Author Topic: CHAINSAW STORAGE WHILST TRAVELLING.  (Read 26631 times)

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
CHAINSAW STORAGE WHILST TRAVELLING.
« on: October 18, 2010, 06:47:05 PM »
I'm interested in ideas for the storage of chainsaws whilst travelling/touring.  I'd prefer something that I could store my saw in, as well as bar oil, premix petrol, 2-stroke oil, and any other bit and pieces that go with chainsawing (including safety gear of course).

I have seen the moulded cases, however don't like these as they would be a PITA to pack (I like square type containers).  I'm also not keen on the cases with the bar hanging out the side.

I was thinking along the lines of a square plastic case, or even a bag of some discription.

Also, does everyone who carries a chainsaw, pack it with the bar and chain attached to the saw, or do a few of you travel with the bar and chain separate?

Please include pics if possible.  :worthles:

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
Re: CHAINSAW STORAGE WHILST TRAVELLING.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 07:00:56 PM »
I have one of these, http://www.infrontcampinggear.com.au/category40_1.htm
I find it is great as all my gear fits in and the chainsaw is fully protected. I keep 1L of premix in a trangia bottle,http://www.trangia.se/english/2917.trangia_accessories.html. Which will not spill and keeps the smell inside rather than through the cabin, 1L lasts a far while when we go away for a weekend or so. This bag keeps all in order and you can keep the saw ready for use. I also keep all my safety gear inside it.

GG
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 07:08:12 PM by GGPatrol »

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 07:10:35 PM »
For day or weekend trips I keep the saw intact. For longer trips I take the bar & chain off. I just wrap the powerhead in a towel and keep my fuel mix and bar oil in Primus 1L fuel bottles. I have a sports bag which holds my PPE, sharpening kit and wedges etc.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 07:11:39 PM »
I was thinking that a space case might be the go. They're lockable and also they don't scream "here is my chainsaw". Was going to spray paint something like "sewage treatment kit" on the outside for further deterrent.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Gunna Do

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 07:24:05 PM »
Was going to spray paint something like "sewage treatment kit" on the outside for further deterrent.

LOL .  That'd be for cutting the larger logs up.  :-X ;)

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 07:29:29 PM »
I don;t have a flash storage idea, I just wrap mine in a Hessian sack and bungie it to the roof rack.. i must work on that.

But...You are meant to take the bar off if you plan to carry the saw into or through parks that say no chainsaw so that might sway you.
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline HerGU

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 07:54:59 PM »
We also recently bought the infront bag for our chainsaw, other half was happy. :D

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 08:12:03 PM »
Keep ours in a Stihl case,
($79) and then its in the tool box on the back of the camper.

Prevents the bar oil leaking over stuff and the fuel smell going through the Cruiser or Camper.

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline TOPNDR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 08:16:38 PM »
I have a Husqi, 16" bar I think.  I purchased it on a deal that included a large rectangular moulded box, that carries the saw, tools, oils.  The bar can be left in tact, or, a filler placed in the box and the bar removed.
'09 VX TTD Cruiser:- 6 speed auto, 650 nm torque plus bling
'09 Australian Off Road Quantum

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 09:05:57 PM »
Keep ours in a Stihl case,
($79)
I have one of these, but everytime I get th saw out theres oil and crap everywhere if it tips over at all while travelling (which is why I dnot always take it much to mates annoyance :))... Does yours do that or do I have a shagged seal - but its done it since new.

Also interested in what people store their fuel and stuff in while driving. Hate petrol smell...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 09:13:32 PM »
I store my fuel mix and bar oil in 1L primus fuel bottles, no smell, no mess.
http://www.primusaustralia.com.au/pdf/pg_5%20721950%20fuel%20bottle.pdf

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Wato

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 10:22:53 PM »
I use a Stihl travel case as well. I then pack this in the travel bag on the roofrack.

Lost, An old guy told me to put a piece of towel in the bottom to catch the oil, works a treat.

Craig
2003 3ltr Patrol
2003 Camel Beachcomber Camper Trailer

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 05:37:11 AM »
For 'normal' camping i take my 435 and it fits in the draw in the cruiser, the spare chain and tools are in a pencil case and like a lot of others here i use a 1.5l alloy fuel bottle. If i take the bigger saws they have simple draw string canvas bags to cover the power head. The fuel , chaps and tool box goes in the draw. Most saws syphon the chain oil out over time so if i think of it for the trip there and back i tip the oil back in the bottle to stop the mess
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 05:50:16 AM by darren »
Living the Dream.

Offline DANBRI

• "Canvas Undies Never Die"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.campingaustralia.org
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 08:01:49 AM »
I've been meaning to make a bag for my Husky T435 for a while, but I simply wrap it in a towel and stick it in the front camper box - so far so good.

For touring without the camper, it goes in one of the rear drawers and a small container of fuel gets strapped to the inside of the twin wheel carrier (in a wheel) as the fuel smell drives me bonkers.

I have one of those big plastic orange boxes for the 570 but it's rather weak and a bit of a joke - it won't last long. When I win lotto - I will buy space cases for freaken everything!

Offline Teabag

• The bush is my playground......
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Better to be looking at it than looking for it"
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 08:36:45 AM »
I find it is great as all my gear fits in and the chainsaw is fully protected. I keep 1L of premix in a trangia bottle,http://www.trangia.se/english/2917.trangia_accessories.html. Which will not spill and keeps the smell inside rather than through the cabin, 1L lasts a far while when we go away for a weekend or so. This bag keeps all in order and you can keep the saw ready for use. I also keep all my safety gear inside it.

GG

I have the same bag. Holds saw, bar oil, 2 stroke oil and fuel can. This the secures to the roof rack........
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with many goodies. Currently no camper but have had a Customline Camper, Kimberly Kamper and Jayco Hawk....Tenting and Swagging it now..

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 09:07:18 AM »

GG

I also have the same bag, and it stores easily in the front gull wing of the KK......best bit about the canvas bags is they don't take up any more room than the saw itself, so less lost room for packing in other stuff.....but it does usually smell a bit from fuel, but the storage side is sealed from the food side, so not a problem !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline cassgazz

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 07:48:07 PM »
This is what I use for the chainsaw when heading out bush.
Can fit small saw, 5 litre fuel can, chain bar oil, sharpening kit, 2kg gas bottle, plus few other little bits and pieces.

:cheers:

Offline Gunna Do

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 05:43:22 PM »
Thanks everyone for you input with this, and whilst I haven't solved the storage problem, I have added a bit of gear as recomended from people on here.  

I liked the idea of the smaller fuel bottles so I ordered two Primus 1 ltr bottles from the UK which cost about $54.00 delivered to my door (I went with the 1 ltr bottles as they matched the height of the saw almost perfectly).  I've also done away with my 12 volt Stihl sharpener and bought a Stihl sharpening kit (manual type), which I hope will keep my saw from cutting around corners, which seemed to happen after using the 12 volt sharpener.

This is the way I have stored my saw for about 20 years, and whilst it's not ideal, it'll have to do the job for a bit longer yet.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 06:24:10 AM by Gunna Do »

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 05:51:25 PM »
I've also done away with my 12 volt Stihl sharpener and bought a Stihl sharpening kit (manual type), which I hope will keep my saw from cutting around corners, which seemed to happen after using the 12 volt sharpener.

IMHO powered sharpeners take too much off and can get hot and reduce the temper of the teeth. With a good file, correct guide and vise you can get a chain sharpened in about 15 minutes.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Gunna Do

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 06:00:49 PM »
IMHO powered sharpeners take too much off and can get hot and reduce the temper of the teeth. With a good file, correct guide and vise you can get a chain sharpened in about 15 minutes.

Never really put two and two together and reallised it was the sharpener causing the problem.  After consulting a phantom-like chainsaw guru, I was pointed in the right direction.

Anyone want to buy a slightly used Stihl 12 volt chainsaw sharpener.  (PM if interested)

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2010, 06:31:50 PM »
Yep, it makes a huge difference having a properly sharpened saw

BTW http://4x4equip.com.au/ sell the Primus fuel bottles

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 05:56:15 AM »
I have a tool box on top of my roof rack that holds my chainsaw, oil, fuel, bag of tools, some ropes, in other words, things I do not need to get at that often.   It is sealed and works perfectly.  It is only a steel tool box, but it is lockable and light. I have it bolted through the bottom and sits behind my second spare wheel, which does not seem to make much difference to fuel economy.  I only use a hand file to sharpen the saw. Works just fine and is easy as. 

Just one hint! I know some poor fool who went to all of the trouble to carry his chainsaw on a big trip and was just salivating at the thought of heaps of fire wood, except. :-[  This fool did not check before the trip that the chainsaw was in good working order.  Well my wife, I mean his wife, just keep saying, ‘Surely you checked it before we left, surely etc etc etc’.  Apparently all of the fuel lines were a bit old and just crumpled.  To this day I think his wife still says, ‘Have you checked that the chainsaw works this time!’  I think the worst part of that trip was my wife, I mean his wife, having the greatest of pleasure in telling everyone we happen to meet while collecting firewood, ‘Gee, if only we had a chainsaw.’   Then telling the story! ::)
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010, 06:17:01 AM »
Huskys have a bit of a prob with their fuel lines perishing over time. One of mine did the other day. I carry a spare in the chainsaw box.
Living the Dream.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010, 06:18:25 AM »
Huskys have a bit of a prob with their fuel lines perishing over time. One of mine did the other day. I carry a spare in the chainsaw box.

Spare saw or fuel line? :)

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 06:21:52 AM »
Actually i did have 2 saws but i was ripping that big log i posted up about earlier and the 72 just wouldn't reach the center. Husky fuel lines are special coiled hose but a bit of normal fuel line will do in a pinch.
Living the Dream.