Author Topic: Hey everyone.  (Read 7079 times)

Offline SNAFU

• Learning the Ropes
Hey everyone.
« on: April 10, 2016, 09:27:14 PM »
Hi all,

New here and new to camper trailers in general. Came across the forum whilst doing research. Currently looking into picking up a camper trailer but I suppose I should write a little about myself first. Live in Brissy, married with a few kids. Work too much and don't get out as often as we would like. I have a Hilux with more mods and gear than you can poke a stick at primarily focussed around heading bush for hunting and camping trips.

This hectic work/life situation is what has resulted in looking at a camper trailer. Heading away for a weekend is a PITA with packing and loading gear followed by setting up then packing up yada yada yada.

Everyone here already has come to realise the advantage of having something that can be left loaded up for the most part and that is easy to setup and pack up.

I've been looking at a very broad range of campers from hard floor (rear and front folding) to the various versions of soft floors too. I have ruled out a hard floor rear fold for the most part because with the kids etc I feel it's cramped and not the best suited. I like the front fold designs but the 4.5 to 5m long trailers that are pretty heavy are putting me off a little.

I love the 2016 partiot X1 design as it's somewhat modular in that if I go on a hunting trip alone or with my young bloke I can get away without the need to set up the kids room but have it for when the whole family is together. That said $35-40 is out of what I currently would like to spend. I have seen the X2 and will check one out soon. If it really stands out as the best option I might stretch the budget a little.

Ideally I would like to spend sub $25k. The drifta DOT 6 is another cool trailer but the mrs doesn't like it because there really isn't any room for the kids and with 2 of them being under 4 a completely separate tent like and Oztent isn't the best option.

I'm currently leaning towards the DOT 7 camper. It looks to have enough room without being over the top and the kitchen looks really nice with lots of bench space.

Does anyone here have any experience with the DOT 7 ?? I want something that sets up easily with minimal fuss (again part of why I like the new patriot tent design) will the leaf springs on the DOT be an issue compared to lots of the others around that seem to be running independent trailing arm suspension?

Sorry for the multitude of questions but with such a large number or manufacturers and designs out there it can be a bit much to sift through initially. I would prefer to stick with an Aussie company and support local manufacturing if possible.

I look forward to getting to know some of you better and appreciate your time with any suggestions or input you have.

Cheers

SNAFU (Andy)

KingBilly

Re: Hey everyone.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 09:52:19 PM »
G'day Andy and welcome to myswag.  Good luck in your search for a camper trailer.

Is there really much difference between setting up an Oztent adjoining the CT's awning and a seperate kid's room added onto the awning?  Would suggest the Oztent would go up quicker and easier.

Happy camping
KB

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 09:58:29 PM »
Welcome Andy. Looking forward to your contributions.

Don't fret the leaf/independant thing. Lots of other considerations should come ahead of that one.

Have you had a look in the camper classifieds? There are plenty of quality campers there that would suit a family.

eg http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=45000.0

:cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline sol

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 05:12:13 AM »
G'day and welcome Andy.
Nice intro mate and good luck with the camper trailer search. :cup:

:cheers:
Make everyday count!!!
2015 Holden Colorado 7
New Age Manta Ray 16'6 Deluxe

Offline tracker

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If you can throw a ball...Be able to catch one !!!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 05:29:14 AM »
G'Day Andy,

Welcome to this forum....Hope you enjoy your stay here....lot's of advise here .

Cheers Tracker.
Toyota Prado....- ( Fantasy F3SL Hybrid  Van)

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 05:39:37 AM »
G'day and welcome to the forum. This might interest you

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=47715.msg813093#msg813093

There is few Drifta Dot owners on the forum. Here is one thread

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=47715.msg813093#msg813093

Cheers

Shane

Offline Aaron Schubert

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • 4WDing Australia
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 07:54:18 AM »
Welcome to the forum mate

Aaron
My Isuzu Dmax

Check out my blog at 4WDing Australia

Offline SNAFU

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 12:06:42 PM »
Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Kingbilly, I agree that a separate 30 second tent isn't difficult but the wife doesn't like that setup with the young kids she says she feels too detached from them. Having them in a different room is ok but she isn't fond of them being in a separate tent at the moment she wants the kids area attached to ours.

I have looked second hand but it's often difficult because you're getting the setup someone else wanted not necessarily what you want. That said if something that was pretty close popped up I would certainly consider it.

Offline Jaysea

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • To go where I have never been
    • My 4WD Site
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 10:26:29 PM »
Gday Andy.

Everyone will have a different opinion and each will be correct as the choice of camper is a very individual thing.  We went for the Adventure Camper as we had three kids so hard floor out, didn't want large soft floor due to set up, so was a good compromise .... Plus wife loved the size of the kitchen.

Good luck on your search.
Jaysea

2012 Prado GXL + Adventure Camper

My build: http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=17776.0
My photos & travels: www.lensontheroad.com
My facebook: http://tinyurl.com/k2haolg

Offline Matt211181

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 02:54:16 PM »
G'day Andy

Sounds like you're going through a similar selection process as us (myself, wife + 2 small kids) at the moment - so I'd be interested to hear how you go....

I think we have considered just about everything available out there in about the <$30k price bracket, and for us, we're leaning towards the DOT 6. I love how light and compact it is, and the great storage which can be easily accessed both when the camper is packed up or when it's set up....and I don't think I've seen a better camp kitchen setup than the Drifta!

We try to do a fair bit of beach camping, and so weight is a major factor in our selection. Just last weekend I was at Main Beach at Straddie, and saw a guy get bogged trying to get up a reasonably simple exit. He was towing a Jayco Freedom pop-top (reckon Tare would have been about 1100-1200kg) with a Landcruiser, got stuck on the exit and couldn't go forwards or reverse. He had to winch up the exit. Admittedly, that could have had a lot to do with incorrect tyre pressures etc - but seeing all that hassle just illustrated to me the importance of trailer weight - and trying to minimise it where possible for the trips we do

The sticking point (for us) with the DOT 6 is definitely the sleeping area in the roof-top tent, and lack of area to get changed. However, I think putting the walls up around the tent awning area (which by watching the videos, simply clips onto the awning and should only take 5 minutes) would provide an area to get changed. In regards to the sleeping area - while the kids are little, I think we could all fit up in the tent. I figure by the time it gets squishy in the tent, one of them will be old enough to roll out a swag in the downstairs area. Maybe sleeping 1 or 2 of your kids in the downstairs area with the walls up could be an option for you??

I also considered the DOT 7 camper like yourself, but kept coming back to the RTT setup because it's off the ground (packing up dirty tents and ground sheets is an annoyance of mine). We've also considered forward-fold hard floors (able to sleep the kids in the converted dining area), but a lot of them are too heavy for me. Another one to consider is Lifestyle's Breakaway....

Anyway, decisions decisions hey! Good luck in the hunt!

Cheers
Matt

Offline smartyingreen

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 10:17:54 PM »
Welcome Andy.
We went through similar thoughts when we got our camper nearly 3 years ago.  We settled on a Cameron Camper with a concept top and kids room.
We love it as we can setup a small footprint if no kids sleeping in main tent or another couple minutes the kids room is pushed out.
We have solid square axle with leaf springs and shocks and did the cape last year with no dramas.
Certainly suits us with 3 youngins and one you may want to consider.
Aussie owned and built and second hand in your mentioned price range.

Good luck with the hunt, it is good fun, but getting out there is much more.

Smartyingreen.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

Smartyingreen - HZJ105 Land Cruiser + Cameron HD Off Road Unlimited Concept Camper.

Offline Pog

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Insert personal text here...
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 10:28:29 PM »
Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Kingbilly, I agree that a separate 30 second tent isn't difficult but the wife doesn't like that setup with the young kids she says she feels too detached from them. Having them in a different room is ok but she isn't fond of them being in a separate tent at the moment she wants the kids area attached to ours.

I have looked second hand but it's often difficult because you're getting the setup someone else wanted not necessarily what you want. That said if something that was pretty close popped up I would certainly consider it.

I think KB was meaning the 30 second tent would be for the missus.... Kids & dad get the camper! 🍻🍻🍺🍾🍷🍷
2013 Toyota Prado Altitude & Challenge Outback Deluxe Offroad Camper Trailer.
MY PRADO BUILD

Offline Pog

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Insert personal text here...
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 10:33:14 PM »
Anyway, enough shenanigans for now. Welcome to the circus forum.

We have a Challenge Soft Floor camper (made in Adelaide) with a 14'6" tent for our family (3 x kids). The tent is very big (sometimes too big)

Have a good look around, ask plenty of questions, try to sift through the BS, and don't get too excited about the shiney bits.

Good luck with the search.

Pog.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 10:34:54 PM by Pog »
2013 Toyota Prado Altitude & Challenge Outback Deluxe Offroad Camper Trailer.
MY PRADO BUILD

Offline SimpleSi

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2016, 01:31:23 PM »
I would prefer to stick with an Aussie company and support local manufacturing if possible.

How about a Camel at Slacks Creek? Circa $20-25k.

Happy with my Beachcomber Elite SE so far.

Offline SNAFU

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 06:51:46 PM »
G'day Andy

Sounds like you're going through a similar selection process as us (myself, wife + 2 small kids) at the moment - so I'd be interested to hear how you go....

I think we have considered just about everything available out there in about the <$30k price bracket, and for us, we're leaning towards the DOT 6. I love how light and compact it is, and the great storage which can be easily accessed both when the camper is packed up or when it's set up....and I don't think I've seen a better camp kitchen setup than the Drifta!

We try to do a fair bit of beach camping, and so weight is a major factor in our selection. Just last weekend I was at Main Beach at Straddie, and saw a guy get bogged trying to get up a reasonably simple exit. He was towing a Jayco Freedom pop-top (reckon Tare would have been about 1100-1200kg) with a Landcruiser, got stuck on the exit and couldn't go forwards or reverse. He had to winch up the exit. Admittedly, that could have had a lot to do with incorrect tyre pressures etc - but seeing all that hassle just illustrated to me the importance of trailer weight - and trying to minimise it where possible for the trips we do

The sticking point (for us) with the DOT 6 is definitely the sleeping area in the roof-top tent, and lack of area to get changed. However, I think putting the walls up around the tent awning area (which by watching the videos, simply clips onto the awning and should only take 5 minutes) would provide an area to get changed. In regards to the sleeping area - while the kids are little, I think we could all fit up in the tent. I figure by the time it gets squishy in the tent, one of them will be old enough to roll out a swag in the downstairs area. Maybe sleeping 1 or 2 of your kids in the downstairs area with the walls up could be an option for you??

I also considered the DOT 7 camper like yourself, but kept coming back to the RTT setup because it's off the ground (packing up dirty tents and ground sheets is an annoyance of mine). We've also considered forward-fold hard floors (able to sleep the kids in the converted dining area), but a lot of them are too heavy for me. Another one to consider is Lifestyle's Breakaway....

Anyway, decisions decisions hey! Good luck in the hunt!

Cheers
Matt

I've pretty much settled on the Metailian at this point. It is slightly over what I had planned on spending but it includes everything in the price even a 90L national luna fridge and solar panels etc along with a separate kids room and two awnings and walls to fully enclose them if needed in bad weather.

The main reason i'm pretty much set on the Metalian is like the DOT 6 it's modular in that I can set up minimal for an overnight stay or if it's just me and my young bloke on a hunting trip or can spend the little extra time and put up the kids room and awnings etc if the whole clan is with me or i'm staying put for a week or so. But it uses and enclosed camper tent instead of the RTT on the DOT 6.

The tent used on the Metalian is the Howling Moon camper tent which is the exact same tent on the 2016 version of the Patriot it just has their branding on it. It sets up exactly the same way and if you are only setting up the main tent there are no poles needed and it is very quick to set up and pack away.

The value of the included extras really impressed me and it's a very well though out camper. Just organising a few things on my end and placing my order.

Offline Matt211181

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 01:21:42 PM »
Congratulations on the Metalian Andy! I went to have a look at one over the weekend, and I was impressed. Looks quality, and well thought out. Awesome bang for buck

I look forward to hearing how you get on with the new rig!!

Cheers
Matt

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 07:07:09 AM »
Welcome to MySwag Andy

GG

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2016, 07:20:08 AM »
Welcome to MySwag .   Join the crew , Join the Zoo    :cup:                :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust