Author Topic: Patrol GVM.  (Read 28317 times)

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Patrol GVM.
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2014, 04:02:37 PM »

Sounds like a lot of people out there are probably overloaded.  Hope they don't have an accident, especially with me.

What a stupid comment, if it worries you that much, stay home then or paint a target on ya truck so we know which one to aim for......................... ;D

My vehicle is well over the factory GVM, yes, I have had a GVM upgrade, yes I do a sustantial amout of remote travel and require all the equipment (safety or otherwise) that I carry however, to keep bleating on here where the majority of people keep within the rules/are aware of their vehicle's GVM or stating that you have had a wee whinge to a mag that you know quite well will not respond in kind, is totally superfluous and self gratifying................................ ::)
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2014, 05:44:39 PM »
What a stupid comment, if it worries you that much, stay home then or paint a target on ya truck so we know which one to aim for......................... ;D

My vehicle is well over the factory GVM, yes, I have had a GVM upgrade, yes I do a sustantial amout of remote travel and require all the equipment (safety or otherwise) that I carry however, to keep bleating on here where the majority of people keep within the rules/are aware of their vehicle's GVM or stating that you have had a wee whinge to a mag that you know quite well will not respond in kind, is totally superfluous and self gratifying................................ ::)

Good stuff, you acknowledge you are over GVM. You know the risks, well done, here's an award  :cup:

The issue is that the majority of people have NFI they are over GVM which is compounded by irresponsible journalism! All they are interested in is you loading up your truck with all the Shyte you think you need or want advertised in their articles.

:cheers:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 05:51:54 PM by Mace »
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2014, 05:53:07 PM »
Quote from: Mace
The issue is that the majority of people have NFI they are over GVM which is compounded by irresponsible journalism! All they are interested in is you loading up your truck with all the Shyte you think you need or want advertised in their articles.
The issue is there is no way around it for most people to become legal....
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline chookduck

• Tent User
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2014, 06:06:02 PM »

The comment about not 'hitting me' is more about me not wanting to be hit by an overloaded vehicle for everybody's sake.  The comment was not meant to be taken as a threat as your response seems to indicate.

To see you have done the right thing in getting a legal GVM upgrade is great.  But, I still believe that many people, blissfully through ignorance and not through just doing an incorrect thing, need to be informed as the potential consequences - financial, personal, etc. could be a rude awakening for all invovled.  Same goes for overloading CTs.  If you have not witnessed a severe structural failure before, it is a sight to behold.

Again, great you have done the right thing.
1994 Landcruiser RV 80 and 2014 Ultimate Xplor, previously a Trak Shak Midway

Offline Footy Shorts Shane

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2014, 06:39:15 AM »
If you have a GVM upgrade, look into it as it is VERY hard to do in QLD. A lot of guys were handing out mod plates for this for years and it all went through QLD Tpt without being noticed.

The modification codes used were for heavy vehicles, which does not cover light vehicles uder 4500kg. You can, in Qld, apply for an exemption from this rule, by submitting your life history to Qld Tpt. Good luck with that.  ;D

A copy from Qld C.O.P.

• A number of the codes in Table 2 make reference to the S section for the alteration of GVM, GCM or ATM. The S section of VSB6 is not to be used on any light vehicle without the express written permission of Transport and Main Roads.

Only the codes listed in Table 2 are acceptable to certify modifications on light vehicles, provided the modification/s meets all requirements of the code (with variations listed in this document) and are performed to good engineering practice. Any heavy vehicle codes not listed above are not permitted to be used for certifying modification to light vehicles without the express written permission of Transport and Main Roads.
To seek such approval, a completed 'Motor Vehicle Modification Application' (Form F1854) must be submitted to TMR for consideration.
With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2014, 08:39:29 AM »
Sorry guys but when you start going to serious places like when you won't see another car for days then keeping the car from breaking becomes more important.
Less weight , particularly keeping it under GVM is not only safter but likely to lead to less breakdowns better handling, able to stop quicker with better braking and a whole host of other issues, to to mention lack of insurance hassles and simply less fuel used.

Its not about doing nothing its about making better choices, every aspect from front end protection thru lights etc can usually be done better without incurring excessive weight or cost  , for example carrying a second spare is an extra 40-60kg, instead of that you can invest 15kg into good comprehensive tyre tools and repair stuff so that you can repair a dozen tyres and not be stuffed when a
second spare goes down - and your 40kg in front.

Hi Robin

Only just saw your post.  You will never have any luck with this type of argument on vehicle related forums as it is a little too abstract and the culture is too far entrenched.

The bullbar one is a perfect example. It makes you less safe in a modern 4wd yet the fallacy continues that 'it saved them'.

My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2014, 09:07:16 AM »

The bullbar one is a perfect example. It makes you less safe in a modern 4wd yet the fallacy continues that 'it saved them'.

Sigh............... ::)
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2014, 10:56:44 AM »

Where abouts do you go in the Pilbra mate
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Topender

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2014, 11:29:56 AM »
Hi Robin

Only just saw your post.  You will never have any luck with this type of argument on vehicle related forums as it is a little too abstract and the culture is too far entrenched.

I am an Australian 4x4 driver I have the right to fit a Bullbar.........Sounds a bit like I am an American and we have the right to carry guns.  Tongue in cheek  >:D

Dave
Nissan X-trail TL dci & 2012 Jayco Outback Swan

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2014, 12:47:56 PM »
Where abouts do you go in the Pilbra mate

Not just the Pilbra..... 8)

I'm regurlary in the Great Vic Desert, but this year will be spending a bit of time in the Gibson, Great Sandy and the little Sandy........

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2014, 01:36:32 PM »

Explain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2014, 02:19:23 PM »
Explain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did $15k worth of damage after hitting a roo...............WITH a bull bar! My vehicle was drivable, and got me safely home. Irrespective of how late a model vehicle you drive, a bullbar WILL save your skin in an animal strike.

Oh, that's right, all livestock including wildlife live behind fences.............. ::)

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2014, 02:34:55 PM »
$15k worth of damage with a bull bar fitted?

How freakin fast were you travelling?
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2014, 03:24:23 PM »
Patrol GVM

Great
Vehicle
Mate
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2014, 03:29:29 PM »
$15k worth of damage with a bull bar fitted?

How freakin fast were you travelling?

Cruise was set at 97km/h. Hit a Big Red, bent the ARB bar, grill, headlight, bonnet, guard (and inner), HID driving lights, winch (yep, the roo pushed the bash plate up and broke the housing on the winch) and cracked the alloy rim (when I went over the carcass).

Yep, scary hit and if no bullbar, I would have been waiting a few days for the next vehicle........

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2014, 04:20:43 PM »
Cruise was set at 97km/h. Hit a Big Red, bent the ARB bar, grill, headlight, bonnet, guard (and inner), HID driving lights, winch (yep, the roo pushed the bash plate up and broke the housing on the winch) and cracked the alloy rim (when I went over the carcass).

Yep, scary hit and if no bullbar, I would have been waiting a few days for the next vehicle........

Horses for courses etc, and we all are free to make our own choices however, IMO cruise can be 'problematic' where sight lines are insufficient to allow time to respond to changed conditions...
For example:
*  un-fenced roads;
*  road-side growth close to road, which can hide wildlife / feral animals;
*  gravel etc roads, where wash-outs can easily destroy vehicles, as per an earlier post in this thread.

When using the right foot decelleration is at least momentarily quicker.
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2014, 05:05:51 PM »

One very dark night on the Hume Freeway at Wandong, I hit a stray cow at 110km/h. Had a '93 Paj with bullbar.
All surprisingly uneventful inside the car, and we drove home.

Six weeks earlier we had an XF wagon. The result would have been a bit different.
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2014, 05:13:20 PM »
Horses for courses etc, and we all are free to make our own choices however, IMO cruise can be 'problematic' where sight lines are insufficient to allow time to respond to changed conditions...
For example:
*  un-fenced roads;
*  road-side growth close to road, which can hide wildlife / feral animals;
*  gravel etc roads, where wash-outs can easily destroy vehicles, as per an earlier post in this thread.

When using the right foot decelleration is at least momentarily quicker.

And lift off oversteer........... ::)

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2014, 08:09:27 PM »
And lift off oversteer........... ::)
How does moving the right foot from accelerator to brake cause oversteer?

Is this a Patrol 'thing'?
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2014, 09:27:07 PM »
I did $15k worth of damage after hitting a roo...............WITH a bull bar! My vehicle was drivable, and got me safely home. Irrespective of how late a model vehicle you drive, a bullbar WILL save your skin in an animal strike.

Oh, that's right, all livestock including wildlife live behind fences.............. ::)

Hi Dr Evil

Sadly you are incorrect when it comes to the vast majority of new vehicles.  A bullbar spreads the impact load across a wider area of your vehicle reducing the crumple zones efficiency.  In an offset collision, the most common 'head on' style impact, the bullbar robs the vehicle of the ability to crumple as designed.  Now here is the kicker.  Its in the big hits, where the chance of living or dying is in the balance, that the ability of your crumple zones to operate as designed may just save you and the other occupants.  The crumpling of the bumpers, mudguards, inner fenders, bonnet, radiator, fan, fan shroud etc etc all slow down the actual stop that kills you. 

The bullbar prevents this and spreads the load out across the whole front including the opposite chassis rails and you stop quicker.  Not what you want.  Survivability is huge nowadays with crumple zones and airbags and its often the cars that look terribly damaged where the driver has survived due to the crumple zones doing their job.

This is not to say, and I dont suggest it for one minute, that no one should fit a bullbar, it just needs to be thought through.  If in your case a disabled vehicle may be life threatening (thats how I read what you have said) then it makes sense.  If you live in an area where you travel at night and the chances of hitting wildlife is high then again it makes sense. 

However, if you live urban and/or having a disabled vehicle is not a life threatening issue, then the decision does not make as much sense.  A good example is I lived near South West Rocks for 5 years and travelled into Kempsey.  In that time I hit a wallaby that did a bit of damage.  Had I had a bullbar no damage would have occurred.  But had I been in a vehicle accident on the highway then I would have been in a safer position.

Hope that makes sense.  Not talking about banning bullbars or such sillyness.  Just that its worth thinking about, particularly if you have your family in with you.

Cheers

Offline Topender

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2014, 09:34:40 PM »
Hi Dr Evil

Sadly you are incorrect when it comes to the vast majority of new vehicles.  A bullbar spreads the impact load across a wider area of your vehicle reducing the crumple zones efficiency.  In an offset collision, the most common 'head on' style impact, the bullbar robs the vehicle of the ability to crumple as designed.  Now here is the kicker.  Its in the big hits, where the chance of living or dying is in the balance, that the ability of your crumple zones to operate as designed may just save you and the other occupants.  The crumpling of the bumpers, mudguards, inner fenders, bonnet, radiator, fan, fan shroud etc etc all slow down the actual stop that kills you. 

The bullbar prevents this and spreads the load out across the whole front including the opposite chassis rails and you stop quicker.  Not what you want.  Survivability is huge nowadays with crumple zones and airbags and its often the cars that look terribly damaged where the driver has survived due to the crumple zones doing their job.

This is not to say, and I dont suggest it for one minute, that no one should fit a bullbar, it just needs to be thought through.  If in your case a disabled vehicle may be life threatening (thats how I read what you have said) then it makes sense.  If you live in an area where you travel at night and the chances of hitting wildlife is high then again it makes sense. 

However, if you live urban and/or having a disabled vehicle is not a life threatening issue, then the decision does not make as much sense.  A good example is I lived near South West Rocks for 5 years and travelled into Kempsey.  In that time I hit a wallaby that did a bit of damage.  Had I had a bullbar no damage would have occurred.  But had I been in a vehicle accident on the highway then I would have been in a safer position.

Hope that makes sense.  Not talking about banning bullbars or such sillyness.  Just that its worth thinking about, particularly if you have your family in with you.

Cheers

100% on the money in my opinion.

Dave
Nissan X-trail TL dci & 2012 Jayco Outback Swan

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2014, 07:15:47 PM »
gee thanks dave!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline swanny

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lets go Camping......!!!!!!!
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2014, 11:06:38 AM »
Bugger....just thru my pootrol over the weight bridge at our local dump, and she is over...3.2T >:( >:(, prob still have 200/300kg ?? of gear that I would throw in including family before heading off, TBH I had my suspicions given how its set up, and how we tour.

Im prob no different to others I guess, but the thing is I now know...time to try and do something about it.

Anyone point me in the right direction, im NSW, the veh has, heavy duty sus (lifted 2 inches), rear towers strengthened, air bags, castor done,

If you guys know of anyone let me know.

Regards Swanny   :cheers:

Offline ATC

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2014, 12:39:26 PM »
Bugger....just thru my pootrol over the weight bridge at our local dump, and she is over...3.2T >:( >:(, prob still have 200/300kg ?? of gear that I would throw in including family before heading off, TBH I had my suspicions given how its set up, and how we tour.

Im prob no different to others I guess, but the thing is I now know...time to try and do something about it.

Anyone point me in the right direction, im NSW, the veh has, heavy duty sus (lifted 2 inches), rear towers strengthened, air bags, castor done,

Have a chat to Ultimate Suspension.
I'm looking for a GVM upgrade on my BT-50, they can do one that is legal in NSW, but still have to add more Ultimate Suspension parts to my new Ultimate Suspension + get an Engineers report.

Rumor is that the other states will respect the NSW approved mod - but stand to be corrected (it'll take a while as the missus & daughter are still telling me everything I do wrong).

In my case I'm looking at itso that if I go over GVM then it's covered.
Had a mate who's dealer raised a stink about GVM with his truck, not worth the grief.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 12:41:40 PM by ATC »

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2014, 02:49:14 PM »

read the previous page.. bout $3000-3500
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home