Author Topic: g'day all  (Read 3376 times)

Offline Taterstaff

• Learning the Ropes
g'day all
« on: January 15, 2016, 07:30:18 AM »
Hi all,
I've been finding some very informative info on this Forum of late so decided I  better sign up for a closer look.
I've only fairly recently introduced the wife and kids into the wonderful world of camping and with a fair bit of persuading and a now somewhat lighter wallet she has come around. 

We didn't have a massive budget to spend but I knew I had to get as much 'comfort' as I could with the dollars I had. We test drove a few Patrols and a v8 100 series but the boss (who would be using it as a daily) wasn't comfortable driving something so big everyday.
So we ended up settling for a 2009 Pathfinder TD Manual. I wasn't overly sold on the Pathy because after much reading on here they look to be somewhat of a soft-roader more than a genuine off roader, However most of our travelling wont involve flicking it into low range so I was happy enough with her choice. The family ford xr6 was shipped off and replaced with her new pride & joy. Only mods to date are a set of a/t tyres and an ARB bulbar (more to come and advice needed but I'll post in the correct thread) Next on the list was accommodation. I'm an avid hunter and spend weeks of the year up in the high country sleeping in my jolly swagman king size swag however the queen and the 2 billy lids weren't too impressed with my tent idea so I reluctantly drained my bank balance on a 2007 Jayco swan outback. Whilst it was a hefty investment I knew that if they we're comfortable when on the road and out camping I'd be able to talk them into plenty more trips to see this beautiful country of ours!

So far I've been pretty impressed with both the Pathy and the camper. The camper especially. Plenty of room and when I have the missus saying to me 'lets take the camper away this weekend' then I know I'm on a winner!'
We haven't done too many big trips as yet, mainly just 3-4 nighters either on the river or in caravan parks but Birdsville is on the plans for 2017 (after some mods to the pathy) and we are doing the east coast from Melbourne to Byron for 3 weeks this March. 

Look forward to gaining some advice and knowledge from all the experts and experienced off roaders on this site.
Cheers,
Tate

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: g'day all
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 07:38:13 AM »
Welcome to myswag Tate, sounds like you're all set!
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado
The following users thanked this post: Taterstaff

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 08:11:01 AM »
G'day and welcome to the forum. It's time to get out there and post some pics of your travels.

Cheers

Shane

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 08:32:55 AM »
Welcome aboard to the funny farm.
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

KingBilly

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 09:56:25 PM »
Welcome to myswag.  Congrats on the Pathie and Jayco  :cup:

Happy camping
KB

Offline paull

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 06:56:18 AM »
Welcome to my sway.
Sounds like you've got all you need to get away and have some fun.
Don't beat up on the Pathie too much. The new version is definitely a soft-roader but the model you have is a fully fledged 4WD. The old Pathfinders are seriously underrated. They never had the following of the Pajero's or the Prado's but they are still a great 4WD. It has all independent suspension (like the Pajero) so wheel travel is limited but it'll still do the job. I had a friend with one (his was the auto) and I drove it a few times and really liked it. Comfortable to drive, loads of space for the kids and luggage, good visibility. His stayed purely on road but I know others who lifted them, added mud tyres and bar work and have taken them seriously off road. Have fun with it. It's a great choice.
2020 Ford Ranger Wildtrak
2016 MR22BE Van

"I thought I could see the light at the end of the tunnel but it was only some bugger with a torch bringing me some more work."