Author Topic: A View on Australian Towing Laws  (Read 10548 times)

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: A View on Australian Towing Laws
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2019, 04:19:44 PM »
The exact same vehicle with the '96 release was 250kg!!!

What max. Towing on the tojo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2019, 04:51:47 PM »
What max. Towing on the tojo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Braked capacity 3500 kg.
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2019, 01:16:17 PM »
Not related to Oz Towing Laws I know, but just saw this: https://www.motor1.com/news/178276/whipping-trailer-toss-ford-excursion/, & thought I'd share :o

They did speculate that it was due to overload, too much weight too far back & too fast, so seems like a good place to post it!

What got me though (keep watching after the truckie gets out) was the other cars just driving past, 20 seconds after it's all happened ??? :'(
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2019, 03:28:15 PM »
A similar Sprinter Select caravan I looked up has a tare weight of 3027kg with a cargo weight of 1,267kg. The unladen ball weight is 303kg.
The 2019 Ford Explorer seems to have a maximum towing weight of 2,268kg and a maximum ball weight with a WDH of 227kg.
So the entire rig was overloaded before the groceries went in. Then we have God knows how much weight stored down the rear end of the caravan, probably to stop the bum sagging on the tow.
He was passing a semi doing around 110kph. No wonder the tail wanted to wag the dog.
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2019, 04:15:08 PM »
A similar Sprinter Select caravan I looked up has a tare weight of 3027kg with a cargo weight of 1,267kg. The unladen ball weight is 303kg.
The 2019 Ford Explorer seems to have a maximum towing weight of 2,268kg and a maximum ball weight with a WDH of 227kg.
So the entire rig was overloaded before the groceries went in. Then we have God knows how much weight stored down the rear end of the caravan, probably to stop the bum sagging on the tow.
He was passing a semi doing around 110kph. No wonder the tail wanted to wag the dog.
Keith
The turbulence would have been terrific.    Just another reason I,ll never own a wobbly box.  Hope the poor buggers got out of it alright.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2019, 04:47:01 PM »
Keith

Thanks for those figures Keith - so it would appear he was 800kg over before putting anything inside!!!  :o

& pausing the video as they passed the semi, it looks like they've got a washing machine (& other stuff) hanging off the back!!! ???

Hope the poor buggers got out of it alright.

The article did say that apparently everyone was OK ???

But they were definitely lucky in more ways than one - if it had been about 20 sec's earlier, there looked to be about a 50' drop at the side of the road ...
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2019, 04:57:20 PM »
choose the right rig to suit what you tow and towing a van isn't a big deal, especially if the van is set up correctly.....i overtook plenty of trucks and cars without issue with me sitting on 110kph on our recent trip away....choose a vehicle not suitable to towing the van you have and set the van up with big tail weights and that video shows what will happen. There's plenty of people in this country towing big vans with medium sized vehicles, it's a disater waiting to happen IMO.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t
The following users thanked this post: KeithB, Fizzie, Craig Tomkinson

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2019, 10:48:09 AM »
Watching the video the truck was already doing 68mph (109kph) I doubt I would want to overtake, towing a van at that speed.
The following users thanked this post: Fizzie

Offline moeite

• Tent User
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2019, 12:39:52 PM »
Watching the video the truck was already doing 68mph (109kph) I doubt I would want to overtake, towing a van at that speed.

Me either.
The mindset seems to be - it's bigger so therefore it's slower so therefore I MUST overtake it. I see this sort of behaviour a LOT and it really irritates me that they bust a gut to overtake on a blind bend over a crest with double lines and then promptly slow down as soon as the pull in front of the overtaken vehicle....grrrr....
Mark F...
VK3KW
2002 Discovery 2 Td5 auto
2004 Outback Sturt rear fold soft floor
Http://jandmf.com

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2019, 03:45:28 PM »
More a function of craptacular trailer building than tow vehicle. It got out of control all by itself going through the bow wave of air off the truck. The tow car was completely stable for the first couple of oscillations. It would take a pretty long wheelbase tow vehicle to pull that thing back straight.

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2019, 04:37:40 PM »
Keith

It's (supposed to be) a Ford Excursion, not an Explorer, but I think it's a Ford Expedition - so it's a wagon version of a Ford F150, and has a towing limit of upto 9,000lbs (or just under 4,500kg)
Page 28 in here; https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content/dam/brand_ford/en_us/brand/resources/general/pdf/brochures/17RV&TT_Ford_Expedition_Sep7.pdf

I would say also add in the down hill run, and the cutting as problems, as that can cause all manner of problems with wind.
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline hardroad

• Swag User
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2019, 08:58:29 AM »
I bet the first thing they said was "it was towing beautifully and was very stable before this happened!"

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2019, 11:17:02 AM »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2019, 09:59:30 PM »
Well we've got a rare local one towing 2.5T if that's a 19'6"Kingdom Kensington as he realises there's a car coming and he tries to turn in too quick but the van's having none of that and it all goes pear shaped from there-
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/south-australian-couple-survive-caravan-rollover-caught-on-video/news-story/cd0161d09e04ffa23dc7758910b70890
Pretty good McHitch or similar as the car rolls and can't lose the van.  He simply got it wrong thinking he had enough space ahead to overtake and then panicked but given he knows he has to get back in his lane pronto there's no thought of hitting the brake manual boost button to straighten up  :'(
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2019, 05:52:11 AM »
Same high front van style with no cutaway, bow wave off the truck hits it and the rot sets in. That van didn’t look to have a bad wheel base with not too much rear overhang but the double pendulum still kicked pretty hard. I’d be interested to know where the weight was and what the tyre pressures were.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2019, 07:02:41 PM »
This ad just popped up on google.. wonder how much on top ...

With a market leading GVM upgrade of up to 4495 KG these DMW XT200 is the perfect vehicle for tourer or work.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home