quickly. Give Mitsubishi in pittsworth a call. Our friends in Warwick got a Triton there and they are really good. One of the biggest dealers in Australia as well.

Offline Sicilianmama

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2012, 08:42:27 PM »
Mitsubishi is Toowomba are terrible. My dad just got a second hand one in toowomba. There are not many and they move quickly. Give Mitsubishi in pittsworth a call. Our friends in Warwick got a Triton there and they are really good. One of the biggest dealers in Australia as well.
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so!

Yeah the Pittsworth dealers are lovely.

Offline Sicilianmama

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2012, 08:44:22 PM »
The towbar should come standard with 3000kg rated towball
You'll barely notice the Swan is behind the PJ  I use to have one, in fact I hardly notice the Expanda behind it   ;D
Most after market accessories are better fitted after, if buying new as it will add to the "Luxury Car Tax" Not only that you can usually get a far better price buying from the supplier ( ARB, TJM etc).
Thanks!
I love all the advice I get from myswaggers you guys are awesome :)

Offline cruisindub

• Volksing Matilda. We Love Our Matilda.
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2012, 04:10:17 AM »
Just buy it. You know you want one! :angel:
Why do people ask "What the hell were you thinking?"
Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2012, 09:40:19 AM »
...just make sure you check those towing specs SMama!
They're in the owners manual 

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline TOPNDR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2012, 12:00:34 PM »
Early on in the GFC, about April '09, I was about to purchase an NT Pajero. Either the VRX or Exceed was my choice. 

If Mrs T hadn't wanted me to put it off, and had she not said, "don't buy a Pajero now, wait a bit and you can get a top of the range LandCruiser". Well, I'd be driving a 3.2 litre, 4 cylinder diesel Pajero instead of my 195 kw, 650 nm of torque, V8, Twin Turbo Diesel VX Land Cruiser.

Love my Land Cruiser!   ;D  but probably would have been quite happy with the Paj but not known what I was missing.   :angel:
'09 VX TTD Cruiser:- 6 speed auto, 650 nm torque plus bling
'09 Australian Off Road Quantum

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2012, 12:08:19 PM »
From the Mitsubishi Website:

The Pajero has a maximum towing capacity of three-tonnes and a maximum tow ball download of 180kg; however, when towing at 2500kg or less - as is the norm in most towing scenarios - the maximum tow ball download increases to 250kg.

:cheers:
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2012, 01:16:03 PM »
Early on in the GFC, about April '09, I was about to purchase an NT Pajero. Either the VRX or Exceed was my choice. 

If Mrs T hadn't wanted me to put it off, and had she not said, "don't buy a Pajero now, wait a bit and you can get a top of the range LandCruiser". Well, I'd be driving a 3.2 litre, 4 cylinder diesel Pajero instead of my 195 kw, 650 nm of torque, V8, Twin Turbo Diesel VX Land Cruiser.

Love my Land Cruiser!   ;D  but probably would have been quite happy with the Paj but not known what I was missing.   :angel:

Your probably missing around $30k- $50k and a whole lot less oil!!  :laugh:

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2012, 01:35:47 PM »
Your probably missing around $30k- $50k and a whole lot less oil!! 

Touche!  - was thinking the exact same thing  ;D

Offline Sicilianmama

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2012, 02:32:56 PM »
Just buy it. You know you want one! :angel:
STOP IT! I don't need much more convincing, however the sensible side of me is saying we probably shouldn't spend the money :(
However we have decided to wait till June and hopefully the delers will be desperate to move stock and give us a better deal? Anyway that's our theory...

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2012, 02:35:47 PM »
Start by putting your current rig on carsales or in the vehicle classifieds here ASAP.

Helps if you have $$$ ready @ bargaining time!

:cheers:
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)